Charles & Camilla: Visit to Romania, Italy, Holy See & Austria - Mar 29-Apr 6, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Videos from YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QelCp5KE4Zk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T0EKvof29c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eNMufIjH-4

Would be good to see some coverage. The DM (the only paper I can access as the others are behind a pay wall) has nothing on the tour at all on its UK page (has a story about half-way down about the new book, one about Wallis Simpson cheating on Edward VIII and some about some European royals).

The coverage of this tour seems about normal for Charles and Camilla from my side of the world - none. But that is normal as they don't get any coverage unless it is negative or they are here.

If there was a story on their events for 2nd April it isn't there now (or I can't find it on the page on the internet).
As I said in my previous posts: Charles/Camilla has (and deservedly so) received more attention from the British press than on previous visits. But had it not been for the Royal EU charm offensive (as the press calls it), this visit would not have gotten any attention on British television at all, with the exception of the audience with the Pope.

Several royal photographers/reporters are with them (including Sky News Royal Correspondent Rhiannon Mills and ITV Royal Editor Chris Ship) and BBC/Sky News sent live from Italy yesterday.

There have been articles from BBC, ITV, Sky, Telegraph, Express etc. Daily Fail has had 9 articles (19 if you add those from PA). Camilla was on the Telegraph front page yesterday and Charles today.

Last edited:
I have not seen any coverage even in the DM - which as I said is the only British paper I can access due to the pay walls. There has been nothing on any outlet down here (by the way Harry did something today - just saw that on the morning news).

We only get coverage of William, Kate and Harry and occasionally the Queen (usually only when she does something with the aforementioned three people).

I have not seen any coverage even in the DM - which as I said is the only British paper I can access due to the pay walls. There has been nothing on any outlet down here (by the way Harry did something today - just saw that on the morning news).

We only get coverage of William, Kate and Harry and occasionally the Queen (usually only when she does something with the aforementioned three people).

People have been posting links to DM articles throughout this thread. I've been looking on the DM UK page (not the Australian page) and I have seen stories every day - hidden in the middle of the page maybe, but they've been there.

The DM and Daily Express and to a lesser extent the Telegraph are running various articles (online at least) about their tour. That is pretty good going for royals other than W&K and sometimes (Depending where she is visiting) The Queen.

As I said in post 64, Daily Fail has had 9 articles (19 if you add those from PA). The last article has now been updated.

Court Circular 31st March:
The Prince of Wales today carried out the following engagements in Romania.

His Royal Highness this morning walked through the Old Town of Hanul lui Manuc Caravanseri.

The Prince of Wales subsequently visited Stravropoleos Church and Convent.

His Royal Highness, Vice Patron, afterwards visited the I. L. Caragiale National Theatre, Bucharest.

The Prince of Wales this afternoon visited the Hospice Casa Sperantei and attended a Reception for supporters of Hospices of Hope.

His Royal Highness later visited community-based projects in Vizuresti Village.

The Prince of Wales afterwards departed Bucharest Henri Coanda (Otopeni) International Airport for Italy and was received later upon arrival at Pisa International Airport by Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Italian Republic (Her Excellency Ms. Jill Morris).

The Prince of Wales, Patron, and The Duchess of Cornwall this evening visited the British Institute of Florence, Lungarno Guicciardini 9, Florence.

Court Circular 1st April:
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall today carried out the following engagements in Italy.

His Royal Highness this morning attended a Service of Remembrance at the Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery, Montecchio Precalcino.

The Prince of Wales this afternoon visited the Centre of Excellence for Stability Policing Units, Venice.

His Royal Highness afterwards laid a wreath at the Pasubio Ossuary, Vicenza.

The Prince of Wales later visited the Path of the 52 Tunnels, Veneto.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this evening attended a Wine Industry Reception at the Villa San Michele Hotel, Florence.

The Duchess of Cornwall this afternoon visited la Gloriette - Centro Sociale Polivalente, Naples.

Her Royal Highness afterwards visited E. Marinella workshop and museum, Naples.

The Duchess of Cornwall later visited the archaeological site at Herculaneum.

Court Circular 2nd April:
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall today carried out the following engagements in Italy.

His Royal Highness this morning visited the earthquake site at Amatrice, Lazio, and toured the "Red Zone" before visiting the Operations Centre and laying flowers at the Memorial.

The Prince of Wales afterwards visited temporary housing and the Save the Children Pavilion at Amatrice, before attending a Reception for volunteers, emergency response personnel and local families and businesses.

The Prince of Wales this evening held a Meeting on International Cultural Initiatives, at the Villa San Michele Hotel, Florence.

The Duchess of Cornwall this morning met victims of trafficking and women who have experienced domestic abuse, at the Associazione Progetto Arcobaleno, Florence.

Her Royal Highness today visited the Vasari Corridor, Florence.

The Duchess of Cornwall this afternoon visited St. Mark's English Church, Florence.

As I said in post 64, Daily Fail has had 9 articles (19 if you add those from PA). The last article has now been updated.

I have found one on the UK page towards the bottom of the side-bar stories.

I am beginning to thing that even though it says 'UK' that fact that I am in Australia I am getting a different UK page to what is coming up as UK elsewhere in the world.

If I wasn't a member on this site I wouldn't even know that there was a tour given the lack of coverage - certainly not a tour of international importance, unlike William and Kate who have 100s of press on their tours.

I never go to their webpage to look. I just google the couple and articles come up. Or click on the many links supplied here. :flowers:

I love Charles new tie and the sentiment behind the year. Sweet of her :)

Must admit jealous of all the food and sites they are seeing. I have been to Pompeii but not Herculanium, so jealous to see the photos.

Look forward to them meeting the pope tomorrow.

I have not seen any coverage even in the DM - which as I said is the only British paper I can access due to the pay walls. [...]

The Guardian? The Independent? The Telegraph? All accessible without paywall.

Not to me - they all want money to read anything other than the headlines.

Prince Charles visiting the rubble of Amatrice was mentioned on a news update yesterday on one of the radio stations in Melbourne, Nova 100. I've also seen a few articles across various Australian sites - Sydney Morning Herald, 7 News Yahoo, News.com.au.

It's not the same level of coverage the younger royals get, but there hasn't been none.

Prince Charles named Renaissance Man of the Year on 'Brexit diplomacy' trip
https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/34880722/prince-charles-to-meet-italy-quake-survivors/#page1

Read more: Outspoken Prince and Pope's meeting cements interfaith message
The top Catholic and future Church of England head have much in common, including courting controversy, says Sky's Rhiannon Mills.

It's a pity the Prince and the Pope will probably largely have to speak through a translator when they meet in the Vatican City today.

From their views on climate change, to helping the disadvantaged and speaking out against the persecution of Christians, Prince Charles and Pope Francis have a great deal in common.

Whether you think that's a good thing really depends on your personal point of view on what people in their positions should and shouldn't be saying.

Both have been described as men with modern values and campaigners, wanting to use their position as a force for good.

On the other hand they've both been criticised for interfering, overstepping the mark and being too political with a capital P.

Damian Thompson, the associate editor of the Catholic Herald, described it to me as a meeting of minds and egos.

He said: "You could say, if you were going to be uncharitable, that both Prince Charles and Pope Francis have a way of interfering in matters and then denying that they've interfered.

"The Pope is making controversial appointments left, right and centre and throwing out suggestions to which his name is not actually attached and then, when questioned about it, gets terribly evasive."
One can't compare a church leader with political power and influence with an upcoming constitutional monarch. And both John Paul II, Benedict XVI and Francis is far more controversial than Prince Charles.

Last edited:
Daily Fail and their stupid articles: Camilla looks at a loss after she sneezes into her hand | Daily Mail Online
The Duchess of Cornwall usually looks her polished best at official engagements.

So it is of little surprise that she found herself at a loss when she sneezed into her hand during a pubic appearance in Rome today.

Camilla, 69, politely covered her mouth and turned away from Prince Charles, only to realise seconds later that she did not have a handkerchief to hand.

In a moment familiar to all, the royal then looked around sheepishly for help - or a spare tissue - before resorting to opening and closing her palm.
The Duchess of Cornwall looks awkward after sneezing in Rome

Last edited:
What is the point of keeping the tradition of the "privilege of the white" for Catholic queens if, under Francis, there is no longer a proper dress code to meet the Pope ?

None whatsoever. I don't think the lack of a dress code is an issue, do you?

What is the point of keeping the tradition of the "privilege of the white" for Catholic queens if, under Francis, there is no longer a proper dress code to meet the Pope ?

I have to agree, i was surprised to not see Camilla in black with a veil . I guess the Vatican suggested a more "relaxed" dress code this time.

I have to agree, i was surprised to not see Camilla in black with a veil . I guess the Vatican suggested a more "relaxed" dress code this time.

I have to say I wasn't expecting black and a mantilla. The Queen wore a hat and purple coat when she met the present Pope. However The Duchess of Cornwall's outfit was too close to white, which I think still ought to be reserved for Catholic Queens.

from yesterday's visit to Florence
"Rockstar welcome for Prince Charles "
https://twitter.com/ChrisJack_Getty/status/848905785597984768

"I haven't been on a tour for ages that has generated so much interest. Police have had to hold back crowds of Italians everywhere we've been"
https://twitter.com/ChrisJack_Getty/status/848862416054177792

Inside the Vatican today
https://twitter.com/ClarenceHouse/status/849278710909984769
''Check out the crazy reception the Duchess got in Naples! My picture of her presented with a pizza and then the view from behind!''
https://twitter.com/ChrisJack_Getty/status/848187935476285440

I haven't seen so much interest from people for a royal tour since their visit too Sydney in 2015, where they drev bigger crowds that William/Kate and Harry.

But it can't (of course) match HM The Queen's visits to Australia in 2011 and her visit to Germany in 2015, and many of her other visits.

Last edited:

OT but, personally, I'm glad to see the Vatican get rid of this nonsensical custom. What was the point of it? Other than to allow Popes and the Catholic queens to feel special? Why on earth should non-Catholic women wear a veil? Are popes offended by female hair? Never made sense to me.

Glad to see Charles and Camilla getting such a warm welcome! Charles is turning into a kind of sweet little old man in a lot of ways which most people naturally warm to. He deserves it.

Back
Top Bottom