Charles III: Coronation Information and Musings - Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I highly doubt that the Sussex children will come, and I doubt Louis will be there because he’s too young. I also doubt that the Sussexes themselves will come either.

Surely that small children are not going to participate to coronation. And I am not sure if Sussex couple are going to participate anyway. But in other hand they are quiet unpredictable.

I am nto sure about Charles but IIRC Anne wasn't allowed to participate to her mother's coronation.

We better should compare the upcoming coronation with the one of Edward VII. He was about 62 years old and not 27.
But to tell the truth I can' t imagine that pomp for Charles. 70 years ago or earlier was simply a total different time and is IMO not fitting nowadays any more ( and we have a divorced King now after all....)

Princess Farahnaz of Iran was four and a half when she took part in her parents' joint coronation.
People did that back then, but now people are more understanding that sometimes young children shouldn’t be part because of noise, fidgeting and all that will be televised.

Stefanie said:
We better should compare the upcoming coronation with the one of Edward VII. He was about 62 years old and not 27.
But to tell the truth I can' t imagine that pomp for Charles. 70 years ago or earlier was simply a total different time and is IMO not fitting nowadays any more ( and we have a divorced King now after all....)

I am sure there will be some updates to reflect the changing times. Less nobility in the congragation and more people selected on personal merit for example. I would be surprised if young daughters of the high nobility will still carry the train of Queen Camilla. But at the same time most of the rituals and pump will probably stay the same.

It is not clear to me if there were many substantial differences between the coronations of Edward VII and Queen Elizabeth II, apart from the latter's coronation being broadcasted.

In terms of financing, we are heading towards a recession in Europe. I imagine criticism can be expected about the costs. In the UK they tend to be creative in such matters and perhaps look for private donors to finance parts of it. Not that that will decrease any criticism of course.

Last edited:
I am sure there will be some updates to reflect the changing times. Less nobility in the congragation and more people selected on personal merit for example. I would be surprised if young daughters of the high nobility will still carry the train of Queen Camilla for example. But at the same time most of the rituals and pump will stay the same.

It is not clear to me if there were many substantial differences between the coronations of Edward VII and Queen Elizabeth II, apart from the latter's coronation being broadcasted.

In terms of financing, we are heading towards a recession in Europe. I imagine criticism can be expected about the costs. In the UK they tend to be creative in such matters and perhaps look for private donors to finance parts of it. Not that that will decrease any criticism of course.

And a divorced Queen...

This seems like a good time to remind everyone that although the moderating team has allowed a certain amount of flexibility regarding our rule of not having Sussex related discussion in any thread other than their own (currently closed), this is not the place initiate a debate. Stick to the topic, please, or your post will be deleted or edited.

Now that Louis has started making public appearances, I can’t see him not being at his grandfather’s coronation. George VI’s coronation was on the date intended for his brother, which meant more than a year from accession. If it were next Summer, it would be the first time in over 200 years than the arrangements were made in less than a year, and Louis would be 5. Now that he’s started school, he’ll probably be better at sitting still for longer periods by then.

I see no reason why the littlest children can't witness a small portion of the coronation. Prince Charles famously attended part of his mother's and was 4 and a half years old. Even the toddlers could show up for 15 minutes.

I see no reason why the littlest children can't witness a small portion of the coronation. Prince Charles famously attended part of his mother's and was 4 and a half years old. Even the toddlers could show up for 15 minutes.

Small children should be home with Nanny. its not fair on them to drag them to a ceremony, and then they act up.

I really hope Prince Louis will be at the Coronation....he was one of my favorite things about the Platinum Jubilee.

Will some new coronets be made for the Coronation?

I think there'd have to be unless they completely eliminated that mode of dress for the coronation. Even so, I don't think they ever stopped making them, for peers who want a curiosity and have money to burn.

If the royal children attend, and I think at least some will, I wonder if they'll wear coronets and robes as the princesses did in 1937.

Last edited:
Posts about Belgian titles have been removed.

This thread is about the future coronation of King Charles III

I really hope Prince Louis will be at the Coronation....he was one of my favorite things about the Platinum Jubilee.

It would be spectacular for Prince Louis to attend. It would be marvelous to see the Coronation through the eyes of a young royal boy.

I not only expect Harry to attend but to formally take part at the homage stage and swear to be Charles' 'liege man of life and limb and earthly worship' as he will also swear to William and probably George in time.

This has a note of austerity and commitment to it, but can these obligations be taken seriously if the liege man resides in another country ?

Last edited:
We will have to wait and see. It is very uncomfortable and will need to be regilded (according the the guide I had the last time I went to The Mews) and that will be very expensive. It needs to be done every time it is used I have been told.

I hope it is used but fear that the decision will be that it is simply too expensive to use anymore.

I can see them going with cars rather than carriages for most if not all royal events going forward. I hope I am wrong but I suspect that things like animal rights groups will get involved and force a rethink about using horses to pull such heavy carriages.

Here is my guess for some of the reigning Royal guests at Charles III coronation:

- Norway (CP Haakon and CP Mette-Marit);
- Sweden (CP Victoria and Prince Daniel);
- Denmark (CP Frederik and CP Mary);
- Netherlands (Princess of Orange);
- Belgium (Duchess of Brabant);
- Luxembourg (HGD Guillaume and HGD Stephanie);
- Spain (Infanta Elena -before Oct- Princess of Asturias -after Oct-);
- Monaco (Princess Caroline);
- Liechtenstein (Prince Alois and Princess Sophie);
- Morocco (Prince Moulay Hassan or his uncle Prince Moulay Rachid);
- Jordan (CP Hussein);
- Thailand (Princess Bajrakitiyabha or Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn);
- Bhutan (a brother of the King);
- Japan (CP Akishino couple);
- Brunei (CP Billah and CP Sarah);
- Tonga (Tupouto'a 'Ulukalala and his wife).

Last edited:
Here is my guess for some of the reigning Royal guests at Charles III coronation:

- Norway (CP Haakon and CP Mette-Marit);
- Sweden (CP Victoria and Prince Daniel);
- Denmark (CP Frederik and CP Mary);
- Netherlands (Princess of Orange);
- Belgium (Duchess of Brabant);
- Luxembourg (HGD Guillaume and HGD Stephanie);
- Spain (Infanta Elena -before Oct- Princess of Asturias -after Oct-);
- Monaco (Princess Caroline);
- Liechtenstein (Prince Alois and Princess Sophie);
- Morocco (Prince Moulay Hassan or his uncle Prince Moulay Rachid);
- Jordan (CP Hussein);
- Thailand (Princess Bajrakitiyabha or Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn);
- Bhutan (a brother of the King);
- Japan (CP Akishino couple);
- Brunei (CP Billah and CP Sarah);
- Tonga (Tupouto'a 'Ulukalala and his wife).

The Princess of Hanover would be my choice for Monaco and The Infanta Elena ,Duchess of Lugo for Spain.

And Crown Prince Hussein - maybe with his then newly wedded wife?

It would be grand to see the Gold Coach transport the monarch but if that's not possible then maybe it could be used to convey the crowns from BP to the abbey. At least then it would be seen & have a part in the procession.

The Diamond Jubilee State Coach could carry the monarch there & back. The Wales's could go in the Australian State Coach & the rest in state landaus.

Cars just aren't the same at all.

It would be grand to see the Gold Coach transport the monarch but if that's not possible then maybe it could be used to convey the crowns from BP to the abbey. At least then it would be seen & have a part in the procession.

The Diamond Jubilee State Coach could carry the monarch there & back. The Wales's could go in the Australian State Coach & the rest in state landaus.

It woudl cost a fortune to do it up, so IMO it should not be used.

The heads of state and foreign royalty would probably be greatly disappointed if they had to travel to Westminster Abbey in a bus. After all, they are not tourists. They are here to attend a coronation.

Traditionally Heads of State do not attend coronations, enthronements etc. This is because protocol dictates that Heads of State, when all together take precedence based on the length of their tenure as Head of State and the monarch being crowned would thus be the lowest in terms of precedence.

I would expect the Crown Prince/ess to attend if of an age to do so.

More and more events like this are being reduced in size and the use of buses are quite commonplace as we will see on Monday when so many will be travelling by bus to the Abbey for the funeral.

The problem with the Gold Coach is two fold - 1 it cost millions to refurbish each time it is used as it has to be regilded each time (I was told, in 2002 that it cost over 6 million pounds for it to be done that year so I imagine about 20 million pounds now).

In addition it is very heavy and animals rights people are becoming increasingly vocal about the cruelty to the horses in asking them to pull a coach that weighs a number of tons through the streets.

Why does it need to be regilded? How can gold wear down from a trip over the Mall? That is really a "sandwich with monkey" (bogus story).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom