Charles & Camilla: Tour of Australia, New Zealand & Papua New Guinea - November 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMGosh!!! What a great encounter and way to go Bert!!! :D :D :D

I'll have more to say tomorrow/later today. *Much* later today. The leftover Halloween candy helped me make it to both Romney and Obama's speeches, but the chocolate is starting to wear off big time and that very large brick wall looming in my way called exhaustion and letdown looks like it's going to *hurt* when I hit it. Getting up later isn't going to be at all fun.

Still....Yay Bertie!! Can we call him that too or does just his new BFF HRH has that privilege? :D

Bert is quite happy with Bertie. This afternoon he thought about adopting Bertram as his professional name, but I think I have talked him out of that.

As for the Queen of Australia, Madame Royale, who knows? Anything is possible: it all depends on the wording of the Royal Styles and Titles Act for the new reign.

:previous: Successful tour aside, I can't envision any such amendmant coming to fruition myself. As it stands, only the monarch hold's any constitutional significance within this sovereign Commonwealth (we don't even have a royal family) and all other member's of our soverign's family, inlcuding their spouse, are accorded only the courtesy of their principal foreign titles. Not that you yourself aren't aware of that of course :)

Personally, I'm perfectly content with that arrangement and have a 'feeling' that the government of the day would be likely to concur. Certainly when refelcting upon the number of republican sympathisers in Australian federal politics which is only likely to exceede the numbers we see today.

Last edited:
Wonderful post Tom & Bertie!
I loved reading it. :)

I know you are probably right Madame Royale, but I like to toy with the constitutional and legal possibilities. You make an important point that Australia does not have a royal family, despite what some Australian monarchists might claim. That's why I was a bit unsure about Canada adopting standards for the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge, but that's another story.

I've just watched some of the reports from Adelaide, it looks like it was another great afternoon for the royal couple. I love Adelaide; it's one of my favourite cities.

Many members of the BRF hold their titles by virtue of courtesy. Everything flows from the Sovereign on down.
Royal Standards for members of the Royal Family have a long tradition in Canada.
It was only under the Liberals and lefties that they were discouraged but thankfully Canada has a conservative monarchist PM and the Royal traditions are flourishing again.

My understanding is that prior to the Prince of Wales and Duke of Cambridge getting a Canadian standard last year, only the Queen has ever had a Canadian standard (as she is, of course, the only member of the Royal Family with a constitutional role in Canada). My concern about the Prince and Duke receiving Canadian standards is that they are not Canadian princes, they are princes of the United Kingdom. Maybe it is a nice symbolic gesture, but perhaps constitutionally and legally it makes little sense.

You're correct, they are not 'Canadian Princes' but Canada has always followed the tradition of considering the BRF as the CRF.
Of course only the Queen has a constitutional role in Canada but Canadians embrace the BRF as our own.
You're also correct that during the reign of Elizabeth II, there have only been 3 Royal Standards in Canada. One for the Sovereign, one for the Sovereign's heir and one for the elder son of the Prince of Wales.

I don't know how Australians view their 'Royal Family'

I know you are probably right Madame Royale, but I like to toy with the constitutional and legal possibilities. You make an important point that Australia does not have a royal family, despite what some Australian monarchists might claim.

Probably that's why the PoW's standard was not on the main flagpole, as it is no Australian prince but "just" a relative of the Head of State. Rich the country who can discuss to have such a man as Head of State or not. Other people and even countries, I'M sure, would only be happy to have such a hard-working, serious and honest man for a future Head of State!

I'm afraid Bert's winning ways have led to you being outed, Tom. Loved your report on the day, and the pics. :flowers:

I don't know how Australians view their 'Royal Family'

Australian's don't view the BRF as our royal family because they aren't. We have a Queen and only a Queen and that works pretty well I think.

The Prince of Wales, as heir apparent to the Australian throne, holds a particularly significant position although he too is not someone who generally inspires much thought throughout the community at large. Infact, he's moreorless regarded with a sense of relative indifference. Out of sight, out of mind.

That he is currently here of course inspires some degree of enthusiastic interest; but there are many people who just want to be able to claim that they have seen or spoken with Charles and his wife. People get caught up in the "buzz" which is a fairly natural reaction one would think.

And then you have people like Tom, who's motivations to see these people in person are inspired by their interest in, and respect for, the institution of monarchy.

Back to the tour..

On the evening news, it was commented that the couple had departed Melbourne for the next leg of their time in Australia, but according to the Australian Monarchist League website, the couple were flying back to Melbourne for another night at Government House before officially leaving for the rest of their visit tomorrow which shall take them to Tasmania and then onto Sydney.

Last edited:
Australia: Day Four - Adelaide:
The Duchess of Cornwall kicked off the day with a reception for Osteoporosis Australia at Government House in Melbourne. Her Royal Highness is President of the National Osteoporosis Society in the UK and has a personal connection to the disease - both her mother and grandmother died as a result of the brittle bone disease-
Australia: Day Four - Adelaide (with images, tweets) · clarencehouse · Storify

Sorry if these videos already been posted.

My niece actually saw Camilla and Charles with the Koals and she said that you would have thought that Camilla was holding a full grown tiger.

TomBert: What a lovely post, we were all rooting for you! Bert's coverage in the press is impressive. And, yes you were outed by the press. Yet another life rent asunder by the relentless pursuit of those blood sucking members of the press corp! :lol: Oops - got carried away there.

You probably have started a trend - forget flowers, everyone will be bringing along their dog to see the royal family. Crowds will be knee deep in pet dander and a tangle of leashes with the citizenry competing to see whose pooch draws the regal eye!

Well done - now get Bert back to his nap.

You probably have started a trend - forget flowers, everyone will be bringing along their dog to see the royal family. Crowds will be knee deep in pet dander and a tangle of leashes with the citizenry competing to see whose pooch draws the regal eye!

You know what? This is not so bad an idea. My dog would love to meet Camilla, I'M sure of it!:flowers:

Well my comments apparently offended some, which was not my intention. I am ignorant it seems to the affect of humidity on people. Being that I live in a place that is humid, I spoke without regard to others. For that I apologise. I will keep some comments to myself. And we continue on....

Often when the Queen goes somewhere there are people with corgis in the hope that they would catch the royal eye.

I would love to be able to see them and am envious of you and my republican brother who have both seen and met them.

Well my comments apparently offended some, which was not my intention. I am ignorant it seems to the affect of humidity on people. Being that I live in a place that is humid, I spoke without regard to others. For that I apologise. I will keep some comments to myself. And we continue on....

To be honest, I didn't see one thing about your posts that was offensive at all. I have to agree with you about humidity. I'm one of those people that don't fare well in it either. I feel lethargic, my ankles and feet tend to swell and I get headaches and nausea. If only we could be as intelligent as Bert is and just jump in the nearest water when we get overheated eh?

If things like allergies and weather condition tolerances would affect a royal while doing an engagement, I would think its in the best interest to have them avoid it. I wouldn't send someone I respected with a severe allergy to roses into a rose show. From what we've seen over the past years, Camilla is really quite a trooper (remember her broken ankle and her modes of transports?) and I don't see her cancelling or bowing out of an engagement for paltry reasons at all.

Just my 2 cents worth.

TomBert, I will join the chorus of thanks for giving such detailed and amusing descriptions of Bert's royal adventures. I'm glad you both enjoyed yourselves.

Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall, has the type of voice that I could listen to all day! I loved hearing her at the Osteoporosis Australia Reception. She sounds down to earth, sensible and caring.
I'm glad that Prince Charles brought her out and I hope that they are both having a great time down under.
It's a pity that they can't join their own age group for six months and follow the line of 'grey nomads' caravanning around the whole of Australia - taking their time.
I am impressed with Charles and Camilla's vitality. They are not retiring any time soon! In fact Charles hasn't even taken up his most important appointment.
I think that, in retrospect, it will be shown that Prince Charles spent his time as Prince of Wales being incredibly useful and hard working for the environment and the underprivileged. It will be that body of work for which he is best known and remembered perhaps.

Well TomBert you have managed to make me cry with laughter and you made my day! I love your posts and little Bert is just delightful. Thank you so much for sharing with us, what a joy and Im sure the Duchess loved it. Bert is so lucky to have her as his BFF. :lol:

Yesterday in Adelaide, Charles and Camilla visited the Penfolds Magill State Winery (envious it was them and not I). 'Penfolds' is Australia's foremost premiere wine producer and has become one of the worlds most famous wines along the way.

A bottle of 1951 Penfolds Grange Hermitage can set a buyer back $45,000+.

I've been gifted a couple of bottles from family and have bought a few myself, but I'm talking between $500 to $800 for wines that were produced in the early 80's and had sustained some minor damage to the labelling.

It is a beautiful drop!

Last edited:
Any pictures from the day in Adelaide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom