Charles and Camilla: Visit to Northern Ireland & Ireland - May 9-12, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rudolph

Majesty
City
Country
Canada
Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to Ireland, May 9 - 12th, 2017

The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit Northern Ireland and Ireland from 9th to 12th May. Their Royal Highnesses arrive in County Antrim on Tuesday 9th May, before moving to Dublin on Wednesday 10th to undertake a joint official visit.

The visit to Ireland is at the request of the British Government and follows the visits the couple made to the country in 2015 and 2016. As on those occasions, this visit will showcase the strength and vitality of the connections between the United Kingdom and Ireland; and the friendship and partnership that has defined our relationship over recent years. The Prince and Duchess's programme will allow them to honour those men and women whose sacrifice in times of conflict shaped our two countries' shared history; and to celebrate all that we do together to cement peace and secure a prosperous future.

In Northern Ireland, Their Royal Highnesses will undertake a range of engagements, including hosting a musical evening at Hillsborough Castle. The royal couple will also officially open a memorial garden to members of the Police Service Northern Ireland who lost their lives in the service of the people of Northern Ireland.

On arrival in Dublin, the Prince and Duchess will be received by President Higgins and Sabina Higgins at the president's residence, Áras an Uachtaráin. Other highlights of Their Royal Highnesses' third official visit to Ireland will include an engagement at Kilkenny Castle, where they will see some traditional music and watch a hurling demonstration by the Gaelic Athletic Association; His Royal Highness will tour the United Nations Training School Ireland at the Curragh Camp; Her Royal Highness will visit the Irish National Stud and the Prince and Duchess will attend ceremonies at Glasnevin Cemetery in Dublin to commemorate those who lost their lives in the First World War and during the Easter Rising.

Whilst in Dublin, His Royal Highness will also meet the Taoiseach, Enda Kenny, and Their Royal Highnesses will conclude their visit by attending a reception at the British Ambassador's residence.
https://www.facebook.com/majestymagazine/posts/1580276262005038

Last edited:
The Prince and Duchess in Northern Ireland,later they will cross the border and Royals and will be guests of honour at a dinner hosted by President Higgins and his wife Sabina at Áras an Uachtaráin in Dublin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYT5p3ZgTsg

Last edited:
Court Circular 9th May:
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this afternoon visited Seamus Heaney HomePlace, Bellaghy, Magherafelt, and were received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of County Londonderry (Mr. Denis Desmond).

Their Royal Highnesses afterwards visited the North West Cancer Centre, Altnagelvin Area Hospital, Londonderry, and were received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of the County Borough of Londonderry (Dr. Angela Garvey).

The Prince of Wales later met board members and staff of Historic Royal Palaces at Hillsborough Castle.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this evening attended a Concert at Hillsborough Castle.

Court Circular 10th May:
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this morning attended the official opening of the Police Service Northern Ireland Memorial Garden, Knock Road, Belfast, and were received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of the County Borough of Belfast (Ms. Fionnuala Jay-O'Boyle).

Their Royal Highnesses later visited the Market Square, Dromore, and were received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of County Down (Mr. David Lindsay).

The Duchess of Cornwall afterwards opened Dromore Central Primary School, Mossvale Road, Dromore.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this afternoon arrived in Dublin and were received by the Irish Ambassador to the United Kingdom (Mr. Daniel Mulhall) and Her Majesty's Ambassador to Ireland (His Excellency Mr. Robin Barnett).

Their Royal Highnesses afterwards called upon The President of Ireland and Mrs. Higgins at Aras an Uachtarain, Dublin.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall subsequently attended a Reception for Youth given by The President and Mrs. Higgins at Aras an Uachtarain.

Their Royal Highnesses were entertained to Dinner this evening at Aras an Uachtarain by The President of Ireland and Mrs. Higgins.

Mr. Scott Furssedonn-Wood, Mrs. Sophia Densham and Mrs.Laura Sullivan are in attendance.

Really behind, just catching up on this trip. Thanks for all photos and videos.

Charles and Camilla really do make such a great team. They are so natural and seem to enjoy these and each other.

Court Circular 11th May:
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this morning attended a Reception at Kilkenny Castle, County Kilkenny, Ireland.

His Royal Highness afterwards met Heritage Council and local community representatives at Kilkenny Castle.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this afternoon visited the Cartoon Saloon, Kilkenny.

Their Royal Highnesses afterwards visited Island Mill, Thomastown, County Kilkenny.

The Prince of Wales later visited the United Nations Training School Ireland, Curragh, County Kildare.

His Royal Highness this evening viewed the Royal Parks exhibition at Farmleigh House, Dublin.

The Duchess of Cornwall this afternoon visited the Irish National Stud, Brallistown Little, Tully, County Kildare.

This has been another really lovely visit by Charles and Camilla. They do really seem to love the visits to Ireland.

Charles successfully hitting the sliotar with the hurl after a bit of earlier direction from "King" Henry Sheffin is a classic.

Also, Camilla surprised by a bystander on a walkabout loving her Claddagh brooch.

Looking forward to having them back again! :)

I wonder how successful a tour is when there is virtually no coverage of said tour. The British media hardly run any stories on it at all - look at this site. This is the 20th entry for a four day tour.

That says it all really - no interest at all - even amongst royal watchers. Sad but true - the heir to the British throne doesn't rate any coverage in the media or on royal discussion boards.

Unfortunately for the press, Charles and Camilla are doing such a great job that there's nothing to complain about them. They don't put a foot wrong. Camilla isn't gin soaked nor is she upstaging Charles. This is a couple that is actually happy to be with each other and are pictured smiling and laughing at each other and thoroughly enjoying themselves. Camilla is a succerss with the people and is warm and down to earth. Charles is the most relaxed, I think, I've ever seen him.

I loved the pictures and I do have to admit that each time I see President Higgins, I just want to hug the guy to death. He's so cute!

The Royals do mini tours all the time. For the middle generation for the most part none of them make the news unless they are seriously long flight and representing the Queen.

Osipi;I loved the pictures and I do have to admit that each time I see President Higgins said:
Former collage (Galway) lecturer, well loved there also! :)

There is a great affinity between these two Islands, not least because many of us have family members on both sides.

"

The Royals do mini tours all the time. For the middle generation for the most part none of them make the news unless they are seriously long flight and representing the Queen.

This visit was not just a "mini-tour", but rather part of the so-called "Brexit charm offense", which includes visits of senior British royals to several EU countries. However, as mentioned by other posters, Charles and Camilla are not as mediatic as William and Kate.

I wonder how successful a tour is when there is virtually no coverage of said tour. The British media hardly run any stories on it at all - look at this site. This is the 20th entry for a four day tour.

That says it all really - no interest at all - even amongst royal watchers. Sad but true - the heir to the British throne doesn't rate any coverage in the media or on royal discussion boards.

Charles and Camilla, like Anne, Edward and Sophie, Andrew, the Queen and Prince Philip (and Richard, Birgitte, Alexandra and Edward Kent) just get on with it. They perform their duties regularly and without fanfare. They are not young and do not Court the media. It's unfortunate but, in this day and age, celebrity and style count over substance. That does not change the impact their visits have on those whom they meet or those charities and organisations they support.

I would also venture that it does not lessen the impact a visit may have on government. While there may not have been much press coverage of Charles and Camilla's visit to Ireland, there would have plenty of behind the scenes activity between the British and Irish governments. Yearly visits of the heir to the throne to Britain's nearest neighbour signify that Britain wants to strengthen its relationship with Ireland.

Growing up in the UK during the 1970's and 80's I remember bomb threats, I remember the tensions and hatred. That I can now see the Prince of Wales sharing a joke with Gerry Adams speaks volumes to me. Not everything can be measured by newspaper coverage.

Sadly media coverage is the most important as that means people outside the government see what is happening. PR is the most important thing that royals have and without media coverage then the PR isn't there.

Most people don't read the CC and so don't realise what other royals do besides William, Kate and Harry. I keep reading that Anne is the hardest working royal - as she was in the 1990s and early-mid 2000s but for most of the last decade Charles has been but due to lack of coverage that fact hasn't reached the general population.

The fact that most of the media didn't see it as worthwhile to cover the tour extensively shows how little importance they - and the government - really put on this tour. Had the government really thought it was important they would have asked the press to ensure that there was decent coverage (they can't insist but they can ask).

I remember the coverage of the tour of Italy and Austria earlier this year - that gained a lot more coverage - which speaks volumes for how important this tour actually was in the overall scheme of things. It was less important to the media that the 80th birthday celebrations in Norway and Kate's half-day visit to Luxembourg - which had more articles for that then Charles and Camilla had for a four day tour.

Media cares nothing about political importance or value :ermm:

They care about selling papers and clicks online. Unfortunately royals in tiaras at a gala in Norway or Kate making an appearance draws more attention.

There seems to be decent coverage of the trip. Just you have to look for it. Unfortunately unless Charles got drunk and caused a scandal, it's not going to be front page news.

Back
Top Bottom