The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #401  
Old 03-29-2021, 11:26 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Queens Village,, United States
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I do hope that he'll take George instead of Charles, since it is a very unfortunate name for a British Monarch. But the Daily Star whilst sometimes entertaining isn't really a serious source and they're just repeating old discussions on the subject.
I hope he stays with the name Charles. he's been known by that for over 70 years. Bring luck to the name Charles.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #402  
Old 03-29-2021, 01:44 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
I hope he stays with the name Charles. he's been known by that for over 70 years. Bring luck to the name Charles.
How can anyone "bring luck" to a name? I think he'll stcik with Charles but I can understand him perhaps thinking it is a rather unlucky name...
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #403  
Old 03-29-2021, 01:48 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,469
I assume he'll be Charles. He's been Charles for over 70 years. And Charles II was actually very popular - people in the 17th century seemed to think that having loads of mistresses and illegitimate kids was all jolly good fun, possibly on the grounds that anything was better than Cromwell!
Reply With Quote
  #404  
Old 03-29-2021, 01:55 PM
SLV's Avatar
SLV SLV is offline
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 1,678
If a bad monarch can make a name 'unlucky', a good monarch can do the reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
How can anyone "bring luck" to a name? I think he'll stcik with Charles but I can understand him perhaps thinking it is a rather unlucky name...
Reply With Quote
  #405  
Old 03-29-2021, 02:05 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,661
I don't see any reason for Charles to pick a different regal name. His mother didn't and his parents seem to have picked a name that would be fitting for a king (just like Charles and Diana did for William and William and Catherine did for George). Elizabeth's father was not supposed to be king; and probably didn't consider 'Albert' regal enough?! His grandfather who was also known as Bertie picked Edward over Albert after all. Of course do not know what regnal name Albert Victor Christian Edward would have chosen had he reigned - but Edward seems likely for someone going by 'Eddy'.

But I guess, if they so pleased either one could pick one of the other names...
Charles Philip Arthur George
William Arthur Philip Louis
George Alexander Louis
We could have 2 Philips, 2 Arthurs or 2 Louis' in a row for example; or start a tradition in which George is used for every second generation - but I don't see why they would prefer that over using their own name.

Many people expected Willem-Alexander to be known as 'Willem IV' but he was very clear that his name was Willem-Alexander (Alex(ander) for friends and family), so he did not intend to become a Willem IV upon his ascension to the throne - comparing that naming convention to cows (Willem IV walks next to Bertha XIII in the meadow)
Reply With Quote
  #406  
Old 03-29-2021, 02:27 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I don't see any reason for Charles to pick a different regal name. His mother didn't and his parents seem to have picked a name that would be fitting for a king (just like Charles and Diana did for William and William and Catherine did for George). Elizabeth's father was not supposed to be king; and probably didn't consider 'Albert' regal enough?! His grandfather who was also known as Bertie picked Edward over Albert after all. Of course do not know what regnal name Albert Victor Christian Edward would have chosen had he reigned - but Edward seems likely for someone going by 'Eddy'.
I've often read that George VI decided on "George" for a regnal name to install a sense of continuity between his father, George V and himself due to the abdication of Edward VIII. I think he made a brilliant move there and *did* go on to being a strong king during the WWII years.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #407  
Old 03-29-2021, 02:27 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
It would be ridiculous, IMO, for anyone (except the Pope) to adopt a different Regnal name in this day and age....esp. if you’re been known worldwide by your birth name for 70+ years
Absolutely! For a man to decide to be known by a name different to that which he has been know by for over 70 years would be just ridiculous.
We should remember how Her Majesty The Queen replied in 1952 when asked what her regnal name would be - "My own, of course - what else?"
Reply With Quote
  #408  
Old 03-29-2021, 03:20 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 32,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I assume he'll be Charles. He's been Charles for over 70 years. And Charles II was actually very popular - people in the 17th century seemed to think that having loads of mistresses and illegitimate kids was all jolly good fun, possibly on the grounds that anything was better than Cromwell!
Charles III would get my vote too.
Reply With Quote
  #409  
Old 03-29-2021, 04:29 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,410
I’m voting for H.M King Arthur Pendragon II

No but i’m sure it will be Charles III (perhaps Charles IV in Scotland ?)

Changing name when you’re in your mid-upper 70:s would be quite ridiculous...

Unless he really wants to go by George VII but i don’t see why he would... Even his grandfather George VI who knew him as a child, knew him as Charles and likely saw him as a future Charles III.
Reply With Quote
  #410  
Old 03-29-2021, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Prince Charles "to be crowned King George" when he succeeds
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/late...queen-21435847
The headline is regrettably inaccurate, as the article does not claim Charles will be crowned as King George. It merely reports that some "royal commentators" have speculated that he might or might not make that choice.
Reply With Quote
  #411  
Old 03-29-2021, 05:09 PM
Prinsara's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: A place to grow, Canada
Posts: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Elizabeth's father was not supposed to be king; and probably didn't consider 'Albert' regal enough?! His grandfather who was also known as Bertie picked Edward over Albert after all.
His parents picked a name fitting for a Prince Consort. His grandfather, fully expected to be "King Albert Edward", chose to be Edward either out of some very complicated psychology with both of his parents and/or as he politely said, that his father's name should stand alone.

In George VI's case, he had the option of being the first King Albert or going with continuity, as said. He chose not to rock the boat (more). But in neither case was it because of 'not regal enough'.

And they are the only two British monarchs who've had "regnal names", aside from Victoria who simply didn't like and wasn't known as "Alexandrina". Charles not reigning as Charles would still be the exception, not the rule.
Reply With Quote
  #412  
Old 03-29-2021, 05:24 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
His parents picked a name fitting for a Prince Consort. His grandfather, fully expected to be "King Albert Edward", chose to be Edward either out of some very complicated psychology with both of his parents and/or as he politely said, that his father's name should stand alone.

In George VI's case, he had the option of being the first King Albert or going with continuity, as said. He chose not to rock the boat (more). But in neither case was it because of 'not regal enough'.

And they are the only two British monarchs who've had "regnal names", aside from Victoria who simply didn't like and wasn't known as "Alexandrina". Charles not reigning as Charles would still be the exception, not the rule.
Of which country was he supposed to be a prince consort? Did they have a specific princess in mind they wanted to marry him to from birth? The only queen that might need a prince consort would be queen Wilhelmina who was 15 years old at the time of his birth, so I don't think he was ever a serious contender.

Oh wait, you mean that he was named after Victoria's prince consort: of that I am aware. However, while Victoria and Albert wanted their descendants to all carry their name; that doesn't necessarily mean that it would be picked as the name for a future king. I don't expect a future reigning queen 'Máxima' in the Netherlands for example just because Willem-Alexander married someone who happened to have that name; or a future reigning queen Sonja in Norway...
Reply With Quote
  #413  
Old 03-29-2021, 05:54 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,469
I think there was some speculation that Victoria might choose to be Elizabeth II, but she had no personal connection with the name Elizabeth, and I don't think she herself ever considered it. George VI wanted to stress continuity with his father's reign after the mess his brother made of things. Edward VII's the interesting one ... maybe he thought Edward was a more British-sounding name, but Albert had become a popular name in English-speaking countries by then anyway, or maybe it was just because he and his father didn't get on and he didn't want to reign under that name.
Reply With Quote
  #414  
Old 04-07-2021, 08:25 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
I would love it if Charles were to choose to reign as George VII in honor of his grandfather....
Reply With Quote
  #415  
Old 04-07-2021, 08:45 AM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 10,174
He is 72 and throughout those years all the world knew him as Charles.
Reply With Quote
  #416  
Old 04-07-2021, 09:27 AM
Prinsara's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: A place to grow, Canada
Posts: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Oh wait, you mean that he was named after Victoria's prince consort: of that I am aware. However, while Victoria and Albert wanted their descendants to all carry their name; that doesn't necessarily mean that it would be picked as the name for a future king. I don't expect a future reigning queen 'Máxima' in the Netherlands for example just because Willem-Alexander married someone who happened to have that name; or a future reigning queen Sonja in Norway...
Again, Edward VII was supposed to be King Albert Edward and his son Eddy was meant to be King Albert Victor. Currently not seeing any value in consorts' names doesn't mean that Victoria and others didn't see it as regal.
Reply With Quote
  #417  
Old 04-07-2021, 10:46 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post

Oh wait, you mean that he was named after Victoria's prince consort: of that I am aware. However, while Victoria and Albert wanted their descendants to all carry their name; that doesn't necessarily mean that it would be picked as the name for a future king. .
Certainly Victoria expected her son to reign as King Albert Edward.
Reply With Quote
  #418  
Old 04-07-2021, 11:23 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I would love it if Charles were to choose to reign as George VII in honor of his grandfather....
I think its highly unlikely... Perhaps he liked the idea when he was younger.. but its never been definitively stated that he expressed such a wish.
Reply With Quote
  #419  
Old 04-07-2021, 11:31 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Again, Edward VII was supposed to be King Albert Edward and his son Eddy was meant to be King Albert Victor. Currently not seeing any value in consorts' names doesn't mean that Victoria and others didn't see it as regal.
I'd forgotten about Albert Victor.. but yes Vic wanted a long line of Alberts with possibly a second name for some of them.
Reply With Quote
  #420  
Old 04-07-2021, 11:48 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
He is 72 and throughout those years all the world knew him as Charles.
I know that, still doesn’t change my mind - the world would get used to it. If he stays as Charles, that’s fine...but I still prefer George VII
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Prince of Wales & The Duchess of Cornwall visit Denmark: March 24-27, 2012 Viv Royal House of Denmark 339 08-24-2021 08:36 PM
Charles as King: Choice of Regnal Name Madame Royale The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall 465 07-05-2021 08:24 PM
Ruling Family of Abu Dhabi: Al Nahyan dynasty 2: August 2011 - dazzling Ruling Family of Abu Dhabi 295 12-14-2020 07:05 AM
The Monarchy under Charles hofburg British Royals 3281 05-22-2018 02:05 PM
Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 23: July 2011-June 2012 Zonk Current Events Archive 916 06-03-2012 08:03 AM




Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian baby names british british royal family buckingham palace camilla camilla's family camilla parker bowles carolin china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese clarence house commonwealth countries crown jewels daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of sussex edward vii family tree genetics gradenigo gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hello! highgrove history hochberg hypothetical monarchs jack brooksbank japan japanese imperial family japan history jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos książ castle liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor list of rulers meghan markle monarchists monarchy mongolia names plantinum jubilee pless politics portugal prince harry princess eugenie queen consort queen victoria royal ancestry spanish royal family st edward sussex suthida swedish queen thai royal family unfinished portrait united states united states of america welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:51 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×