Charles III: Coronation Information and Musings - Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow's papers are reporting that Joe Biden plans to turn down an invitation to the Coronation, although Jill Biden may attend.

US Presidents never attend any coronations, investitures or inaugurations of foreign heads of state. A Vice President, First Lady, or Secretary of State or Ambassador is who we send.

For Queen Elsabeth II Coronation :King Baudouin or King Leopold of the Begians did not attend but Albert Prince of Liege
For Luxembourg Grand Duchess Charlotte and Prince Felix did not attend but Hed Grand Dukes Jean and Josephine Charlotte.

But the Royal Palace did not confirmed this information

A 2,000 or 3,000-guest event where everyone wears white tie wasn't realistic. People don't have or use those kinds of clothes these days. Something small like a state banquet is still possible, but I'm not sure there are a thousand tailcoats in London for men to hire.

Last edited:
A 2,000 or 3,000-guest event where everyone wears white tie wasn't realistic. People don't have or use those kinds of clothes these days. Something small like a state banquet is still possible, but I'm not sure there are a thousand tailcoats in London for men to hire.

I agree, it is unrealistic, in this day and age, to have an "inclusive" coronation, in white tie. In my mind, expect the general public to be in smart day wear or ethnic wear, where appropriate.

Members of the BRF and perhaps the foreign royal families may well be in tiaras.

Last edited:
Day dress can come in various sorts:

Formal day dress in white tie, ladies in long wit hats and Orders:
https://images.nrc.nl/nJrkIpy-QCs69...nrc.nl/inbeeld/files/2013/04/ANP-23180699.jpg

Formal day dress in jacquet or military uniform, ladies in long with hats. Civilians can wear Orders:
https://i.regiogroei.cloud/fn_check...x620/fe301060-96eb-3788-8b50-e746d4eda56f.jpg

Formal day dress in jacquet or military uniform, ladies in short with hats, no Orders are worn by civilians:
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/2D0F57J/g...tags-entertainment-society-royals-2D0F57J.jpg

Formal day dress in jacquet or military uniform, ladies in long with hats, no Orders are worn by civilians:
https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70360&d=1103772446

Last edited:
The last time ladies wore long day dresses with hats at a royal event in the UK was nearly as long ago as the last coronation. I would be very surprised if it was brought back.

Day dress can come in various sorts:

Formal day dress in white tie, ladies in long wit hats and Orders:
https://images.nrc.nl/nJrkIpy-QCs69...nrc.nl/inbeeld/files/2013/04/ANP-23180699.jpg

Formal day dress in jacquet or military uniform, ladies in long with hats. Civilians can wear Orders:
https://i.regiogroei.cloud/fn_check...x620/fe301060-96eb-3788-8b50-e746d4eda56f.jpg

Formal day dress in jacquet or military uniform, ladies in short with hats, no Orders are worn by civilians:
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/2D0F57J/g...tags-entertainment-society-royals-2D0F57J.jpg

Formal day dress in jacquet or military uniform, ladies in long with hats, no Orders are worn by civilians:
https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70360&d=1103772446

The last time ladies wore long day dresses with hats at a royal event in the UK was nearly as long ago as the last coronation. I would be very surprised if it was brought back.

Long dresses and hats are not worn in the UK in the current day and age. So expecting guests in anything other than smart wear in unrealistic.

The only guests who could (I hope!) in long dresses and tiaras are members of foreign royal families, and working members of the British royal families.

I agree, it is unrealistic, in this day and age, to have an "inclusive" coronation, in white tie. In my mind, expect the general public to be in smart day wear or ethnic wear, where appropriate.

Members of the BRF and perhaps the foreign royal families may well be in tiaras.
Long dresses and hats are not worn in the UK in the current day and age. So expecting guests in anything other than smart wear in unrealistic.

The only guests who could (I hope!) in long dresses and tiaras are members of foreign royal families, and working members of the British royal families.
The invitation I've seen that had the dress code "Day Dress (hats and gloves optional)" for ladies was for a foreign royal guest.
If the People article is right about Princess Catherine not yet having decided if she's wearing a tiara or not then I'd expect her and Queen Camilla to be the only ones that might wear tiaras since there is no way that Catherine would have the other ladies of the Royal family wait for her to decide before they could pick their own outfits until only a few weeks before the coronation.

Last edited:

Hopefully there will be a white-tie banquet with the foreign royal families so that we can see them and the BRF in gala dress. But, if that were planned, I believe it would have been announced already, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
If it can happen in Amsterdam (ladies in long), why not in London?

Felipe/Victoria/Mozah/Stéphanie/Guillaume

Because they are different countries with different standards.

Over the past 30 or so years the BRF have been cutting back on the glitzy events.

In the 90s it was expected that most of the BRF would attend the State Opening of Parliament in long gowns and tiaras but now only one/two women attend at all.

The BRF does FOUR glitzy events a year - two incoming state banquets (and from what I am hearing even fewer royal ladies will be attending as there will be no replacements for the older ladies as they retire), the State Opening of Parliament and the Diplomatic Reception, which only two royal ladies now attend.

Different countries = different attitudes to how to do things.

The BRF does FOUR glitzy events a year - two incoming state banquets (and from what I am hearing even fewer royal ladies will be attending as there will be no replacements for the older ladies as they retire), the State Opening of Parliament and the Diplomatic Reception, which only two royal ladies now attend.

Although I'm personally wondering if the State Opening of Parliament will actually return to that form. Four of the last five were day dress, and while there were different reasons for each of the deviations, I think there's a possibility they unintentionally became a transition to a new way of doing things.

Last edited:
The invitation I've seen that had the dress code "Day Dress (hats and gloves optional)" for ladies was for a foreign royal guest.
If the People article is right about Princess Catherine not yet having decided if she's wearing a tiara or not then I'd expect her and Queen Camilla to be the only ones that might wear tiaras since there is no way that Catherine would have the other ladies of the Royal family wait for her to decide before they could pick their own outfits until only a few weeks before the coronation.

> I think it is entirely possible that Camilla and Catherine are the only ones wearing tiara's.

> I do not believe the contention in the People article that Catherine has not yet decided whether she is wearing a tiara or not. By this stage, I would expect the designer to be well on their way to completing Catherine's clothes.

> I agree that other royal ladies would not be made to wait, the dress code would have been made clear to them at the outset.

Hopefully there will be a white-tie banquet with the foreign royal families so that we can see them and the BRF in gala dress. But, if that were planned, I believe it would have been announced already, wouldn't it?

There is meant to be a reception on the evening of 5 May for Commonwealth and world leaders. It is possble that the reception be white tie or black tie with tiaras.

I expect Camilla to travel bare-headed for the simple logistical reason that I don't think her hairstyle would be especially amenable to having a tiara removed mid-service.

I expect Camilla to travel bare-headed for the simple logistical reason that I don't think her hairstyle would be especially amenable to having a tiara removed mid-service.

She will travel bareheaded to the Abbey. All female consorts did so far. And then return with either the King George IV State Diadem or Queen Mary's crown, I guess.

Fair point, but QE2 did travel with the George IV diadem to the Abbey for her Coronation.

Although I'm personally wondering if the State Opening of Parliament will actually return to that form. Four of the last five were day dress, and while there were different reasons for each of the deviations, I think there's a possibility they unintentionally became a transition to a new way of doing things.

I think you may very well be right - and even only The King and Prince of Wales in attendance - no attendance by The Queen Consort and/or Prince of Wales.

There is meant to be a reception on the evening of 5 May for Commonwealth and world leaders. It is possble that the reception be white tie or black tie with tiaras.

If it is in the evening I suspect it will be minus royals as it has been reported that the King will be stopping all activities from about 6.00 and I would expect that most of the family will have dinner with him, quietly and privately.

I know there is a reception but wasn't aware it was in the evening.

The reception on the 5th has the dresscode "Lounge Suit/Day Dress".

It is hard to imagine that Enthronement Ceremonies in Tokyo, Amsterdam or Stockholm would have a more strict dresscode than a Coronation in Londen but we will see.

I am afraid that will be sadly the case. I am expecting the same dress code as in Queen Elizabeth II's funeral, with the possible exception of members of the British Royal Family only, who might wear gala dress.

Extremely disappointing news regarding the dress code. I grow less and less interested in this event.

Extremely disappointing news regarding the dress code. I grow less and less interested in this event.

I am also disappointed, but I can understand the rationale behind it if the rumors about the dress code prove to be true. The sight of several British and foreign royals covered in glittering grand jewels when most of the country is suffering from a cost of living crisis was probably considered politically unacceptable.

A reasonable compromise in my opinion would have been to have daytime dress and uniforms at the Abbey, which is the event that will be televised live in its entirety and followed by most, and hold a white-tie gala dinner for a restricted number of guests on the eve of the coronation with images only of the guests arriving and, perhaps, greeting the King (as was done at the gala dinner for Emperor Naruhito's enthronement).

That possibility is off too as it has been announced that the King will retire early on the eve of the coronation. So probably there will be only a cocktail reception with business suit attire.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom