Charles and Camilla - The Early Years (1970s)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there proof positive that she did it fact say that, or, is it just another urban legend? :ermm:

The quote has been made up, presumably because it is considered more 'amusing' than the reality that she apparently commented on what a fine polo pony he was riding. Camilla herself denied the comment c.2005 when she was asked by the biographer and media commentator Gyles Brandreth - but he chose to ignore it, probably because nowadays journalists can't be bothered to do any research and prefer to put together a whole string of previous press cuttings as Jonathan Dimbleby discovered. Incidentally she also denied that she first met Prince Charles in 1970 at Windsor Great Park, which tends to suggest that my preferred date of meeting in May/June 1972 when the Prince was on a naval course only a few miles from Camilla's grandmother's house in Hampshire is probably nearer the mark.

Incidentally she also denied that she first met Prince Charles in 1970 at Windsor Great Park, which tends to suggest that my preferred date of meeting in May/June 1972 when the Prince was on a naval course only a few miles from Camilla's grandmother's house in Hampshire is probably nearer the mark.

I never heard or read the suggestion of their having met at Windsor. Reading between the lines of Dimbleby's account, I assumed (perhaps wrongly) they met at Broadlands, which happens to be in Hampshire, so maybe it accords with your view.

The Dowager Duchess of Devonshire (Deborah) told James Lees Milne, Charles and Camilla met at Chatsworth. It was in his book "Ceaseless Turmoil". I have always believed it since she are good friends with them.

The Dowager Duchess of Devonshire (Deborah) told James Lees Milne, Charles and Camilla met at Chatsworth. It was in his book "Ceaseless Turmoil". I have always believed it since she are good friends with them.

I think Milne is the famous diarist. Where is Chatsworth in relation to Portsmouth and what year would this have been?

I think Milne is the famous diarist. Where is Chatsworth in relation to Portsmouth and what year would this have been?
Chatsworth is in the High Peak, Derbyshire. The distance between the two is approx 226 - 250 miles and takes approx 4 to 5 hours depending on traffic:)cool:). Portsmouth is in the far South of the country, Derbyshire is just above the Midlands.

I agree that the first time Charles and Camilla met was around 1972 summer. I still think the formal introducer was Lucia Santa Cruz who was Charles' unversity girlfriend. Either a party or the polo ground or any other occasion, I have no certain idea.

Alice have you never heard about the notorious 'Your G G Grand father and my G Grand mother we're lovers, so how about it?' pick up line at polo?

^ i havent heard that... and i dont understand what it means :ermm:

Camilla's great grandmother, Alice Keppel, was a mistress of Edward VII. The story goes that Camilla used that pick-up line when she first met Charles and that he was quite amused. ;)

One of the greatest pick up lines in history if you ask me! Gotta love our Camz

I like to assume its true. Too delicious not to!

Amused or aroused?

.lol. scooter you devilish person you...:D;)

You really don't care for her much at all do you? Or if I am ill informed, then by all means correct me.

She seems perfectly lovely to me. But that's just me...:)

Actually if it did occur in that sense, I see the quip being said by a person that would make a person feel at ease at first meeting. No curtsy and "your highness" or giggles but a straight faced quip. I am willing to bet that this was an icebreaker that would have brought giggles to both of their faces at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the line is true I totally agree and if Camilla Parker was and is related to Alice Keppel so what?I think she maybe the only one that cares. Did she have to use that power by association "line" to introduce herself if allegedly true?
Actually if it did occur in that sense, I see the quip being said by a person that would make a person feel at ease at first meeting. No curtsy and "your highness" or giggles but a straight faced quip. I am willing to bet that this was an icebreaker that would have brought giggles to both of their faces at the time.
Just how it would make one feel at ease is beyond me.... I think it is a bit much and would have had the opposite effect. I for one would have started to back away from Mila slowly..... if the line is true.....jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
Just how it would make one feel at ease is beyond me.... I think it is a bit much and would have had the opposite effect. I for one would have started to back away from Mila slowly..... if the line is true.....jmo

Its just my opinion but over the decades I've read and heard that as a younger man Charles was actually quite shy. Seeing as they met at a polo field, I would imagine that this is when they were kind of formally introduced but I would bet a dollar to donuts that they actually were aware of each other long before this took place. I really don't know the timelines but I've read that Princess Anne was friends/dating Andrew Parker Bowles around this time so my conclusion is that when Camilla said that to Charles she wasn't totally unknown to him but rather when the press/media first noticed them together.

Regardless... its been known forever that Camilla is an "earthy" type. As someone else has mentioned on these forums, she enjoys a good walk with the dogs, a good meal and a stiff drink. Actually with this quip she was supposedly had made, she kind of reminds me in a way of the Duke of Edinburgh... :whistling:

I think thats the reason her and the DoE get along quite nicely. Plus, Camilla's one-liner was very British humour and something that I think would have made Charles chuckle and loosen up in my mind. I know I would be enamoured if someone was ballsy enough to pull off a line like that.

A reminder that name-calling posts have been and will continue to be removed.

Warren
Brtitish Forums moderator

Is it true, Prince Charles wanted to marry Camilla (before her first marriage) but the palace said no?

Is it true, Prince Charles wanted to marry Camilla (before her first marriage) but the palace said no?

The evidence suggests that he would have married her in the 1970s but was advised to look around more and that she was more 'mistress material' than wife material (allegedly said by Lord Mountbatten who was still hoping that one of his granddaughters would marry Charles at that stage). As Charles never formally asked Camilla at that time he wouldn't have asked the Queen for permission either so there would have been no 'no' about it.

Even if the Queen had said 'no' in say 1972 when he was 24 he would only have had to wait another year and then get parliament's approval as once over 25 there is a second course of action if the monarch says no.

Camilla, however, was more interested in Andrew Parker-Bowles.

I don't think it was the palace that said no, it was Camilla.

I thought Charles dithered, and never asked Camilla.

I think it was a combination of dithering and also asking some people and being advised against it. He therefore didn't follow his heart - unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom