The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-15-2015, 05:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
[...]
The one thing I noticed that I hadn't before, is that Charles mumbles when speaking. I was finding it a little difficult to understand him.
So father, so son...

The Duke of Cambridge has the same eh... "problem"... which is the mumbling of words when he has to formulate his own sentences.

When the Prince of Wales or his son have to read a speech: no problem. It is the thinking, the construction of corrrect sentences and the precaution with words which makes then mumbling, I think. When they speak, their brains are cracking, avoiding stupid words, avoiding sins against grammar and avoid traps and loopholes...

The Prince of Monaco has a stutter in French, when he has to speak and respond actively on questions. Reading a speech again is no problem. The Crown Prince of Denmark is often criticized for sloppy articulation, swallowing syllabes. He seems to have improved the latest years though.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic...the marriage of Charles and Camilla.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:57 PM
Commoner

Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles: The history of their perfect partnership

The history of Charles and Camilla's perfect partnership
Old 04-09-2015, 10:10 PM
Commoner

A lot of articles wishing them a happy 10th wedding Annivesary.

Prince Charles and Duchess of Cornwall celebrate wedding anniversary - hellomagazine.com

Happy anniversary! 10 years of Charles and Camilla in Wales - Wales Online

A happy 10th anniversary to Charles and Camilla from Royal Central

Happy 10th anniversary to the Prince of wales and the Duchess of Cornwall, from Teeyah.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:04 AM
Majesty

[...]
I think that Charles would not have rushed into marriage with Camilla but yes had Di not tragically died he would likely have married Cam sooner. The reaction to her death put his plans on hold.. and he waited for several years because of the public reaction, his own sons needing time to get over her death and also the RF needing time to get used to the idea. But had Diana been alive and been seen in other romances I think the public would have more quickly accepted Charles remarrying.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Honestly this would have been the best scenario had Diana lived. Her sons had been out of the house for years and would not be returning except for a few weeks out of the year for the coming years so yes she would have wanted to find companionship.
Dodi was Diana's first public romance, She had been cautious about being seen with other men.. and had waited till a while after her divorce.. so even had Dodi been a much more suitable person, Im not sure what would have happened.. would she have married him? but had he been a nice guy who wasn't an aimless playboy, she might have been seen with him for a time and then finally gotten engaged. I think she was keen to marry again, in spite of what she siad. She was lonely.. her sons were growing up and she had to share them with the RF... and she was rather on and off with her charity work... in the last year or 2. She had been hoping for the romance to work out with Khan.. and had only just given up on it...
Old 09-15-2020, 07:40 AM
Heir Apparent

I read that Charles decided to marry Camilla when he attended a wedding in Chester, and was not seated beside her. (The reason for his falling out with Hugh Van Cutsem).
It enraged Charles so he promptly married her.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I read that Charles decided to marry Camilla when he attended a wedding in Chester, and was not seated beside her. (The reason for his falling out with Hugh Van Cutsem).
It enraged Charles so he promptly married her.
He didn't "promptly marry her". He couldnt marry iwhtout his mother's permission as queen.. and he couldn't marry in any kind of haste.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
He didn't "promptly marry her". He couldnt marry iwhtout his mother's permission as queen.. and he couldn't marry in any kind of haste.
That wedding took place in Nov. 2004, and Charles married Camilla the following April.
I think that is prompt by royal standards.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:31 AM
Courtier

He wanted to have her by his side for years, even decades ... and he was for years working on the project to get her accepted by the public and his family
Old 09-15-2020, 10:40 AM
Majesty

Yes, there was a great deal of rehabilitative work done in the years after Diana's death to get Camilla accepted by the public, but I do think that the van Cutsem wedding seating arrangements were a spur. Charles and Camilla became engaged in the following February after the wedding, and it seems Charles was very offended by Camilla not being able to sit with him.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:38 AM
Majesty

It may have been a factor in Charles deciding that now he was going to go ahead and marry her but it was hardly Charles being annoyed at the Cutsem wedding and hastening off to the registry office a few weeks later. He had wanted to marry Cam for a long time...
Old 09-15-2020, 12:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Actually, I'm not sure that Charles would have remarried at all if Diana had lived. As mentioned, he would have had to get permission from the Queen to marry again and she may have balked at the idea.

The reason? Once Diana died, Charles was effectively a widower in the eyes of the Church of England. The Queen may have seen it that Charles still had a living wife in the eyes of the Church and as Charles would one day be the head of the Church of England, she may of withheld her consent

One might say that Camilla also had a living husband when she remarried (remember they only had a blessing after the civil wedding) but a factor than might have been that Andrew Parker Bowles was a Catholic.

Or maybe things would have gone exactly like they did. We'll never really know but I do think a remarriage for Charles would have been much more complicated had Diana lived.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Actually, I'm not sure that Charles would have remarried at all if Diana had lived. As mentioned, he would have had to get permission from the Queen to marry again and she may have balked at the idea.

The reason? Once Diana died, Charles was effectively a widower in the eyes of the Church of England. The Queen may have seen it that Charles still had a living wife in the eyes of the Church and as Charles would one day be the head of the Church of England, she may of withheld her consent

One might say that Camilla also had a living husband when she remarried (remember they only had a blessing after the civil wedding) but a factor than might have been that Andrew Parker Bowles was a Catholic.

Or maybe things would have gone exactly like they did. We'll never really know but I do think a remarriage for Charles would have been much more complicated had Diana lived.
No it wouldn't. The queen didn't like the idea but if the public were in favour of it, or at least tolerated it... of course she would eventually have to give way, because it was hardly a good idea for the future King to be with a woman whom he was just living with.
And the public were mainly cool on the idea because of Diana's being mourned. If it was 5 years after the divorce and Diana had remarried or gone through a series of boyfriends, I don't think the public would care two hoots if Charles married his steady girlfriend...
Old 09-16-2020, 10:01 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

The Queen would not have quibbled about a royal funeral if Diana had been married to Charles at the time of her death. The Queen would not have allowed the SPencers to bury her at their estate had Charles been the widower.

Charles was not a widower. That was floated about some years ago and debunked. The thing is that he and Camilla would have had two ex spouses still living. If Charles had been a widower, DIana would not have lost her HRH and would have been married to Charles when she died which she wasn't. I understand the Church had relaxed its stance on divorce when Charles and Diana divorced. Charles could not have been seen in public with Camilla had he still been "married" to Diana. Diana could not have gone public dating Dodi if she had been "married" to Charles. And if there were no recognized divorce Charles would not have given DIana that large divorce settlement.

I think it would have been more complicated for Charles to remarry. It could have been that DIana would have remarried before CHarles had she lived.

Camilla and APB still went through a ceremony, a Catholic Ceremony and no matter what he was a living ex husband. LIke Diana would have been a living ex wife.

The Church never made any announcement that they did not recognize Charles' divorce from Diana. They did recognize it.

There would have been no debate about the nature of Diana's Church Funeral Service had Charles been her widower. Nor would she have been buried on the Spencer Estate.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
No it wouldn't. The queen didn't like the idea but if the public were in favour of it, or at least tolerated it... of course she would eventually have to give way, because it was hardly a good idea for the future King to be with a woman whom he was just living with.
And the public were mainly cool on the idea because of Diana's being mourned. If it was 5 years after the divorce and Diana had remarried or gone through a series of boyfriends, I don't think the public would care two hoots if Charles married his steady girlfriend...

I agree that within five years or so of the divorce that the public would have accepted Charles and Camilla marrying. Likewise I believe that the public would have also been accepting of Diana remarrying as well.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:11 AM
Majesty

The event that changed that possible scenario was of course Diana's tragic death at 36. It was not possible for Charles to remarry before he did (and employed Bolland to rehabilitate reputations somewhat) due to the public sympathy for his dead ex wife.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I agree that within five years or so of the divorce that the public would have accepted Charles and Camilla marrying. Likewise I believe that the public would have also been accepting of Diana remarrying as well.
of course there was the issue of the Queen Mother. I am not sure, thinking it over, probably he still would have waited till the QM passed away...

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, marriage, prince charles, prince of wales