Charles & Camilla: How has your opinion changed since the wedding?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From an earlier moderator post:

The purpose of this thread isn't to rehash the particulars of the Charles/Camilla/Diana triange or why Charles and Diana didn't work.

Its purpose is to talk about Charles and Camilla and whether or not your opinion of them has changed. Yes, we know the background of their relationship...that goes without saying. So there is NO need to rehash if Charles cheated on Diana first, or vice versa or any of that.

That certainly has to do with how you viewed them (either negatively or positively) in the past, but since their wedding....has your perception changed?

If it hasn't that is fine (as long as we don't do the blame game) but if it has, please share your reasons why.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Last edited:
Gotcha and point taken.

and there ends the discussion.

Last edited:
O

Yes my opinion changed and it wasn't with the wedding.. it was with knowledge of who these people are.

That's a better way to put it. I didn't watch the wedding and I was pissed that it was happening. I do recall clips (though I don't know how I came across them) of Charles helping Camilla find her place in a hymn or prayer book. I think that is when I started seeing them as people and not charactures of villains.

In 2005 I remember seeing bits of the wedding and feeling absolutely repulsed by the idea. But now I can re-watch it and feel nothing at all. A good thing, I guess :p

The Duchess seemed very emotional at some moments and also very proud. (who wouldn't w/ that cute Eliza as a bridesmaid?!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I find as an American, this Camilla woman totally creepy. In my opinion, she had a big hand in the collapse of Princess Diana's marriage. I personally believe the woman is totally ruthless. For years, it was common knowledge that the Queen loathed this woman and refused to be in the same room with her. I believe the Queen refuses to step down and let her son ascend the throne because she holds a grudge against her son. Yes, she loves him but believes he is a huge disappointment. I saw a program about Princess Diana's jewels and was stunned to hear that Camilla was wearing a piece of jewelry that Charles had given to Diana. And don't tell me that this woman did not know that that piece of jewelry was given to Diana by her husband as a very personal gift. I am sorry to say that I find her behavior over the last 30 years unacceptable and shows what a selfish woman she is.

I saw a program about Princess Diana's jewels and was stunned to hear that Camilla was wearing a piece of jewelry that Charles had given to Diana. And don't tell me that this woman did not know that that piece of jewelry was given to Diana by her husband as a very personal gift. She also made changes to this piece of jewelry adding her own touches (adding a drop emerald). This was not Royal jewelry.

Your totally entitled to your opinion but there a few facts that need to be taken into consideration.

First, it is not common knowledge that the Queen loathed Camilla. Certainly she was not excited about the attention that the couple received when their relationship began but you can't chalk that up to loathing Camilla. Protocol and maintaining the prestige of the monarchy are important with the Queen. If the Queen didn't care for Camilla, than Camilla wouldn't have been at the funeral of the Queen Mother, the memorial service or the Queen's Golden Jubliee celebrations.

Second, the Queen is not going to step down because she takes her commitment as monarch seriously and its a lifetime commitment. And that has nothing to do with Camilla or the belief that Charles shouldn't be King.

Third, Camilla is not wearing Diana's jewelry. She is wearing jewelry that traditionally belong to the Princesses of Wales, of which she is. Sorry, like it or not that is her title. She is wearing jewels that are associated with previous Princesses of Wales (like Mary) and future (like Catherine). Diana's personal jewelry remains with her sons, William and Harry.

Now, I am a fan of Diana's, but you can't change the fact (you dont' have to like it) that Camilla's is Charles's wife, and thus should be treated accordingly. I admit that I wasn't a happy bird that April morning in 2005, but Camilla has done nothing wrong since she has become a member of the British Royal Family. She makes Charles happy. That's it. Those are the facts.

Last edited:
I admit that I wasn't a happy bird that April morning in 2005, but Camilla has done nothing wrong since she has become a member of the British Royal Family. She makes Charles happy. That's it. Those are the facts.

I always liked Camilla - actually from the kind and loving as well as a bit naughty and funny way she reacted with Charles on the infamous phone call which showed her private side while she had always remained dignified in public throughout the whole CDC-mess.

What shows me that she has really "landed" as part of the RF is the way she was greeted by HM and the DoE on arriving to the Royal wedding whch was very warm and family-like and the fact that William, who loves his late mother and his wife, took Catherine to stay at Clarence House and allowed Camilla to take part in their life. He wouldn't encourage this mother-daughter-in-law scenario (liek them going out for lunch alone, letting Catherine accept the gift of a bit of pampering before the wedding organized by Camilla) if he wasn't feeling that this is the right thing to do and how to live as a family. And if he and Harry are okay with Camilla, others should be able to be so, too.

I would say that my opinion of them has improved slightly.. very slightly. :whistling:

Like so many, I felt a slight sense of impropriety when the wedding arrived (it wasn't a proper wedding, just a Service of Blessing).

As the years went by, one gets the feeling that it's simply easier to just accept the status quo.

Also, there have been so many royal weddings and divorces that one is quite used to it. I'm far more interested in the younger generation, with Wills and Kate at the top of my list.

My opinion over the years has changed. I like both of them but I respect Camilla a lot more than I do for Charles. IMO she is doing a good job for what I can tell; and has worked hard to improve her image.
The family has obviously moved on but some people find the need to constantly rehash the war of the waleses on these forums. As I said a few weeks ago, watching the wedding, I was so happy to see finally a united family. I think Diana would be happy to see her sons and ex-husband happy and enjoying life with people they love.

Okay...Camilla is the Princess of Wales, she just doesn't use the title as deference to the memory of the late Diana, Princess of Wales. A mistake if you ask me. She just goes by one of Charles's other titles.

She will be Queen unless Charles dies before Queen Elizabeth. To not make her Queen would take an Act of Parliament. Another mistake that I think was made at the of the wedding, trying to bow down to the wishes of people who will never accept Camilla. Charles becomes King and Camilla becomes Queen.

Can you please cite a source which indicates that the Queen was going to step down while Charles was married to Diana?

Also, can you provide a source to indicate that Camilla has received jewelry that belonged to Diana that DID NOT belong to the British Royal Family or is associated with the Prince of Wales.

And you are not bursting my bubble. Its apparent that you don't care for Camilla, and that is certainly your right to feel that way. But the facts that I stated can be verified, can yours?

Frankly, I am bit stunned that I am defending Camilla but the title, the jewels, etc are all due to her based on her position as Charles's wife, The Princess of Wales and the future Queen Consort of England.

Last edited:
nancybee said:
I find as an American, this Camilla woman totally creepy...
Point 1 : Wrong (The DOC is "de jure" Princess of Wales, but she chose to not use this title).

Point 2 : Wrong (The DOC will be "de jure" Queen, up to her to choose, or not,this title then).

Ponit 3 : Rubbish ("I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and to the service of our great Imperial Family to which we all belong." It's a job for life dear.)

Point 4 : Wrong . You're talking about a Prince of Wales's feathers pendant given by Charles to Diana. The prince of Wales's Feathers is an heraldic symbol used many times for a lot of jewellery including a whole set created for Queen Alexandra (as Princess of Wales). Camilla wore a brooch from this Alexandra's set and not the Diana one.

Emerald Brooch | Wedding gift Queen Alexandra | Camilla Duchess of Cornwall

Facts

I agree with Zonk & Nico. Camilla is the Princess of Wales whether any of us like it or not. That's the position & title she gets for marrying Charles. As far as Camilla becoming Queen. Despite what Charles said... unless An Act of Parliament is passed. Camilla will become Queen-consort (period end of story). That whole thing of Camilla only being Princess-consort is in my mind a nice little gesture on Prince Charles part but the reality is.. He wants her to be Queen and unless Parliament blocks it.. it will happen.

Look like her or not, they love each other. That is the nice part. How they got to this point is not. She, of course, is the POW, she is married to the Prince of Wales. I think she was wise to use the Duchess of Cornwall, to placate many who felt she shouldn't be called that. What will happen in the future, no one knows. Life goes on and so it has for the RF.

Look like her or not, they love each other. That is the nice part. How they got to this point is not. She, of course, is the POW, she is married to the Prince of Wales. I think she was wise to use the Duchess of Cornwall, to placate many who felt she shouldn't be called that. What will happen in the future, no one knows. Life goes on and so it has for the RF.

Honestly, their love for each other has changed my opinion of Camilla. I still don't care for Charles, but I am indifferent (as opposed to my initial dislike) of Camilla. They care for each other and they enjoy each other's company. Yes, how they got there was bad, and its obvious that Charles and Diana pairing wasn't a success...the best thing that came out of that union are William and Harry. Charles and Camilla have a partnership and that is so important in order to have a successful marriage.

I will also admit that I wasn't so keen on Camilla having such an active (or let's say visible) role at William's wedding but that is more my issue than hers. And again at the end of the day, she is Charles's wife, she gets along with William and Harry and she has been a well regarded functioning member of the BRF since she got married. I do think she should more engagements, but I also recognize that for over a half of Camilla's life she has been a wife, mother and a woman who lunches (or lady of leisure) and essentially a private citizen who has had to make a big lifestyle change in front of the world. It can't be easy to have every aspect of your life dissected.

So let's just say that while I wont' be using Camilla as a screen saver or an avatar, she isn't the Anti Christ that I thought years ago.

Last edited:
Alright then...moving on...these posts about the royal jewels will be moved to the correct thread.

This thread isn't about Diana, her divorce or her insecurities.

Coming back to the current marriage ;-) ....

...this thread actually made me think again about Charles and Camilla.
Although I find Charles lacklustre (despite his environmental credentials) and a bit of a buffoon.

Yesterday I watched on BBC Four a documentary on Charles' passion for the music of Sir Hubert Parry - that's the chap who composed Jerusalem and lots of other 'hits'.

I was looking forward to the programme, but, as time went on, I became very bored with it, and kept making cups of coffee !!

Charles simply hasn't got what it takes to make a TV documentary. He's tried before with stuff about Highgrove, and, I'm afraid, that was also sleep-inducing.

On the other hand, I could imagine Camilla having a go at such a programme and making a good fist of it !!

Camilla seems to have opened Charles up a bit. But he is definitely a fuddy duddy. Well in public anyway :wink:

Posts not addressing the thread topic have been removed.
Posts discussing jewels have been moved to the Royal Jewels Forum.

Warren
British Forums moderator

Before I hated Camila, because I loved Diana..but in this moment I was a child.. now I´m an adult and I understand this relationship...but for me I never like Camila....but I admite that Charles and she now the big oportunity to be happy... I think that Charles changed after the Diana dead...and in this moment He think be happy...and His happiness is Camila.

PD: Excuse my english but I am from Colombia and I speak Spanish ;)

Interesting article, but some of the comments are very vile. I still feel ashamed when I think about "Camillagate" and have to really aplaud Camilla for being pro free speach after that disaster (the biggest breach of privacy I ever had to know about, I don't mind their conversation, as it was to be private between them, but the outragous, tasteless, crude act to make it public).
Camilla seems to get into her new job at an age, when woman usually await retirement, she does all this to make Charles happy. From how he looks nowadays, it works. :) She is not overshadowing him, her charity work is about what really interests her and/or is close to her heart, so they both seem quite happy with their lifes together. It's not that they need my blessing, but if asked, I would give it to them ;)

Last edited:
If Prince Charles had married Diana's sister or his cousin Mountbatten's grand daughter or even the princess of Belgium or any other woman. Camilla would have kept her distance. There is an old expression "A Monkey knows which branch to jump on." Diana was young had no past and was an easy prey. There are many men who married through arranged marriages though they were not in love at the begining with their (arranged partners)they grew to love and appreciate their partners. Diana is the only person Charles has children with (that I heard of ) I would not trust anyone who stood at the Alter of God and lied to the Almighty and the world.
and on the other hand whom God Has Joined Together No one Should Put Assunder.
There is something call retribution which no one can escape.

But I think Camilla has proven to be not hypocritical regarding the FREEDOM of press, which I am sorry, but I can't help but admire. Camilla as of today, gotten my respect in FULL. She has not misstepped since marrying Charles and those comments proved she would be a wonderful consort. She has made mistakes, but at least she is not acting holier-than-thou and so a very hardy huzzah for the Duchess of Cornwall.

If Prince Charles had married Diana's sister or his cousin Mountbatten's grand daughter or even the princess of Belgium or any other woman. Camilla would have kept her distance. There is an old expression "A Monkey knows which branch to jump on." Diana was young had no past and was an easy prey. There are many men who married through arranged marriages though they were not in love at the begining with their (arranged partners)they grew to love and appreciate their partners. Diana is the only person Charles has children with (that I heard of ) I would not trust anyone who stood at the Alter of God and lied to the Almighty and the world.
You are correct about retribution but it is always wise to remember to "Judge not lest ye be judged", and take great care to remember that "Let he that is without sin cast the first stone". I am also curious as to whether it is divorce in general or just Charles and Camilla's respective divorces you object to?

To me Charles and Camilla's abiding love is an inspiration to the over 50's that love springs eternal and to be honest, I think they both glow when we see them together at an official engagement.

The Queen and Camilla seem to actually enjoy each other' company and I can't help but wonder if it is their shared love of Charles that unites them. In the same way we have seen and heard from William and Harry that they "love her to bits" because she makes their father happy.

If we had any doubts, William and Catherine's wedding saw both Charles and Camilla included in a very significant way. To me it seems obvious that William and Harry have admitted Camilla into the "boys own" club they share with their father. As does William and Catherine's relaxed attitude to continuing to use Clarence House as a London base until they get around to sorting out something for themselves.

There are many men and women who marry for love and end up having affairs - they go to the altar to say the words before their friends and they mean them - but they don't keep them.

Are they all to be distrusted in everything they do?

The last time I checked only one person who has walked this earth was perfect and he was crucified nearly 2000 years ago.

The rest of us are sinners. Are some sins greater than others - not in God's eyes - God hates all sin but loves all sinners who repent of those sins, which Charles and Camilla have done.

Charles was miserable in his first marriage and happy in his second. For that I rejoice for him and his second wife - a warm and loving woman, who at an age when most of us would be retiring decided that because of her love for Charles that she would start a life of service to the people of Britain in her support for him.

Over the years I have become more accepting of the Duchess, in fact, I now think she is doing a great job supporting her husband and representing the British royals. An example of how the world turns and everything moves along.

Well said , MARG.

It does not take away anything from their love of thier mother, but she is not here anymore. Camilla does seem to be very fond of the to princes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom