Charles III: Coronation Information and Musings - Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It feels wrong to talk about the coronation but I have a Question, most likely we will see heirs to the throne at coronation, Like The Crown Prince of Denmark, Norway and Victoria of Sweden, The Princess of Orange and Duchess of Brabant are "pretty safe" but what about the Princess of Asturias? Leonor will be17th next month and depending on when the coronation takes place she would not be of legal age. Hence my question, if the coronation is before October 31, 2023 and Leonor hasn't swore allegiance yet, could she still be the official representative? Or would Elena then travel to the coronation?

I expect Queen Letizia to represent Spain at the coronation.

The spouse of the Sovereign can represent the Sovereign if the heir is still a minor (or for other reasons not available to attend) - alternatively another family member (mostly sibling) can attend.

Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands did so for Elizabeth II's coronation as Juliana's heir Beatrix was 15 at that time.

Will Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis of Wales attend the Coronation?

Will Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis of Wales attend the Coronation?

Oh I’m sure they will. It’s too huge an occasion and too specifically meaningful for their family to miss.

Maybe not Louis? He’s still a little young for very formal and solemn occasions, though he’s clearly great at occasions with more levity. He might stay with his nanny and join on the balcony.

Louis will be older than Charles was when he went to his mother's coronation. He mightn't be there for the entire service but I would expect him to be there to see his grandfather crowned and his father make his homage to The King.

And what about the Sussex family?

They will attend. It is after all Harry's father who will be crowned.

It feels wrong to talk about the coronation but I have a Question, most likely we will see heirs to the throne at coronation, Like The Crown Prince of Denmark, Norway and Victoria of Sweden, The Princess of Orange and Duchess of Brabant are "pretty safe" but what about the Princess of Asturias? Leonor will be17th next month and depending on when the coronation takes place she would not be of legal age. Hence my question, if the coronation is before October 31, 2023 and Leonor hasn't swore allegiance yet, could she still be the official representative? Or would Elena then travel to the coronation?

Leonor is too young for such engagements… Queen Letizia or Infanta Elena is more likely… Wether The Princess of Orange and The Duchess of Brabant will go depends on if they are on summer break from University i think… The coronation is usually held on a weekday and not over the weekend… Otherwise i would expect Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien for Netherlands, and Princess Astrid and Prince Lorentz for Belgium.

Last edited:
And what about the Sussex family?

I not only expect Harry to attend but to formally take part at the homage stage and swear to be Charles' 'liege man of life and limb and earthly worship' as he will also swear to William and probably George in time.

As for the Sussex children - Lilibet would be too young, just as Anne was at the Queen's coronation. Archie, like Louis, maybe for the actual moment of crowing. Archie would be three. Charles was four and he was clearly bored and according to The Queen's own words he was only there for about '10 minutes'.

I not only expect Harry to attend but to formally take part at the homage stage and swear to be Charles' 'liege man of life and limb and earthly worship' as he will also swear to William and probably George in time.

As for the Sussex children - Lilibet would be too young, just as Anne was at the Queen's coronation. Archie, like Louis, maybe for the actual moment of crowing. Archie would be three. Charles was four and he was clearly bored and according to The Queen's own words he was only there for about '10 minutes'.

He’ll be four by then too

That picture of a bored Charles is a classic. No surprise- given his age.

I’m sure Harry will attend too.

The spouse of the Sovereign can represent the Sovereign if the heir is still a minor (or for other reasons not available to attend) - alternatively another family member (mostly sibling) can attend.

Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands did so for Elizabeth II's coronation as Juliana's heir Beatrix was 15 at that time.

For these heirs who just reach adulthood like Elisabeth and Catharina-Amalia (and maybe Leonor), even if they attend they may attend together with their mother or other representative from the family

I expect Queen Letizia to represent Spain at the coronation.

Normall reigning sovereigns do not attend the coronation out of tradition. Foreign royalty will send a senior member of their respective royal family.

Queen Letizia isn't the 'reigning monarch' though but the consort

I do agree though a senior royal will attend if the decision is that the heir apparent is too young ... though how young is 'too young'?

There may be an exception as Albert may attend (which he attended the Dutch inauguration). I wish Charlene, who formerly is the citizen of commonwealth, will represent her husband this time, but I could only wish:sleep:

Queen Letizia isn't the 'reigning monarch' though but the consort

I do agree though a senior royal will attend if the decision is that the heir apparent is too young ... though how young is 'too young'?

Could Felipe's sister represent Spain if Leonor can't?

Could Felipe's sister represent Spain if Leonor can't?

Definitely yes, Albert of Belgium represented his brother Baudouin in Elizabeth II's coronation and Margaret represented her sister Elizabeth II i Juliana's inauguration . Technically the monarch could send whoever they want, like BRF was represented by their ambassador in Fabiola's funeral.

Definitely yes, Albert of Belgium represented his brother Baudouin in Elizabeth II's coronation and Margaret represented her sister Elizabeth II i Juliana's inauguration . Technically the monarch could send whoever they want, like BRF was represented by their ambassador in Fabiola's funeral.

For example at the 1953 coronation Denmark was represented by Prince Axel and Princess Margaretha, not by the King's brother Prince Knud.

In the 1911 second procession to Westminster Abbey there were state landaus for members of the British royal family. The fifth contained the children of King George V and Queen Mary: The Prince of Wales, Princess Mary, and Princes Albert, Henry, and George.
Did Prince John attend?

In the 1911 second procession to Westminster Abbey there were state landaus for members of the British royal family. The fifth contained the children of King George V and Queen Mary: The Prince of Wales, Princess Mary, and Princes Albert, Henry, and George.
Did Prince John attend?
I don’t think John attended.

I highly doubt that the Sussex children will come, and I doubt Louis will be there because he’s too young. I also doubt that the Sussexes themselves will come either.

Doesn't Prince Harry plan to become the citizen of the United States?

When has Harry ever stated or hinted that? On the contrary he’s spoken of his pride in serving in the British Armed Forces under his grandmother and Colonel in Chief. He has kept Frogmore Cottage at Windsor and would have visited the UK more in the last couple of years if it hadn’t been for Covid.

He will be there as the King’s son and will take part in the ceremony in paying homage.

Last edited:
Will the Crown Princes of Denmark, Norway and Sweden be at the coronation?
It's most likely.
In Belgium maybe Queen Mathilde and Princess Elisabeth.
And from the Netherlands perhaps Queen Maxima and Princess Catharina-Amalia.
And from Spain maybe Queen Letizia.

It's not the place for very young children. At best they'll be bored and fidget, at worse they'll start screaming and crying. George, Charlotte, Savannah, Isla and Mia will probably go, but the others are probably a bit too young.

I also doubt that the Sussexes themselves will come either.

In n ormal circumstances, you would expect Harry and Meghan to attend. But since nothing in normal when it comes to H&M, perhaps the question cannot truely be answered till we know what is in Harry's book.

Will the Crown Princes of Denmark, Norway and Sweden be at the coronation?
It's most likely.
In Belgium maybe Queen Mathilde and Princess Elisabeth.
And from the Netherlands perhaps Queen Maxima and Princess Catharina-Amalia.
And from Spain maybe Queen Letizia.

I think you are right, but lets see. Perhaps from the Netherlands, it is Beatrix that accompanies C-A.

Last edited by a moderator:
Normall reigning sovereigns do not attend the coronation out of tradition. Foreign royalty will send a senior member of their respective royal family.

Queen Letizia is a queen consort, not a reigning sovereign.

He has never mentioned any such intention. If he became a U.S. citizen, he would have to renounce any allegiance to a foreign monarch, including his father. He would also have to renounce his British titles.

Last edited:
It's not the place for very young children. At best they'll be bored and fidget, at worse they'll start screaming and crying. George, Charlotte, Savannah, Isla and Mia will probably go, but the others are probably a bit too young.

Princess Farahnaz of Iran was four and a half when she took part in her parents' joint coronation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom