The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-01-2021, 09:31 AM
Majesty

if she's not titled as Queen, she'll be titled as Princess Consort, as was announced at the time of her marriage.

Old 05-01-2021, 10:46 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Agreed. But which king Charles will he be? I know that former kings are counted if they reigned in the same place, even if it was a different kingdom. Hence Elizabeth is Elisabeth II., though there never was an Elizabeth I. of Scotland. But as England is a part of the Uk, she is the second Elizabeth to rule there. Now with Charles we get a historical problem: does they follow the de jure or the de facto kings? For de facto Charles would be Charles III., as there were two kings Charles of the kingdoms of England, Scotland and Ireland.

De jure there was a Charles III. as well, as grandson of the deposed king James he was a nephew of queen Anne and thus close to the throne: Charles Edward Stuart, aka Bonnie Prince Charlie. When he tried to take back his inheritance 1745, he took Edinburgh and was named there as Princeregent for his father James III. who had stayed in Rome. After his uprising failed, the Princeregent (officially named that by his father before 1745) settled back in Rome and in 1766, after his father's death, declared himself Charles III. A title the pope acknowledged.

Now of course the British Parliament didn't acknowledge him, so Chalres could take the Regal Number, but still, it makes me wonder if Charles wants to take that or if he will give "Bonnie Prince Charlie" this acknowledgement (he was the last male-line Stuart anyway) and reign as Charles IV. or go with the title of George VII?

In times when the Scottish independence is still a very actual topic, there might be discussions about that as well.

If he recognized Bonnie Prince Charlie, he would have by analogy to recognize also all subsequent de jure kings of England and Scotland in the Jacobite line of succession (respectively of the Houses of Orléans, Savoy, Austria-Este, and Wittelsbach). And he would also have to acknowledge that all British monarchs from William III and Mary II to his mother were illegitimate.

Of course that is not going to happen. Parliament asserted its sovereignty in 1689 and again in 1701 declaring that it has the exclusive power to determine by law the order of succession to the throne. And the law excluded all Jacobite pretenders including Bonnie Prince Charlie from the succession.

Old 05-01-2021, 10:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I wasn't sure in which thread Camilla's future title was discussed (maybe it should have it's own thread?); so feel free to move it to a more appropriate place.

I just read that Tom Parker-Bowles commented on his mother's future title. Not sure why he felt the need to answer.
I don't think it appropriate for Tom Parker Bowles to talk about his mother's possible future titles. I think his stepfather should speak to him about that.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As Charles is both stepfather and godfather to Tom Parker-Bowles who has known "Sir" (affectionate term used like "uncle") since childhood, I don't see a problem here. His answer though was very noncommittal and as informative as either Charles or Camilla stating "we'll see" when asked the same question.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:02 PM
Nobility

My money is on Charles III, and that is also what I would prefer.
He's been known as Charles all his life and changing at this point would be a bit silly. He's the only Charles in the core Royal Family but not the only George, his grandson being destined to be King.

Bertie junior became George VI to emphasise continuity after the abdication episode and Bertie senior, known anyway as Albert Edward, became Edward VII so as not to eclipse his father, allegedly.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
If he recognized Bonnie Prince Charlie, he would have by analogy to recognize also all subsequent de jure kings of England and Scotland in the Jacobite line of succession (respectively of the Houses of Orléans, Savoy, Austria-Este, and Wittelsbach). And he would also have to acknowledge that all British monarchs from William III and Mary II to his mother were illegitimate.

Of course that is not going to happen. Parliament asserted its sovereignty in 1689 and again in 1701 declaring that it has the exclusive power to determine by law the order of succession to the throne. And the law excluded all Jacobite pretenders including Bonnie Prince Charlie from the succession.
He wears Bonnie Prince Charlie's tartan occasionally in Scotland, which is odd.