Charles III: Coronation Information and Musings - Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will any of Prince Philip's relatives such as the Margrave of Baden attend the Coronation?

Charles will probably invite a number of his German relatives. They are as closely related to him as the Snowdons, Chattos, Gloucesters and Kents afterall.

It seems that Aussies won't be getting a public holiday for the coronation. No state has announced a public holiday so far - WA looked like doing so earlier in the week but has now backtracked and the Victorian Premier has said that there are enough public holidays and so won't be approving another one.

With the coronation being on a Saturday night here I wasn't expecting one ... and will look forward to the 'viewing figures' up against the football coverage down here. Footy normally dominates the TV figures on Friday and Saturday nights throughout the winter.

Was looking forward to this event but have just been told that our annual dinner dance, one of our major fundraising evenings, for a charity organisation I belong to is on that night and although they tried to change the date were unable to do so so I won't be watching it at all. The next day is a church service, sausage sizzle BBQ and concert hosted by the home branch of the district branch chairperson and that means I will be busy all weekend with setting up our hall, decorating the dinner dance venue and then back to the hall to set up, help run the event and then clean up (Monday will be a sleeping day I think).

Richmond, Geelong and Melbourne footy clubs are all playing that day, and all have large fan bases, and plenty of media attention. Melbourne is a footy town and I expect high TV figures for those matches. I probably won’t be watching. I have a sailing day (weather permitting) followed by a family birthday in the evening. Nobody I know is having conversations about the forthcoming Coronation and it’s less than six weeks to go now.

Last edited:
It is also the special weekend round in Brisbane for the NRL when all the teams play at Suncorp over the weekend.

No one I know is interested. No one in my organisation even realised the date clash until last weekend when someone raised the issue - we have had the date booked for two years now as we normally have the first Saturday in May for the event.

I have only just ended a 60 day cruise on Queen Mary 2 (Southampton to Sydney) and whenever I spoke to any of the British people a total lack on interest. I had a lot of 'why bother' and 'if he wants one he should be paying for it' comments and these are from largely retired wealthy Brits - the ones that would be expected to support the monarchy. There was more support from the few Americans on board.

Must be a different response in different parts of Australia then, because I've heard a lot of excited chitchat about it among people in statewide charities that I'm connected too plus various communities both online and off. Many people are hoping to watch it for the historical value alone. :flowers:

Even the members of my organisation from QLD had no idea that our dinner dance clashed with the coronation and most of them are coming to NSW for the weekend - they are all retired people so in the age range that polls show support the monarchy.

I am associated with a number of state and nationwide charities and none show any interest. The one that met last week actually sings God Save the King at the end of our meetings but simply no interest in the coronation (next year we will vote on removing that from the ending of our meetings - last time it was voted on was in the 1980s and it lost big time but it is expected to be successful next year).

As the school where I used to teach, and spent Monday as a casual teacher not one question. Normally this far out from a royal event I am getting all sorts of questions - just no interest at all from all my friends and family.

My CoE church is also not planning anything special. Normally when there is a royal event there is a celebratory (or memorial) event and service but the minister has said 'no one wants to celebrate the coronation of an adulterous man so no special service on the Sunday morning'.

That is possibly a major reason why the state governments appear to not be interested in giving a public holiday - lack of interest as well as the economic situation and the political leanings of most of our state and federal governments.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised that we're not getting a public holiday for the Coronation. There was significant backlash for the public holiday for the Queen's death as it caused major disruptions. South Australia declared it a half day so businesses could reopen at midday.

No one in my circle are going to watch it. They thought I was mad for watching all the events after the Queen's death!

I have only just ended a 60 day cruise on Queen Mary 2 (Southampton to Sydney) and whenever I spoke to any of the British people a total lack on interest. I had a lot of 'why bother' and 'if he wants one he should be paying for it' comments and these are from largely retired wealthy Brits - the ones that would be expected to support the monarchy. There was more support from the few Americans on board.

In my experience, we Brits seem to excel at cynicism and grumbling about almost everything (eg Jubilees, London Olympics, royal weddings) but once the event is upon us, we throw ourselves into it with energy and enthusiasm, and the majority of the UK goes a bit bananas for a few days.

Unless they are confirmed republicans, I suspect your travelling companions will spend the coronation weekend watching the event on TV and attending local celebratory events like the rest of us.

I'm not surprised that we're not getting a public holiday for the Coronation. There was significant backlash for the public holiday for the Queen's death as it caused major disruptions. South Australia declared it a half day so businesses could reopen at midday.

No one in my circle are going to watch it. They thought I was mad for watching all the events after the Queen's death!

Don't let peer pressure decide your interest in royals, history and major events like the coronation. As the saying goes, you do you ;)

Last edited:
Yes, but it’s not a major event in Australia, that’s the point. It’s half a world away. I’m an ex British migrant I’ve been a history buff all my life, but I won’t be watching it either as I have a sailing/family birthday weekend on.

As I said in my post before, nobody in my circle of friends, work colleagues etc (several of whom are also ex Brits) have expressed interest in it in the last few weeks. Maybe excitement here in Aus will rise to fever pitch through April. I don’t know, but somehow doubt it.

My feeling has always been, and maybe it’s showing now, Aussies had a great deal of respect for the Queen and her life of service. However there isn’t the same feeling for King Charles. And I believe that in his reign, and not too far in the future, Australia will become a republic.

Last edited:
In my experience, we Brits seem to excel at cynicism and grumbling about almost everything (eg Jubilees, London Olympics, royal weddings) but once the event is upon us, we throw ourselves into it with energy and enthusiasm, and the majority of the UK goes a bit bananas for a few days.

