Charles & Camilla: How has your opinion changed since the wedding?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is a matter of having moved on. Yes, the people loved Diana and she was their queen of hearts (to most people always will be), but she is not around anymore and doesn't 'stir the news' as such. Charles is obviously much happier now that he is married to Camilla and I think it shows. I believe that she gives him the backbone to properly carry out his tasks and equally that he is her sharing partner for the interests that she has.
In my eyes they are a very fitting couple and I believe that everyone, royal or not, should be able to live out their happily ever after when the right person for that is obviously around.
Call me naive, I prefer to name it romantic ;)

Last edited:
My opinion has really not changed. I still see Charles and Camilla as self-absorbed, but happy with each other. I, think, that they were meant for each other, unfortunately, they destroyed others in their love. Too, bad. Camilla looked like an unmade bed, until the wedding and makeover. There is nothing wrong with that. That is her due. She has little bearing, slumped over, making the jewels they bedeck her with, look like they are dragging her down. She is, most probably, a decent enough person. She is noted for her humor. All good qualities. I really have nothing against either one of them, but, the disstaff side, always has to throw rocks to raise these two up. So, there must be some discomfort there. Actually, you know who is dead, and they are alive and doing what they want. Nothing shall change that.

Here we go again, I get that feeling, etc, etc, etc....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

They make each other happy. Everyone deserves to be with someone you love. I do believe there is more than "1" person out there for everyone.
Charles and Diana were both incredibly immature and spiteful to each other during there marriage. I am sure it happen in all marriages that are breaking up. They had the misfortune of being in the public eye.
It seems as though, towards the end of Charles' life, he and Diana were on friendly terms and got along quite well.
I do think, that had Diana lived, Charles and Camilla still would have married eventually. The monarchy realizes it needs to evolve and it is (albeit, still rather slowly ;))
At the end of her life, I do think Diana had respect for Charles and he for her.
If Charles and Camilla make each other happy, and it appears they do, than great.

There are two articles in the January 2008 Majesty about the Uganda and Turkey visits. Strangely enough, both articles are written by a "Di-express" correspondent, one Richard Palmer. The one about Uganda expresses a lot of criticism about the Prince's regard for the Commonwealth in general. The one about Turkey is slightly less critical of him, but what is most interesting to me about this one are the pictures. I don't know if it was Palmer's intent to use loving pictures of the couple for his article, probably not, but that was the result. The pictures here show very strongly the genuine, mature love between Charles and Camilla. These are the kind of pictures that increase my liking of them as a couple, day by day. You can see the tenderness, the security, and the assurance and comfort between them. They display their love for each other in subtle ways, with a glance, a look in their eyes as if saying to each other in their silent way, "I know what you are thinking, and oh what fun this is because we can communicate this way and no one but us knows." :wub:

It is touching that they love each other and care for each other. It is a very important thing and to not recognize that is silly. They have a great love. That is wonderful. What amazes me is those that are very critical of Diana, will say "here we go again", if anything uncomplimentary are said about the "Golden Couple". The sword cuts both ways.

My opinion has really not changed. I still see Charles and Camilla as self-absorbed, but happy with each other. I, think, that they were meant for each other, unfortunately, they destroyed others in their love. Too, bad. Camilla looked like an unmade bed, until the wedding and makeover. There is nothing wrong with that. That is her due. She has little bearing, slumped over, making the jewels they bedeck her with, look like they are dragging her down. She is, most probably, a decent enough person. She is noted for her humor. All good qualities. I really have nothing against either one of them, but, the disstaff side, always has to throw rocks to raise these two up. So, there must be some discomfort there. Actually, you know who is dead, and they are alive and doing what they want. Nothing shall change that.

Regarding the Duchess of Cornwall's jewels dragging her down, I most respectfully refer you to this website, which has wonderful photos of wear wearing most of the pieces we have seen:
Cornwall

I have to say that as much as I love her in the tiaras, my favorite pieces she wears are the emerald brooches and the emerald drop earrings--magnificant!
Also, I don't think it is really fair to say that Charles and Camilla "destroyed others in their love"--that seems to be a bit harsh; remember, remember, Diana did not exactly make it a happy home, either. Also, after their separation and divorce, Charles and Diana appeared to be on good enough terms--so in the end, Diana's choices destroyed her life.

Regarding my opinion of Camilla--I've always liked her for multiple reasons, but for me, it comes down to this. Diana was glamourous and exciting--magnetic and she was smart to use it to her advantage to cultivate a well crafted public personna--and many people only remember that public personna--not who she was a total person. Camilla has always been Camilla--in all honesty, I think we can all agree on that. There is not pretention about her--what you see is what you get. She doesn't court public opinion or the papers--she is the same person day in and day out--constant as the night. Also, she sees her role as being supportive to Charles, whereas Diana wanted to outshine Charles. There is an comfortable ease between the two of them that I admire greatly!

I think Camilla is perfect for Charles; she is from a good family, had a good education, they share the same hobbies, she can walk a step behind his husband if it's necessary, she can represent glamorously the Royal House; what else does she needs?
Of course she's made mistakes in her private life-who hasn't?

I am interested in the Royal Families not because their private lives and "dirty little secrets" but their Royal life.
It would be magnificent if they had an immaculate private life, too...but I guess it is too much to ask for....

Regarding my opinion of Camilla--I've always liked her for multiple reasons, but for me, it comes down to this. Diana was glamourous and exciting--magnetic and she was smart to use it to her advantage to cultivate a well crafted public personna--and many people only remember that public personna--not who she was a total person. Camilla has always been Camilla--in all honesty, I think we can all agree on that. There is not pretention about her--what you see is what you get. She doesn't court public opinion or the papers--she is the same person day in and day out--constant as the night. Also, she sees her role as being supportive to Charles, whereas Diana wanted to outshine Charles. There is an comfortable ease between the two of them that I admire greatly!

This is beautiful, Janet. I think you have put into words how a lot of people feel about Camilla. I know that I feel this way, although I couldn't put it into these words before.

Too, bad. Camilla looked like an unmade bed, until the wedding and makeover...... What amazes me is those that are very critical of Diana, will say "here we go again", if anything uncomplimentary are said about the "Golden Couple".
I put the comment, (my name is shown with my avatar to the top left of each post I make), because normally when other (generic) posters make such unfounded, derogatory comments, the thread goes into a meltdown and back to the old, old, C/C/D argument. :rolleyes: If I put that Diana dressed like an old slapper, based on a couple of 'not so good pictures', then I would expect anyone with any sense of fair play, to come to her defence. Whilst I never found Diana to be 'pretty' or 'attractive', I have never made such a comment based on any 'not nice pictures and there are quite a few, IMO.

You stated that Camilla looked like an unmade bed before the wedding and makeover, do you have many pictures to prove that or is it based on the few 'biased' pictures the media published? Just because the media only published a few carefully chosen unglamourous pictures, don't believe that Camilla didn't look stunning when she dressed for an occasion and very much OK for a trip to the shops!

Most women here don't wear full warpaint out riding in the countryside or for a quick trip to buy bread!

Last edited:
^ True, true. The "unmade bed" an exaggeration. In any case, Camilla basically dresses the same way she always has done. The differences are that she is more polished, with better makeup and hair always fixed nicely (and the jewels of course). But if think about it, she actually dresses the same way she always did, for all kinds of occasions. And whenever she dresses casually for country pursuits, she still looks very neat. I mean to say, she never looks messy. I never, ever remember seeing Camilla looking messy, and I am thinking of her in the 90s in all manner of situations. The "unmade bed" makes me think messy, and I never would describe Camilla as messy.

My opinion on Camilla has never really changed. I've always seen her as a great lady, being nice to everyone and making Charles happy. I admire her for the dignity she has kept while her image was torn apart. I'll never have the same "affection" for her that the one I have for Diana but I don't mean I've got less, it's just too different to compare. Moreover, trying to compare both is pointless and leads to useless "Princess Battles" :D.

Just because the media only published a few carefully chosen unglamourous pictures, don't believe that Camilla didn't look stunning when she dressed for an occasion and very much OK for a trip to the shops!

Just like her mother-in-law - the queen does not look overly polished when she is photographed our riding or visiting her stables at Sandringham. The next day in church we see a different lady... what's so astonishing about it?

Actually, her friends have said she was untidy and you could would never know if she had "clean knickers", I assume panties on. She, in pictures I have seen, in magazines, looked unkempt. I am sure, if she went to a ball or dinner she cleaned up. I don't believe fashion was her forte. It still isn't. She looks fine most of the time. The hats are often too big, some of her clothing in not well thought out. What she wore to the 60th Wedding Services was plain awful. I know she takes critcism for her hair, but I think it looks very nice. Her posture is poor, so is mine, and I now, at my age notice that that does make a difference. She looks older than her 60 years, smoking did her no favor. It ruins the face. I have no problem with her in general. I doubt that she looked stunning when she dressed as Skydragon asserts, as she doesn't look stunning on any occassion. She looks nice, but stunning is not Camilla.

^ HTF do her friends know about her panties, and why did they comment on them to be quoted in the media? And how does wearing big-brim hats equate being messy? I am under the impression that her preference for hats has to do with her personal style, i.e. what she likes to wear. But a big-brim hat hardly makes her messy.

Well fashion is all about taste so some people will like, others won't. The most important is how YOU want to dress. If Camilla makes her own choices, that's revealing of her capacity to decide alone and being independent.

Actually, her friends have said she was untidy and you could would never know if she had "clean knickers", I assume panties on.

Do you have aquote for that? What kind of friends? Or was that Diana who spread this kind of information?

Do you have aquote for that? What kind of friends? Or was that Diana who spread this kind of information?

Well if Diana has spread this rumour it would have also meant that she had spent enough time with Camilla to know it and thus being at least aware that there was actually an affair going on with Charles so it would have destroyed the "ignorance-of-being-cheated-on" theory she had created. Moreover, I believe that if Diana had done it, it would have definitely been in Richard Kay's article :D.

Actually, her friends have said she was untidy and you could would never know if she had "clean knickers", I assume panties on.
Which friends would that be, as it is well known that none of Camilla's friends speak to the media. Even Jilly didn't have or make such personal observations and she is the only 'friend' who has, with permission from Charles and Camilla given any interview or made any statement.

I am presuming you have a link to the friends statement, even the ubiquitous 'unnamed friend'. :rolleyes:
She, in pictures I have seen, in magazines, looked unkempt. I am sure, if she went to a ball or dinner she cleaned up.
Carefully chosen pictures to ensure she was not seen at her best. Although I have to say it was always Camillas choice not to notify the media where she was going to be, when she was looking good, IMO.
I don't believe fashion was her forte. It still isn't. She looks fine most of the time. The hats are often too big, some of her clothing in not well thought out. What she wore to the 60th Wedding Services was plain awful. I know she takes critcism for her hair, but I think it looks very nice. Her posture is poor, so is mine, and I now, at my age notice that that does make a difference. She looks older than her 60 years, smoking did her no favor. It ruins the face. I have no problem with her in general. I doubt that she looked stunning when she dressed as Skydragon asserts, as she doesn't look stunning on any occassion. She looks nice, but stunning is not Camilla.
Fashion may not have been her 'forte', but classic style is so much better in the long run. Ask most people how much amusement the family get from looking through their 'fashion' disasters. :lol: I like a lot of her hats, one or two are a little OTT, until I get used to them and want one myself. I expect I am biased as I am a hat wearer myself, as are a lot of my friends and while I don't wear anything with a massive brim to the shops, I do wear them to garden parties, gala's and the like.

I know very many 50 - 60 year olds and Camilla looks a damn site better than the majority of them, with or without makeup and certainly without the aid of Botox or surgery. (I of course still look 21, :D) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as we know, but Camilla has never been short of admirers, male and female and it would be wrong to base anything on whether somebody photographs well. I stand by my stunning remark. :flowers:

Last edited:
SNIPPED -
Fashion may not have been her 'forte', but classic style is so much better in the long run. Ask most people how much amusement the get from looking through their 'fashion' disasters. :lol: I know very many 50 - 60 year olds and Camilla looks a damn site better than the majority of them. (I of course still look 21, :D) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as we know, but Camilla has never been short of admirers, male and female and it would be wrong to base anything on whether somebody photographs well. I stand by my stunning remark. :flowers:

For her age, she's truly nice-looking and fashionable IMO. And, like you said Sky, there's the choice of photographs (and photographers :D). I have already seen really bad pics of Diana and would I say she was actually ugly ? No.

If you look at Duchess Camilla in formal clothes, I think she looks very stilted and uncomfortable, even her wedding gown seemed to do her little justice. However, the pictures of her in jeans, riding clothes or Wellingtons just pottering around the countryside, she looks very relaxed and almost radiant. Her and Prince Charles are better suited to each other because they like country living. I think it's important to recognize both angles that they are happy in love and made it to the altar only after much scheming that deeply hurt many people in the process.

If you look at Duchess Camilla in formal clothes, I think she looks very stilted and uncomfortable, even her wedding gown seemed to do her little justice. However, the pictures of her in jeans, riding clothes or Wellingtons just pottering around the countryside, she looks very relaxed and almost radiant. Her and Prince Charles are better suited to each other because they like country living. I think it's important to recognize both angles that they are happy in love and made it to the altar only after much scheming that deeply hurt many people in the process.
It just goes to show how different peoples taste can be. :flowers: I thought her wedding outfits were stunning (there's that word again) and suited her to a T. Neither overpowering nor understating the occasion. The simple outfit for the civil ceremony and the beautifully embroidered dress and coat for the blessing. I do disagree with your scheming comment, as I don't believe that Camilla ever wanted to be either The Princess of Wales or a Duchess. Please lets not get into the who did what with who, that caused so much hurt. :)

It just goes to show how different peoples taste can be. :flowers: I thought her wedding outfits were stunning (there's that word again) and suited her to a T. Neither overpowering nor understating the occasion. The simple outfit for the civil ceremony and the beautifully embroidered dress and coat for the blessing. I do disagree with your scheming comment, as I don't believe that Camilla ever wanted to be either The Princess of Wales or a Duchess. Please lets not get into the who did what with who, that caused so much hurt. :)

The "scheming" I meant was how her and Prince Charles used to conspire together to find places to conduct their affairs such as the homes of friends. I agree with you she never wanted to be Princess of Wales, the woman had bread rolls tossed at her in the supermarket for Pete's sake. I appreciate your courtesy in differing opinions.

Did she though? I've never seen any evidence of bakery product launches.

Hmmm. If you could produce crumbs I'd believe it but the British don't go in for yeast-related attacks.

Tee hee! Perhaps they were scones, then. Getting back to topic, BeatrixFan, as a Londoner, have you noticed a change in the British people towards Duchess Camilla since she became Prince Charles' wife?

To be honest, people don't really talk about it much. If you do manage to get people into chat about the Royals, the response is usually negative on the whole. Locally there was quite a bit of hype at the time of the wedding because a few cul-de-sacs held street parties but aside from that, I haven't really noticed I'm afraid.

I agree with you she never wanted to be Princess of Wales, the woman had bread rolls tossed at her in the supermarket for Pete's sake. I appreciate your courtesy in differing opinions.

The whole bread rolls being thrown at Camilla are a tabloid myth, it never happened. It's been researched and Camilla herself said that it didn't happen. It's one of those stories that was invented and once in print, kept getting repeated as fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom