Charles and Camilla: Visit to Australia (2018 Comm. Games) and Vanuatu - April 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't disagree if that's what the person wants but if someone wants to continue at the same rate, if their job interests them and if they are able, physically, to do the job, then I disagree with there being an arbitrary retirement age.

Prince Charles is often described as a workaholic. He clearly has a wish to be king and appears physically capable of doing the job. The job of monarch is simply to represent the country, it's not a case of "reigning" in the way, say Henry VIII or Elizabeth I did. As long as Charles is up to it, I don't see a need for him (or William when his time comes) to be bypassed or step down simply because of their age or because people would rather see photographs of a young(er) couple than an old(er) one.

Although slightly off-topic: I am not advocating for Charles to be bypassed. The problem lies with Elizabeth. Charles should have been king for quite some time now, so he could hand over his duties after reigning for an acceptable duration before William is of retirement age. Elizabeth has significantly reduced her royal activities, so isn't up to the job as much as she used to be. I understand that she would go against her concience in abdicating, but that's what is creating the (perceived) problem. The person him/herself is not always the best judge of whether he/she should stay in a position...

Although slightly off-topic: I am not advocating for Charles to be bypassed. The problem lies with Elizabeth. Charles should have been king for quite some time now, so he could hand over his duties after reigning for an acceptable duration before William is of retirement age. Elizabeth has significantly reduced her royal activities, so isn't up to the job as much as she used to be. I understand that she would go against her concience in abdicating, but that's what is creating the (perceived) problem. The person him/herself is not always the best judge of whether he/she should stay in a position...

And therein lies the problem. The job of the monarch, as perceived by the BRF and a most other monarchies) is for life. It is not a popularity contest, nor is it one that is designed to allow successive reigns to be of similar length. Once monarch, you remain so till you live. That is what gives it the continuity that allows it to endure through good times and bad.

The contrary argument is that you have a situation where successive monarchs could be quite old when they ascend the throne, and as some might argue, past their prime. So"perceived problem" or not, this is just the way it is.

Although slightly off-topic: I am not advocating for Charles to be bypassed. The problem lies with Elizabeth. Charles should have been king for quite some time now,

But it is not her fault The problem is that Elizabeth became mother at a very young age, if Caharles had been born when she was then years older then he would become 60 thiy year and not 70. And also that people become much older then they did in earlier generatiins specially in the british RF.

Once monarch, you remain so till you Die.

Unique amongst Monarchs the British Sovereign as an 'Anointed' King/Queen. Consequently it is not a Crown to be put off or on, as if it were a Hat...

And therein lies the problem. The job of the monarch, as perceived by the BRF and a most other monarchies) is for life. It is not a popularity contest, nor is it one that is designed to allow successive reigns to be of similar length. Once monarch, you remain so till you live. That is what gives it the continuity that allows it to endure through good times and bad.

The contrary argument is that you have a situation where successive monarchs could be quite old when they ascend the throne, and as some might argue, past their prime. So"perceived problem" or not, this is just the way it is.

As you rightly say, it is all about perception. Many monarchies are following the Dutch example that abdication is an acceptable and sometimes preferred option compared to staying on the throne. And continuity is not suffering from it, you might even say that in some countries the continuity of tye monarchy is more secure thakks to abdication.

There wouldn't have been any good reason to keep Juliana as queen when she was suffering from dementia and didn't recognize anyone or rember anything. appointing a regent in such cases is not the way I would like to solve something like that as that would be clinging to a title while not fulfilling the duties that come with it while also withholding the title to the heir who is fulfilling those duties.

Again, I am convinced that Elizabeth cannot in good concious step down but I don't think William is of the same opinion that God calls him to be king for life. And if it is acceptable for the emperor and (although hesitantly) the Japanese people, I am sure the British will manage if it comes to that.

