Charles as King: Choice of Regnal Name

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt he'll change it after he's been known as Prince Charles for so long. I don't really see the point in being Charles for 64 years and then using Philip, Arthur or George. I'm pretty sure he'll be Charles III.

I doubt he'll change it after he's been known as Prince Charles for so long. I don't really see the point in being Charles for 64 years and then using Philip, Arthur or George. I'm pretty sure he'll be Charles III.

Me too. Personally I'd love to see another King Charles, we haven't had one for over 200 years! Charles III of the United Kingdom has a nice ring to it. :flowers:

Hopefully he will keep the names Charles. This has been his name since birth, so why would you really want to change it as everyone knows him as Prince Charles.

Given that so many people dislike Prince Charles, particulary over the Diana situation, I can see him changing his regnal name to give himself a fresh new name to start his reign.

Given that so many people dislike Prince Charles, particularly over the Diana situation, I can see him changing his regnal name to give himself a fresh new name to start his reign.
Interesting thought, Iluvbertie. Do you think Charles thinks that would work?

My own opinion is that he cares about the islands above all. Not Ireland - the rest of the islands. I think he courts Australia, Canada and New Zealand and wants to keep them in the fold. They have size and heft. He knows they need courting. Beyond that, I think he loves all the Commonwealth but is aware of "economies of scale" shall we say. I have always thought he learned from mummy how much love and attention to give to whom.

I'd honestly be shocked if he chooses to go with anything but Charles. It's how he's been known
his whole life.

I don't think it was out of spite.
Queen Victoria had made it known that she did not want any future monarch to bear the name Albert. She felt that a monarch with the name would eclipse the memory of her beloved husband, Prince Albert, The Prince Consort. It is likely Edward VII did not choose his first given name as his regnal out of respect for his mother's wished; they might not have been particularly close, but he certainly respected her.
I didn't know this! I always assumed it was because he thought the name was too German sounding.

It does make sense though, especially as Elizabeth II's father Albert used a different name as well.

Well Elizabeth's father chose to reign as George VI to signify continuity after the abdication crisis and also some people felt Albert was too Germanic which given the times would also not have been a good idea.
Given that Victoria wished all her descendents to bear the names Victoria or Albert she must have assumed that eventually there would be a Victoria II or an Albert Ist. Edward VII eldest son was Prince Albert Victor so had he lived he may well have become Albert Ist.

Given that Victoria wished all her descendents to bear the names Victoria or Albert she must have assumed that eventually there would be a Victoria II or an Albert Ist. Edward VII eldest son was Prince Albert Victor so had he lived he may well have become Albert Ist.

NGalitzine, Victoria wanted all descendants to have Victoria/Albert as one of their names, but never as a regnal name..
So she dreaded the possibility of a King Albert or Victoria II.

Artemisia, you are absolutely right. Edward VII took that name out respect for his mother's wishes. I even remember reading his coronation speech in which he said, "He chose to reign as Edward , citing a wish to leave the name Albert, his father’s name of course, untarnished in royal history".

He actually said, at his accession council speech "I was christened Albert Edward under the assumption that I would reign as Albert Edward but I believe that the name of Albert, associated for so long with my father, should stand alone and so will reign as Edward VII'.

In fact the first act of his reign was to go against the wishes of his mother who had wanted him to reign as Albert Edward.

Charles is know worldwide under his own name. It would be confusing if he changed it, although it would gain temporary publiticy.
We are used to a monarch who is out and about a great deal. If Elizabeth cannot be out and about due to age or infirmity, this will be a problem. In Victoria's day she could stay in the palace and come out once a year and still be queen. No more. So I hope the Queen abdicates in favor of Charles rather than just fading away. She would still be the very honored Queen Mum who will never be forgotten.

The Queen will never abdicate. She said as much less than a year ago - she regards being Queen as a calling from God and one that only God can take from her by her death.

She first vowed to serve for her entire life in 1947, again in 1952, 1953, 1977, 1982, 2002 and again last year at the time of her Jubilee.

Last edited:
Mariel said:
Charles is know worldwide under his own name. It would be confusing if he changed it, although it would gain temporary publiticy.
We are used to a monarch who is out and about a great deal. If Elizabeth cannot be out and about due to age or infirmity, this will be a problem. In Victoria's day she could stay in the palace and come out once a year and still be queen. No more. So I hope the Queen abdicates in favor of Charles rather than just fading away. She would still be the very honored Queen Mum who will never be forgotten.

She'll never abdicate. And if she becomes ill, Charles will stand in for her whenever necessary as she did for her father when he was ill.

She'll never abdicate. And if she becomes ill, Charles will stand in for her whenever necessary as she did for her father when he was ill.

I have to agree with you here. As time passes, I do expect Charles to be stepping in more and more for his mother should the occasion warrant it. As far as there being a big hue and cry if HM isn't out and about as much as one post mentioned, I don't think there'll be a peep. Queen Elizabeth has been firmly ingrained in people's hearts and mind as their beloved Queen and should it come to pass that she's only seen in public say every few months (hopefully due to a ripe old age), it will be all the more special for the people of the realm.

I suspect that if it reaches the stage where she can't function as monarch - due to mental deterioration - then we won't see her at all as Charles would be Regent.

Stepping in and doing some duties - such as investitures, which he and Anne have been doing for years, isn't the same thing as replacing her because her mental faculties fade.

I suspect that if it reaches the stage where she can't function as monarch - due to mental deterioration - then we won't see her at all as Charles would be Regent.

Stepping in and doing some duties - such as investitures, which he and Anne have been doing for years, isn't the same thing as replacing her because her mental faculties fade.

TBH, losing her mental capabilities is one of the things I don't really see HM (or the DoE) falling prone to. I don't believe QEQM suffered any loss of mental capabilities did she? It is possible though and in that case, I would see Charles being Regent until HM passed on.

In fact, the Queen Mother herself insisted on attending Princess Margaret's funeral contrary to physician's advice just weeks before her own death. It was her final appearance in public. There's a stubborn streak that runs in that family and they've put it to good use. :D

Forgive me, you are all much 'senior' to me here, but arent we drifting away from the real topic..
And since we are already there, one aspect where Charles cannot represent the Queen fully unless he is a regent is "State Visits". He may make an official visit on behalf on the Queen, as he and many others are doing for several years, but then that wont be a full-fledged State Visit, since other countries cannot recognise him as Head of State until Parliament pronounces him Regent, and that situation is very unlikely, as Queen may not exactly become "incapacitated". If not regent, he will be accorded just the rank of Vice-President, will not be given military salutes and all..

It was her final appearance in public.
And BTW, do you count that as a 'public appearance'? I am not sure.. Did anyone, public or media, barring those inside the cathedral see her? NOOOO
Her 'final public appearance' was recommissioning of HMS Ark Royal in Portsmouth, I believe- atleast the last one I saw on TV/Youtube. SHe apparently attended some races and presented trophies also..

Last edited:
And BTW, do you count that as a 'public appearance'? I am not sure.. Did anyone, public or media, barring those inside the cathedral see her? NOOOO

Her 'final public appearance' was recommissioning of HMS Ark Royal in Portsmouth, I believe- atleast the last one I saw on TV/Youtube. SHe apparently attended some races and presented trophies also..

Actually I did do some searching before posting that remark and went by what the Daily Mail said on the announcement of the Queen Mother's death.

The Queen Mother dies | Mail Online

Back to the topic at hand though, I do think it wouldn't be logical if Charles used any name but his own as King. He goes by King George or any other name, people are going to be scratching their heads and going "Who??" I'd really be surprised if its anything other than King Charles III.

I would like Prince Charles to reign as Charles III but I do wonder whether he will choose a different regnal name because he has been the Prince of Wales so long. He has been PofW and heir for quite some time and may feel that he needs to change his name to better establish credibility and identity as king.

I would like Prince Charles to reign as Charles III but I do wonder whether he will choose a different regnal name because he has been the Prince of Wales so long. He has been PofW and heir for quite some time and may feel that he needs to change his name to better establish credibility and identity as king.

I don't think that he needs to better establish credibility and identity as king. the vast majority of the public (the silent majority) expect him to be king and be called Charles III. He'd look stupid if he called himself anything else.

I don't think that he needs to better establish credibility and identity as king. the vast majority of the public (the silent majority) expect him to be king and be called Charles III. He'd look stupid if he called himself anything else.

Exactly. His credentials can never and will never surpass those as PoW, unless there is a WW III and constitutional crisis at the same time, and he single-handedly assumes full power and successfully steers the nation to become a world power again.
Also he'd definitely be made to look stupid by our DM and all..They have Americanised themselves so much that they are now ready to refer a Queen Consort with her maiden last name..

Last edited:

Are the people inside the Cathedral not the 'public'? I think they are.

Also he'd definitely be made to look stupid by our DM and all..They have Americanised themselves so much that they are now ready to refer a Queen Consort with her maiden last name..

What do you mean by this? I don't see why "americanised" has anything to do with maiden names? Could you explain?

I wonder..

Whether the Queen has already had her regnal name finalised before that 'moment' came..I read somewhere that soon after she was informed of the King's death, her Private Secretary asked her what will she chose for her regnal name, and she said immediately "My own, of course"..
But as far as I know all such things are meticulously planned ages in advance to the minutest in detail.
So Charles also must have made up what he is going to reign as, with due approval of his mother..

Whether the Queen has already had her regnal name finalised before that 'moment' came..I read somewhere that soon after she was informed of the King's death, her Private Secretary asked her what will she chose for her regnal name, and she said immediately "My own, of course"..
But as far as I know all such things are meticulously planned ages in advance to the minutest in detail.
So Charles also must have made up what he is going to reign as, with due approval of his mother..

Why does he need the approval of his mother? She'll be dead when he reigns, moreover she chose to name him Charles. Things that are meticulously planned are coronation details, announcements, titles etc, a name is a choice made by The King or Queen and can be changed on a day to day basis, the "my own of course" story seems correct for Queen Elizabeth II.

Charles has certainly had ample time to ruminate on which name he will use, should he outlive his mother. 'Charles' is certainly an appropriate name from a historical viewpoint.

The Prince has been known as Charles since he was born, It would be easier for everyone if he's just Charles III. I think it would be an odd feeling to wake up to the news of King George or another name, almost like a different person.

The Prince has been known as Charles since he was born, It would be easier for everyone if he's just Charles III. I think it would be an odd feeling to wake up to the news of King George or another name, almost like a different person.

George VI was known as Bertie all his life, but he chose a different name.

:previous:

Exactly - Bertie in the family and Prince Albert officially and still chose George as his regnal name.

Edward VII was always known as Bertie in the family and Prince Albert Edward officially and his mother expected him to reign as King Albert Edward but he still chose just to use the regnal name of Edward VI and no one seemed to mind that at the time.

I always thought that there were kind of extenuating circumstance surrounding the names they had/the names they went with in regards to the two Berties, Edward VII and George VI.

Edward, previously known as Prince Albert Edward, had a typical Hanoverian relationship with his parents - I wouldn't exactly say that he liked them or that they liked him. He was named in part for his father, and it was his mother's desire that he be crowned "King Albert Edward" and that all subsequent Kings be "Albert something" (hence his first son's name being "Albert Victor"). Except, can you really blame a guy for not wanting to be known (for the rest of your life and really the rest of history) by the name of a guy who 1. you didn't really like and 2. you were accused of causing the death of, in accordance to the wishes of 1. another person you didn't really like who 2. did the accusing?

As for George, he came to the throne during a crisis. His name choice didn't necessarily reflect his feelings regarding his name but rather a desire to stress the connection with his father.

Charles has, to the best of my knowledge, no issues regarding his name and no need to stress any continuity with any of the Georges. His mother named him Charles, suggesting that she wanted him to become Charles III, but there isn't a Hanoverian relationship there. Furthermore it's the name that he's been known by for 64 years. Yes, both Edward and George were known by other names prior to ascending, but I always felt more like they were known by their titles - The Prince of Wales and The Duke of York - more so than any name. Charles, however, is known by his name.

George VI was known as Bertie all his life, but he chose a different name.

But I don't think he was known as Bertie to the general public. The press usually referred to him as the Duke of York.

Whereas Charles is generally called Prince Charles.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean much; he could change it easily when he ascends the throne.
But it would seem a bit odd after all these years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom