Charles III: Accession to the Throne: 8 September, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Getting ink over your hand is rather unpleasant - especially if you have a representative role and other activities to move onto. Camilla did receive a different pen, so had no issues at all herself.

And, while it of course was not professional. He is under much stress right now, so a moment like this can happen. And I'm sure such minor irritations will happen more often (even under less stressful circumstances).

It's not that he let it ruin the rest of his day.

When the King was leaving Westminster Hall today, he looked irritated with something when he was talking to the Archbishop of Canterbury. Any idea what that might have been about?

Every time I've heard PRINCE OF WALES in the last few days I immediately, instinctively think they are discussing Charles...then I remember.

It's going to take some time.

Yep. I still instinctively think of Charles too. He was always POW. It is easier for me to think of Catherine as POW though, perhaps because Diana has been dead so long now.

When the King was leaving Westminster Hall today, he looked irritated with something when he was talking to the Archbishop of Canterbury. Any idea what that might have been about?

He seemed fine. It was all very beautiful. I can’t think what he would be irritated with. But he is probably just in a perpetual irritable state at the moment. I mean poor Camilla. Sophie looks past it too today. It’s been a very long week for someone of them, non mores or than Charles.

He seemed fine. It was all very beautiful. I can’t think what he would be irritated with. But he is probably just in a perpetual irritable state at the moment. I mean poor Camilla. Sophie looks past it too today. It’s been a very long week for someone of them, non mores or than Charles.

Definitely. I hope they can take a bit of time off for themselves the next few days until they have to appear again. I know Charles has the visit to Wales on Friday, but, hopefully, a day out of the public eye tomorrow will give him some respite. Same goes for Saturday - just clear his schedule until he has to be back at Buckingham Palace on Sunday for the diplomatic reception.

TBH once the funeral is done I hope the RF as a whole take some time off. Charles too. Yes there will be a lot to plan, organise etc so I am sure he will be busy with meetings but I think the public duties can wait. Parliament will be in recess for the party conferences so other than a weekly telephone call with the PM he could take time off - head away even for a little bit then do things in private. Same for the Wales', Anne and Ed and Sophie. Personally I'd be quite happy if next time we saw them was Remembrance Day.

TBH once the funeral is done I hope the RF as a whole take some time off. Charles too. Yes there will be a lot to plan, organise etc so I am sure he will be busy with meetings but I think the public duties can wait. Parliament will be in recess for the party conferences so other than a weekly telephone call with the PM he could take time off - head away even for a little bit then do things in private. Same for the Wales', Anne and Ed and Sophie. Personally I'd be quite happy if next time we saw them was Remembrance Day.

Don’t think that will happen but wouldn’t surprise me of he took some time in Wales or a Birkhall or wherever after all this. I don’t think the family will undertake any engagements for a week after the funeral anyway.

Definitely. I hope they can take a bit of time off for themselves the next few days until they have to appear again. I know Charles has the visit to Wales on Friday, but, hopefully, a day out of the public eye tomorrow will give him some respite. Same goes for Saturday - just clear his schedule until he has to be back at Buckingham Palace on Sunday for the diplomatic reception.

The Daily Mail has photos of the King and Queen returning to Highgrove and Raymill respectively after the service - the King is still in his RAF uniform.

I imagine the Queen wants to see her children and grandchildren and the King just wants some private time.

The Daily Mail has photos of the King and Queen returning to Highgrove and Raymill respectively after the service - the King is still in his RAF uniform.

I imagine the Queen wants to see her children and grandchildren and the King just wants some private time.

I'm glad to hear that are getting some personal time. I can guess the King needs some zen garden time and the Queen with her kids and grandkids. This might be the first time her kids and grandkids see her as the Queen Consort.

When Charles has his trooping the colour do we expect to see him and his family like the Queen did before covid with alot of her family

When Charles has his trooping the colour do we expect to see him and his family like the Queen did before covid with alot of her family

I think we can probably expect working royals and their spouses only, plus their school/university age children. So basically, the Wales', Anne & Tim, the Wessexes and the Gloucesters (presuming that both the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra retire).

I believe that he has declared an extra 7 days of mourning for the royal household. If I have heard correctly then after the funeral they will get an extra week to grieve more privately although he will still have his red boxes and an audience with the PM and possibly one with the Duke of Norfolk - to review the funeral arrangements and start the planning process for his own funeral. Yes they start planning that early ... I remember reading that the first meeting planning for Charles' coronation was held between The Queen and the then Duke of Norfolk about a week after her own coronation.

This will really be the 'smaller royal family' that he allegedly wants time to be seen.

I expect Camilla, William, Catherine, Sophie, Edward, Anne, Tim, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester (maybe) and The Duke of Kent (definitely as he will still be the Colonel of the Scots Guards).

With two regiments now without a royal colonel - The Grenadiers and the Welsh - it will be interesting who he appoints to those roles. Had Harry not left he would probably have taken over the Welsh Guards from his father and we all know why Andrew lost the Grenadiers.

I do wonder who he will appoint - probably Camilla and Catherine will get one each.

This will really be the 'smaller royal family' that he allegedly wants time to be seen.

I expect Camilla, William, Catherine, Sophie, Edward, Anne, Tim, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester (maybe) and The Duke of Kent (definitely as he will still be the Colonel of the Scots Guards).

With two regiments now without a royal colonel - The Grenadiers and the Welsh - it will be interesting who he appoints to those roles. Had Harry not left he would probably have taken over the Welsh Guards from his father and we all know why Andrew lost the Grenadiers.

I do wonder who he will appoint - probably Camilla and Catherine will get one each.

Would make sense for Catherine to take the Welsh

Could Sir Timothy Laurence be appointed? Officially he is not royal but his is a member of the royal family as the husband of the Princess Royal - and he has had a navy career (just like the Duke of Edinburgh - so that shouldn't be a disqualification for an Army regiment).

Glad to read this. They must be in desperate need for downtime.

I have not adjusted to Camilla as “The Queen.” My first thought was: what? That’s not possible….Then, it clicked in….

Could Sir Timothy Laurence be appointed? Officially he is not royal but his is a member of the royal family as the husband of the Princess Royal - and he has had a navy career (just like the Duke of Edinburgh - so that shouldn't be a disqualification for an Army regiment).

He could be but I am not sure he would want that.

I do think that the Queen Consort and next Queen Consort should get one of the regiments ahead of the husband of The Princess Royal.

I would love for Sir Tim to get some recognition, especially after the way he has supported Anne during this past week. He has been with her in the car from Balmoral, in the plane from Scotland and again in the car to BP. He is simply a wonderful support for her.

I can see him being appointed as an ADC to Charles.

Glad to read this. They must be in desperate need for downtime.

I have not adjusted to Camilla as “The Queen.” My first thought was: what? That’s not possible….Then, it clicked in….

She is being officially called "The Queen Consort", but some members of the forum insist on using the unofficial style "The Queen" .

She is being officially called "The Queen Consort", but some members of the forum insist on using the unofficial style "The Queen".

That's because that's who she is. The Queen. The woman married to The King. So that is how I will refer to her.

Personally, I think she is the Queen, but not The Queen, if that makes sense.

"Don’t think that will happen but wouldn’t surprise me of he took some time in Wales or a Birkhall or wherever after all this. I don’t think the family will undertake any engagements for a week after the funeral anyway."

I was under the impression the Royals were having a month of mourning which means no formal appearances or events, does it not?

I believe it is a week extra to the national mourning not a month.

Is it really that serious for him to respond to that?! I mean come on who hasn't dealt with a leaky pen before?. I bet Camilla found the minor incident abit funny, not hahaha funny but you know what I mean.
Yes it is serious. Charles has always held himself to a high standard and nearly everything he is signing is on parchment and will end up with a seal or, in books with heavy and expensive "paper", all of which are historic, legal, constitutional or parts of all three They will all be part of history so when my ink pen squirted I was narked but able to take out another piece of paper and start again.
This is why I think he could have used a couple more private days. There's too much stress (for anyone, really), and where his mother had astounding public self-control and the anomaly of being relatively unflappable, Charles has fully resumed the ancient family temper.

Easy to judge from behind our screens. I dont envy his position, really.
Yes I am sure he is both mentally and physically exhausted which is why I smiled and nodded to myself when Charles headed off to Highgrove and Camilla to Raymill. Charles has always decompressed in solitude and Camilla probably bakes at Raymill.

The other point is that it cannot be easy for her son and daughter who are now the "King's" stepchildren, a major change and I am sure there hare media trying to get a statement, something, anything from them. They are very exposed and if the country can't quite come to grips with Queen's death, how much more pressure will there be on them.

I had a smile at the seemingly confused pundits, royal reporters, domestic and international anchors are getting themselves confused about Camilla's title. It's clear as day that in royal and aristocratic when they marry, just like the rest of us plebs, they take their husbands title. So it is King Charles III and his wife Queen Camilla.

Last edited:
I had a smile at the seemingly confused pundits, royal reporters, domestic and international anchors are getting themselves confused about Camilla's title. It's clear as day that in royal and aristocratic when they marry, just like the rest of us plebs, they take their husbands title. So it is King Charles III and his wife Queen Camilla.

Thanks for saying this MARG … I’m dreading what some of our Australian media personalities may come up with in the heat of the moment.

I haven’t watched a lot of locally produced coverage after discovering some of the livestreams on YouTube.

The clear video footage and sound … played through the tv … without a lot of people not actually involved giving the same old platitudes and basically just being space-fillers.

ITV’s coverage of the Belfast visit was terrific, not overbearing and not just gabbing for the sake of it.

Same with last night and the Edinburgh processions, shown by other media.

Just watched the streams without any commentary, as close as possible to actually being there.

The actual sounds … that dog barking in Edinburgh for example while everything else was quiet except for the horses hooves … more poignant that having some voice droning away.

We saw irritation with the King, when he had to sign a Golden Book with a leaking pen. It struck me how calm, self-controlled and poised Queen Camilla remained. As if her unperturbability calmed the King (or was a reminder to him to follow her example).

Last edited:

Apparently the confusion exists only among TRF members. The Palace, the King, and the late Queen made it very clear what they intend(ed) Camilla's title to be at least for the time being.

https://www.royal.uk/his-majesty-king

I wonder why some commentators believe that their idea of what the King's wife should be called overrides the King's own will and pleasure.

We saw irritation with the King, when he had to sign a Golden Book with a leaking pen. It struck me how calm, self-controlled and poised Queen Camilla remained. As if her unperturbability calmed the King (or was a reminder to him to follow her example).

I think she's like the late Queen Mother in that respect. She's the soother and The King needs her around to help calm his temper. No wonder she went off to Ray Mill as soon as they got back to Gloucestershire. She probably needed a G&T and a lie down in peace!

Yes, I saw it, it is not dignified, especially in front of tv worldwide audience, while queen consort was calm. I have never really liked the king as of his background of his life with the late Diana, the princess of Wales and of course the queen consort at that time. I rest my case; it is history now.

Looking very far into the future and hopefully in 2047 Charles will still be on the throne and celebrating his Silver Jubilee when do we expect it to be with September 8th Anniversury of his mothers death and October-December the weather might not be great

Looking very far into the future and hopefully in 2047 Charles will still be on the throne and celebrating his Silver Jubilee when do we expect it to be with September 8th Anniversury of his mothers death and October-December the weather might not be great

They'll most likely do the same as queen Elizabeth with her jubilees. Celebrate it on the date of her coronation and not her ascension to the throne.

Back
Top Bottom