Charles and Camilla to Marry: February 10, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From BBC News:

'Like a pair of comfy old slippers'
By Jennie Bond
Royal affairs commentator

Theirs is a love that has endured - rightly and wrongly - for more than 30 years.

_41006531_charles_body203.jpg

It was at the start of the 70s that Charles and Camilla met at a polo match... where else?

The story goes that, in her raunchy, ribald way, she went up to the prince and said: "My great-grandmother was your great-great-grandfather's lover. So how about it?"

Well if she didn't say it, she should have because it's a peach of a line.

How different history would have been if they'd recognised the strength of their feelings back then and married one another first time round.

It's unlikely that Camilla would ever have been as popular as the innocent and beguiling Diana Spencer, but I believe she would have been accepted as the Princess of Wales, and future queen.

As it is, after a lusty affair, Charles went off to the Navy and dithered - aware that Camilla was not the "virgin bride" he felt he was obliged to seek out.

And Camilla fell back into the arms of her dashing cavalry officer lover, Andrew Parker Bowles.

Charles was bereft, but eventually wooed and wed Diana.

Only Charles and Camilla know the truth about how long they were faithful to their respective partners.

The prince certainly remained close to Camilla and her husband. Indeed he became godfather to their son, Tom, in 1974.

And there's no doubt that, a decade later, as his marriage to Diana began to implode, the only person who could truly comfort Charles was Camilla.

It was during those difficult - and eventually tragic - years that the prince focused on what for him became a fundamental but simple fact: whatever other sacrifices he might have to make, Camilla was "non-negotiable".

It was a powerful, uncompromising statement - and one that he has stuck to rigidly in the face of parental and public disapproval.

Camilla is his soul mate. She understands him, panders to his needs and sympathises when he feels the world is against him - which is often.

They share a love of the countryside, of hunting and dogs, of walking in the rain and gardening.

After so many years of friendship and love, they are like a pair of comfy old slippers together.

Divorces happen. They are never pleasant, but most of us get a second chance of happiness.

Why should Charles and Camilla be any different? In middle age they are embarking on a marriage they should have begun three decades ago.

They have travelled a difficult, dangerous and sometimes devious road.

Their relationship has rocked the monarchy and caused a great deal of unhappiness to others.

Now as they try to put their house in order, their wedding plans have been dogged by the sort of bad luck you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.

The past is over. Diana cannot be brought back or replaced. Even she accepted that Camilla was the love of Charles's life - in fact she once told me that she thought Camilla had been loyal and discreet and deserved some form of recognition.

Well, now she's going to get it. As the years roll by and we get more used to seeing the Duchess of Cornwall at Charles's side, she may eventually earn the recognition I think is hers by right: to be called Queen Camilla.

From BBC News:

_40223135_charlescamilla2_ap_203.jpg

Carey to read at wedding blessing

Former Archbishop of Canterbury Lord Carey, who urged the Prince of Wales and Camilla Parker Bowles to marry, will read at their wedding blessing.

Lord Carey will read from the Book of Revelation during the service on Saturday, Clarence House has announced.

Actor Timothy West, a friend of the couple, will also read. Musician Jools Holland and comic Sanjeev Bhaskar will be among the 800 guests.

The St George's Chapel service follows a civil ceremony in Windsor Guildhall.

Wordsworth ode

Lord Carey last year revealed in memoirs that he had counselled the prince over his relationship with Mrs Parker Bowles and said it would be the "natural thing" for them to marry.

Timothy West will read William Wordsworth's Ode: Intimations of Immortality during the 45-minute service.

The ceremony has been arranged in consultation with the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, who will conduct the service.

Prince Charles and the new Duchess of Cornwall will recite the strongest act of penitence from the 1662 Book of Common Prayer.

The couple will read: "We acknowledge and bewail our manifold sins and wickedness, which we, from time to time, most grievously have committed, by thought, word and deed, against thy Divine Majesty, provoking most justly thy wrath and indignation against us."

The prince will also pledge to be faithful to his new wife.

Queen to attend

Clarence House revealed that the postponement of the wedding from Friday, to avoid a clash with the Pope's funeral, meant 20 people could no longer attend the blessing.

But four others were now able to make it, aides said.

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will be present, but are not attending the earlier civil ceremony.

Aides have kept secret that ceremony's order of service, but it is known there are to be no readings or music.

The Queen will hold a lunch for visiting foreign royals after the wedding.

Guest list for the Civil Marriage Ceremony in Guildhall on Saurday
(as released on the official website of the Prince of Wales)

HRH Prince William
HRH Prince Harry

HRH The Duke of York
HRH Princess Beatrice
HRH Princess Eugenie

TRH The Earl and Countess of Wessex

HRH The Princess Royal
Timothy Laurence
Peter Phillips
Zara Phillips

HRH Princess Alexandra

Viscount and Viscountess Linley

Mr Daniel and Lady Sarah Chatto

Major Bruce Shand
Mr Bruce Shand

Mr and Mrs Simon Elliot
Mr Ben Elliot
Miss Katie Elliot
Mr and Mrs Luke Irwin

Mr Tom Parker Bowles
Ms Sara Buys

Miss Laura Parker Bowles
Mr Larry Lopes

Charles and Camilla to admit 'sins and wickedness' in service
By Simon Freeman, Times Online

The Prince of Wales and Camilla Parker Bowles will admit their "manifold sins and wickedness" in the Anglican church's strongest language when their wedding is blessed by the Archbishop of Canterbury on Saturday.

The Prince will pledge to be faithful to his new wife in the service of prayer and dedication at St George's Chapel within the grounds of Windsor Castle.

Instead of the more recent and moderate prayers of penitence written for divorcees, the Prince and the new Duchess of Cornwall will then join the congregation in reading what is regarded as the most severe act of penitence from the 1662 Book of Common Prayer.

The confession reads: "We acknowledge and bewail our manifold sins and wickedness, Which we, from time to time, most grievously have committed, by thought, word and deed."

Charles and Camilla will then say: “We do earnestly repent, And are heartily sorry for these our misdoings. Have mercy upon us .... Forgive us all that is past.” Both have committed adultery during their previous marriages.

Lord Carey, the Former Archbishop of Canterbury, is expected to lighten the mood with a reading from the Book of Revelation which includes the line: "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."

The actor Timothy West, also a friend of Charles and Camilla, will also give a reading, reciting Ode: Intimations of Immortality by William Wordsworth. The poem includes the line oft-quoted by John Mortimer's fictional barrister Rumpole: "Shades of the prison-house begin to close Upon the growing Boy."

The 45-minute service follows the Church of England order and has been arranged in close consultation with the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Dean of Windsor, who has written a special prayer for the occasion.

Ruth Gledhill, The Times's Religion correspondent, said: "In going for the 1662 prayer book confession they will be reciting the strongest words of penitance that exist in the Church of England's liturgy.

"But also, the Prince is signalling his continuing alliegance to the traditional language of the C of E. And as Lay Patron of the Prayer Book Society, which opposes the common worship liturgy of which most blessing services consist, this is a strong gesture showing where his loyalties lie."

A spokesman for Clarence House said: "The focus of the service is the dedication and commitment by the couple and prayer and support for them in their life together."

Almost 800 people will gather in the historic chapel for the service which follows the civil ceremony in Windsor’s Guildhall.

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will be among the congregation for the blessing, but are not attending the civil service.

Clarence House today released more details of guests invited to the chapel including musician Jools Holland and star of comedy show the Kumars at No 42 Sanjeev Bhaskar.

Barbara Fell, the landlady of one of the Prince’s favourite pubs the Rose & Crown in Boylston, Derbyshire, will be there, as will designer Paddy Campbell, whose outfits have often been worn by Mrs Parker Bowles.

The couple’s local vicar, the Rev Christopher Mulholland, also has a place in the congregation.

Representatives from Camilla’s charities Terry Eccles, chief executive of the National Osteoporosis Society, and Colonel Bob Richardson-Aitken from the Bobby Van Trust have been invited, as has chief executive of the Prince’s Trust Martina Milburn.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,19769-1558869,00.html

Looks like most of the people of the duchy of cornwall aren't very enthusiastic about their future duchess. I saw a news report on cnn today and most of the people interviewed were indifferent if not hostile about the news. One of them called Camilla a "trollop" and another one, when asked what duties the Duchess of Cornwall performs, had she been there etc. had no clue. Though one woman did say that it all comes down to the fact that "diana was pretty and camilla isnt, and thats pretty shallow"

Thanks lots GrandDuchess for the guests list.I also heard that the Royal Guests List for the Blessing and Reception also long.So many Royals attend,hope so.Great event!

This page is already 97 pages.Should we create a new thread only for the Wedding?

HMQueenElizabethII said:
This page is already 97 pages.Should we create a new thread only for the Wedding?

I believe that the moderators of this forum, Elspeth and Martine know when it is time to create new threads and they will do so in good time, but thanks for your concern.

Mandy
TRF Administrator

Alexandria has already created a thread for the wedding, which will be unlocked soon. At that point, this thread will be closed. I hope people will have worked out their feelings about Charles and Camilla and whether the wedding should have taken place by then and will be able to concentrate on posting about the wedding itself on the wedding thread.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

It will be the Wedding tomorrow,i wish all the happiness for the couple on their Wedding day,after the wedding and forever.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
It will be the Wedding tomorrow,i wish all the happiness for the couple on their Wedding day,after the wedding and forever.

Charles and Camilla's wedding is not tomorrow. It has been re-schedule for Saturday so that Charles may attend Pope John Paul II's funeral in Rome.

No Alexandria,in Australia is already Friday now.I know that the wedding has changed into Saturday.Because the time in Australia is different to Canada.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
No Alexandria,in Australia is already Friday now.I know that the wedding has changed into Saturday.Because the time in Australia is different to Canada.

Yes, sorry I did not take into account the time differences. You are right. My apologies.

Australis said:
Gee what a way to reward a troublemaker who goes around braking marriages!!!

Isn't it a kick in the head that she can be called Princess of Wales??? It makes me sick to my stomach just to think of it :mad: :mad: :mad:

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Charles and Camilla to admit 'sins and wickedness' in service
By Simon Freeman, Times Online

The Prince of Wales and Camilla Parker Bowles will admit their "manifold sins and wickedness" in the Anglican church's strongest language when their wedding is blessed by the Archbishop of Canterbury on Saturday.

The Prince will pledge to be faithful to his new wife in the service of prayer and dedication at St George's Chapel within the grounds of Windsor Castle.

Instead of the more recent and moderate prayers of penitence written for divorcees, the Prince and the new Duchess of Cornwall will then join the congregation in reading what is regarded as the most severe act of penitence from the 1662 Book of Common Prayer.

The confession reads: "We acknowledge and bewail our manifold sins and wickedness, Which we, from time to time, most grievously have committed, by thought, word and deed."

Charles and Camilla will then say: “We do earnestly repent, And are heartily sorry for these our misdoings. Have mercy upon us .... Forgive us all that is past.” Both have committed adultery during their previous marriages.

Lord Carey, the Former Archbishop of Canterbury, is expected to lighten the mood with a reading from the Book of Revelation which includes the line: "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."

The actor Timothy West, also a friend of Charles and Camilla, will also give a reading, reciting Ode: Intimations of Immortality by William Wordsworth. The poem includes the line oft-quoted by John Mortimer's fictional barrister Rumpole: "Shades of the prison-house begin to close Upon the growing Boy."

The 45-minute service follows the Church of England order and has been arranged in close consultation with the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Dean of Windsor, who has written a special prayer for the occasion.

Ruth Gledhill, The Times's Religion correspondent, said: "In going for the 1662 prayer book confession they will be reciting the strongest words of penitance that exist in the Church of England's liturgy.

"But also, the Prince is signalling his continuing alliegance to the traditional language of the C of E. And as Lay Patron of the Prayer Book Society, which opposes the common worship liturgy of which most blessing services consist, this is a strong gesture showing where his loyalties lie."

A spokesman for Clarence House said: "The focus of the service is the dedication and commitment by the couple and prayer and support for them in their life together."

Almost 800 people will gather in the historic chapel for the service which follows the civil ceremony in Windsor’s Guildhall.

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will be among the congregation for the blessing, but are not attending the civil service.

Clarence House today released more details of guests invited to the chapel including musician Jools Holland and star of comedy show the Kumars at No 42 Sanjeev Bhaskar.

Barbara Fell, the landlady of one of the Prince’s favourite pubs the Rose & Crown in Boylston, Derbyshire, will be there, as will designer Paddy Campbell, whose outfits have often been worn by Mrs Parker Bowles.

The couple’s local vicar, the Rev Christopher Mulholland, also has a place in the congregation.

Representatives from Camilla’s charities Terry Eccles, chief executive of the National Osteoporosis Society, and Colonel Bob Richardson-Aitken from the Bobby Van Trust have been invited, as has chief executive of the Prince’s Trust Martina Milburn.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,19769-1558869,00.html

If this is true, IT IS ABOUT TIME!!! I hope they mean it, but I have my doubts.

Piewi said:
really, I don´t know Susan Alicia. the article says that they argued in a dinner in Charles house, in Highgrove

I definitly agree with you Victoria1999, British monarchy is going down with all this mess. Charles did desastes and i think that he´ll pay for his error (and for the other people too) and maybe not only him, all the British monarchy

It is really bizarre I am reading this now because today I met someone from England on my job and we had a discussion about the wedding and Charles' suitability for kingship. She came out and BLASTED Charles and wished they would skip over him for William!! I reminded her of the dirty "A" word from 1936 and that won't happen. But she is right, William is the hope of the future!!

Fun Guests

I trust Joan Rivers will remember she's not giving commentary on the guests' frocks from the red carpet, and that Joanna Lumley, aka Patsy, will go easy on the Bolly!

Joan Rivers?? Heard her make jokes once and they were :eek:

Warren said:
I trust Joan Rivers will remember she's not giving commentary on the guests' frocks from the red carpet, and that Joanna Lumley, aka Patsy, will go easy on the Bolly!

what time will the wedding be tomorrow?

Info on Canadian (and other) guests to the wedding

Guests at royal wedding range from Gov. Gen Clarkson to comedian Joan Rivers

WINDSOR, England (CP) - It's not every day that Gov. Gen. Adrienne Clarkson parties with crass comedian Joan Rivers.

But both women are among 800 guests invited to attend the blessing ceremony for the marriage of Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles on Saturday in the majestic St. George's chapel at Windsor Castle.

They'll also be on hand for the glittering reception in the castle, where guests will be greeted by a royal harpist and can sample the groom's favourite fruitcakes, fresh from the market, before Charles and Camilla leave for their honeymoon in a cosy Scottish hunting lodge.

There is perhaps no odder name on the guest list than Rivers, the American comedian known best in recent years for her tortured red-carpet skewerings of celebrities before various U.S. awards shows. Rivers, apparently a friend of the royal couple, loves nothing more than to take shots at the rich and famous.

She and Clarkson will mingle with a sea of other invitees, including diplomats from around the globe and celebrities like Kenneth Branagh and Joanna Lumley, who played the drunken Patsy on the British TV show Absolutely Fabulous.

Representatives from several Canadian military regiments, including four members of the Toronto Scottish Regiment, will also join the diverse crowd.

Clarkson, accompanied by her husband, John Ralston Saul, is bringing a bowl made of hand-cast pewter as her gift to Charles and his bride. The bowl was designed by Newfoundland artist Raymond Cox, whose work Clarkson adores.

"I've taken an old metal . . . and have worked it in a way that reflects the world around me," Cox says of his bowl. "The solid metal is made liquid and poured in an open mould to reform itself in the air. Colours come from the metal itself, a natural oxidation that is enhanced by the working of the metal and the sea air."

The bowl was not the only taste of Canada in the air Friday, the eve of the wedding. Canadian-like weather also paid a visit, with cold, blustery winds blowing through this quaint tourist town and even a brief spell of snow.

Shoppers scurried through the narrow streets looking as though they were at Winnipeg's Portage and Main in mid-January, wearing hats, mitts, scarves and earmuffs. Even the tulips and daffodils, already in full bloom here, looked stunned by the uncharacteristic Arctic chill.

But there was very little evidence of any other Canadian flavour to the wedding festivities. The Canadian Embassy has no plans for anything special, and neither did The Maple Leaf pub in London - home every night to dozens of Canadian tipplers.

"There's nothing special going on here," said waitress Laura Devine, a resident of Brampton, Ont., who's taking a year off after graduating from the University of Calgary to live in London.

"I myself haven't been paying much attention. It's not a very big deal here."
http://www.cbc.ca/cp/world/050408/w040858.html

Canadian Governor General Adrienne Clarkson, in London

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
tiaraprin said:
Isn't it a kick in the head that she can be called Princess of Wales??? It makes me sick to my stomach just to think of it :mad: :mad: :mad:

I know. Everytime I think of all this I feel like puking. I have such a bad feelign about all this. I am just glad I am in William's generation (go generation next!) so that I can see him reign and put things back together again as they should be. I really believe that he is the last chance for the monarchy.

Reina said:
I really believe that he is the last chance for the monarchy.

Back in the late 1960s and 1970s these were the exact same sentiments expressed about Charles.

Charles will make a good king because he has been trained for it. Look less at his failed marriage and more at the rest of the work he has done for his country and you will see why I say this.

He doesn't get the recognition he deserves for the work he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom