Charles and Camilla to Marry: February 10, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Definatley Won't be Postponed

from reuters:

LONDON (Reuters) - The wedding of Britain's Prince Charles to Camilla Parker Bowles will go ahead Friday even if it clashes with the funeral of Pope John Paul, Clarence House said Sunday.

"If the funeral falls Friday, the wedding will still go ahead," a spokeswoman said. The Pope's funeral was expected to be held between Wednesday and Friday.

The royal wedding has been hit by several glitches from the outset, with the British tabloids dubbing it a royal fiasco.

The venue had to be switched from Windsor Castle to the town hall in Windsor after a mix-up over marriage licenses. Constitutional experts have also questioned the legality of a civil ceremony. Charles divorced his first wife, Princess Diana, in 1996. She died in a car crash in Paris a year later. Queen Elizabeth has said she will not attend her eldest son's second marriage but she is planning to attend a blessing being given afterwards by Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams at Windsor Castle, west of London.

TV date for Germany:
8. April ZDF, 1 p.m. -5 p.m. live with Norbert Loh ;) Oh man, I'm not at home till 2 p.m.
I'm pretty sure that ARD will also send live.
It would be unfortunate if the wedding was postponed. But I think the funeral of the pope is more important then.
Few minutes ago I read in the videotext that Crownprincess Victoria won't attend the wedding because she's in Japan. Only Crownprince Haakon with a bigger name will be there.

if the funeral of the Pope and the wedding of Charles happen on the same day....dun they think that it's kinda bad luck or something? or....kinda weird when others pay their respect to the Pope and they go ahead on their own wedding....that's kinda weird

Camilla will get Diana's title Princess of Wales: newspaper

[size=-1][size=-2]Click to enlarge photo[/size]LONDON (AFP) - Camilla Parker Bowles will be given the title Princess of Wales, the one most associated with the late Princess Diana, when she marries Britain's Prince Charles on Friday, a newspaper said.

The title will be confirmed in a parliamentary statement in response to a question from Andrew MacKinlay, a member of parliament from the governing Labour Party, the Sunday Times said.

The title will likely anger supporters of the late princess, who blamed Parker Bowles for the breakup of her marriage to Prince Charles, it said.

As a sop to public opinion, Parker Bowles has made it known she wants to be called Duchess of Cornwall, taking another of Charles's titles, after her wedding.

She would change it to Princess Consort on his succession to the throne, rather than be called queen.

However, Chris Leslie, the constitutional affairs minister, will confirm on Monday that she will be given all her husband's titles, the Sunday Times said.

The list includes Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Earl of Chester, Lord of the Isles and Great Steward of Scotland, the newspaper said.

Senior government officials said it would take an act of parliament to change the law for Parker Bowles not to accept the titles, the newspaper said.

MacKinlay believes parliament is the custodian of the constitution and it is not the place of senior royal household members to tell the country what they would like people to be called, the newspaper said.

that sucks...i dun want to call her princess of wales...cuz in many of our hearts...there's only ONE Princess of Wales..and that's Diana!

[/size]

From The Sunday Times:

The same news but in a rather good & interesting article from The Sunday Times...

Official: Camilla to be Princess of Wales

David Cracknell and Christopher Morgan

CAMILLA Parker Bowles will be given the title Princess of Wales when she marries Prince Charles on Friday, the government will announce tomorrow.

The title will be confirmed in a parliamentary statement in response to a question from Andrew Mackinlay, a Labour MP. It is likely to anger supporters of the late Diana, Princess of Wales.

The disclosure, four days before the wedding, is potentially more embarrassing for Parker Bowles than the earlier admission that she will one day become queen. The title remains closely linked in the public mind to Diana, especially among those who blame Parker Bowles for ruining Diana’s marriage to Charles.

Parker Bowles has made it known that she wants to be called Duchess of Cornwall, taking another of Charles’s titles, after her marriage. It is planned that this will be changed to Princess Consort on his succession.

However, Chris Leslie, the constitutional affairs minister, will confirm tomorrow that she will be given all her husband’s titles. The list includes Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Earl of Chester, Lord of the Isles and Great Steward of Scotland.

Senior government sources say that it would take an act of parliament to change the law for Parker Bowles not to accept the titles.

A spokesman for the constitutional affairs department said yesterday: “There will be a statement in response to a parliamentary written answer on Monday.

“It is simple: she automatically takes the title Princess of Wales and all the other titles that go with her marriage to the Prince of Wales.”

Vivienne Parry, who worked closely with Diana for several years, was alarmed at the disclosure. “How crass! You have to take account of the nation’s sensibilities. To the nation, Diana, Princess of Wales was irreplaceable,” she said.

“I actually feel sorry for Camilla: to saddle the poor woman with this title imposes a burden on her she has not asked for and should not have to bear. It is not fair on her.”

Mackinlay, whose inquiries led to the government’s statement that Camilla would become queen if Charles succeeded to the throne, believes that parliament is the custodian of the constitution and that it is not the place of senior royal household members to tell the country what they would like people to be called.

“There has been a disquieting lack of candour throughout this,” he said last night.

“The decision over titles is the property of parliament. It does not belong to Clarence House or even to Buckingham Palace. The custodians of the constitution are parliamentarians.”

It has also emerged that Charles and Parker Bowles will kneel down and say a prayer of dedication aloud together during the service which will follow the civil ceremony on Friday.

In a reference to their former spouses they will offer “our thoughts and words and deeds, our love for one another”.

According to recent opinion polls, Britain is slowly warming to the affair between Charles and Camilla, with 43% of people saying they approve of the marriage of the two divorcees — although another survey found that the figure was as high as 65%. Last summer only 32% approved.

However, the polls show that the public is less keen on Parker Bowles getting a meaningful title or becoming queen. A poll last month found that just 7% thought she should be queen.

Critics of the recent actions of Charles’s household say that trying to hide the reality of what will happen on Friday has not helped to prepare the British public to accept the marriage.

What I don't get from all this about the title: they say that Diana will always be the Princess of Wales.

But what about the potential woman Prince William may marry? Surely the title Princess of Wales shouldn't be taken out of use forever?

susan alicia said:
do not think that the pope would want anyone to postpone their wedding on his account. He will be smiling on them from heavan

Please, I ask for respect for the Pope in this sad hour.... I Really don't think that Pope will smile to Charles and Camilla from Heaven... That should be a (bad) joke from you...

aninhas said:
Please, I ask for respect for the Pope in this sad hour.... I Really don't think that Pope will smile to Charles and Camilla from Heaven... That should be a (bad) joke from you...

There is really no need for such a comment. Nobody can really predict how the late Pope John Paul II would react to the wedding this week of Charles and Camilla and if some members feel that the Pope would be happy for this couple then that is their feeling, just as it is your opinon that he would not be.

There's no need to say that someone else's opinon is a bad joke.

Please have respect for the opinons and feelings of other members.

Alexandria
Royal Forums Administrator

that sucks...i dun want to call her princess of wales...cuz in many of our hearts...there's only ONE Princess of Wales..and that's Diana!
Which is why she's going to be known as Duchess of Cornwall. Nobody's going to CALL her Princess of Wales, but since this isn't a morganatic marriage, she'll be Princess of Wales automatically once she married the Prince of Wales.

What I don't get from all this about the title: they say that Diana will always be the Princess of Wales.

But what about the potential woman Prince William may marry? Surely the title Princess of Wales shouldn't be taken out of use forever?

It's possible that some people just aren't thinking very clearly. But I thought they were perhaps referring to "Princess of Wales" as far as the wife of Prince Charles is concerned, not for the entire future. People got used to the future Queen Mary being Princess of Wales after the accession of Edward VII even though Queen Alexandra had been Princess of Wales for decades.

Last edited:
So much of the confusion over this is a result of the media reporting at the time of the engagement announcement that Camilla wouldn't *be* Princess of Wales and wouldn't *be* Queen, which was misleading because that was never said in any of the official releases. The media used the verb *be* arbitrarily on their own.

I just heard on Tv, i could be wrong, that Camilla will be Princess of Wales on Friday
I thought Duchess of Cornwall?

Australian said:
I just heard on Tv, i could be wrong, that Camilla will be Princess of Wales on Friday
I thought Duchess of Cornwall?

Australian~Technically she will be Princess of Wales but she will be known as Duchess of Cornwall. When they marry she inherhits all of Charles' titles. For her not to be Princess of Wales laws would have to be passed. It is like how she will technically be Queen one day but will be known as Princess Consort.

no way! I told my other forums same things about Camilla cant become Princess of Wales because Diana already took in 1981!

Camilla cant become Princess of Wales! if many people who lived in England would hurt their feelings in Diana's fans and MINE! but Camilla would known as Duchess of Cornwall or Princess or Consort because she cant become Princess of Wales follow low profiles of late Diana,Princess of Wales to remind PEROID!

that my answer QUESTION!

Sara Boyce

Sara, she will BECOME Princess of Wales; because of people's feelings about Diana she will be KNOWN as Duchess of Cornwall. There's no way she can't become Princess of Wales in a country where morganatic marriage doesn't exist unless some very specific law was written to say that she would become Charles's wife and take all his titles except for Princess of Wales. The only other way I can think of would be if Charles renounced the title Prince of Wales; then he and Camilla would be the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and his sons would be Princes William and Henry of Cornwall.

Last edited:
Elspeth said:
Sara, she will BECOME Princess of Wales; because of people's feelings about Diana she will be KNOWN as Duchess of Cornwall. There's no way she can't become Princess of Wales in a country where morganatic marriage doesn't exist unless some very specific law was written to say that she would become Charles's wife and take all his titles except for Princess of Wales. The only other way I can think of would be if Charles renounced the title Prince of Wales; then he and Camilla would be the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and his sons would be Princes William and Henry of Cornwall.

my answer said NO!

Prince William and Prince Harry still his last names as Wales or Windsors from his dad but William and Harry will known Camilla as step-mother! but my hurt feelings about Camilla will become Princess of Wales i dont like it! but Camilla will known as Duchess of Cornwall or Princess of Consort that it its would be my answer question! PEROID!

Sara Boyce

Just so long as you understand the difference between "will become" and "will be known as."

As to what she's known as when Charles inherits the throne, I think we'll all just have to wait and see how that turns out.

yes, it was just on the bbc news, camilla will be but not use her title PoW, because of Diana, she will be known as HRH the duchess of cornwall.

Elspeth said:
Just so long as you understand the difference between "will become" and "will be known as."

As to what she's known as when Charles inherits the throne, I think we'll all just have to wait and see how that turns out.

I actually don't mind Camilla being Princess of Wales, (although i think Diana is the better Princess of Wales). Camilla has the rights to it being married to Prince Charles. There will be many women in the future who will have the rights to this title as well, and it would be most unfair to deny it to them because it was Princess Diana's title. Anyhow, it is just a title, she's still going to be the disliked partner of Prince Charles :p

I don't think Camilla should have any tittle that high up, that's his 2nd marriage not first, maybe she should been Known as Lady Camilla Windsor but nothing higher than that. I don't understand why things just change for her and Charles, what about Charles's father why is he a duke not a Prince Consort, his Married to a QUEEN..

One more thing for those People not within the Catholic faith, have respect for the ones who are, the Pope is like God's son on Earth, he did many things for People, wanted Peace and he didn't care if you were Anglican, Muslim, Jewish or whatever, he respected everyone, he even kissed the Koran and was at the Worship wall in Israel. Everyone should have respect no matter your faith or Culture and I think the Wedding should be postpone due to the fact that no date has been set for the Funeral and alot of head of State will be atttending the Funeral, which means alot of Politicians and Royalty.. 1 day more won't hurt either Charles or Camilla since they waited this long to be together 1 extra day won't hurt them. A Mark of Respect won't hurt anyone..

NJRedDevils said:
One more thing for those People not within the Catholic faith, have respect for the ones who are, the Pope is like God's son on Earth, he did many things for People, wanted Peace and he didn't care if you were Anglican, Muslim, Jewish or whatever, he respected everyone, he even kissed the Koran and was at the Worship wall in Israel. Everyone should have respect no matter your faith or Culture and I think the Wedding should be postpone due to the fact that no date has been set for the Funeral and alot of head of State will be atttending the Funeral, which means alot of Politicians and Royalty.. 1 day more won't hurt either Charles or Camilla since they waited this long to be together 1 extra day won't hurt them. A Mark of Respect won't hurt anyone..
Good point ^___^ I think Charles should attend the funeral, and you're right one day wouldn't hurt anyone.

and you brought up another good point, how come Charles father is a duke and not king? and yet there is a possibility of Camilla being Queen when she's not even royal like the duke...

In Britain, a woman takes her husband's titles if they're higher up the social scale than their father's titles; men don't take their wives' titles. Therefore, the wife of the king automatically becomes queen, but the husband of a queen doesn't automatically become king or even prince. Prince Albert was a prince in his own right when he married Queen Victoria; Prince Philip gave up his Greek title before he married Princess Elizabeth and was just Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten. King George VI gave him the title of Duke of Edinburgh just before the wedding and gave him the title HRH. It wasn't until a few years after their marriage that Queen Elizabeth formally conferred on him the title of a Prince of the United Kingdom; it didn't come automatically with his marriage.

Camilla will become HRH because of her marriage, just as the Queen Mother did.

As far as the Pope's funeral is concerned, the Queen was represented by the Duke of Norfolk, the most senior Catholic peer in England, at the funerals of Pope Paul VI and Pope John Paul I, and there's no reason to assume anything will be different this time.

If it had been another Protestant Crown Prince getting married, such as Frederik and Mary last year, would you still be calling for a postponement?

hillary_nugent said:
I actually don't mind Camilla being Princess of Wales, (although i think Diana is the better Princess of Wales). Camilla has the rights to it being married to Prince Charles. There will be many women in the future who will have the rights to this title as well, and it would be most unfair to deny it to them because it was Princess Diana's title. Anyhow, it is just a title, she's still going to be the disliked partner of Prince Charles :p

I told elspeth about that! but my answer said NO why because many people wanted to low-profiles follow death of late Diana,Princess of Wales because Diana already took POW in 1981 when she got married to Prince Charles but Camilla cant become POW that my answer question!

Camilla would known as Duchess of Cornwall or Princess of Consort that it! i would knew it about Princess Diana for more reason! but Diana been work hard than Camilla when Diana was married into Royals since 1981-1997 for dedication Diana more respectively!

Sara Boyce

Last edited by a moderator:
corazon said:
I until this moment I do not think on the Charles´s wedding, but now single I must say a thing:

i would agree with you!

Camilla cant become POW again! but Diana already took POW i told elspeth about that my answer question said NO! why because follow death of Diana,Princess of Wales more respect for Diana but Camilla would known as Duchess of Cornwall or Princess of Consort that it!

Sara Boyce

Could people calm down, please. This discussion isn't going to be improved by all this heat.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

Camilla's Title

The question of Camilla's title(s) was covered when the announcement of the wedding was made on 10 February.

It is now 4 April.

Surely everyone has been able to digest by now the fact that Camilla will be HRH the Princess of Wales, but KNOWN as HRH the Duchess of Cornwall.

I find it hard to understand the new outbreak of feigned outrage at this simple fact when it has been on the public record for almost two months.

Logic and commonsense will tell you that a woman takes her husband's name (and title) on marriage.

I am with you Warren.

Another way of looking at it is what would everyone have assumed if there had been no announcement of titles? The assumption would have been that Camilla would be the Princess of Wales and use that title. As there was an announcement the next question is why was there an announcement at all? It is because Clarence House knew that Camilla was entitled to use the Princess of Wales title but was choosing not to do so but to use the title Duchess of Wales.

In other words Clarence House was making it clear from the beginning. Maybe this should have been their statement - Camilla will be the Princess of Wales but has decided to be known as the Duchess of Cornwall. Actually they said this minus the "will be the Princess of Wales but" part of it. They assumed that people had enough intelligence to know that a woman always takes her husband's full titles and therefore spelt out that fact that Camilla wasn't going to be using the title Princess of Wales without actually using those precise words.

Come on folks - use the brains that God gave you and THINK things through. Why has this issue come up at this time? Has anyone thought that the man simply wants to make a name for himself in the lead up to an election and using the Royal Family, Prince Charles and the wedding is a good way to do so?

I think I just gagged at the thought of Camilla "Horsey" Bowles assuming the titles of Princess Diana. This lady is way out of that one's league and always will be. As for my own opinion, i think the moment Camilla becomes either Princess of Wales or Queen outright, the British people will come to their senses and throw Charles off the throne. He'll just scurry off into some nicely decorated manor in the English countryside with his horsey wife and his horsey life and his horsey self and never be seen again. And everyone will live happily ever after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom