Charles & Camilla: How has your opinion changed since the wedding?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it's my understanding that complete arrangements are already in place for the Senior Royals at least and always have been

It's been 10 years and my memory is hazy. I still have all the newspapers from that awful week but they are packed at my son's (and probably going yellow and motheaten I didn't preserve them in any way) but did they actually use the QM's funeral plans as a guide or was that a flight of fancy ( like many of them lol) for the movie? Having said that I thought the movie was very well done and have always loved Dame Helen Mirren right from when I saw her in Prime Suspect.

It wouldn't have been inconceivable. The original procession route for Diana (before being extended out to Kensington Palace) was the Queen Mother's two processions combined, and both funerals were in Westminster Abbey. From a logistical standpoint, it would have made sense.

Happy Charles

Since he married Camilla Duchess of Cornwall I haven't seen any miserable photos of him unless there is a serious ceremony that he has to attend then he is serious otherwise he is pretty cheery. I was and still a Princess Diana freak but we all have our faults and I have read a few books about her and she has already claimed that she was no saint that we all made her out to be. It does take two to break up a marriage and she also claimed that she will only be blamed for half. I have grown use to seen Camilla around in the news and she is doing good and I think people should give her a chance.:whistling:

Since he married Camilla Duchess of Cornwall I haven't seen any miserable photos of him unless there is a serious ceremony that he has to attend then he is serious otherwise he is pretty cheery. I was and still a Princess Diana freak but we all have our faults and I have read a few books about her and she has already claimed that she was no saint that we all made her out to be. It does take two to break up a marriage and she also claimed that she will only be blamed for half. I have grown use to seen Camilla around in the news and she is doing good and I think people should give her a chance.:whistling:
You know, that's a very nice way of looking at things! :flowers:

As she was Mrs. Parker-Bowles for approx. 30 years; mother and now grandmother of two children I find it difficult to accept her as HRH the Duchess of Cornwall no matter how much I try.When I see her in those huge tiaras I'm afraid the first thought that springs to mind is along the lines of " Oh, there is Mrs. P-B in a huge tiara trying really hard to look Royal. Dosn't she look silly? " I'm afraid that after so many years of being mistress to the POW I'll never be able to look on her as being a true Royal.

Do you mean to say that if she'd married the Prince back in the 1970s she wouldn't look silly in a tiara now, but because she didn't marry him until after being his mistress for many years, she does? How does her marital status over the last 30 years change the way she appears now?

hahaha i agree with you, and yeah how being the thing now if she being the princess of wales, oh no! tahts horrible, so doesn't exist william and harry

hahaha i agree with you, and yeah how being the thing now if she being the princess of wales, oh no! tahts horrible, so doesn't exist william and harry

Tom Parker Bowles and laura Lopes have turned out pretty well, so I guess we would be content anyway with the kids of Charles. But of course, I doubt there would be a thread concerning the paternity of one of these kids...;)

Basically because I can't take her seriously as a Royal the jewellry she wears, which is way over the top anyway IMO, looks ridiculous. It's as if it's being used to prove a point, to push the fact that she is now HRH rather than just for decorative purposes.

Last edited:
Basically because I can't take her seriously as a Royal the jewellry she wears, which is way over the top anyway IMO, looks ridiculous. It's as if it's being used to prove a point, to push the fact that she is now HRH rather than just for decorative purposes.
But isn't that the point of wearing a tiara, to show that you are Royal, a HRH. Isn't that why at galas, Royal weddings etc only the Royals wear them - because they are the Royals? :confused:

I don't have a problem with Camilla wearing a tiara, or a tiara and a necklace. What I do find "tacky", though, is a big tiara, a big necklace, and too much cleavage. Two out of three would perhaps be manageable. Camilla's daywear is quite appropriate, but she often looks over-the-top in the evening.

But isn't that the point of wearing a tiara, to show that you are Royal, a HRH. Isn't that why at galas, Royal weddings etc only the Royals wear them - because they are the Royals? :confused:

So what you do think of the "reports" that Prince Charles is as hard to please as ever? And that Camilla can no longer appease him as she used to? Is Prince Charles really that difficult? Or it's just the media painting these pictures of him?

So what you do think of the "reports" that Prince Charles is as hard to please as ever? And that Camilla can no longer appease him as she used to? Is Prince Charles really that difficult? Or it's just the media painting these pictures of him?

We can only judge by the pictures we see - and if you folow Charles and Camilla closely, you'll see that in most pics they are happy and relaxed with each other. It's even better if TV reports about them , as there you can see their interaction and body language and this speaks for absolute trust, good companionship and shared fun. Okay, there are occassional pics where they look tired but that is normal on such a tour and these pics are scarce compared to the others.

Why the media brings this up? Because the Diana-inquest is about to close and then they have nothing to report on the Diana front, thus starting to try to build up new reportable "intrigues" with Charles and Camilla. :flowers:

I don't have a problem with Camilla wearing a tiara, or a tiara and a necklace. What I do find "tacky", though, is a big tiara, a big necklace, and too much cleavage. Two out of three would perhaps be manageable. Camilla's daywear is quite appropriate, but she often looks over-the-top in the evening.
Throughout history, the royal families have worn large and expensive tiaras and jewellery. The only difference between Camilla and most women, bearing in mind the current fashion for large pieces, is that hers are the real thing. :D

... I agree and I especially don't like it when she overshadows HM which has happened on a few occasions. Might not be Camilla's fault but I don't think it looks appropriate.

... I agree and I especially don't like it when she overshadows HM which has happened on a few occasions. Might not be Camilla's fault but I don't think it looks appropriate.
It seems obvious to most people that Queen Elizabeth is a master strategist.

She's seen governments rise and fall, Prime Ministers from Churchill to Blair, represented her country at untold diplomatic summits, meetings, etc. Hosted Heads of State, presidential and royal for sixty years. I think she is more than qualified to determine what is and is not appropriate.

Camilla's entrance into the Royal Family has been facilitated primarily by HM, every step carefully choreographed and executed precisely as she has planned. Camilla's 'serious' royal jewelry owes everything to HM and HM alone. The 'gift' of the Delhi Durbar tiara with it's famous history and significance was a carefully staged event, whose message to all was unequivocal.

Camilla's appearance at the Commonwealth Heads of Government dinner wearing the Bucheron Honeycomb matched with exactly the same suite of jewels worn by Queen Elizabeth, the Queen mother speaks for it'self.

I, for one, am not going to second guess QEII. She has made her feelings about Charles and Camilla's place in the scheme of things clear as a bell.

I don't think anyone can upstage the Queen more than Diana's famous hairdo at the opening of Parliament which knocked the Queen's speech off the front pages of the majority of the newspapers.

I think the Queen is actually getting more coverage of her activities at events even when Camilla is present with her jewels.

I really don't have a real wrong with Camilla. She seems to hold her own and is a woman who knows that she isn't a well liked or well loved member of the BRF through her marriage to Charles. I also think she puts up chin and bears with all the criticism, both good and bad, and may rattle on after hearing some bad criticism just to get it off her chest. She knew coming into the marriage that her life is exposed and would be commented on. However, she is the one at the end of the day who is with her love. I think the marriage is going well and as expected.

I really don't have a real wrong with Camilla. She seems to hold her own and is a woman who knows that she isn't a well liked or well loved member of the BRF through her marriage to Charles.
I think Camilla realises that there will always be those that don't like her based on the accusations made in the past, but I also think she realises that very many people do like her and respect the dignity she has brought back to the role of wife to the heir.

Diana's hairdo

Ysbel,
Do you have a picture of Diana with the hairdo you mentioned? Or a link to look at? Being relatively new here I am not sure which picture you mean

Jewels do make a statement--the statement here is that The Duchess of Cornwall :duchyofcornwall:(also the Princess of Wales):walesflag: is the future Consort of the King :king::queen4:. QEII has deliberatly given Camilla distinctive pieces worn by previous Queen Consorts (Delhi Durbar, Honeycomb, assorted brooches and necklaces). So, I suppose you are correct that the jewels are being used to prove a point, but it goes beyond that. They are making a point--she is married to the heir to the throne, but that is not what the jewels themselves are signifiying--they are not just bling. They are being used to solidify her future role as the Queen Consort. This isn't just about wearing a tiara or a necklace--if that were the case Camilla already has a lovely family tiara and various necklaces that are quite beautiful. If it were just about wearing a tiara then the scroll or Marie Feodorovna's sapphire piece could have been polished and trotted out. No, it IS the tiara that makes the statement. The Delhi was made for Queen Mary for a most auspicious event--and the Boucheron is the signature piece of the late Queen Mum. Camilla will be a Queen Consort (even if she is known as Princess Consort) and as such she wears pieces worn by previous Queens. For the coronation she will wear a crown--hopefully the Queen Mum's (it would suit her). :crown9:
But, it appears that some posters think that a cardboard crown from Burger King is appropriate.

oops

Elspeth, Guess I really meant is.. in the states there is rarely any news about royal families. So a lot of times I feel behind on what is going on. Before I ever found this site I thought only Great Britian and Monaco still had royal families. ... So with saying that, thanks for the links from everyone of pictures for me to see.

As for Charles and Camilla... she is one gutsy lady for even attemping to take on the role she is now required to do. Charles is one man I think would be very hard to live with...just my opinion.

My heart goes out to Camilla and every other person who joins the Royal Family... I don't get that, except maybe with Edward, there is a depth of character in Charles, Andrew and Anne which deeply sympathizes with the transference of a private personality into that of a person/commodity who is now owned by the monarch for promotional efforts.

I don't regard Andrew as terribly "deep" but I do think that Charles is quite intelligent and also complex. I've always liked him, and sympathized with his situation, but since he married Camilla I have seen him emerge as someone who is much more relaxed, comfortable--in short, he is at ease with himself and others now. I really think they epitomize the essence of the word "team".

I've often thought Prince Charles was a 60 year old man trapped in a younger man's body...His complexity finally catches up with his chronological age.

He is a caring man but seems to have limits of understanding because he doesn't quite go out of the realm of his comfort zone with many people including Camilla.

Andrew, Anne and Charles haven't had the vision and softness Edward seems to have with his spouse in easing them into the rigors of public works. I can't imagine they have a clue on how it "feels" to suddenly have one's identity and time owned by the Crown.

I've often thought Prince Charles was a 60 year old man trapped in a younger man's body...His complexity finally catches up with his chronological age.

He is a caring man but seems to have limits of understanding because he doesn't quite go out of the realm of his comfort zone with many people including Camilla.

Andrew, Anne and Charles haven't had the vision and softness Edward seems to have with his spouse in easing them into the rigors of public works. I can't imagine they have a clue on how it "feels" to suddenly have one's identity and time owned by the Crown.
The difference between Edward and his siblings is that nothing was/is expected from him or his wife.

Charles' problems, IMO, stem from his caring too much. :flowers:

While I agree Prince Charles seems more comfortable with himself, married to Camilla Parker-Bowles, I would have some reticence still in considering the latter worthy of the role of Queen Consort, let alone be referred to as Princess of Wales. It's pushing the envelope of moral rectitude and it's a bit morbid actually, to appear to be elevated over a "dead body".
:ohmy:

Jewels do make a statement--the statement here is that The Duchess of Cornwall :duchyofcornwall:(also the Princess of Wales):walesflag: is the future Consort of the King :king::queen4:. QEII has deliberatly given Camilla distinctive pieces worn by previous Queen Consorts (Delhi Durbar, Honeycomb, assorted brooches and necklaces). So, I suppose you are correct that the jewels are being used to prove a point, but it goes beyond that. They are making a point--she is married to the heir to the throne, but that is not what the jewels themselves are signifiying--they are not just bling. They are being used to solidify her future role as the Queen Consort. This isn't just about wearing a tiara or a necklace--if that were the case Camilla already has a lovely family tiara and various necklaces that are quite beautiful. If it were just about wearing a tiara then the scroll or Marie Feodorovna's sapphire piece could have been polished and trotted out. No, it IS the tiara that makes the statement. The Delhi was made for Queen Mary for a most auspicious event--and the Boucheron is the signature piece of the late Queen Mum. Camilla will be a Queen Consort (even if she is known as Princess Consort) and as such she wears pieces worn by previous Queens. For the coronation she will wear a crown--hopefully the Queen Mum's (it would suit her). :crown9:
But, it appears that some posters think that a cardboard crown from Burger King is appropriate.

I think that the "problem" might be that the Queen is more restrained in her fashion and jewelry than her predecessors (who certainly thought more was better) and that makes Camilla look over the top. Although I still don't like that huge diamond necklace the Saudis gave Camilla. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom