Charles III: Accession to the Throne: 8 September, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Chief Herald of Canada, Samy Khalid, reads the Proclamation by the Governor General Mary May Simon announcing the accession of Charles III as King of Canada. The Proclamation is read in English and French and the announcement is followed by the execution of the royal and the national anthems.

Thank you for this. HE The GG made part of her comments on the day of The Queen's death in her aboriginal language.

I thought that the PM's comments yesterday (?) that HM was "one of my favourite people" very touching.

And "O Canada" is a lovely tune.:flowers:

Last edited:
I was touched by King Charles' address to the British people when he announced the death of the Queen. It made me cry.

Downing Street has announced that Liz Truss will accompany Charles & Camilla on their mini-tour of the UK next week.

I’m not sure that that gesture will go down well with some members of the public, many of whom may be Labour Party supporters. Politicising the tour somewhat, imo.

Last edited:
I don’t understand why the Prime Minister should accompany the King. It’s about his accession to the throne. However, having now read the full statement from Downing Street, it would seem that her appearance will be limited to attending the services of reflection in each of the countries that make up the UK. I hope this is the case .

Last edited:
I don’t understand why the Prime Minister should accompany the King. It’s about his accession to the throne.

Typical political move. The PM obviously wants to cash in on the accession to promote her very own poltical agenda in those troubled times for the UK.

Of course the Court can't say no ...

King Charles can say no, nicely, and should have declined. One would have thought his advisers would have pointed to all the disadvantages of this, even if it’s just attending church services with him.

I don’t understand why the Prime Minister should accompany the King. It’s about his accession to the throne. However, having now read the full statement from Downing Street, it would seem that her appearance will be limited to attending the services of reflection in each of the countries that make up the UK. I hope this is the case .

Well if's that the case then it doesn't sound too awful. The last thing anyone wants is politicians getting in the way.

King Charles can say no, nicely, and should have declined. One would have thought his advisers would have pointed to all the disadvantages of this, even if it’s just attending church services with him.

The sovereign has absolutely no power regarding a decision from Downing Street.

If the PM wants to go on Tour with the King and the Queen, the Court has no choice but to accept.

Last edited:
To be fair, this PM is having an incredibly awkward first week on the job (I'm sure Charles is sympathetic) and it's not the time to be making policy announcements, either.

I'm sure she thinks the best thing to do is hang out with the King, given no one is going to pay her any mind until after the 19th. At least she doesn't have any scandals she's blatantly shielding herself from.

Last edited:
I am sure it was agreed to by both. After all the PM is only days into her role. The BBCs political editor stated before that both the new King and the PM are dedicated to the Union of the UK, this underlines that at an important time in the UK's history. Bear in mind the PM will probably only be at whatever events the First Minister of Wales and First Minister of Scotland will be at anyway so if the PM wasn't there other politicians would be.

I was watching the live coverage on Sky news a little while ago and I don't understand why the British MPs were retaking the oath of allegiance (this time to King Charles) this afternoon. The oath they took after the 2019 general election was to "Queen Elizabeth, Her Heirs and Successors". Doesn't the latter automatically include King Charles?

In Canada, I believe I read on the CBC website that no oaths would have to be retaken by MPs, or Ministers of the Crown/Privy Counsellors.

In the Netherlands they also retake the oath upon the inauguration of a new monarch. It might be to confirm that they indeed accept this person as the heir and therefore new Sovereign?!

In the Netherlands they also retake the oath upon the inauguration of a new monarch. It might be to confirm that they indeed accept this person as the heir and therefore new Sovereign?!

In the beginning of this video, Senior MPs (House of Commons) either swear or affirm allegiance to Charles III and his heirs & successors on Saturday 10th September. The MPs (most likely backbenchers who were not able to do so yesterday 9th September) later continued to pay tribute and respect to HM The Queen.

Last edited:
I was watching the live coverage on Sky news a little while ago and I don't understand why the British MPs were retaking the oath of allegiance (this time to King Charles) this afternoon. The oath they took after the 2019 general election was to "Queen Elizabeth, Her Heirs and Successors". Doesn't the latter automatically include King Charles?

The Speaker said it was optional, so I think the old oath does include the King. I think it's a tradition carried over from when Parliament automatically dissolved, and the first meeting after the demise would be after a general election.

My bet is that the pin , and the monogram, are from King George VI ( GR VI). Could be a logical nod to Charles III's grandfather.

I finally saw a very clear picture of it in this article, and (despite the headline) this looks to be correct. There's a "VI" in the middle, not a "III."

Last edited:
I was very impressed by the way in which the new King met with crowds for a second time as his car left Buckingham Palace yesterday afternoon . He is already signalling a desire to reach out and engage with people. It must have been the last thing he wanted to do after a momentous day at a time when he is grieving his mother and had just taken on the burden of Kingship.. Yet his instinctive sense of this being the right thing to do - it appeared to be unplanned - is a measure of the qualities we are fortunate to already witness in our new King.

I was very impressed by the way in which the new King met with crowds for a second time as his car left Buckingham Palace yesterday afternoon . He is already signalling a desire to reach out and engage with people. It must have been the last thing he wanted to do after a momentous day at a time when he is grieving his mother and had just taken on the burden of Kingship.. Yet his instinctive sense of this being the right thing to do - it appeared to be unplanned - is a measure of the qualities we are fortunate to already witness in our new King.

It might have been unplanned but isn't that what we knew and loved Charles prince of Wales for? He is a muddler (eg when he called William to invite Harry to admire the floral tributes to the Queen), only since his marriage he listens to his "Darling wife" and he loves to be rewarded for his schemes for the benefit of the poorest by public adoration. He can't change who he is and he wants to enjoy the wealth he inherited and amassed with careful management of his Duchy but OTOH he seriously wants to advance people who through their different "birth" have not have his advantages but can find their own way to a better future through his and his charities help. He is overall a benevolent man (though highborn and quite spoilt in private), so he is the right man to embody the Britain who he is king of. I've always like the prince of Wales and will continue to do so for the king. Late accession but not too late, I hope!

The King's proclamation in Scotland. The Scottish version of the Royal Coat of Arms can be seen on the balcony.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the car HM The King has been using? Seems different from the car of choice HM Queen Elizabeth II used.

Does anyone know what the car HM The King has been using? Seems different from the car of choice HM Queen Elizabeth II used.

I've seen two different ones, both Rolls-Royce Phantoms of different vintages. I think both of the usual Bentleys are in Scotland. One is currently conveying Princess Anne behind her mother's hearse.

It might have been unplanned but isn't that what we knew and loved Charles prince of Wales for? He is a muddler (eg when he called William to invite Harry to admire the floral tributes to the Queen), only since his marriage he listens to his "Darling wife" and he loves to be rewarded for his schemes for the benefit of the poorest by public adoration. He can't change who he is and he wants to enjoy the wealth he inherited and amassed with careful management of his Duchy but OTOH he seriously wants to advance people who through their different "birth" have not have his advantages but can find their own way to a better future through his and his charities help. He is overall a benevolent man (though highborn and quite spoilt in private), so he is the right man to embody the Britain who he is king of. I've always like the prince of Wales and will continue to do so for the king. Late accession but not too late, I hope!

Most of The Duchy's profits go towards providing an income for Charles not for his own private use but for helping out, donating to charities, supporting his staff and his sons. As for your remark about William and Harry when did Charles call Will to invite Harry to look at floral tributes.?? And if Charles is such a muddler how come he has managed to increase profits of the Duchy to such an extent?

Last edited:
Aerial views show King Charles III making the journey from Clarence House to Buckingham Palace, where he will meet Commonwealth General Secretary Baroness Scotland.

I've seen two different ones, both Rolls-Royce Phantoms of different vintages. I think both of the usual Bentleys are in Scotland. One is currently conveying Princess Anne behind her mother's hearse.

I noticed that. Charles seems to prefere the former Rolls Royce of the Queen Mother and the one used by the Queen prior 2002. One of the two "new" Bentleys is used by the Wales ( ex Cambridges) for quite some time as well.

The old "Phantom IV" used by the Queen in the 50's seems to make a come back too.

Last edited:
I've always thought the two state bentleys rather ugly tbh. Much prefer the various older rolls royce models.

King Charles with Queen Camilla during a reception with Realm High Commissioners and their spouses in the Bow Room at Buckingham Palace on 11 September in London

Also King Charles received an audience with the Commonwealth Secretary General Baroness Patricia Scotland at Buckingham Palace

https://www.gettyimages.com/search/2/image?events=775869093

Back
Top Bottom