Charles III: Coronation Information and Musings - Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the coronation guests (Queens and Princesses) wear tiaras? I think I read here on TRF that they are going to use it.

We do not know just yet, but can only hope so.

Tomorrow's papers are reporting that Joe Biden plans to turn down an invitation to the Coronation, although Jill Biden may attend.

Tomorrow's papers are reporting that Joe Biden plans to turn down an invitation to the Coronation, although Jill Biden may attend.

Has the POTUS always been invited to Coronations? Or is it a novelty of Charles III?

Has the POTUS always been invited to Coronations? Or is it a novelty of Charles III?

I don’t know if he was invited, but President Eisenhower did not attend Queen Elizabeth II ‘s coronation in 1953.

1953 was before the jet age, and intercontinental travel by heads of state was still a novelty. The US president had only visited the UK twice before 1953, and one of those visits was just a brief stopover. Eisenhower himself wouldn't end up visiting until 1959.

Why should the US President attend the coronation? Biden didn't invite the late Queen to his inauguration so why would anyone expect him to be invited to the coronation?

I wish they would reveal more details.
We don't even know the time, let alone dress codes or invitees.

They must have all that scheduled by now so why not announce it?

Why should the US President attend the coronation? Biden didn't invite the late Queen to his inauguration so why would anyone expect him to be invited to the coronation?

Perhaps they're doing it like the funeral and giving a blanket invitation to (almost) every country with diplomatic relations to send whoever they want.

I hope this is not the case because it would be pretty strange with the abundance of 'Historic Fur' and all sorts of significant and insignificant clothes, cloths, vessels, plates, etc. that are in some way no longer politically correct. Ivory is beautiful and it breaks my heart no see some beautiful small pieces I have being deemed unacceptable,

I think the Ivory Scepter is a work of art. A relic from ages past and recognised as such. Hiding it away proves nothing and is probably a sort of hierocracy, sort of "if you don't see it, we don't own it and our hands are clean". If a bygone royal had hunted the elephant whose tusk comprises the Sceptre I would say think it wise not use it.

But that is what the Coronation is all about. Part of the history of the British Royal Family that binds the UK and some Commonwealth countries and to use the Sceptre with the the ceremony being shown around the world, perhaps people will understand how beautiful it is and start to understand what drove the Ivory trade and why it is forbidden just as fur is sort of in the same boat and even more, importantly that there is no virtue in hiding it from everyone like it never happened. Showing the treasure of the Crown jewels is important depending on the reasons why there are the caveats covering some pieces.

It seems the Reverend Richard Coles has been chosen to carry the spoon for the anointing.

I am so happy for Richard. He is a lovely fellow. I adored his contributions to Radio 4, his current podcast, the rabbit hole detectives, with Earl Spencer, his books and his contributions to popular music as a member of the Communards.

I hope this is not the case because it would be pretty strange with the abundance of 'Historic Fur' and all sorts of significant and insignificant clothes, cloths, vessels, plates, etc. that are in some way no longer politically correct. Ivory is beautiful and it breaks my heart no see some beautiful small pieces I have being deemed unacceptable,

I think the Ivory Scepter is a work of art. A relic from ages past and recognised as such. Hiding it away proves nothing and is probably a sort of hierocracy, sort of "if you don't see it, we don't own it and our hands are clean". If a bygone royal had hunted the elephant whose tusk comprises the Sceptre I would say think it wise not use it.

But that is what the Coronation is all about. Part of the history of the British Royal Family that binds the UK and some Commonwealth countries and to use the Sceptre with the the ceremony being shown around the world, perhaps people will understand how beautiful it is and start to understand what drove the Ivory trade and why it is forbidden just as fur is sort of in the same boat and even more, importantly that there is no virtue in hiding it from everyone like it never happened. Showing the treasure of the Crown jewels is important depending on the reasons why there are the caveats covering some pieces.

An alternative can to display historic items during the ceremony indeed but not to "use" these. It is not that someone is no King because he preferred not to use ermine or ivory.

Biden will not be the first US President to be absent at the Coronation. No US Presidents has ever attended UK coronation, and also no UK Monarch has ever attended the US Presidential Inauguration.

Apparently Martin van Buren attended Queen Victoria's Coronation!

Apparently Martin van Buren attended Queen Victoria's Coronation!

His son, John van Buren, attended Queen Victoria's coronation, but I am not sure about President van Buren himself.

I wish they would reveal more details.
We don't even know the time, let alone dress codes or invitees.

They must have all that scheduled by now so why not announce it?

They may not want to reveal every detail because in the times of past coronations every single detail was not announced in advance.

It seems the Reverend Richard Coles has been chosen to carry the spoon for the anointing.

I am so happy for Richard. He is a lovely fellow. I adored his contributions to Radio 4, his current podcast, the rabbit hole detectives, with Earl Spencer, his books and his contributions to popular music as a member of the Communards.

I’m pretty sure this was an April Fool

Football-style terrace seats for Coronation amid fears of thin crowds (archive)

Football-style terraces will be deployed at King Charles’s Coronation next month to make crowds appear more packed in photographs amid fears of low attendance.

Coronation organisers plan to put the public in tiered seating by the side of the road during the King’s procession, rather than allowing onlookers to stand on the pavement.

------

Negative spin aside, the same thing was done along parts of the route in 1953.

----------

‘No coronets’ as peers told to dress down for Coronation by Buckingham Palace (archive)

Members of the House of Lords traditionally wear a special coronation robe for the occasion made of scarlet velvet with a collar of white fur, and a coronet that determines their rank in the British peerage.

But those invited to the Coronation on May 6 have been told they may only wear their usual parliamentary ermine, used at the state opening of Parliament each year, or standard business dress.

------

This is, unfortunately, not a huge surprise. The whole coronation rig was far too expensive for many peers even in 1953, and they were allowed to wear parliamentary robes if they had no role in the ceremony.

Last edited:
But those invited to the Coronation on May 6 have been told they may only wear their usual parliamentary ermine, used at the state opening of Parliament each year, or standard business dress.

Oh, how I wish that was an April Fool's joke.

Why? We in the UK have to pay for this, and many peers are not that well off.

No one in the UK has to pay for someone's personal attire. Nor am I even expecting to make individuals shell out for a coronet or robes. There is no reason, however, to not keep the dress code as white tie for an historical, and rare, event.

No one in the UK has to pay for someone's personal attire. Nor am I even expecting to make individuals shell out for a coronet or robes. There is no reason, however, to not keep the dress code as white tie for an historical, and rare, event.

If it is going to be business suits for members of Parliament and peers, what are the chances that British and foreign royals will wear tiaras and grand jewels? They might not actually.

If it is going to be business suits for members of Parliament and peers, what are the chances that British and foreign royals will wear tiaras and grand jewels? They might not actually.

In Amsterdam we saw a mix in white tie (official guests, Corps Diplomatique), jacquet (members of the Government and the High Colleges of State) and subdued coloured business suit (visitors whom were lucky to have been balloted a seat to witness the ceremony).

I can understand no one can enforce thw whole Abbey to purchase or rent white tie. It is 2023 and the Coronation is no longer exclusively for the high and the mighty, so to say.

A look at the Kings Coronation Souvenirs

According to Wim Dehandschutter, King Philippe and Queen Mathilde were invited to the Coronation.

And a question, is true the fact of the Princess of Wales will not wear a tiara at Coronation?

And a question, is true the fact of the Princess of Wales will not wear a tiara at Coronation?
There has been no official or even widely-reported information about what the royal ladies will wear. People magazine in the USA is the sole source of the most recent intrigue.

I personally wouldn't be shocked either way.

Biden will not be the first US President to be absent at the Coronation. No US Presidents has ever attended UK coronation, and also no UK Monarch has ever attended the US Presidential Inauguration.
The attendance of Biden at the funeral of Elizabeth II was rather the exception, not the rule! No president in history ever attended a coronation. First Ladies sometimes attended official or state occasions like the Queen Mother´s funeral (Mrs. Bush) or Nancy Reagan at the wedding of Charles and Diana (which, I think, was a state occasion).

According to Wim Dehandschutter, King Philippe and Queen Mathilde were invited to the Coronation.

For Queen Elsabeth II Coronation :King Baudouin or King Leopold of the Begians did not attend but Albert Prince of Liege
For Luxembourg Grand Duchess Charlotte and Prince Felix did not attend but Hed Grand Dukes Jean and Josephine Charlotte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom