Charles & Camilla: Visit to Republic of Ireland & Northern Ireland - May 19-22, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lumutqueen

Imperial Majesty
City
Middlewich
Country
United Kingdom
Charles & Camilla: Visit to Republic of Ireland & Northern Ireland - May 19-22, 2015

@RE_DailyMail: Charles and Camilla will undertake their first joint visit to Ireland from May 19 to 21, and then visit Northern Ireland 21 and 22 May.

@RE_DailyMail: Clarence House have confirmed that Prince Charles will visit Sligo, where his great uncle Lord Mountbatten was murdered by the IRA on May 20

@RE_DailyMail: The visit will also see Charles and Camilla attend a private dinner with the President of Ireland Michael D. Higgins and his wife Sabina.

oh it sounds both interesting and a bit creepy at the same time...

To me, its not only interesting but also quite monumental. I'd almost rank it right up there with the Queen's historic visit to the Republic of Ireland a few years ago. As close as Charles was to "Uncle Dickie", to visit the site of the assassination and meet with the people really displays his own willingness to put the past behind him and work on building peaceful and constructive relations. It definitely will be an emotional time for Charles and I'm glad to hear that Camilla will be with him for this.

I'm really looking forward to this visit, but I don't think there will be any significant coverage in the British press. Why not? Because Charles and Camilla are in their 60s.

I'm really looking forward to this visit, but I don't think there will be any significant coverage in the British press. Why not? Because Charles and Camilla are in their 60s.

Normally, I'd agree but I suspect that the visit to Sligo will definitely get major coverage.

Charles visiting Sligo is big with a capital "B". Kate's fans may not be interested but Charles' will, as will those people who are not "fans" of anyone but who have an interest in the RF in the broader, historical, sense. The murder of Lord Louis Mountbatten had a huge impact on Charles, and the fact he is visiting the murder site is a huge deal and will be very poignant for him. I'm glad he will have Camilla at his side.

I think we will see coverage. It's a significant milestone in acknowledging the past so that all can move forward. That kind of stuff gets covered.

I'm really looking forward to this visit - the Queen's visit was such a success and it was a delight to see how well arranged all the events were in Ireland. I hope there is plenty of coverage - there should be, because the visit to Sligo in itself is indeed newsworthy and significant.

I'm sure meeting Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness will be difficult for Charles. There could be a distinct chill in the air.

I'm sure meeting Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness will be difficult for Charles. There could be a distinct chill in the air.

I think it will be a difficult meeting too although I do believe that if Charles had any doubt that he would be able to go ahead with this meeting and remain professional and truly mean that he's seeking peace, I don't think this meeting would even have been scheduled.

There comes a time when bygones should be just that. Bygones. Knowing how Charles is always so impeccably dressed, he wouldn't carry grudges either. They shed horribly.

Hmm. It's one thing to let bygones be bygones in an intellectual sense, but quite another to have to come face to face with those bygones and carry on a cordial conversation with them.

I suppose it's just one of those things you have to do when you're in his position. You have to put personal feelings aside and get on with the job.

You're right about those grudges shedding horribly. :flowers:

All Ireland's main political leaders have been invited to National University Ireland Galway, but the prospect of the visit beginning with the first meeting of a royal and a Sinn Fein leader in the Irish Republic will undoubtedly set the tone.

Mr Adams issued a statement on Monday insisting that all sides should now promote “reconciliation and healing” ahead of the four-day Royal visit.

But he highlighted the fact that Prince Charles is Colonel-in-Chief of the Parachute Regiment, which he said had “killed many Irish citizens”.

And he said the heir to the throne had also been “bereaved by the actions of republicans”, in a clear reference to the bombing of his great-uncle Lord Mountbatten in 1979.

Lord Tebbit, the former Conservative Cabinet minister and previous IRA target, said he expected nothing less from Mr Adams and claimed it was the sign of a “guilty conscience”.
More: Gerry Adams accused of increasing tensions ahead of historic meeting with Prince Charles in Ireland - Telegraph

The Visit will begin today in Galway city,capital of the West of Ireland with a reception at the National University of Ireland Galway,HRH The Duchess of Cornwall will later pay a visit to St Nicholas' National School at Claddagh in Galway.The Prince will travel onto visit thee Marine Institute in Oranmore and then to the Burren in Co Clare.

Tonight the Prince and Duchess will attend a private dinner hosted by President Michael D Higgins and his wife Sabina at Lough Cutra Castle,Co Galway.

TRH arrived at Shannon airport earlier and traveled onto Galway city,so far the weather looks like its behaving itself for the royal visit!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0519/702115-royal-visit/

Getty Images

http://www.gettyimages.ie/search/2/image?phrase=Prince%20Of%20Wales%20And%20The%20Duchess%20Of%20Cornwall%27s%20Irish%20Trip%20Day%20One&family=editorial&sort=best&editorialproducts=&excludenudity=true&page=1

Last edited:
I think it is a brilliant step in correct direction in this troubling world of today. No one can change what happened in the past. We just shouldn't repeat the awful things that happened. We can't forget them, but we should try to see all sides and then forget and go forward. Very hard, but most try for a calmer world if possible.

Gerry Adams has refused to confirm if he will apologise to Prince Charles over the death of Lord Mountbatten when he meets the royal later today.

The Sinn Fein President said that "one couldn't help but be regretful about the loss particularly when there are children involved."

Lord Louis Mountbatten was the great-uncle of Prince Charles and was killed by an IRA bomb in Classiebawn Castle in Mullaghmore, Country Sligo, his 14-year-old grandson Nicholas Knatchbull and Paul Maxwell, a 15-year-old crew member were also killed.
More: Adams 'regret at loss of life' but no apology for Prince Charles - ITV News

We ask a very great deal of the Royal Family when we expect them to mask their feelings, and be civil to such despicable persons..in the cause of 'the greater good'.

Videos:
The Prince of Wales has begun a poignant trip to Ireland with a historic handshake with Gerry Adams, one of the most prominent and controversial republican figures of the last 50 years. The two men smiled at each other as they shook hands for several seconds and exchanged words in a packed hall as the prince toured the National University of Ireland Galway in the first engagement of his packed agenda-

Home - ITNSource News

The Prince of Wales has toured Ireland's Marine Institute in west Galway with the Irish premier, Taoiseach Enda Kenny. Ireland's national agency responsible for marine research, technology, development and innovation is on a scenic stretch of coastline at Rinville, near Oranmore. During his visit Charles was briefed on the work of the institute. He was also shown some of the equipment it uses for marine conservation-
Home - ITNSource News

Camilla Duchess of Cornwall today visited Claddagh National School and Druid Theatre in Galway as part of her and Prince Charles’s visit to Ireland-
Home - ITNSource News

The Duchess of Cornwall attended a food and drink celebration at the House Hotel in Galway this afternoon including taking a drink of a cocktail especially made in her honour-
http://news.itnsource.com/?SearchTerm=CAMILLA CELEBRATES FOOD AND DRINK AT HOUSE HOTEL

Last edited:
We ask a very great deal of the Royal Family when we expect them to mask their feelings, and be civil to such despicable persons..in the cause of 'the greater good'.

When there is a time of troubles that lead to violence and loss of life no matter where in the world, it is never one sided and I have to commend both Gerry Adams and Prince Charles for coming together in the name of peace. I don't believe that Charles' feelings seemed at all "masked" and in no way do I consider Gerry Adams to be despicable. Past acts that occurred were certainly despicable and inhumane and both sides felt them but coming together for "the greater good" not only encourages peace but also healing.

Very monumental occasion I think.

Thank you for sharing the link Cepe. Camilla looks very nice in that shade of aqua/green with an appropriate brooch. The young soloist at the Claddagh school did very well during her performance.

When there is a time of troubles that lead to violence and loss of life no matter where in the world, it is never one sided and I have to commend both Gerry Adams and Prince Charles for coming together in the name of peace. I don't believe that Charles' feelings seemed at all "masked" and in no way do I consider Gerry Adams to be despicable. Past acts that occurred were certainly despicable and inhumane and both sides felt them but coming together for "the greater good" not only encourages peace but also healing.

Very monumental occasion I think.

I agree. As the UK's future HoS Charles knows that these types of meetings are part of his role and do play a part in healing from the troubles of the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Video:
Prince Charles has visited the spectacular limestone landscape of the Burren in County Clare where he met members of the local farming community-

Home - ITNSource News

Back
Top Bottom