Unless they are confirmed republicans, I suspect your travelling companions will spend the coronation weekend watching the event on TV and attending local celebratory events like the rest of us.

I recall the "grumbling" about the 2012 Summer Olympics and with the various Jubilees. Then when the day actually arrives, there is a great swell of enthusiasm and pride! :britflag:

I love watching royal events personally but I have never seen anyone in my neighbourhood; town etc give a hoot or do anything when there is a big occasion on. When you watch the TV coverage of these things it always looks like people in the UK are really getting involved but I think most people just enjoy the day off they get (if there is one) and use it to do something with their families.

Here in the Northeast Atlantic USA states we are 6 hours away and I'll try to find a YouTube or online broadcast to watch the event. I don't want the annoying TV commentary or use of royal experts to distract me with nonsense, references to current family issues or the so called 'insider sources told me..." lies.

It's an historical event, first UK coronation of the century and the millennium and maybe the last one I'll see too. I want it unfiltered by commentary on my monitor except the one we will al do in here as the coronation goes.
I hope RF breaks all attendance records on that day!

I recall the "grumbling" about the 2012 Summer Olympics and with the various Jubilees. Then when the day actually arrives, there is a great swell of enthusiasm and pride! :britflag:

That's right! Every town and village around me was bedecked in jubilee flags and bunting. Every shop front had a special display and even the post boxes were decorated, some with commemorative knitted hats! I'm sure it will be the same for this coronation, slow to the boil but then we'll break out the bunting, the cardboard crowns, the summer fete games, the tea urns, the pasties and the beer tents. :britflag:

That's right! Every town and village around me was bedecked in jubilee flags and bunting. Every shop front had a special display and even the post boxes were decorated, some with commemorative knitted hats! I'm sure it will be the same for this coronation, slow to the boil but then we'll break out the bunting, the cardboard crowns, the summer fete games, the tea urns, the pasties and the beer tents. :britflag:

I think a lot of what happens depends on what part of the UK you live in. Some regions are definitely far more enthusiastic than others.

Yes, but it’s not a major event in Australia, that’s the point. It’s half a world away. I’m an ex British migrant I’ve been a history buff all my life, but I won’t be watching it either as I have a sailing/family birthday weekend on.

As I said in my post before, nobody in my circle of friends, work colleagues etc (several of whom are also ex Brits) have expressed interest in it in the last few weeks. Maybe excitement here in Aus will rise to fever pitch through April. I don’t know, but somehow doubt it.

My feeling has always been, and maybe it’s showing now, Aussies had a great deal of respect for the Queen and her life of service. However there isn’t the same feeling for King Charles. And I believe that in his reign, and not too far in the future, Australia will become a republic.
If Australia wnats to become a republic, why dont they just get on with it and have doen with it? If they dont want teh monarchy, I doubt if anyone in the RF will be crying

I think a lot of what happens depends on what part of the UK you live in. Some regions are definitely far more enthusiastic than others.
Yes, I think you're right. I'm in the South-West, where it's predominantly villages and market towns, which will definitely rise to the occasion.

If Australia wnats to become a republic, why dont they just get on with it and have doen with it? If they dont want teh monarchy, I doubt if anyone in the RF will be crying

I don't know about crying but it would be a big blow to the prestige of the BRF and I'm sure they would worry about other countries, including the UK, wanting to follow suit.

I wonder if everyone just keeps an eye out to see who will be the first one to hang up some bunting and flags? Then they all decide to join in.?

I wonder if everyone just keeps an eye out to see who will be the first one to hang up some bunting and flags? Then they all decide to join in.?
Around here, it's usually the shops that go first with window displays and the local councils put bunting up on the main village and town streets. I live in a village by the sea and we have a small local town about 3 miles away. I'll provide a commentary in this thread when I start to see coronation decorations. Perhaps I should get an online photo account then I could share photos here.

When Australia does become a republic it won't be because we don't like King Charles/William/George etc, but only because we'd have all agreed on an economical, strategically viable and workable replacement. [.....] It will come eventually, but we're not going to throw all our toys out of the pram precipitously, no matter what our local republicans would have you believe. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Testing swords for the Coronation...

So, does this mean, that every English Monarch has its own sword? The collection must be absolut priceless! My, how much effort goes into making the blade!

Had the Queen her own sword too?

I'm in Australia (Brisbane) and in my 40's and work with people from various backgrounds. In my large workplace - those of us who have come to Brisbane from the UK (particularly as adults) are planning to watch it on the TV but there isn't going to be any big celebrations by anyone. A couple of people from New Zealand and someone from Canada are also going to watch it but the actual Aussies or those from other countries aren't really interested.

Where I work people want to spend a weekend out with friends and family either going to dinner or at the footy. They might see a snippet on the news later but not sit through the whole thing.

Thank you for this information. Assuming that there's no mistake in the Wikipedia article, I have a couple of questions:

1. When the article states "Child of a Sovereign", does it mean, as I presume, any British Sovereign as opposed to just children of HM The King?
2. Given that there's no distinction, would HRH The Prince of Wales wear the same coronet as his brother, uncles, and aunt in spite being the heir apparent?
3. Would HRH The Princess Royal's children be allowed to wear coronets because they are "Child[ren] of a daughter of a sovereign" in spite being untitled?
4. Will those with royal dukedoms wear the coronet for a duke instead of a prince?

1 Yes, any monarch living or dead
2 The heir apparent has his own special coronet
3 Yes the could but they won't
4 No, they'd wear the coronets of the (a) monarch's (younger) sons or male line grandsons

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom