Charles III: Accession to the Throne: 8 September, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think its simply to distinguish Camilla from the late queen until people get used to the changes. Journalists yesterday siad they were having trouble remebering that its now God save the king or King Charles rather than Prince Charles.

Yes, I think that's the reason. "The Queen" was an expression so self-explanatory so far that it will take a while to grasp that "The Queen" now means Camilla.

That was a remarkable speech, and although all of it was moving, I completely lost it at the end with "may flights of Angels sing thee to thy rest”.

That was a beautiful and personal speech
She'll be greatly missed

That was a remarkable speech, and although all of it was moving, I completely lost it at the end with "may flights of Angels sing thee to thy rest”.

Me too! It was an emotional speech :sad:

Yes, that struck me too. He was really struggling at the end.

But amazing speech!

He reassured us he fully understands his constitutional role going forward. As he was always going to do.

And he made it clear that his faith is rooted in the Church of England.

A comforting speech. And yes deeply moving at the close.

He reassured us he fully understands his constitutional role going forward. As he was always going to do.

And he made it clear that his faith is rooted in the Church of England.

A comforting speech. And yes deeply moving at the close.

He made a very good speech. It was a hopeful sign that he intends to keep the Queen's door open to all family members. I was deeply touched that he repeated his mother's promise (lifelong service to her people) at a young age prior to her role as Queen. It is my belief that he will be a good British King for UK, the Commonwealth and to the world.

Last edited:
I think it was an outstanding address and was pitched perfectly. He's going to have a lot of support in the country as he endures the mourning period and funeral while executing his duties as King.

Why "the King and the Queen consort"?! As far as I know all the King´s wives are just referred to as Queen (Queen Charlotte, Queen Adelaide, Queen Alexandra, Queen Mary...) - although they are consorts, of course. In other countries also nobody would say something like "Queen Consort Sirikit of Thailand" or "Queen Consort Sophia of Spain". They have a consort role, but they are, as the wives of a King, Queens.

Because that is how Camilla is being officially styled by the Court.

https://www.royal.uk/

Note that they are using capitalized Consort , as opposed to lowercase "consort", which is significant.

Last edited:
He made a very good speech. It was a hopeful sign that he intends to keep the Queen's door open to all family members. I was deeply touched that he repeated his mother's promise (lifelong service to her people) at a young age prior to her role as Queen. It is my belief that he will be a good British King for UK, the Commonwealth and to the world.

This part of his speech is also at the royal.gov-website. I guess he wants to make clear that like his mother he intends to reign until his death.

Queen Elizabeth was a life well-lived; a promise with destiny kept and she is mourned most deeply in her passing. That promise of lifelong service I renew to you all today.

He stressed it one more time during the speech when he talked about the remaining time God grants him.

I too solemnly pledge myself throughout the remaining time God grants me to uphold the constitutional principles at the heart of our nation.

Last edited:
This part of his speech is also at the royal.gov-website. I guess he wants to make clear that like his mother he intends to reign until his death.

He stressed it one more time during the speech when he talked about the remaining time God grants him.

The most significant point in my opinion was not the promise that he would be King until his dying day, but rather his reassurance that he would reign strictly as a constitutional monarch. That was caught by many commentators today who mentioned that there was a genuine aprehension among the political class that Charles III could be a more politically active monarch, as he was as Prince of Wales. It is quite evident that the King's speech today was meant to calm such fears.

The most significant point in my opinion was not the promise that he would be King until his dying day, but rather his reassurance that he would reign strictly as a constitutional monarch. That was caught by many commentators today who mentioned that there was a genuine aprehension among the political class that Charles III could be a more politically active monarch, as he was as Prince of Wales. It is quite evident that the King's speech today was meant to calm such fears.

That was something he already clearly expressed in the documentary for his 70th birthday, so that made a lot of sense to me (and therefore didn't stand out as much) as he was confirming what he explained before.

His tearful eyes at the end of his address spoke volumes. Great speech. Also, quite diplomatic mentioning both sons and daughters-in-law.

I've always liked Charles. I have long believed that he is misunderstood. He isn't perfect but who is?

I am hoping for a successful reign for him.

"

I've always liked Charles. I have long believed that he is misunderstood. He isn't perfect but who is?

I am hoping for a successful reign for him.

Charles is not a question mark. He has had a public life for decades as heir to the throne and both his qualities and his shortcomings are well-known. That can be both an advantage and a disadvantage in his reign. No one can accuse him of "lacking experience" for example. In fact, there are probably few people other than his own late mother who have met more world leaders than Charles during his tenure as Prince of Wales.

On the other hand, although Charles may still be King for 20+ years, compared to his mother's, his reign will inevitably be a much shorter one, and , while he seems himself as a "modernizer", I think he will be reluctant to make radical changes in the short term.

I think what is nice even if it doesn't happen is Charles has more of a possibility to have a silver jubilee. Of course nothing is guaranteed but really hopes he is able to have one

Charles is not a question mark. He has had a public life for decades as heir to the throne and both his qualities and his shortcomings are well-known. That can be both an advantage and a disadvantage in his reign. No one can accuse him of "lacking experience" for example. In fact, there are probably few people other than his own late mother who have met more world leaders than Charles during his tenure as Prince of Wales.

On the other hand, although Charles may still be King for 20+ years, compared to his mother's, his reign will inevitably be a much shorter one, and , while he seems himself as a "modernizer", I think he will be reluctant to make radical changes in the short term.

I don’t know, Charles whole idea of modernising is to cut down the size of the family and open the houses to the public more…which will inevitably bring them more money. Personally though he inherited his grandmothers spendthrift ways and has a rather overstuffed entourage. Also poor skills as a judge of character. But he is vastly experienced and really no matter how long he is King his biggest contribution is as his time as Prince of Wales, the trust and his work on the environment. I presume the Princes Trust will now soon pass to the Earl of Snowdon as president. And I do think he is a pretty affable, harmless person and there is so much in his extensive work to admire and respect. He has one working heir and his wife. A retired brother and also a working sister, brother, SIL, cousins…most who are ageing and really the Queens cousins should all be able to enjoy retirement. William has really modernised how they interact with causes and that is needed because the old ways of hundreds of patronages isn’t possible when there will be a very small number of people doing it.

Last edited:
I've only read soundbites off the news this morning, but it sounds like a heartfelt and beautiful speech he made.

Not surprised at all he conferred the title of Prince and Princess of Wales onto William and Catherine immediately. He has done A LOT as Prince of Wales himself and wants that continuity and shows trust in his son and daughter-in-law.

I am so happy to see he publicly and explicitly stated his love for Harry and Meghan, to shut the media up! I have always felt he couldn't do such a public declaration whilst his late mother was alive, but now he can. It's not that I think the late Queen didn't like Meghan and Harry, but rather she was from an era where you don't do such things. Charles has always come across a lot more emotional and this shows it. I think this public declaration alkso shows he will not issue letters patent removing titles from Archie and Lilibet. It is a massive olive branch and I applaud him doing this.

His speech shows that he is also aware he is an old King, stating he will pledge his duty for what time remaining given by God. That for me shows the understanding of his age.

I am looking forward to seeing Charles as King and Prince William as PoW. I think we will see a far more modern Royal house which may be more in line with other Royal houses in Europe.

God Save King Charles!

I've only read soundbites off the news this morning, but it sounds like a heartfelt and beautiful speech he made.

Not surprised at all he conferred the title of Prince and Princess of Wales onto William and Catherine immediately. He has done A LOT as Prince of Wales himself and wants that continuity and shows trust in his son and daughter-in-law.

I am so happy to see he publicly and explicitly stated his love for Harry and Meghan, to shut the media up! I have always felt he couldn't do such a public declaration whilst his late mother was alive, but now he can. It's not that I think the late Queen didn't like Meghan and Harry, but rather she was from an era where you don't do such things. Charles has always come across a lot more emotional and this shows it. I think this public declaration alkso shows he will not issue letters patent removing titles from Archie and Lilibet. It is a massive olive branch and I applaud him doing this.

His speech shows that he is also aware he is an old King, stating he will pledge his duty for what time remaining given by God. That for me shows the understanding of his age.

I am looking forward to seeing Charles as King and Prince William as PoW. I think we will see a far more modern Royal house which may be more in line with other Royal houses in Europe.

God Save King Charles!

Mmmm it’s no different from the sentiments that are standard in what royal say. It was a bit like here is my son, my heir, it’s amazing….I love Harry and his wife too and they live abroad. Awkward one for him though. And I mean that was the nicest way to do it. I doubt issues about Archie and Lilibet are near his mind though or maybe they are and he chatted with Harry last night and told him how things would be.

His tearful eyes at the end of his address spoke volumes. Great speech. Also, quite diplomatic mentioning both sons and daughters-in-law.

Yes, I thought that was clever. Expressing that he loves Harry and Meghan (few fathers wouldn't) but also making clear that they have chosen a different path and there should not be any expectation of their return in the royal fold: 'building their lives overseas'.

And I liked how he kind of gave an insight into how William and Catherine intend to use their position as Prince and Princess of Wales: bring the marginalized to the center so they can receive the appropriate help (or something along those lines).

Last edited:
Yes, I thought that was clever. Expressing that he loves Harry and Meghan (few fathers wouldn't) but also making clear that they have chosen a different path and there should not be any expectation of their return in the royal fold: 'building their lives overseas'.

And I liked how he kind of gave an insight into how William and Catherine intend to use their position as Prince and Princess of Wales: bring the marginalized to the center so they can receive the appropriate help (or something along those lines).
Yes, I agree with you, that the mention of Harry and Meghan in that speech seemed more like "the doors are closed for good now" than "you're welcome to come back into the fold", which was interesting. Probably done just to not give media another thing to speculate about.

The whole speech was pure genius. Whoever wrote it, amazing job. I loved announcing the Prince of Wales title immediately and mentioning it at such an important moment. The cause seems quite close to The Prince's Trust, which might mean it will go to William and Catherine. Who, imho, would be a great fit for the organization.

Yes, I agree with you, that the mention of Harry and Meghan in that speech seemed more like "the doors are closed for good now" than "you're welcome to come back into the fold", which was interesting. Probably done just to not give media another thing to speculate about.

The whole speech was pure genius. Whoever wrote it, amazing job. I loved announcing the Prince of Wales title immediately and mentioning it at such an important moment. The cause seems quite close to The Prince's Trust, which might mean it will go to William and Catherine. Who, imho, would be a great fit for the organization.

Long had a succession plan. Earl of Snowdon will be president.

Agreed.

He handled a difficult, awkward subject very well.

And gave a bit of insight into what’s next for the new POWs.

A wonderful and heart-warming address. Our heart and prayers go out to King Charles III and the royal family. Queen Elizabeth will be sorely missed. God save the King.

Long had a succession plan. Earl of Snowdon will be president.

Source? Can't say that this is a rumor that has ever surfaced here or in the media in the years of discussions I've read on the topic of the future of The Prince's Trust once Charles ascended to the throne.

Source? Can't say that this is a rumor that has ever surfaced here or in the media in the years of discussions I've read on the topic of the future of The Prince's Trust once Charles ascended to the throne.

Oops he is the Foundation. The trust has long been in the hands of trustees. Over the last few years a lot of his work was merged and put into trusts etc. I think he would have liked to give one of his charities to his sons but they had their own interests.

Oops he is the Foundation. The trust has long been in the hands of trustees. Over the last few years a lot of his work was merged and put into trusts etc. I think he would have liked to give one of his charities to his sons but they had their own interests.

That is quite true and evident from the path that William & Harry forged as adults, unfortunately. I'm sure he would have loved to have turned it over to Harry & Meghan in the end, had they not packed up and headed to the US.

That is quite true and evident from the path that William & Harry forged as adults, unfortunately. I'm sure he would have loved to have turned it over to Harry & Meghan in the end, had they not packed up and headed to the US.

I don’t know. For from before Harry was married there were being made to put it in hands of trustees. I think once he realised they had their own interests he just saw he needed to get the succession plan sorted.

Back
Top Bottom