Last edited:
Picture with the governor of Queensland

The dog is Gavel, the vice-regal dog. He was a police dog unit drop out, who had been fostered by the governor, so he adopted him. He now is an official member of the governor's household. He participates in a number of official engagements, including greeting Charles and Camilla. :cool:

Just read up on Gavel the Vice-Regal Dog. He apparently got ‘’fired’’ as a police dog because he was too friendly:ROFLMAO::
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/police-dog-fired-reason-australia_us_59393550e4b0c5a35c9c5bf7
Meet Gavel, the almost-police dog | Explore | Awesome Activities & Fun Facts | CBC Kids
Police dog fired for being too friendly gets new job | abc13.com

And some more favorite photos
Making rum:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DaFgXZ8VMAIYK39?format=jpg
Charles visiting Lady Elliot Island:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DaGNtM9U8AAPcAK?format=jpg

Here it is, from the ‘’horse’s’’ mouth:

The Prince of Wales says he is delighted there is a "growing awareness of the urgent need to get away from ‘throwaway society’," when it comes to fashion sustainability, in an interview with the Australian Financial Review.

“I have always believed in trying to keep as many of my clothes and shoes going for as long as possible (some go back to 1971 and one jacket to 1969!) – through patches and repairs – and in this way I tend to be in fashion once every 25 years...” HRH said.

Obviously a sentiment shared by his sister:ROFLMAO:
And think about it, that jacket is 49 years old!

Last edited:
The Prince of Wales says he is delighted there is a "growing awareness of the urgent need to get away from ‘throwaway society’," when it comes to fashion sustainability, in an interview with the Australian Financial Review.

“I have always believed in trying to keep as many of my clothes and shoes going for as long as possible (some go back to 1971 and one jacket to 1969!) – through patches and repairs – and in this way I tend to be in fashion once every 25 years...” HRH said.

Absolutely the very best comment Prince Charles has ever made IMO, just such a delightful comment about fashion....I so believe in keeping good clothes forever and some in my closet are half my age.....same with shoes. Being thrifty saves money I think. He looks so happy this time, not tired and worn out yet......he is waiting to get on that plane before he collapses...

Here's a video of HRH The Prince of Wales visiting an Australian rum distillery in Queensland.

Full list of engagements

Court Circular 4th April: The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this morning arrived at Old Government House, Brisbane, and were received by the Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia (General the Hon. Sir Peter Cosgrove) and the Governor of Queensland (the Hon. Paul De Jersey).

Their Royal Highnesses afterwards visited Lady Cilento Children's Hospital, Stanley Street, Brisbane.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this afternoon received the Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia and Lady Cosgrove at the Sheraton Grand Mirage, Gold Coast, Queensland.

Their Royal Highnesses this evening attended a Reception to mark the opening of the Commonwealth Games given by the Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia at the Sheraton Grand Mirage.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall later visited Carrara Stadium and subsequently attended a Gold Coast Commonwealth Games Welcome Reception at Carrara Stadium.

The Prince of Wales, on behalf of The Queen, and The Duchess of Cornwall viewed the Opening Ceremony and afterwards His Royal Highness opened the XXI Commonwealth Games.

Mr. Scott Furssedonn-Wood, Mr. Julian Payne, Miss Laura Sullivan, Wing Commander Brett Williams and Mrs. Amanda MacManus are in attendance.

Court Circular 5th April:
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall this morning visited the Athletes Village, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia.

His Royal Highness this afternoon received the Hon. Malcolm Turnbull MP (Prime Minister of the Commonwealth of Australia) at the Athletes Village.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall afterwards visited Commonwealth House, Broadbeach.

His Royal Highness later received the Hon. William Shorten MP (Leader of the Opposition) at the Sheraton Grand Mirage, Gold Coast.

The Prince of Wales subsequently received Her Excellency the Rt. Hon. Dame Patricia Reddy (Governor-General of New Zealand).

His Royal Highness afterwards attended XXI Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast.

The Duchess of Cornwall this afternoon held a Meeting with Masterchef Australia at Government House, Brisbane.

Her Royal Highness later attended XXI Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast.

Court Circular 6th April:
The Prince of Wales this morning visited the Bundaberg Rum Distillery, Hills Street, Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia, and afterwards joined a Community Celebration in Bundaberg.

His Royal Highness, President, The Prince’s Trust Group, this afternoon attended a Great Barrier Reef Meeting at Lady Elliot Island.

The Prince of Wales this evening attended a Reception at Government House, Brisbane, given by the Governor of Queensland and Mrs De Jersey.

The Duchess of Cornwall this morning visited Orange Sky Australia, OzHarvest and Mobile Healthcare at King George Square, Brisbane.

Her Royal Highness, President, the Southbank Centre’s Women of the World Festival, later attended a Reception at the Brisbane Powerhouse given by Women of the World.

The Duchess of Cornwall this afternoon departed Brisbane International Airport for the United Kingdom.

Those photos are great, thanks.
Clearly people appreciated the visit to Vanuatu and Cairns. I am impressed by Princes Charles' opinions about mother nature and the planet.
The big plus of Charles having had such a long period as Prince of Wales is that his work for the environment, sustainability and conservation is substantial. He has made a practical impact. Charles has indepth understanding that only comes with the long term study of something in a committed and passionate way.
And his old suits have him dressed very smartly.

The Prince of Wales is in Cairns and has attended a church service at the St John the Evangelist Anglican Church and then met parishioners accompanied by Bishop Ray & Reverend Rod.

Next HRH is visiting HMAS Cairns to present an award called The Gloucester Cup and meet defence personnel. HMAS Cairns is an active naval base that provides support to home ported ships, support craft and visiting Fleet units.

Later today, The Prince of Wales visited the @RoyalFlyingDoc At its Cairns Base to celebrate its 90th anniversary. HRH unveiled the new name for one of its planes.

Next, The Prince of Wales visited the World Heritage Listed Daintree Rainforest and joined roundtable discussions on sustainable forestry.

Finally tonight, The Prince Of Wales attended a basketball heat as part of the Commonwealth Games. His Royal Highness watched Team New Zealand take the win against Team India, and later met players on the court.

That is interesting as it was Camilla that went to Masterchef. That was one of her engagements while here last week according to the CC but on that day Charles wasn't with her ...

If I’ve understood everything correctly, Camilla held a meeting with Masterchef Australia at Government House, Brisbane on Thursday and on Monday, Masterchef contestants catered a reception for Flying Doctor that Charles attended.

Yes Princess Larisa, that's my understanding - and thank you Iluvbertie, I didn't see where Camilla had visited. I wonder if footage of her will turn up on the program.

I saw where Camilla's son Tom was involved in a MasterChef series, ("MasterChef Professionals"), and both Charles and Camilla visited a series, ("MasterChef Junior"), so there seems to be quite a connection going on.

And I'm suprised, but the Australian version is apparently held in high regard in quite few places around the world, even though those countries have their own local version - so more than just the local audience will end up seeing Charles.

I saw where Camilla's son Tom was involved in a MasterChef series, ("MasterChef Professionals"), and both Charles and Camilla visited a series, ("MasterChef Junior"), so there seems to be quite a connection going on.

Maybe they’re fans of the show and watch it back home:chef:?

Court Circular 7th April:
The Prince of Wales today carried out engagements in Port Vila, Vanuatu, and was received by the British High Commissioner to Solomon Islands, the Republic of Vanuatu and the Republic of Nauru (His Excellency Mr. David Ward) and the Hon. Alfred Maoh (Acting Minister of Foreign Affairs, International Co-operation and External Trade, Vanuatu).

His Royal Highness this afternoon called upon The President of the Republic of Vanuatu and Mrs. Estelle Tallis at the State House, Vanuatu.

The Prince of Wales afterwards visited Haos Blong Handikraf.

His Royal Highness later visited Port Vila Central Hospital.

The Prince of Wales subsequently visited the Chiefs' Nakamal.

The Duchess of Cornwall this morning arrived at Heathrow Airport, London, from Australia.
Mrs. Amanda MacManus was in attendance.

Court Circular 8th April:
The Prince of Wales this morning attended a Service at St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church, Cairns, Queensland, Australia.

His Royal Highness afterwards visited HMAS CAIRNS.

The Prince of Wales, Patron, the Flying Doctor Service of Australia, Friends in the United Kingdom, this afternoon visited the Royal Flying Doctor Service Cairns Base.

His Royal Highness later attended a Forestry Meeting at Mossman Gorge.

The Prince of Wales this evening attended the XXI Commonwealth Games at Cairns Convention Centre.

Court Circular 9th April:
The Prince of Wales this morning met Indigenous Elders and Rangers at Mount Nhulun, Northern Territory, Australia.

His Royal Highness this afternoon visited the Buku-Larrnggay Mulka Centre, Yirrkala.

The Prince of Wales, Patron, the Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia, Friends in the United Kingdom, this evening attended a Reception given by the Hon. Michael Gunner (Chief Minister of the Northern Territory) at the Royal Flying Doctor Service, Darwin Tourist Facility, Stokes Hill Wharf, Darwin.

Court Circular 10th April:
The Prince of Wales today carried out the following engagements in Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia.

His Royal Highness this morning laid a wreath at the Cenotaph.

The Prince of Wales later visited North-West Mobile Force, Larrakeyah Barracks.

His Royal Highness this afternoon visited the National Critical Care and Trauma Response Centre.

The Prince of Wales later attended a Reception at Government House.

His Royal Highness this evening departed from Royal Australian Air Force Base Darwin for the United Kingdom.

Court Circular 11th April:
The Prince of Wales this morning arrived at Heathrow Airport, London, from Australia.
Mr. Scott Furssedonn-Wood, Mr. Julian Payne and Miss Laura Sullivan were in attendance.

Last edited:
Unable to post the link, but tonight's episode of "MasterChef Australia" has Charles being served up green ants.

"Daily Mail" has an article and video clip.

Yum, yum!

Thanks for that Princess Larisa.

Hope they get a lot of viewers tuning in.

Green ants have had a bit of publicity here in Australia - always seem to be served up to the British celebrities on the UK version of "I'm a Celebrity - Get Me Out of Here" when they come out to the Queensland "jungle".

When Charles and Camilla were here in April Camilla met with the Masterchef people as an official engagement.

Later on Charles was in the NT and it was reported then that the Masterchef people had been entrusted with providing the food for the reception.

Tonight we will see the production of that food.

I have seen a few negative comments on the Masterchef Facebook page about Charles being involved at all but it will be interesting.

I believe that the nine remaining contestants are going to be divided into three teams and compete to produce the best food for the reception with the botton two teams going into the elimination tomorrow night and one more will go home. That is my interpretation of the description of have seen of Thursday night's show here. I am therefore wondering whether Charles will have a vote on which is the best or worst set of foods. The trailer at the end of last night's show shows Charles meeting with the remaining contestants - we have seen him with the judges for some time.

When Charles and Camilla were here in April Camilla met with the Masterchef people as an official engagement.

Later on Charles was in the NT and it was reported then that the Masterchef people had been entrusted with providing the food for the reception.

Tonight we will see the production of that food.

I have seen a few negative comments on the Masterchef Facebook page about Charles being involved at all but it will be interesting.

I believe that the nine remaining contestants are going to be divided into three teams and compete to produce the best food for the reception with the botton two teams going into the elimination tomorrow night and one more will go home. That is my interpretation of the description of have seen of Thursday night's show here. I am therefore wondering whether Charles will have a vote on which is the best or worst set of foods. The trailer at the end of last night's show shows Charles meeting with the remaining contestants - we have seen him with the judges for some time.

Thanks Iluvbertie.

I'm still not able to post links, but "Daily Mail" now has some video from last night's broadcast.

Camilla talked about Charles' liking cheese and eggs, fresh food, and her six must haves in the kitchen - olive oil, ketchup for the grandchildren.

Charles spoke of "my darling wife" and the contestant's had a real thrill in talking with him.

(The whole episode may turn up on the internet - if not already.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom