Charles and Camilla to Marry: February 10, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question to those more informed than me: Prince Charles has other titles than the title of Duke of Cornwall. So will Camilla also gain the titles Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Chester and Countess of Carrick?

There's no reason why she shouldn't. The thing is that as far as I know, she also gains the title Princess of Wales; it's just that she won't be known by that title. I mean, if Charles is Prince of Wales and she marries him and if the law about inheritance of titles hasn't been changed, I don't see how it could be avoided that in theory she's also the Princess of Wales. So far nobody seems to be saying that she won't have the right to that title, it just says she won't be known by it.

She will not have the title of Princess of Wales or any other of Charles titles. Just Duchess of Cornwall and when Charles is king she will be known as Princess Consort and not Queen. That is what I heard in the news this morining,all the people they interviewed were extremely clear that she would not have the title of Princess of Wales. Which i think is a good idea. She doesn't have any legal right to it either because it will be civil service, there is going to be a prayer service after the wedding at Windsor Castle. Although I think Charles could get arranged so she has those titles but until then she has no legal right to them.

Last edited:
looking at Camilla's pix,I can see that we're gonna have so much to talk in the ugly brides thread in 2 months:D

cute_girl said:
looking at Camilla's pix,I can see that we're gonna have so much to talk in the ugly brides thread in 2 months:D

Please try and keep the discussion polite and appropriate.

Thank you.

The Prince of Wales on his way from Clarence House to Windsor Castle on February 10.

Attachments

• 52173880.jpg
    52173880.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 188
It's amazing how quickly times change, isn't it? 30 years ago, when Charles and Camilla first wanted to get married, the Queen wouldn't allow it because Camilla was a commoner. Now things have come full circle and they are finally getting married. Think of how much sadness and heartbreak on both sides could have been avoided if they had been allowed to marry the first time around.

I'm pretty sure there was more to it than that. Charles and Camilla were both rather young when they met for the first time, and Charles was in the Navy and away at sea for long stretches. Plus, he was still very much under Lord Mountbatten's influence, and Mountbatten seemed to be angling for Charles to marry one of the Mountbatten granddaughters so he would have been counselling against Charles marrying Camilla, which would probably have carried a lot of weight with Charles. And then there was the problem of Camilla's past affairs (and her relationship with Andrew Parker Bowles, which was overlapping with her relationship with Charles) and the fact that her family wasn't noble and also had some scandals in it, and the whole lot together would have been too much.

Charles doesn't sound like the world's most decisive or forceful character, and he'd have had to be both of the above in order to marry Camilla back in the early 1970s. The Duke of Windsor was still (just about) alive then, and the Duchess was very much so; I'm sure the Queen Mother would have hated having her beloved grandson's name dragged through the press in the same breath as the Duke's.

So Charles ended up marrying someone who was eminently suitable on paper and disastrous as a partner for him in real life. If someone was to send a story like this to a publisher as a piece of fiction, it'd be rejected for being too far-fetched.

The whole thing really has been a mess. I hope they can finally salvage something out of it; it's just a horrible shame that it involved such an awful tragedy for Diana before it was all over.

cute_girl said:
I've not heard of this news,i mean about harry thinks of Camilla,would you please tell me whats it about?

Here is a link from the PHarry thread. If you scroll down you will see that me and kinneret posted the same article. I bolded and underlined some things in the article so it may be easier to see the hot details

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4731&page=2

This photograph which has been released by Clarence House today shows the Prince of Wales and Mrs Camilla Parker Bowles at Birkhall in Scotland last month as the two were leaving for a Sunday church service

Attachments

• 2471541.jpg
    2471541.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 192
Congratulations to the Couple. I wish them the best. It´s unfortunate that she will not be called the Princess of Wales for she is marrying the Prince of Wales. And too bad she will not be called Queen Camilla. I like the ring of that.

It may yet happen. The wording on the Prince of Wales website says "it is intended" that she be called Princess Consort; it doesn't sound as though it's set in rock. In another five or ten years, when people have got used to the idea of Charles and Camilla as a couple and more and more young people see Diana just as part of history, who knows what might happen.

"So Charles ended up marrying someone who was eminently suitable on paper and disastrous as a partner for him in real life. If someone was to send a story like this to a publisher as a piece of fiction, it'd be rejected for being too far-fetched."

Well said, Elspeth and it´s a shame that as wife to the future king that she will not be Queen nor will she be called the Princess of Wales for she will be married to the Prince of Wales. Also it´s interested to note that the last prince(ss) consort was Albert, the husband of Queen Victoria, who also had quite considerable opposition as well and he turned out to be quite the right husband and advisor to Victoria.

Last edited:
Now I'm confused. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it at least frowned upon by the Church of England to have two divorcees marry, especially since one was a factor in the collapse of a marriage AND if one or both of their former spouses are still alive? I thought as king, Charles was going to be the defender of the faith, not the hypocritical representative of it.

Yes, that's correct. However, they aren't having a church wedding, just a civil ceremony followed by a service of prayer and dedication in the church, which has been standard procedure for the remarriage of divorcees with a living ex-spouse for a long time.

Engagement pic

I wish they had chosen a different pic to release as their engagement pic. I am not a fan of the one they released.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm happy for them. They obviously love each other. As much as Diana was loved, it just really sounds like Charles and her should never have gotten married. Luckily, there is now more emphasis on the English royals being happy in their marriages, as there is the other royal houses.

I'm shocked... shocked, shocked, shocked. But, even so, I wish them every happiness.

There are 200 people viewing the Royal Family of England forum!!!!!:eek: :)
i swear my heart stopped when i saw that

I am also happy for them. Charles has obviously been in love with Camilla and I think it it wonderfull that true love can last so long. It was just a shame that Diana became a victim.
Charles should have married Camilla from the start, and then there havent been any problem at all.
Congratulation from me and I wish them both a long and happy marriage.

Betina

I'm really surprised at the amount of anti-Camilla sentiment here. I know she's not as glamourous or as media savvy as Diana was. But that's the point- this is ANOTHER PERSON!

If Diana were still alive, my guess is that an engagement announcement from her would be met with a lot of well wishes. I'm surprised we don't offer the same respect to Charles. Yes, he had an affair during his marriage. So did Diana! I can't understand the blatant double standard that keeps coming up in public opinion.

Camilla may not be the woman we would choose, but that's the point. It's Charles' choice who he wants to spend the rest of his life with. Not ours.

They deserve a chance. Would it kill us to give it to them?

Eliza

What can I say...I was shocked when I heard the news. I never thought this day would come...as least not when the Queen is still alive & regning. I wonder how Prince William and Prince Harry really feel about this? Obviously, in the public they will be quoted as being very happy and supportive. But this has to be very hard on both of them, I'm sure they are thinking of their mother on this day.

I don´t tink that she looks like she is going to be the next Princess Consort of UK. What say Prince Charles 2 children to this news??????

an article from ctv.ca

Prince Charles to marry Camilla Parker Bowles

Prince Charles announced Thursday he will marry his longtime partner Camilla Parker Bowles, but she won't become queen.

The Prince of Wales and Parker Bowles will tie the knot on April 8 at Windsor Castle, Clarence House, the Prince's residence and office confirmed.

"Camilla Parker Bowles was often disliked by the people in this country, sometimes blamed for what happened to the marriage of Charles and Diana," CTV's Tom Kennedy reported from London.

But he added that the tide seems to have turned.

"Generally now people are perceiving this wedding as the natural evolution of a couple who have been in love for a very long time," he said.

The announcement has also received the royal stamp of approval from Queen Elizabeth who said in a statement: "The Duke of Edinburgh and I are very happy that the Prince of Wales and Mrs. Parker Bowles are to marry."

Prince Charles' sons William and Harry are "delighted'' at the news, a spokesman for Prince Charles said.

Prime Minister Tony Blair also said he was "delighted for the Prince of Wales and Camilla Parker Bowles, it is very happy news." He added that the British cabinet sent their "congratulations and good wishes."

The marriage ceremony for the bride and groom, who are both divorced, will be a civil one, not a Church of England service.

"The wedding will be a largely private occasion for family and friends. There will be a civil ceremony in Windsor Castle," said Clarence House, Prince Charles' residence and office.

"There will subsequently be a service of prayer and dedication in St. George's Chapel at which the Archbishop of Canterbury will preside."

But Parker Bowles -- reportedly dubbed "the Rottweiler" by Diana and blamed by the late Princess for the breakup of her marriage -- will not be known as Queen Camilla if Prince Charles becomes king.

Rather, she will be known as Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cornwall. If Prince Charles becomes King, she will be known as the Princess Consort.

"She will not be queen," John Aimers of the Monarchist League of Canada told Canada AM.

"Immediately, she will be a Royal Highness though, which is a very significant title, only given to the closest members of the Royal Family," he said.

He agreed that the decision to name her Duchess of Cornwall was a conscious one.

"They had to avoid the title of Princess of Wales so as not to upset the sensitivities of those who are in the Diana camp," he said.

The news comes amid recent controversy.

"What has been a little bit controversial recently is the rapidity at which (Prince Charles') estate has been growing," Kennedy reported.

"The other thing that has been a little bit controversial is the fact that the expenses of Camilla Parker Bowles is now part of that royal household expense," he said.

But he said there was barely any mention of the controversies surrounding Prince Charles in the excitement of the wedding buzz.

Kennedy reported that there's a little more bounce in Charles's step today, according to those who know the prince well.

Royal biographer Robert Lacey said he thinks "most people in their hearts like the idea of a middle-aged man who has worked so hard for the country being happy."

Charles, 56, divorced Princess Diana in 1996, a year before she was killed in a Paris car crash.

Parker Bowles, 57, obtained her divorce from army officer Andrew Parker Bowles in 1995.

Prince Charles and Parker Bowles have a long history that began when they met at a polo match in 1970.

According to royal folk legend, Parker Bowles reportedly told him: "My great-great-grandmother was your great-great-grandfather's mistress, so how about it?"

Parker Bowles was vilified by the public after tapes of intimate conversations between her and Prince Charles emerged in 1992 while he was still married.

In a 1994 television interview, Prince Charles admitted that he had been unfaithful during his marriage to Diana.

After Diana's death, Parker Bowles made tentative steps to win public approval by accompanying Prince Charles to galas and posing for official photographs with him. They now live together at his Clarence House residence in London.

Last year a Populus poll indicated that 32 per cent of Britons supported the marriage while 29 per cent were opposed. Thirty-eight per cent of Britons said they didn't care either way.

With files from The Associated Press and a report by CTV's Tom Kennedy

azile1710 said:
I'm really surprised at the amount of anti-Camilla sentiment here. I know she's not as glamourous or as media savvy as Diana was. But that's the point- this is ANOTHER PERSON!

If Diana were still alive, my guess is that an engagement announcement from her would be met with a lot of well wishes. I'm surprised we don't offer the same respect to Charles. Yes, he had an affair during his marriage. So did Diana! I can't understand the blatant double standard that keeps coming up in public opinion.

Camilla may not be the woman we would choose, but that's the point. It's Charles' choice who he wants to spend the rest of his life with. Not ours.

Eliza

Agree. I second that emotion!

Alisa said:
Let me start by saying that I sincerely wish the couple the best for their future together.

However I cannot say that I am thrilled about their marriage. <snip>

In many ways it seems as their marriage is like rewarding bad behavior.They certainly deserve each other.:eek:

THAT'S IT! I was very upset when I heard the news and it seemed to be odd that I would react so badly...even though I miss Diana (as much as you can "miss" someone you didn't really know). But it does seem like he treated Diana badly, he cheated (by some accounts) even during their courtship and engagement not to mention their marriage, and I personally feel that his behavior led to her poor decisions/behavior...which led ultimately to her death with a drunken driver and Dodi. She dies. And now, somehow, he and the woman he committed adultery with are being rewarded with happily ever after? It just DOES seem like bad behavior being rewarded.

Thank goodness she isn't going to be Queen, at least. I couldn't stand it.

I'm also shocked that the family and the government will allow a civil ceremony...although maybe it's because they won't be producing any heirs at their ages?

you make a good point

monos26 said:
I know I'm in the minority, but I'm happy for them. They obviously love each other. As much as Diana was loved, it just really sounds like Charles and her should never have gotten married. Luckily, there is now more emphasis on the English royals being happy in their marriages, as there is the other royal houses.

Mette-Marit comes to mind. She wasn't even divorced, just a single mom, think of what the press and the peers would have done to THAT 30 years ago. I think she's doing a lovely job as CP, perhaps Camilla will too. Although, I'm not sure I'll ever get past thinking of her as rotweiller. I think many people who were alive to see Diana struggle emotionally, etc., in the 80s-90s will have a hard time getting past that as well...

First apperance

I just saw them at Windsor castle. She was wearing a long dress that was either red or pink I couldn't tell. The collar odf his tux was red which I found really odd. As she was walking by the press a reporter asked if Charles got down on his knee to propose to which she said "of course". Sorry I don't have any pics but I saw it on TV. Also to those of you in the US MSNBC will have a special on the pair tonight at 9:00.

azile1710 said:

Eliza

I agree that they deserve a chance...

This may be jumping the gun a bit as there is still a lot of reaction to the news of the engagement itself: But when Charles and Camilla get married in April, what will the guest list be like?

I certainly don't expect a wedding guest list as grand and as extensive as when he married Diana, but can we expect something smaller and more private like what Lady Davina Windsor had when she married Gary Lewis? Especially since this is a civil service yet on the other hand can we expect something a bit more grand because he is the future king?

marezdote said:
I just saw them at Windsor castle. She was wearing a long dress that was either red or pink I couldn't tell. The collar odf his tux was red which I found really odd. As she was walking by the press a reporter asked if Charles got down on his knee to propose to which she said "of course". Sorry I don't have any pics but I saw it on TV. Also to those of you in the US MSNBC will have a special on the pair tonight at 9:00.

Her is her dress. The pic is from http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php?id=1954158

360989-ce108a859517ea656f2ef1a40754bab8.jpeg

Good questions, Alexandria. I think it will be the second. Bigger than just a regular private ceremony because he is the future king. Some non-British royals. I assume the Greeks will be there for sure. Also I was wondering on media coverage. I wonder how they are going to handle that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom