Charles III: Accession to the Throne: 8 September, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this is the first time we've had a descendant of the Romanovs on the British throne. Not that it really matters, but it just occurred to me.

Louis of Battenberg was a first cousin of Alexander III through their Hessian parents, and Philip's great-aunts were the last two Tsarinas of Russia, but I can't see how that makes Charles a Romanov descendant.

Although it's early here.

:previous:

I am certain that after a good cup of coffee you will have figured this out yourself, but it is via prince Philip's paternal grandmother Queen Olga of the Hellenes, née Grand Duchess Olga Constantinova of Russia.

Last edited:
I realized minutes ago that since yesterday we have agnatic descendants of Christian IX and Louise of Denmark on three European thrones again. The Oldenburgs must be smirking in heaven.

From a German point of view, a change of dynasty took place in the UK yesterday. Elizabeth II was the last monarch of the Wettin Dynasty as a agnatic descended from the tribal elder Count Dedo. Charles III is the first one from the Oldenburg Dynasty.

Louis of Battenberg was a first cousin of Alexander III through their Hessian parents, and Philip's great-aunts were the last two Tsarinas of Russia, but I can't see how that makes Charles a Romanov descendant.

Although it's early here.
Prince Philip's grandmother Queen Olga of Greece was a Romanov, the daughter of Grand Duke Konstantin and granddaughter of Emperor Nicholas I.

ETA: Oops, just realized Marengo already responded. It's early for me too!

Prime Minister promises "loyal service" to new King in House of Commons tribute.

I had long assumed that he would take the name George VII, continuing family tradition. His dynasty has never had a Charles, and the previous two bearers of the name, the Stuart father and son, are not particularly fortunate ones.

In addition to Charles II not really being in any way unfortunate, and being a popular king, I didn't expect him to select George VII, though I know that was suggested decades ago.

I have a few reasons why I thought that -
1. The last King George died 70 years ago - it wasn't like with Prince Albert, Duke of York choosing to reign with the name of his beloved father to maintain that link after the disaster that was Edward VIII.

2.Charles has been known as Charles for over 70 years. Changing now would have felt odd and awkward.

3.Charles now has a grandson named George. While that wouldn't exclude him using the name, not doing so allows George to have his own name and not be constantly confused with or compared to his grandfather.

As someone else (I don't recall where) said, if Charles had acceded decades ago, he might have chosen George. A link to his grandfather would have made more sense then. Now, it really doesn't. Keeping the name the Queen gave him seems appropriate.

I don't know if that is the appropriate forum to ask this question, but should we expect King Charles III to make "introductory visits" to other monarchs as King Willem-Alexander and King Felipe VI did when they ascended their respective thrones? I don't think there is this tradition in the UK, but a new King means new rules, so maybe?

Not sure where to put this but are Archie and Lilliebet now Prince/Princess

Not sure where to put this but are Archie and Lilliebet now Prince/Princess

There is s forum on Questions on British titles and styles where you can ask that question.

If I am not mistaken, 3 agnatic descendants (Charles III, Harald V, and Margrethe II) and 2 descendants in maternal line (Philippe and Henri).

After informally calling them "Charles and Camilla" for so many years, it will be hard to get used to saying "the King and the Queen Consort", but I am not capitalizing "The", as I didn't for Queen Elizabeth II either. I probably would if I were British or a Commonwealth realm citizen, but I am not.

EDIT: I know that, technically, they should have been called "The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall" before the King's accession, but I guess "Charles and Camilla" was still pretty common on social media, especially in the US.
Why "the King and the Queen consort"?! As far as I know all the King´s wives are just referred to as Queen (Queen Charlotte, Queen Adelaide, Queen Alexandra, Queen Mary...) - although they are consorts, of course. In other countries also nobody would say something like "Queen Consort Sirikit of Thailand" or "Queen Consort Sophia of Spain". They have a consort role, but they are, as the wives of a King, Queens.

I think its simply to distinguish Camilla from the late queen until people get used to the changes. Journalists yesterday siad they were having trouble remebering that its now God save the king or King Charles rather than Prince Charles.

Why "the King and the Queen consort"?! As far as I know all the King´s wives are just referred to as Queen (Queen Charlotte, Queen Adelaide, Queen Alexandra, Queen Mary...) - although they are consorts, of course. In other countries also nobody would say something like "Queen Consort Sirikit of Thailand" or "Queen Consort Sophia of Spain". They have a consort role, but they are, as the wives of a King, Queens.

All the previous queens have been Queen Alexandra, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth, etc, so the new queen will be Queen Camilla, and, in time, people will just talk about "the King and Queen". But I think it's just too soon for anyone to use the title "the Queen" for anyone but the late Queen. People sometimes referred to Victoria as "the old Queen", and in time we'll probably do that for Elizabeth II too, but it's just too soon.

One of the Sky News reporters referred to "Prince Charles" this afternoon, then corrected herself. It's all going to take some getting used to.

HM's reception outside BP shows he already has the love & goodwill of his people.

Spontaneous, genuine & warm.

Live King Charles Addresses the World For First Time

I sobbed listening to Charles talking about the support of Camilla, William, and Catherine, and creating William The Prince of Wales.

It was a great speech. Seeing the photo of the Queen got me teary-eyed.

Unbelievably great speech. I can't help but feel sorry for HM King in this difficult situation, but he's handling it with grace and just the right amount of emotion.

I didn't expect William and Catherine to become Prince and Princess of Wales so soon, but I suppose there's nothing to wait for. Very good speech under difficult circumstances.

This speech was exceptional. Period.

It was. HM nailed it. I missed the very beginning, but I’ll go back and watch it all later.
He hit all the right notes. It was personal, emotional, nicely tied in both his and his mother’s sense of duty, talked about faith, his new role in general, and the end…..well no words. Perfect.

I was sure he’d pass Prince of Wales to William, but didn’t think it would be today. But- it makes sense. Do it all at once.

Very very well done by him.

ETA- I was walking in the break room when it was on. It was televised live in the US.

Last edited:
I didn't expect William and Catherine to become Prince and Princess of Wales so soon, but I suppose there's nothing to wait for. Very good speech under difficult circumstances.

So they are now Prince and Princess of Wales? I thought we had to wait for the investiture

Does anyone have a link to the speech? I keep getting the St. Pauls service.

So they are now Prince and Princess of Wales? I thought we had to wait for the investiture

The investiture is a ceremonial thing - a formal acknowledgement of the granting of the title - but it's not legally required for the change to take effect.

William and Catherine's Instagram page has been updated to reflected their new titles as Prince and Princess of Wales.
I think it's a record- they were the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge just about a day.

King Charles' speech was nothing short of amazing! He covered all the bases. I teared up when he mentioned his mama reuniting with his papa.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a link to the speech? I keep getting the St. Pauls service.
It's live, but you can go back in time. Charles' speech is now at something like -35 minutes.

I found it on youtube.

I loved King Charles III's speech. I didn't expect William and Catherine to become Princes of Wales so soon. This is very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom