Charles and Camilla: Visit to Japan, Brunei & Indonesia - October 27-November 4, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

milla Ca

Royal Highness
City
N/A
Country
Germany
Charles and Camilla: Visit to Japan, Brunei & Indonesia - October 27-November 4, 2008

Charles and Camilla to visit Japan
October 7

Prince Charles and Camilla will visit Japan later this month, the Japanese foreign ministry said on Tuesday, in what will be the first visit here in nearly two decades by the heir to the throne.

AFP: Charles and Camilla to visit Japan

The British Government have asked The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall to undertake visits to Japan and Brunei Darussalam. Their Royal Highnesses will do so from Monday 27th October to Saturday 1st November 2008. At the Government’s request, The Prince of Wales will subsequently visit the Republic of Indonesia until Wednesday 5th November 2008.

The Prince of Wales - The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall to go on a tour of East Asia

This should be an interesting trip. I hope enough time has been left in the schedule to allow C&C to get over the jet lag. From previous trips to Tokyo I do remember spending the first few days in a haze.

Prince Charles and Camilla press ahead with Far East tour despite credit crisis
October 7

The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall are to embark on an 10-day tour of the Far East despite concerns over the estimated £500,000 cost during the global credit crisis.

The Duchess of Cornwall controversially will withdraw before the final leg of the trip to Indonesia because of the heat and humidity.

Prince Charles and Camilla press ahead with Far East tour despite credit crisis - Telegraph

The newspaper I read said she considered it too arduous. They even went so far as to describe her as workshy.
I wonder if she is well?

I am looking forward to seeing the Japanese Imperial family.

The newspaper I read said she considered it too arduous. They even went so far as to describe her as workshy.
I wonder if she is well?

The "Camilla is lazy" argument seems to be one that's batted about quite a bit. But if the source is citing figures like the Telegraph, which notes that she did about half as many engagements as the Queen, they're also not taking into account that she performed a reduced number of engagements last year because she had a hysterectomy and was recovering for a few months. It'd be like criticizing Sophie for doing so few engagements this year, when we all know she was on maternity leave. I think she's fine now, and I think we'll see her doing more and more engagements as the Queen continues to cut back and hand over the reins more to Charles on some things.

On topic, I'm excited to see what Camilla wears on this trip. Will there be any state banquets? If so, I wonder what sparkly things will show up from the royal vaults...

Camilla has some beautiful evening wear, but I hope that she doesn't show too much cleavage!:)

On topic, I'm excited to see what Camilla wears on this trip. Will there be any state banquets? If so, I wonder what sparkly things will show up from the royal vaults...

I wonder if she is well?

I don´t think it has something to do with her health, but fact is that she´s 61 and will have some very busy days at Japan and Brunei, not to talk about jet lag ect.
I believe it´s the simple truth what Clarence House told today:

´A spokesman said: "She is leaving two thirds of the way through. It [Indonesia] is an arduous environment, 35 degrees c and 90 per cent humidity, and that is one of the considerations. We have always said that the Duchess will accompany the Prince on most of his tours but not on all of them."
When they return to Britain they will go to France for a Remembrance Day event and there will be a week of activities to mark the 60th birthday of the Prince of Wales on Nov 14.
"It's going to be a hectic programme. The Duchess needs a bit of time to catch her breath," said a royal source.´

( from the article in the Daily Telegraph)

So IMO only much fuss from the media...:ermm:

The Duchess of Cornwall came under fire today after it emerged that she was pulling out of her husband's landmark tour to East Asia half-way through because it was 'too hot'.
Camilla to cut short royal tour of Asia with Prince Charles after complaining it's 'too hot' | Mail Online

I'm looking forward to that as well. Perhaps we'll even get a chance to see Masako.:flowers:
If we are really, really lucky, we shall see Crown Princess Masako. Let us hope that the IHA will allow her to perform this engagement alongside the Imperial family.

I wonder if she is well?
Would this be the article?

Camilla will cut short royal tour with Charles | News

If it is, you have to remember this is the same rag as the Mail and follows the same agenda. I can fully relate to Camillas' reluctance to 'perform' in such heat and humidity.:flowers:

My, my, my --- too hot!!! Too arduous!
Pleeeeeeease!
Camilla is traveling by private planes, she is staying in posh accommodations, she is carted around in air-conditioned automobiles - the excuses are ludicrous!
Come on Camilla, get with the program. I also have had a hystrectomy. After 6 months, I felt terrific. Now I am not saying that I recovered like Camilla should, but she is not a fragile piece of china.
Of course, she is not going to miss the Brunei part of the trip because that is where she will be receiving the "goodies" - usually nice pieces of jewelry.
Bless the Queen and Prince Phillip - they puit their shoulders to the grindstone and work hard - even at their advanced ages.
If Diana had pulled the same stunts which Camilla is foisting off on the British taxpayers, then she would have received quite a rebute - not only from the public and press, but also Buckingham Palace and Prince Charles.
Camilla doesn't impress me and is an embarassment to the Crown.

... [snipped]
Of course, she is not going to miss the Brunei part of the trip because that is where she will be receiving the "goodies" - usually nice pieces of jewelry.
... [snipped]
It is unknown whether or not Duchess of Cornwall will get any special presents from Sultan of Brunei or Queen Saleha. I think that your assumptions may be true because Asian monarchs are known for giving really valuable presents to their important guests. It is the matter of tradition. I am not sure whether the British Royal family does the same though.
Pictured: Naked British tourist arrested after taking a dip in Tokyo's sacred Imperial Palace moat | Mail Online
A good prelude to the upcoming visit...
:rolleyes:

Would this be the article?

Camilla will cut short royal tour with Charles | News

If it is, you have to remember this is the same rag as the Mail and follows the same agenda. I can fully relate to Camillas' reluctance to 'perform' in such heat and humidity.:flowers:

Me, too. And we have no idea if it is not medical reasons why she doesn't want to do endless rounds of representation in such a climate. I've been to these parts of the world once and decided that I wouldn't go there again because of the climate. And I was only 35 back then. :flowers:

If Diana had pulled the same stunts which Camilla is foisting off on the British taxpayers, then she would have received quite a rebute - not only from the public and press, but also Buckingham Palace and Prince Charles.

´If Diana had´...that´s the comparison i´m waiting for....:bang:...always again...:bang:

Hm, i agree with most sets of arguemnts on this one, which must make me crazy.
Seriously though i do think that its unfortunate that Camilla will not be carrying out the whole trip because it does give the impression of her skiving. And as several articles i read pointed out she does still horse ride and walk alot so she can't be in such bad health or be that delicate.
However i think the comparisons with Diana are totally unnecessary and i think that its at least a good thing that Charles is paying for the extra flights home himself.
Above all i just feel sorry that Camilla doesn't get better advice from staff, who could have told her this might not look good. Will be nice to see the BRF in that part of the world though.

Camilla has some beautiful evening wear, but I hope that she doesn't show too much cleavage!:)

I second that! I'm much more concerned about the royal bling than the royal bosom. :lol:

My, my, my --- too hot!!! Too arduous!
Pleeeeeeease!
Yes, too hot and humid. I love the architecture and the people in these countries but always felt exhausted because I am not used to the heat, that is why I choose to holiday in cooler climes and I don't have to do too much meet and greet, constantly smiling and trying to look smart. Some people love these hot countries but just as many probably don't.
I also have had a hystrectomy. After 6 months, I felt terrific.
Good for you, I have only had Caesarian's and recovered very quickly, but as you will have been told, recovery can differ between patients, you were clearly one of the lucky ones.
Diana left the RF at a comparatively young age, so we don't know how she would have performed at 61, do we? :whistling: For all we know, Camilla may be suffering the effects of years of smoking, which seriously reduces your tolerance to high heat and humidity, she also has a birthday party to finish organising!:D
BBC NEWS | UK | Prince to press ahead with tour

Camilla will, I am sure do us, the British public proud.

Me, too. And we have no idea if it is not medical reasons why she doesn't want to do endless rounds of representation in such a climate. I've been to these parts of the world once and decided that I wouldn't go there again because of the climate. And I was only 35 back then. :flowers:
Exactly, and as you get older it gets worse. :flowers:

´If Diana had´...that´s the comparison i´m waiting for....:bang:...always again...:bang:

Ok, let's substitute ....

Like Charles, heir to the throne: Willem Alexander, Haakon. Felipe, Frederik

Like Camilla, the wife: Maxima, Mette-Merit, Letizia, Mary

Granted, none of the above women are Camilla's age, but Maxima, Letizia and Mary have all given birth in the last year or so --- all have young children, many responsibilities
If one of them had opted out of going to Indonesia with the excuses which Camilla is giving, don't you think that there would an uproar in their respective countries?
Camilla sure trots down to the Caribbean whenever she can and I don't think of that area of the world as being a cold climate.

Camilla sure trots down to the Caribbean whenever she can and I don't think of that area of the world as being a cold climate.
Different type of heat and humidity, no having to 'dress up', no traveling here there and everywhere, just a nice restful time, with the opportunity to lay down when the H&H gets to you!:whistling:

Since Camilla must have known what sort of response this decision would elicit from the Daily Mail and others who think she's a basic waste of space, there must have been a reason for it. I doubt their handlers would have let her throw that part of the trip just because she didn't fancy going.

BUT how do we know this is true? That she is leaving early because of the heat. The London Evening Standard was the same 'paper' that reported that Camilla vacationed with her ex only to later print a small retraction that it was all untrue. (this was after APB sued the paper). This article was picked up by many other news outlets and generated a lot of discussion. I think everyone needs to wait until the actual trip.Maybe a more important question -is this really a diplomatically important trip. Important enough to justify the cost at this time.

I am older than Camillia and I hate heat, too, but if I have to be somewhere and it is hot, I go. Camilla does what she wants. That's seems to be good enough, so that is okay. Yes, if it were Diana, she would be "petulant, uncooperative, etc." She is a non-negotiable part of Charles' life, so she does what she wants.

It is unknown whether or not Duchess of Cornwall will get any special presents from Sultan of Brunei or Queen Saleha...I am not sure whether the British Royal family does the same though.
The Sultan of Brunei and the Prince of Wales are friends of long-standing and any gift of jewellery (if there is one) will be a personal gesture on behalf of the Sultan.
Queen Elizabeth generally offers signed and framed photographs as official (as opposed to personal) gifts.

Duchess of Cornwall will cut short ‘arduous’ royal tour - Times Online

It's not very sensitive to give hot weather or a full diary as an excuse - if there is another health related background they should be honest about it -, especially not when there are inlaws who keep on showing an iron attitude despite being well in their 80ies.

Camilla should get her act together, this won't help her reputation at all. Yes, the climate is not nice and a 62 year might feel the strain but it is part of her job. What kind of message is she sending out in times like these where people are losing their jobs? C & C are being pampered during this trip as much as possible anyway - on other people's expenses - and then go and say, no sorry it's too hot, I'll cut it short?

If C & C want to survive as monarchs they will have to work on their attitude and media relations big time - currently they don't have the right strategy to convince people of their capabilities, I'd say.

I have to admit, even though I like the Duchess very much, that I think this rather lax. It doesn't look good. Infact it looks rather negligent and precious, imo.

The courts excuses as to why, seem particularly flimsy much of the time...whether true or not they know any excuse can be given and nothing has to be proved, publically.

especially not when there are inlaws who keep on showing an iron attitude despite being well in their 80ies.

So so true!

I have to admit, even though I like the Duchess very much, that I think this rather lax. It doesn't look good. Infact it looks rather negligent and precious, imo.

Didn't prince Henrik of Denmark leave his queen alone on a recent trip to Asia and returned home prematurely because of his health? I recall that nobody called him workshy but people just showed compassion. Why is it that some publications are supported when claiming that she is lazy even though CH gives as explanation that the climate is too hard on her? Her surgery of last year is usually followed by hormone problems which can be controlled most of the time but can be heavy on a lady her age in a hot and humid climate. Plus problems with the cardiovascular system are observed in many cases after such a surgery which would also make travelling to such a climate more problematic as need be. Especially as the prince wants to address muslim topics and I doubt the men he is going to meet care much if presented with his lady wife or not.

totaly agree, always the tradition comparison betwen the duchess and diana! i think there is no way to any comparison , diana was a yong women , camilla is 61 !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom