Charles III: Accession to the Throne: 8 September, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Her Majesty Queen Camilla as far as I know has the role of Queen Consort like The Queen Mother, Queen Mary and Queen Alexandra and like our foreign Queen Consorts now. Our past Queen Consorts were styled HM The Queen when their husbands were King and then HM Queen whatever their first name was. They carried out exactly the same role as Queen Camilla now so why is she still called The Queen Consort? To me it is demeaning her and insulting her as if she has a lesser title which we know she has not

Do you agree ?

Her Majesty Queen Camilla as far as I know has the role of Queen Consort like The Queen Mother, Queen Mary and Queen Alexandra and like our foreign Queen Consorts now. Our past Queen Consorts were styled HM The Queen when their husbands were King and then HM Queen whatever their first name was. They carried out exactly the same role as Queen Camilla now so why is she still called The Queen Consort? To me it is demeaning her and insulting her as if she has a lesser title which we know she has not

Do you agree ?

I think it’s a compromise and eventually the consort part will be quietly dropped.

Do you agree ?
Someone searched through the newspapers during the ascention of Edward&Alexandra, George V&Mary and George VI&Elisabeth. All were named Queen first name/Queen Consort/the Queen all at one and at the same time. All of them ending with being called Queen first name. So the seemingly emphasis on Consort is not special at all.

Do you agree ?

Actually they were all styled "HM The Queen" while their husbands were alive. The first names only came when they were widowed.

Since the former Queen Elizabeth herself told us that Camilla would be called "The Queen Consort" (exactly that), no, I don't find it insulting.

Prince Albert had to wait 17 years after his marriage to Queen Victoria to get the title of "The Prince Consort". Why would something that's considered an honor for a man be an insult and demeaning for a woman?

Do you agree ?

Because that it the title that the King uses for her.

On the day the late Queen died the official announcement, which would have been approved by Charles was that The King and Queen CONSORT would be staying at Balmoral overnight and return to London the next day.

In his first address to the nation Charles referred to as his Queen CONSORT not his Queen.

In the Royal Warrant he issued to the Church of England on the wording of the new prayers for the Royal family her referred to her as The Queen CONSORT - basically stating by the most senior means he has to making a law he used the term The Queen CONSORT.

On the programme for the events around the late Queen's death, including her funeral, all approved by Charles, she was the Queen Consort.

The Court Circular - again approved daily by The King says 'The Queen Consort'.

She is being called The Queen Consort because that it the title The King is using for his wife.

The Royal Warrant is the most telling as that document has the status of a law in the CoE and can only be changed by issuing another such document.

https://lawandreligionuk.com/2022/09/21/book-of-common-prayer-and-common-worship-post-accession/

Every prayer for the Royal Family contained in any form of service authorized for use in the Church of England, instead of the words ‘Philip Duke of Edinburgh, Charles Prince of Wales’ the words ‘Camilla the Queen Consort, William Prince of Wales, the Princess of Wales’ should be inserted. The Prayer for the Royal Family now reads:

Almighty God, the fountain of all goodness, we humbly beseech thee to bless Camilla the Queen Consort, William Prince of Wales, the Princess of Wales and all the Royal Family : Endue them with thy Holy Spirit ; enrich them with thy heavenly grace ; prosper them with all happiness ; and bring them to thine everlasting kingdom ; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The Proclamation of the accession of Charles III as King of Canada has been published in the Canada Gazette. It is signed by the Governor General of Canada, Mary May Simon, and countersigned, among others, by the Prime Minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau. It is an interesting read.

EDIT: I also located an online copy of the Proclamation of Charles III as King of Australia , signed by Governor-General General David Hurley and Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.

Last edited:

Do you agree ?

I think it’s been a gradual process from when Charles first married her and it was announced she would be Princess Consort on his accession to the throne. Then the late Queen let it be known it was her wish Camilla would become Queen Consort. There’s been, and continues to be, tremendous sensitivity about the public perception of Camilla. It’s to Camila’s credit that she continues to has handle this with dignity and acceptance of her has steadily grown. As such it’s not an insult, she will be Queen, and the Consort appendage title will be used less and less frequently ( although it remains technically correct).
On a lighter note The Princess of Wales is still referred to as Kate Middleton in certain sections of the Media - now that really is a put down!

On a lighter note The Princess of Wales is still referred to as Kate Middleton in certain sections of the Media - now that really is a put down!

Not only her. The Daily Mail, for example, still refers to "Charles and Camilla" every now and then. I guess that happens in part because we're so used to refer to them by their own names (an unthinkable thing for the late Queen), but also because we've grown accustomed to think as the monarch as a REALLY old person, which by today's standards, Charles is not yet.

Not only her. The Daily Mail, for example, still refers to "Charles and Camilla" every now and then. I guess that happens in part because we're so used to refer to them by their own names (an unthinkable thing for the late Queen), but also because we've grown accustomed to think as the monarch as a REALLY old person, which by today's standards, Charles is not yet.

Nah,that is nonsense.It is just because what Brits call newspapers,but every other nation calls rags,trash and lack of respect!!.

Nah,that is nonsense.It is just because what Brits call newspapers,but every other nation calls rags,trash and lack of respect!!.

Absolutely correct. They certainly are a huge disgrace.

Absolutely correct. They certainly are a huge disgrace.

It's hardly the case that Britain is the only country where newspapers (and members of the public) refer to royals by their names. Even in Japan, where mainstream media use formal language in discussing royalty, members of the imperial family are often referred to by their given names (with an honorific).

It's hardly the case that Britain is the only country where newspapers (and members of the public) refer to royals by their names. Even in Japan, where mainstream media use formal language in discussing royalty, members of the imperial family are often referred to by their given names (with an honorific).

But that's not an exact comparison. In Japan, the royals are some of the few people in society the formal media exalts as "-sama", an appellation Mako, for example, immediately lost when she married out. Also, they have no family name. The only other way to do it would be to use the princely titles (w/sama), and I think that's too formal and arcane even for Japan.

There are no honorifics in Britain (at least, not in the same sense). The tabloids calling the royals by first or former names (the established media consistently use titles) is about as informal as you can get. But it's not necessarily disgraceful. The British model of free speech has been a precedent for the world for centuries.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom