Charles III: Coronation Information and Musings - Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Charles III: Coronation Musings and Information

You can use this thread to discuss, muse and share information about the future coronation of King Charles III.

-> Please note that posts about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be deleted from this topic.

Last edited:
Now it's time to ask: what will King Charles III's coronation look like?
I think the traditions of the coronations of British monarchs will be maintained.

I think the traditions of the coronations of British monarchs will be maintained.

Hopefully as it will definitely be huge fanfare.

Last edited:

Probaly in about a year, as otherwise it would be in Winter and i don't think they will wait until 2024,

I think it will be slightly slimmed down.

I think it will be slightly slimmed down.

Some of it will simply have to be. 1953's procession back to the Palace would be nearly impossible to stage today as the armed forces are a small fraction of what they were.

I would expect a modernised version of the coronation that took place almost 70 years ago.

With an older monarch and a time where things can be planned and arranged faster I’m curious to see if they will wait a year.

I think it will take place in the warmer months to bring in millions of tourists.

However, it will have to be greatly simplified compared to the one in 1953 when Britain still had a colonial Empire, and thousands of troops marched in the procession.

I think it will take place in the warmer months to bring in millions of tourists.

However, it will have to be greatly simplified compared to the one in 1953 when Britain still had a colonial Empire, and thousands of troops marched in the procession.

I agree with this and I also think it will take place faster than normal. I think May or June is possible of 2023 is possible.

2nd June 2023 would be exactly 70 years after his mother’s.

Shouldn't a full year of mourning pass?:ermm:

I think the biggest reason we've seen year-long waits (or longer) between the accession and coronation is not necessarily to observe a full year of mourning, but to have better weather.

George III passed away January 29, 1820 - George IV coronation July 19, 1821
George IV passed away June 26, 1830 - William IV coronation Sept 8, 1831
William IV passed away June 20, 1837 - Victoria coronation June 28, 1838
Victoria passed away January 22, 1901 - Edward VII coronation August 9, 1902
Edward VII passed away May 6, 1910 - George V coronation June 22, 1911
George V passed away January 20, 1936 - George VI coronation May 12, 1937
George VI passed away February 6, 1952 - Elizabeth II coronation June 2, 1953

My guess would be we can probably expect a coronation next September as the weather should be fairly decent still during the late summer/early autumn.

I think the biggest reason we've seen year-long waits (or longer) between the accession and coronation is not necessarily to observe a full year of mourning, but to have better weather.

George III passed away January 29, 1820 - George IV coronation July 19, 1821
George IV passed away June 26, 1830 - William IV coronation Sept 8, 1831
William IV passed away June 20, 1837 - Victoria coronation June 28, 1838
Victoria passed away January 22, 1901 - Edward VII coronation August 9, 1902
Edward VII passed away May 6, 1910 - George V coronation June 22, 1911
George V passed away January 20, 1936 - George VI coronation May 12, 1937
George VI passed away February 6, 1952 - Elizabeth II coronation June 2, 1953

My guess would be we can probably expect a coronation next September as the weather should be fairly decent still during the late summer/early autumn.

Looks like in each case cited, the coronation occurred more than a year after the previous monarch died.

I think it depends too on whether the late monarchs death was sudden or expected and planned for.

But in the modern era I think it must be summery to bring millions of tourists in. So perhaps July/August 2023 even though it won’t be quite a year. I can’t imagine a Coronation in the Spring of 2024. Too long!

Last edited:
2nd June 2023 would be exactly 70 years after his mother’s.

I was also thinking they might pick early June in honour of the late Queen. While I am sure there is a lot to be organized. It's not that they have to start from scratch. They surely already have a general lay-out of how things will be done (both for Charles' coronation as well as William's installation as Prince of Wales).

So, maybe Coronation in June and installation in September next year? That is assuming that Charles will be coronated before he makes William the Prince of Wales - however, he might decide that there is no reason to wait until after his coronation with conferring this title upon his eldest son - in that case William can also take the swear allegiance on the day of the coronation as the new Prince of Wales.

Last edited:
I think its been said Charles had planned to never have such a long wait for his coronation as in the past - a "couple of months" max (obviously Charles never spoke about his accession plans so take it all with a pinch of salt). I'd go for late spring / summer - maybe tie it in with Trooping the Colour - but avoiding the same date as his mother's coronation? Realistically I think the family will be in mourning now till October then its nearly Christmas and they'll all have lots to decide upon. I know a coronation probably takes a lot to plan but I think they could do it by summer if needed.

I was also thinking they might pick early June in honour of the late Queen. While I am sure there is a lot to be organized. It's not that they have to start from scratch. They surely already have a general lay-out of how things will be done (both for Charles' coronation as well as William's installation as Prince of Wales).

So, maybe Coronation in June and installation in September next year? That is assuming that Charles will be coronated before he makes William the Prince of Wales - however, he might decide that there is no reason to wait until after his coronation with conferring this title upon his eldest son - in that case William can also take the swear allegiance on the day of the coronation as the new Prince of Wales.

Looking through the list of coronations on Wikipedia, it doesn't seem like the BRF will use the same date of a coronation of a previous monarch. Although a nice gesture, I personally doubt it will happen. Interestingly, only since George IV did they wait a full year after the death of the monarch to do the coronation. Previous to him, it was a few months!

As I posted in another thread, the conferral of the Prince of Wales seems to occur a few months after the ascension of the monarch. Other than Prince Charles, most Prince of Wales were conferred weeks after the ascension. I think William and Catherine will be Prince and Princess of Wales at the time of the coronation.

I’m guessing it will be next summer, and I hope it will be a big event full of tradition and all the pomp and pageantry they can manage.

I’m guessing it will be next summer, and I hope it will be a big event full of tradition and all the pomp and pageantry they can manage.

This is so true. The BRF's coronation is like no other. This makes me super excited thinking about seeing the royals and peerage on their ceremonial robes and coronets as well as the attendance of the foreign royals.

The new king is known to want it as early as possible. (I have this from someone at the Abbey.)

This is so true. The BRF's coronation is like no other. This makes me super excited thinking about seeing the royals and peerage on their ceremonial robes and coronets as well as the attendance of the foreign royals.

First of all, there are no coronation ceremonies in other European monarchies - the new monarch just swears an oath to be faithful to the Constitution of the country (AFAIK, the same did the current Kings of Jordan and Morocco).

Probaly in about a year, as otherwise it would be in Winter and i don't think they will wait until 2024,
I`m pretty sure it will take place in summer because of weather conditions. And that it will be organised quicker than the last one - so my guess is it will probably take place in the summer of 2023. I also guess Williams installation as the Prince of Wales (if there will be one...) will also be in the summer months of 2023 - similar to the year 1911: coronation in june, welsh investiture in july...

Two then Princes who attend Queen Elisabeth II's Coronation are still alive : Emperor Emeritus of Japan and King Albert II of the Belgians

I doubt that we're going to see a repeat performance of the "interesting" pageant staged when Charles was invested as Prince of Wales. There'll probably be a very simple ceremony, presumably in Cardiff.

First of all, there are no coronation ceremonies in other European monarchies - the new monarch just swears an oath to be faithful to the Constitution of the country (AFAIK, the same did the current Kings of Jordan and Morocco).

I know only the BRF practices coronation. The EU countries only have enthronement ceremonies.

"Like no other" as far as I know means "special", no comparison. I was referring to the pomp and pageantry of this affair.

I know only the BRF practices coronation. The EU countries only have enthronement ceremonies.

"Like no other" as far as I know means "special", no comparison. I was referring to the pomp and pageantry of this affair.
In Europe yes. But as far as I know, Thailand and Tonga have coronation ceremonies. Tonga feels like the British one, but small-sized. Not sure about Brunei and Swaziland (now Eswatini).

Last edited:
Two then Princes who attend Queen Elisabeth II's Coronation are still alive : Emperor Emeritus of Japan and King Albert II of the Belgians

Also, the Duke of Kent was already then the Duke of Kent, having succeeded his father in 1942.

I`m pretty sure it will take place in summer because of weather conditions. And that it will be organised quicker than the last one - so my guess is it will probably take place in the summer of 2023. I also guess Williams installation as the Prince of Wales (if there will be one...) will also be in the summer months of 2023 - similar to the year 1911: coronation in june, welsh investiture in July...

My hunch is that Charles' coronation will be next summer (maybe June), but William's installation will be in 2024 or later. That would extend the festivities to another year -- good for the economy -- and it would give each man a chance to shine separately.

But, who knows? So much will depend on the economy, the mood of the nation, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom