Charles & Camilla: Visit to Romania, Italy, Holy See & Austria - Mar 29-Apr 6, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Articles from the Telegraph:

Read more: Prince Charles presented with a king during card game in Florence
Prince Charles sat down to a card game in a social centre in the heart of Florence on Monday, as he and his wife, the Duchess of Cornwall, continued their European tour.

“I’ve got a lot to learn,” he said as he surveyed the hand he was dealt, looking as though he would quite happily have settled in for the afternoon with the five elderly men sitting around the table.

One of the card players, a sprightly 83-year-old with white hair, offered to show him some card tricks.

The Prince of Wales jokingly looked up the pensioner’s sleeve to see if there were any cards hidden there.

“Ah yes, very clever,” he said after the man pulled off a deft sleight of hand which ended with him presenting the heir to the throne with a King. “Years of misspent youth, I see.”

Read more: Prince Charles's dilemma about what to give the Pope in Royal visit to the Vatican*
It is a dilemma familiar to us all: what to buy the man who has everything for the big occasion in his life.

That quandary was taken to another level at the Vatican today, as Pope Francis and the Prince of Wales exchanged gifts close to their heart.

The Prince told his host: "It's difficult to know what to give Your Holiness", looking at the hamper of homegrown produce he had settled on before modestly wondering: "Somebody else might like it".

An aide lifted the lid of the wicker basket, placed on a table in a study in the Vatican, to reveal jars of food from the Prince's Highgrove estate nestled amongst the straw.

The Prince, in his first audience with Pope Francis, explained: "They're all homemade things I produce".

His wife, the Duchess of Cornwall, added "It's very good". The items are destined to be distributed among the poor and homeless in Rome, as a gesture from the Pope and Royal couple.

Also from this article:
In 2009, when she met Pope Benedict XVI, she opted to wear the traditional black with a lace mantilla over her head.

A Vatican spokesman said: "Things have become more relaxed over the last few years there are no hard and fast rules."

The Queen didn't wear black when she met with Pope Francis

And why should Camilla, daughter-in-law of the reigning Queen of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, 12 other countries, figurehead for 2 billion people, the most popular head of state (many would say person) in the world, wear black when she meets a controversial church leader.

I feel uncomfortable when I see clips where the Queen (in black) meets John Paul II.

Charles and Camilla at the Vatican (with sound), the ROME REPORTS comentator refered to Charles as the heir to the crown of England:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-g1364mZCM

Last edited:
"My husband talks a lot" :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Ah Cams you're the best !

Finally! Its happened as I always said it would. "The Sneeze Heard Around The World" courtesy of the Daily Fail. :ROFLMAO:

With the influences the HH The Pope has and the intense interest that Charles has in many areas, its a good thing to be able to express their opinions. I don't think that global warming is exactly a political issue but one that concerns every one of us living on this planet. Both men have the interest of all the people globally at heart.

Last edited:
I am sure it will be a very full agenda. This will be C&C demonstrating the soft power of the monarchy at its best.
''Check out the crazy reception the Duchess got in Naples! My picture of her presented with a pizza and then the view from behind!''
https://twitter.com/ChrisJack_Getty/status/848187935476285440

I haven't seen so much interest from people for a royal tour since their visit too Sydney in 2015, where they drev bigger crowds that William/Kate and Harry.

But it can't (of course) match HM The Queen's visits to Australia in 2011 and her visit to Germany in 2015, and many of her other visits.
I noticed that during their last visit to NZ, especially here in Christchurch where Charles and Camilla were relaxed and quite happy to dance with members of the public on a 'Dance-O-Mat'.They have this aura of relaxed conviviality that invites people to participate. I read somewhere (British newspaper) that sending someone as "political" and "privileged" as Charles on a soft diplomatic tour was a disaster waiting to happen. I hope that particular very uncivil Civil Servant is squirming right about now! :D
The Papal audience lasted 30 minutes,the Prince and Duchess also toured the Vatican Library and the British School in Rome .

https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/news-and-diary/their-royal-highnesses-are-received-his-holiness-pope-francis-during-visit-the-holy

Getty Images

Prince Charles And Camilla Pictures and Photos | Getty Images
"My husband talks a lot" :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Ah Cams you're the best !
Watching that video and looking at all the photos of the Papal visit it seemed a like HH was just as enthusiastic as Charles and Camilla moreover, the power of that little half hour was enough for Camilla to feel as relaxed and friendly to crack a joke, in public, to HH about her husband. That is quite a "connection" between them from that little half hour.

Seems to have been a lovely visit. They definitely were in good humor at the end :flowers:

I definitely got a good laugh from Camilla :lol:

I don't get why people have problems with wearing black. I don't get it being perceived as insulting. It's tradition. Just like when you meet the queen you bow. Or when they meet middle Eastern royaks they choose modest clothes. Why is it okay Camilla wears a scarf in The Middle East but it's insulting to the future queen, that she wear a mantilla in Italy? It shows respect to the culture. They are visiting the head of state in his residence. Respect seems to be common sense.

It was a private event so I didn't expect black or a veil. The lightening of rules even in state visits I think we will see a change, no mantilla at least, in Protestant monarchs. But I do think the Catholics will likely continue.

Royals understand the importance of tradition. They exist for the very reason. No surprise they respect others traditions. But just as monarchies are modernizing, the pope is modernizing some traditions.

I love that playful "My husband talks alot" line from Camilla. Charles is a lucky man.

Austrian Federal President Alexander Van der Bellen and his wife Doris Schmidauer welcome Prince Charles Prince of Wales, and his wife Camilla Duchess of Cornwall, on 5 April 2017, in Vienna, Austria.

http://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:112971275:1800x650:w?v=58dd1303&m=aiidaode
http://0.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:112969179:1800x650:w?v=58dd1303&m=kpmhpebo
http://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:112969588:1800x650:w?v=58dd1303&m=mfckjiph

"The Prime Minister was forced to charter a private jet for her diplomatic visit to the Middle East because Prince Charles and his entourage had booked use of her official RAF plane for an overseas trip of their own, it has emerged."

Theresa May forced to charter plane because Prince Charles was using her £10 million RAF jet | The Independent

'Prince Charles aides have denied claims that the Prime Minister was forced to charter a private jet to conduct Government business in the Middle East after he booked "her official plane" for a tour of Europe."

Royal aides hit back at claims Prince Charles 'bumped' Prime Minister off official plane | London Evening Standard

"Duchess of Cornwall, stands next to the General Manager of the Spanish Riding School (Spanische Hofreitschule), Elisabeth Guertler, during a visit at the Spanish Riding School on 6 April 2017, in Vienna. "

Belga Image

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovelty how gentlemanlike the Italians greeted la Duchessa. All with a gentle handshake and a nod of the head. The ceremonials at the Vatican (Pope), the Palazzo del Quirinale (President) and the Palazzo Chigi (Prime Minister) were nice, colourful and well executed.

Last edited:
An Austrian news channel is sending live from all the ewents:
oe24.TV - Österreich / www.oe24.at

Videos:

Arriving in Austria:
Prinz Charles und Camilla am Flughafen

Meeting with the the President of Austria Alexander Van der Bellen:
Prinz Charles und Camilla bei Van der Bellen

Meeting with the the Chancellor of Austria Christian Kern:
Prinz Charles und Camilla bei Christian Kern

Pictures:
Prince Charles Photos Photos - The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall Visit Austria - Day 1 - Zimbio

Last edited:
I am really enjoying this tour. The photos are great. And there is something about this couple that I enjoy watching. I know younger couples may be more exciting to some but I like watching these two.

:previous: I agree! And I'm still amazed by the crowds and interest from people in Italy and the tv coverage in Austria.

I think, for me, watching Charles and Camilla together no matter where they are, is so heartwarming to watch as you can just sense the closeness between these two people. They go together like peanut butter and jelly, soup and sandwich and steak and potatoes. There's a innate sense of really enjoying where they are and who they're are meeting and the public reacts to this.

Camilla really does bring out the best in Charles.

I think, for me, watching Charles and Camilla together no matter where they are, is so heartwarming to watch as you can just sense the closeness between these two people. They go together like peanut butter and jelly, soup and sandwich and steak and potatoes. There's a innate sense of really enjoying where they are and who they're are meeting and the public reacts to this.

Camilla really does bring out the best in Charles.
I agree! But I also think that Charles bring out the best in himself.

I have seen many clips of Charles from both before and after the wedding in 2005, and he always takes the time to greet people, he goes on walkabout and he listens to them he meets.

He has more charisma and is more folksy than all the young royals in Scandinavia, the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain together (even Harry), and that despite the fact that he is 20/30 years older than them. And to those who disagree, check out the videos on Getty Images.

"The Prime Minister was forced to charter a private jet for her diplomatic visit to the Middle East because Prince Charles and his entourage had booked use of her official RAF plane for an overseas trip of their own, it has emerged."

Theresa May forced to charter plane because Prince Charles was using her £10 million RAF jet | The Independent

'Prince Charles aides have denied claims that the Prime Minister was forced to charter a private jet to conduct Government business in the Middle East after he booked "her official plane" for a tour of Europe."

Royal aides hit back at claims Prince Charles 'bumped' Prime Minister off official plane | London Evening Standard
The DM clearly attempting to stir up trouble.

Uppdated article:
Prince Charles and Camilla attend a state dinner in Vienna | Daily Mail Online

Prince Charles tells Holocaust survivors how his 'amazing' grandmother hid Jewish family during war
The Prince of Wales has spoken movingly about the role his grandmother played in saving the lives of a Jewish family during the Second World War as he met Holocaust survivors in Austria.

Charles and Camilla spent the final day of their European tour in Vienna and met British and Austrian survivors of Nazi persecution when they toured the city's Jewish Museum.

The royal couple sat down with a group of elderly men and women who shared their harrowing stories with them.

During the Second World War, Princess Alice, the Duke of Edinburgh's mother and Charles's grandmother, sheltered a number of Jewish people when Greece was occupied.

Alice - who is buried in Israel - was recognised by Israel's Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial as a Righteous Among the Nations, and was posthumously awarded the British Government's Hero of the Holocaust medal.

The Prince told the group: "My father's mother took in a Jewish family during the war and hid them - she was amazing, my grandmother.

"She took them in during the Nazi occupation. She never told anybody, she didn't tell her family for many years.

"She's buried in Jerusalem. In September last year I went to the funeral of President (Shimon) Peres and finally got to see her grave."

Prince Charles and Camilla shown how strudel is made during tour of Vienna
The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall read a copy of a British newspaper when they arrived in Austria - through a gossamer thin sheet of pastry.

Charles and Camilla were shown the test used by pastry chefs making the perfect apple strudel during a behind-the scenes tour of Cafe Demel, one of Vienna's treasured coffee houses.

The royal couple are coming to the end of a nine-day tour of Europe and arrived in the Austrian capital from Rome.

This Austrian news channel is still sending live from all the ewents:
oe24.TV - Österreich / www.oe24.at

Reactions: eya
The DM clearly attempting to stir up trouble.

The DM disgust me. The Waleses are doing so well, clearly generating goodwill and messaging that the UK may leave the EU, it is not leaving Europe. A succesful tour but no, immediately the focus is on poking a fire, to open the sewers, to get nasty comments...

:-(

The DM disgust me. The Waleses are doing so well, clearly generating goodwill and messaging that the UK may leave the EU, it is not leaving Europe. A succesful tour but no, immediately the focus is on poking a fire, to open the sewers, to get nasty comments...

:-(
The reality is that the DM is only feeding the stupid people willing to believe this rubbish.

iI don't get why people have problems with wearing black. I don't get it being perceived as insulting. It's tradition. Just like when you meet the queen you bow. Or when they meet middle Eastern royaks they choose modest clothes. Why is it okay Camilla wears a scarf in The Middle East but it's insulting to the future queen, that she wear a mantilla in Italy? It shows respect to the culture. They are visiting the head of state in his residence. Respect seems to be common sense.

It was a private event so I didn't expect black or a veil. The lightening of rules even in state visits I think we will see a change, no mantilla at least, in Protestant monarchs. But I do think the Catholics will likely continue.

Royals understand the importance of tradition. They exist for the very reason. No surprise they respect others traditions. But just as monarchies are modernizing, the pope is modernizing some traditions.

Queen Silvia and Princess Madeleine wore black in their recent visit to the Pope and it wasn't an official visit. Madeleine also curtsied to the Pope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEEPnHtkuQ

That was actually the first time Queen Elizabeth Ii did not wear black and a veil in a visit to the Pope (and she met several popes before Francis). That is what leads me to believe that Francis is the one who has relaxed the rules, but the British royals seem to be the only ones who got the message.

That was actually the first time Queen Elizabeth Ii did not wear black and a veil in a visit to the Pope (and she met several popes before Francis). That is what leads me to believe that Francis is the one who has relaxed the rules, but the British royals seem to be the only ones who got the message.

Queen Letizia wore a white business suit the last time she visited the Vatican.

Court Circular 3rd April:
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall today carried out engagements in Florence, Italy.

Their Royal Highnesses this morning visited Mercato Sant'Ambrogio.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall subsequently attended a Celebration of Slow Food at Teatro del Sale.

Their Royal Highnesses later visited Opificio delle Pietre Dure.

The Prince of Wales, Patron, the Campaign for Wool, and The Duchess of Cornwall this afternoon attended a Celebration of Wool, Palazzo Pitti.

His Royal Highness afterwards visited the Caritas Hostel, Casa San Paolino.

The Prince of Wales, Vice Patron, the British Council, and Patron, the British Institute of Florence, later visited Palazzo Strozzi.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this evening attended a Gala Dinner at Palazzo Vecchio, at which His Royal Highness received the Strozzi Foundation's Renaissance Man of the Year Award.

Court Circular 4th April:
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall today undertook engagements in Italy.

His Royal Highness, Patron, International Network for Traditional Building, Architecture and Urbanism, and Her Royal Highness this afternoon visited the British School at Rome.

The Prince of Wales afterwards attended a Meeting on Climate Change, Holy See, and was received by Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Holy See (Her Excellency Mrs. Sally Axworthy).

His Royal Highness later visited the Venerable English College and attended a Reception for the British community at the Holy See.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall afterwards visited the Archivum Secretum Vaticanum and the Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana, Holy See.

Their Royal Highnesses were received by His Holiness Pope Francis.

The Prince of Wales later called upon the Cardinal Pietro Parolin (Cardinal Secretary of State).

His Royal Highness this evening received Ms. Ertharin Cousin (Executive Director, United Nations Food Programme) at the Residence in Rome.

Court Circular 5th April:
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this morning attended a Reception at the British Embassy in Rome, Italy.

Their Royal Highnesses were afterwards received by The President of the Italian Republic at Quirinale Palace.

The Prince of Wales later called upon Mr. Paolo Gentiloni (Prime Minister of Italy) at Palazzo Chigi.

His Royal Highness this afternoon attended a Plenary Discussion on the East Africa Famine at the Headquarters of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this afternoon departed from Rome for Austria and were received later upon arrival at Vienna International Airport by Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Republic of Austria (His Excellency Mr. Leigh Turner) and Mrs. Mua Duzdar (State Secretary, Federal Chancellery).

Their Royal Highnesses later visited Café Demel, Vienna.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall were received subsequently by The Federal President of the Republic of Austria and Mrs. Doris Schmidauer at Hofburg Palace.

The Prince of Wales later called upon Chancellor Christian Kern (Chancellor of the Republic of Austria) at Hofburg Palace.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this evening attended a Dinner at Hofburg Palace given by The Federal President of the Republic of Austria and Mrs. Doris Schmidauer.

Quote from an article in the Daily Telegraph (re Camilla's fashion but pertinent to recent posts re meeting the Pope)

"*Prince Charles and Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, are currently travelling around Italy, rounding off their six day tour with a visit to Pope Francis today.

This last engagement offered up one final sartorial challenge for the Duchess- how to embrace Pope Francis's newly relaxed dress code. Instead of donning a black dress and lace mantilla as has long been customary for non-Catholic royals meeting the Pope, Camilla instead opted for a simple gold Anna Valentine coat and scarf.*"

Back
Top Bottom