Charles and Camilla: The Marriage (2005 and on)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with you. Their private lives are something that will always remain just that... private.

Yes, I think we can all do without knowing any more than assaulted our ears in the past about their private activities, n'est pas?

You might think that we don't need to hear about there private lives, but the press think differently.
They think we should know what we are paying for.

You might think that we don't need to hear about there private lives, but the press think differently.
They think we should know what we are paying for.

As Charles private income supports himself and Camilla, except for when he is on official duties where the government wants him to do something and thus the government picks up the tab (as they do for politicians and diplomats) it really is none of the public's business.

The problem is that the vast majority of people don't actually understand how the Queen and Charles are funded - e.g. that they have a private income from the Duchies but can't touch the capital only the earnings of that capital, which is their basic income.

Whileever the press keeps telling the public the lies about the funding of the royal family and implying that all of the family are supported from taxpayers rather than the vast majority of their income coming from their private estates, the public will continue to believe that they have rights which they don't have.

These are one of the better messages I've ever read about this issue. Even those who loved - and loves Diana - deeply, could not help the fact she is now dead and that Charles married Camilla for good. They seems happy enough together and I think they would remain this way. Yellow press is always ready to make up false news about them :bang: But who could believe these rumors? They've turned to be all faked, so I don't believe in them any more.

Vanesa.

I don't know. I think the story is probably a rumor, but the sad truth is that too many marriage break-up rumors are proved right eventually. I was looking at a discussion recently about a popular sports couple who are divorcing. For months before their split, there had been rumors that they were separated, and most people refused to believe them. The comments were similar to the ones here...yellow press, false news, etc. Except the news turned out to be true eventually.

Then you have couples like Al and Tipper Gore who are divorcing. And just yesterday I read an article about how late-life divorces are increasing. Sometimes, no matter how long a couple have been together or how much they put on a show of unity in public, their marriage is actually not working in private.

I'm not saying Charles and Camilla have marriage problems, but I'm not saying they don't, either. I don't think ultimately anyone would ever know if they were living separate lives--like someone else said, it would be like the Duke and Duchess of Kent. Charles and Camilla will never divorce...that would be a TOTAL PR disaster for Charles. ;)

There is always the possibility that negative stories in the press help the couple see the cracks in their marriage. While things are good when the first story appears, the added pressure of seeing their partner's faults through the media can help break down the marriage.

Why I feel the need to bring this up idk but since we're on the subject *sigh*
Why Charles and Camilla are now living such separate lives | Mail Online

From the article

When the Duchess of Cornwall left Scotland and travelled south with a broken leg in plaster the other week, she chose to recuperate not at Highgrove, the marital home she shares with the Prince of Wales, but at Raymill House, her own home 17 miles away.

Three years ago, when she left hospital after a hysterectomy, she did exactly the same thing.

Most married women will find it very strange that a wife should eschew the warmth and helping hand of her husband at such a difficult time, but then, this is a very strange marriage.

So they are saying because she prefers to stay at her house and how she is apparently untidy and she finds royal life horrible and that Highgrove is "starchy", they are living separate lives. :bang:

The commitment, in fact, was the christening.

The Family commitment that kept her from meeting the Sarkozy's was a christening, possible the twin boys?

From the article

So they are saying because she prefers to stay at her house and how she is apparently untidy and she finds royal life horrible and that Highgrove is "starchy", they are living separate lives. :bang:

Reminds me of the old nursery rhyme:

Jack Sprat
Could eat no fat,
His wife could eat no lean;
And so,
Betwixt them both,
They licked the platter clean.

Most married couples I know of, and also from personal experience, find out after living together for a while that the other will have ways and idiosyncrasies that will just drive the other partner nuts. He likes the windows open in dead winter, she likes 3 blankets and the room at a summer temperature. He believes the floor is where you hang up your clothes, She gets upset when her spices aren't in alphabetical order. That kind of thing. What I'm seeing here (using American TV as an example) is Camilla is more of a Roseanne who is marries to Charles the obsessive/compulsive Monk type.

Most couples don't have the choices the PoW and the Duchess of Cornwall do. They can maintain their own households and do with them what they want to feel comfortable in. Its a case of "honey... I love you but living with you drives me nuts". The way things are, both of them have their breathing space which I would imagine makes when they DO get together, they can really enjoy each other.

As for duties, since becoming the Duchess of Cornwall, I think Camilla has done hers with grace and warmth. She has a natural way of getting along with people and also has a way about her that makes Charles feel more secure and relaxed himself.

The Family commitment that kept her from meeting the Sarkozy's was a christening, possible the twin boys?

Yes.. it was stated it was the christening of Laura's twins. As a grandmother myself, that would be top on my list of priorities too.

And so it goes.... that's my 2 cents worth. Now as my hubby is working a long day today... I've got hours to go through and gather up more for the garbage man to haul... I live with a packrat. :bang:

Why I feel the need to bring this up idk but since we're on the subject *sigh*
Why Charles and Camilla are now living such separate lives | Mail Online

If the arrangement between them works fine, then there really ought to be no reason for anybody to complain. Recognising that they were nearly 60 by the time they married, it is only fair they are reasonably set in their ways, and as they are fortunate enough to have their own space, they should be entitled to enjoy it!

I think it is fair that Camilla missed the brief meeting with the Sarkozy's for her grandchildrens christening - unfortunate clash, but so be it!

Lets move on, this is hardly going to be heading for divorce.

I do think they tend to lead separate lives now ... not in the sense of breaking up but Charles likes his own solitude ... Camilla has her 5 grandchildren so they sort of lead independent lives, not in each others pockets. That is probably why it works out to a certain extent. Camilla knows if she becomes Queen Consort she will have to take a higher profile of engagements, and pottering about in her garden every other day will not be an option and she knows it. If she wanted that she should have remained plain Camilla Parker-Bowles and not remarried.

I don't believe for one minute the Duke and Duchess of Windsor was the great love story it was made out to be.

Also it is common knowledge that Katherine, Duchess of Kent has been living a separate life from the Duke of Kent for years ... they never divorced but the marriage ended years ago. They married in June 1961, sad really! A book came out about it and it was accepted that they would never divorce to avoid further embarrassment to the Queen.

Going back to Charles and Camilla I think they are happy leading their own separate lives but still enjoying each ether's company whenever they meet up and get together again.

daily mail article on the marriage.

From the article

It is not that strange that a woman after such a major surgery would want to be in peace and quiet and surrounded by female family members. Most men are not just that good when it comes to illness-changing bedpans and pads etc. Some are. Prince Charles does not strike me as the type who can do home health nursing. That doesn't mean he is not a good and caring husband -people have different strengths. This does not make for a "strange marriage".

It seems that HighGrove has become over the years a country business office-there's a store, tours of the gardens-it is very beautiful in photos but is it really a relaxing place. Same for Clarence House.

The public does not know if Prince Charles goes with her to Raymill when he is not at work. It really is nobody's business.

It is interesting that most of the negative comments in the Daily Mail were regarding the taxpayer's part of security of Prince Charles/Camilla 's home and not the usual anti Camilla remarks (there were a few).

I've noticed that a lot of the negative comments regarding all members of the Royal Family these days relates to their expenses. This is not unusual giving the poor economy. People everywhere are complaining about taxes and government expenditures.

But as for the marriage, it can be very difficult for two people who marry late in life to get used to each other's habits and merge their two lifestyles. It's not unusual that we may be seeing some of this, even if it's the Daily Mail reporting it.

One thing that did catch my attention is that Charles hasn't embraced having Camilla's grandchildren over at Highgrove because he likes his peace and quiet. Maybe he'll change his tune when William and Harry give him grandchildren to play with!

...I think they are happy leading their own separate lives but still enjoying each ether's company whenever they meet up and get together again.
Well said. And I see nothing wrong with this. Whatever pleases them.
Besides, we should never forget they're both mature people that didn't get married in their 20s.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that did catch my attention is that Charles hasn't embraced having Camilla's grandchildren over at Highgrove because he likes his peace and quiet. Maybe he'll change his tune when William and Harry give him grandchildren to play with!

I don't see that happening. Charles himself had a rather austere and formal childhood and I think it was mostly Diana that was the hands on person with Wills and Harry.
Some men are just like that though.

article

I don't see that happening. Charles himself had a rather austere and formal childhood and I think it was mostly Diana that was the hands on person with Wills and Harry.

I think that he was hands on with his boys.
Laura PB seems to like to be out of the public eye (compared to her brother), so we don't know how often Prince Charles spends time with her children. Same goes for Tom's kids.

But Sthreats, Tom Parker Bowles by writing books etc NEEDS to be visible by the public, his livelihood depends on it !
Anyway I would so much love to see the twins !

But Sthreats, Tom Parker Bowles by writing books etc NEEDS to be visible by the public, his livelihood depends on it !
Anyway I would so much love to see the twins !

It was not a negative comment re Tom.

This is a tricky one for me. I'm a Diana fan so this is tricky subject but I've thought about it for while now and here are my two cents on this whole thing is I wouldn't doubt the story but I def think them living apart doesn't necessarily mean separation. From everything I heard the palaces do seem a bit stuffy and I can understand where Camilla is coming from. Also I wouldn't doubt Charles might be picky with certain things. Also he's never seemed the type of person who was able to take care of someone else, just judging from everything I've read. BUT I don't think anything from the article points to separation they're just doing what they need to do in order to get on, if that means Camilla every once in a while just getting away going back home to where she's used to living then that's fine. You do what you need to do no questions asked.

Perhaps Camilla is realising what Diana always said that Charles was selfish and a little bit cold as a husband???? Diana and Camilla both strike me as warm women and Charles is lucky to have them.

Well here my pennies regarding the situation:

The whole thing strikes me as odd but I can see a bit of truth in it but then again, Who cares?! Besides us, I mean.

I can certainly see and understand if Camilla is having trouble adjusting to life in the fishbowl. Living on the outside the fishbowl is a big difference then living inside one. I can also see how both Charles and Camilla can have trouble adjusting to "married" life. Its quite different to date someone and basically live with them and share their life then become married. You can't just go home (even though Camilla has her own place). Basically I mean you just cant walk away. I can also understand why she would want her own place for her family to visit and just be her.

All those things aside, as the Duchess of Windsor once said (and I am paraphrasing) its hard living the Romance of the Century 24/7.

A lot of people say that but a couple of images come to mind that would suggest othewise notably to me was Harry down at the flowers outside Balmoral and he reached back without looking and Charles hand was there (sure something could have been said) but it looked natural to me - a son seeking the loving comfort of his remaining parent. There are also the scenes of the boys and Charles romping together on the lawns at Highgrove in the Dimbleby interview. Another one I have read is that scene of Diana embracing boys as they ran up the gangplank stops rolling before the equally effusive greeting is given to Charles and by Charles (it was Richard Kay I think where I read that). Charles was less demonstrative in public than Diana but I do get the impression that once the real baby stage was passed he was very hands on with them - as much as Diana but in private.

I remember most of the incidents you are referring to too.
In no way was I referring to the fact that Charles isn't and wasn't a loving father to the boys. He most certainly is and is close with both of his sons.

There was a remark in the article where it was stated that Charles doesn't care for the noise and mess that little ones can cause. Many men, my ex husband included, really don't get involved with their children until they get more "people" like and past the baby stages.
This is one reason I think Camilla feels more "at home" with her grandchildren at Ray Mill and they can be themselves without worrying about upsetting Charles or Highgrove. I'm sure Charles will make an excellent grampa to Wills and Harry's children but don't see him letting his hair down and loving the antics and mess that comes with children of a very small size. :)

Its true that all his life Charles has had people look out for him and there never was a time where he was required to look out for anyone else than himself. I do recall recently though pictures of Camilla in a wheelchair being pushed by Charles at some event. He very easily could have passed that job onto someone else but he didn't. He genuinely cares for and loves Camilla but I've often read too how much he loves his solitude so I think this arrangement that they have works excellent for the two of them.

If the premise of this article is right then William and Harry should be looking for other partners as well.

They are only creating articles on Charles and Camilla because William and Harry aren't doing anything that exciting.

It seems to me that these marital troubles articles are just a lot more entertaining for the media than reporting on the actual work that Charles and Camilla do! I've been noticing recently that there's less coverage of public engagements by the couple unless editors can work in a shot of someone looking uncomfortable.

And that last article really seem to be about Charles and Camilla at all! It was just convenient to use them as an example.

I am no fan of Camilla-far from it-but I will defend her and the position she seems to be in here...by all accounts the Prince of Wales is not an easy man to live with...Camilla to her credit has fought to maintain her independence and her ties to her old life, especially her children and grand-children.

I think thats wonderful, good for her!

And as another poster has pointed out, these are not starry eyed young people we are discussing..they are a couple in middle-age who have been together many years, who know one another well, and who have settled into a way of life that works for both of them.

I would be surprised if there was any truth to the DM story at all.

Back
Top Bottom