Charles as King: Choice of Regnal Name

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not everyone would agree on that point .. they might say that Mary II and William III were the usurpers! Anyway Bonnie Prince Charlie was hailed as the King in Edinburgh ... just saying that using his natal name might not be the best policy.

I think that that is only just between supporters of current royal family and Jacobites. And with my knowledge Jacobites are not very strong political power currently. Probably even smaller one than Carlists of Spain. Do even current nominal claimant duke of Bavaria care about that issue any?=

And IMO it would look bit odd that Charles would use number IV not III since previous legal king Charles was II. Yes, not quiet unique thing but using name Charles IV would mean that prince of Wales and royal family recognise the Bonnie Prince as legal king. And how many Brits even know about that Jacobite claimant?

But seriously folks, looking over at everything posted, I think the chances are greater that Charles and Camilla would choose to use "King Fred and Queen Gladys" over using any other names when the time comes. Using the names that they have gone by for over 70 years just really makes the most sense to me. Until the time comes though, we won't know as it's known that Charles can choose *any* name as his regnal name. Even "Fred". :D

Hi all! Personally, I had assumed we got a hint of the future when Prince George of Cambridge was named in 2013. I remember that I took his naming as evidence that Charles would take his own name as Charles III as king - and by explicitly naming a future king "George," they were insuring that the name would be used in the future. For what it's worth, that's my thought process...

Beth

The name Charles is expected to choose when he becomes King

Had King George VI felt that the name Charles would be an issue for the next Heir to the Throne, he wouldn’t have signed it off…

If he chooses a different regnal name, it will be George VII (though that would likely put his grandson as George VIII, and having him always be compared by some to Edward VIII and Henry VIII)

But i have very difficult to see why a man becoming King around the age of 75 would want to be known by something else than he has been known all his life…

He will by all likelyhood reign as Charles III. If the scots would protest (wich they won’t as they will be fully occupied campaigning for the 2:nd referendum of Independence) he could reign Charles IV there instead… Different regnal numbers in England and Scotland is after all not unheard of.

Last edited:
I read years ago that the present Queen gave her two eldest children Stuart names at her mother’s suggestion. The Queen Mother was immensely proud of being Scottish and born into one of Scotland’s oldest aristocratic families. If that’s true then presumably George VI knew the reasons for naming his daughter’s first baby Charles and agreed with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom