Charles & Camilla: How has your opinion changed since the wedding?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I saw that comment from Charles I laughed as it was simply so true -they have been practicing for years.

It came across as a loving father having a bit of a joke at the expense of his son and fiancee.

Agree. My first reaction to the announcement was "Finally". Remember what Harry said during an recent interview, he though this moment would never happen! also let's not forget The PoW knew about this way before we did, so he had already digested the idea.

When I saw that comment from Charles I laughed as it was simply so true -they have been practicing for years.

It came across as a loving father having a bit of a joke at the expense of his son and fiancee.

I watched it several times, with and without sound. His mouth crooks down - almost like a tic, he looks irritated he's even being asked (when he should look joyous for his son), I see nothing that indicates a joke. While it may look that way to some people, it doesn't look that way to all people - and some of the people who've viewed it and commented to me are British, so it's not just an American thing. It's body language and facial expression

He looks so peeved. It's not as if some reporter asking his response was unexpected - that surprised me too. He should have had a "proud father" response ready, if you ask me. Camilla sure had the right attitude and response, she's gay and proud and genuine. Charles looks pinched and unhappy about the whole business.

We'll see if he can unglum himself for the actual wedding. The practicing remark was crude, in my opinion.

Agree. My first reaction to the announcement was "Finally". Remember what Harry said during an recent interview, he though this moment would never happen! also let's not forget The PoW knew about this way before we did, so he had already digested the idea.

Which is why I thought he'd have a more joyous, loving response and not such a sour puss.

But if he wants the world to see him as a sour puss, he's making great progress. Surely he knows that this is one time when he's once again on the world stage and not simply in his own backyard. As the future King of England, I'd think he'd want to give a more proper, dignified and father-like response.

Guess looking bored and peeved is more his own style - but really, he's representing something besides himself now.

IIRC, the press caught Charles as he was doing an engagement somewhere that morning (as was Sophie). I took his statement about "practicing at it long enough" as a tongue-in-cheek example of the renowned dry British wit. To me there was no hint of disdain or that he was anything other than happy about the announcement. He may have been curt with the reporters but that is to be understood as he was making his way to somewhere he needed to be at the time.

I definitely think that since the marriage, Charles is a much more relaxed and happy man and very comfortable in his own skin. With Camilla by his side, he's finally coming into his own in both his personal and professional life.

:previous: I don't doubt he was delighted, but I recall thinking at the time...

"If you're happy Charles, tell your face".

:D

Last edited:
It definitely changed. I still wouldn't say I'm a 100% fan of the couple. but have grown to realize that they love each other and she makes him happy.

In the end she's the one he chose, so it's time to move on. Even if I disagree with the way they handle their relationship while still married w/ others.
Your feelings mirror my own, in that I am still not a 100% fan of the couple and disagree with thier behavior in the past, but I too have grown to be able to accept the facts and move on. It took me years to be able to do this, because I had a lot of anger towards them. But then one day, I " woke up" and thought, Why be angry at people I do not know?

I was angry, because here Charles was getting a 2nd chance at being happy, while Diana did not get hers, but I stopped, because I realized, It won't bring her back.

I think I was having a delayed response of anger about Diana's death. I was so young when she died, that it did not happen for me till later. It came out as anger at Charles and Camilla for treating Diana so awful, and now here they were getting another chance, but it wasn't about that. It was about Diana's death. I was angry at Charles. I thought for the longest time, If only Charles had loved Diana, she would not have been with Dodi in that tunnel and crashed. I stopped being mad at Charles, when I realized the accident was a tragic twist of fate, how he felt about Diana had nothing to do with it! Diana died because of a tragic accident, not because Charles did her any harm. So I accepted she had died and stopped being angry at Charles. He does not deserve it, and above all, it won't bring Diana back.Besides, I was never angry at Charles to start with. I was angry that Diana died.

I hope people can understand my feelings. It is hard to share them. I fear people will be judgemental. I worry I am the only one to have felt this way.
I want people to know that despite my past feelings, I never wished harm on anyone, and that I now wish Charles and Camilla nothing but happiness.

Last edited:
I have had a chance to watch (several times), the reporter who first approached Prince Charles for his reaction to the announcement that his son was about to be married. His statement, something to the effect of, "Yes, it's obvious the announcement is true, they've been practicing at it long enough," or whatever he said with that disdainful look on his face was just another version of "ME, why isn't everyone asking about ME, why are you interrupted MY conversation about MY important topic to ask about that kid who is getting married."

I think he's not half the man his son is.
I will say that Camilla's reaction to the engagement was so enthusiastic, so genuine, so kind - thank god that Charles has her in his life.

Did not see the report, so cannot give an opinion, but I can say that I dislike that trait in people- when they feel they have to- or feel that they are entitled to- make everything about themselves.
You are right- I believe William is more of a respectable man, then his father ever will be.
I am so glad to see how supportive Camilla has been.

Last edited:
Did not see the report, so cannot give an opinion, but I can say that I dislike that trait in people- when they feel they have to- or feel that they are entitled to- make everything about themselves.
You are right- I believe William is more of a respectable man, then his father ever will be.
I am so glad to see how supportive Camilla has been.

I saw it -I dont think that was the case. I think when it comes to the press Prince Charles shows all of his emotions on his face. He hates to answer off the cuff questions and really doesn't like interviews unless he is seemingly in control.

That I would say IS a bad trait. People should not be able to irk you and read you like that-especially when you are in a leadership position.

You are right-Camilla is a good influence-hopefully he will continue to loosen up and not take every remark to heart.
Who has been more villified than Camilla-I can not repeat hear the vile names she has been called in the newspaper and on the internet for over 10 years now. And yet -in public she's always smiling and cheerful-she "just gets on with it".

Last edited:
Like many of you, I loved Diana and hated what Camilla had done. If only she had "waited" for Charles like Kate waited for William, instead of marrying APB. But now, I've grown to like her- she seems funny and fun, and if she lived next door, I'd invite her over for a drink or five.

Int the beggining my thougt´s were "oh my god, how can he (prince Charles) change from such a beatiful women to a person like her (Camilla)", but now i really think that Camilla is the right person for him.
She seems funny, seems to have sense of humor, and she doens´t try to overshadow Prince Charles.

I am at a loss to understand why it is that the closer we get to William's wedding, the more caustic the comments about Charles and Camilla become. Charles in particular.

His divorce and remarriage is a cudgel to continually beat him with yet, as mentioned earlier, The Princess Royal has also divorced and remarried and the Duke of York has also divorced without any of the attendant sniping and re-writing ofhis family history.

His "humorous" response to being asked how he felt his son's engagement is portrayed as envious, jealous, or just plain "nasty" which mystifies me, as his parents, the Queen and Prince Philip, were both just as "wry" about it with none of the attendant adverse connotations or aspersions.

When I saw that comment from Charles I laughed as it was simply so true -they have been practising for years.

Like Bertie I too laughed at his response and for the same reasons. It seems that severe humour failure is the flavour of the day so have at it. It gives me something to laugh about.

I find it sad that people can't move on and also that people think that in criticising and putting down Charles they are somehow supporting William in his desire to remember his mother.

William is very close to his father, and always has been - way closer than many people want to admit.

It must be hurtful to the two princes to hear people constantly criticising their father.

MARG said:
I am at a loss to understand why it is that the closer we get to William's wedding, the more caustic the comments about Charles and Camilla become. Charles in particular.
Maybe people feel sad that William's mother won't be at William's wedding and that has trigged the feelings of resentment many felt toward Charles and Camilla when Diana died. I'm not saying it's logical, but emotional triggers can be powerful. I also thought his remark about "practicing long enough" was meant to be humorous, not nasty, as I don't think Charles would ever make a mean spirited comment about either of his sons. I'm definitely not his biggest fan, but I do think much of the criticism is unfair.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always liked Charles; I have to admit I once liked Diana very much, but when they came apart I sided with Charles.

(I think everyone has taken sides, and that is why Charles gets so much criticism now. Many people simply don't understand why he didn't simply get rid of Camilla and make things work out with Diana.)

Of course, I doubt that he could have done so, no matter what the circumstances, because her insecurities ran too deep. But she is dead and beyond the reach of any critics; he is still around and available as an easy target. JMO.

I did not care for Camilla that much but I never disliked her. I always thought the entire situation with Diana, Charles and Camilla was unfortuante for all of them. When they finally got married, I was very happy for them both. It might have been better if they had married years ago and all that unhappiness would have been avoided. Water under the bridge.....:ermm:

I think it looks like, when Charles and Camilla finally married, that they had repented and come clean with each other, God, the two boys, Queen and Prince, and were able to both genuinely smile, pose for family portraits, and just be happy. The way Will and Harry seem to have supported their dad is so sweet. Camilla herself, whenever I've heard her speak, seem comfortable and confident in her new role. She's made herself increasingly likable (at least to me) after a rather rocky start.

Charles, unlike the other top Royals, always seems just a tad uncomfortable. Looking back at his wedding with Diana, I realize I wasn't paying as much attention to his facial expressions and his body language at the time (even though there were rumors that it was something of an arranged wedding from his point of view). I had bought into the idea that he really loved her. But watching (again and again), I now see how uncomfortable he seemed, especially when looking at Diana. Maybe it's just hindsight.

He did look pleased to be out on the balcony with the kiss finally completed and the deed finally behind him. He had done his duty and could get on with his life (it must really have been a dreadful time for him, in love with another woman, unable to explain it to anyone or do anything at it).

I know he's decided to present himself to the world, now, more or less as exactly who he is, but I do hope he can smile a little on the upcoming wedding day, take a back seat and be genuinely happy (and noble in attitude) at his son's wedding. The Queen, whatever she is feeling, always comes across as noble, thoughtful, discreet and proper, often showing excitement or sadness or happiness or whatever it is - clearly and, it would seem, naturally - although I'm guessing that it isn't always "natural." Charles needs to learn to do the same - if he can possibly take a page from his mother's book (he seems he's a little more like his father, perhaps).

Maybe people feel sad that William's mother won't be at William's wedding and that has trigged the feelings of resentment many felt toward Charles and Camilla when Diana died. I'm not saying it's logical, but emotional triggers can be powerful.

I know that on a low level this is true for me. I know it is not logical.
But there you are....

Speaking of body language, I watched the honeymoon "interview" again the other day and was struck by Diana's expression when asked how she liked Balmoral and although she said it was lovely, looking back, you can see a slight rolled eye expression.

The purpose of this thread isn't to rehash the particulars of the Charles/Camilla/Diana triange or why Charles and Diana didn't work.

Its purpose is to talk about Charles and Camilla and whether or not your opinion of them has changed. Yes, we know the background of their relationship...that goes without saying. The question is has that influenced you in a positive or negative way in how your perceive them?

If it hasn't that is fine (as long as we don't do the blame game) but if it has, please share your reasons why.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Last edited:

totally agree.
for most people who doesn't know the whole wills-kate story, that sentence maybe shock them, but for me, and most of the royal watchers, it was something that everyone wanted and wished. my first reaction was: "yessss, finally!!!!"
yes, he said something that everybody knew, but at the same time, that humanizes charles, and show him as a father than a cp.

i think this diana-charles-camilla thing made people forget his work as a cp, and just saw him as the man who cheated on "the people's princess". he is human, like everybody, a no-perfect being, and everybody forgets that just because he is a member of a royal family and, without exception, all people think that he can't make mistakes.

i'm not defending him, in fact, i don't like him much, but what people has to think is that the important thing is his work as the cp of great britain, and how he is representing the royal house...ok, he made a mistake, but now, that he married camilla, it's time to turn the page and see what he's doing as the cp, his charities, funds, and his diplomatic work in other countries. and yes, how camilla complements charles' work, that's the important thing, if everybody wants the continuity of the british dinasty...

Yes, I understand that Prince Charles (like his father) is prone to the in-joke, and that people who are in on the joke always feel better about it. Kate's parents - and Camilla - all had such sound byte friendly things to say, as if they knew it was like sending a little greeting card to the world. Prince Charles chose the humorous greeting card.

I like Charles, and thought I liked him more than Camilla, but in the run-up to the wedding, I've come to admire Camilla's smiling openness, her straightforwardness, the way she look right at speaker or report and truly smile. I keep trying to find Charles charming, but not finding it easy. I want to.

I think Camilla is quite good for him, definitely has a strong personality and he seems to adore her and therefore she has had an influence (he's trying to be a bit warmer, I think). I don't see the relationship with Camilla as a bad thing at all (especially now that it is no longer painful to Charles's former wife - but hey, the two of them did a lot to equally hurt each other - Charles and Diana).

Appalled!!!!

...whatever he said with that disdainful look on his face was just another version of "ME, why isn't everyone asking about ME, why are you interrupted MY conversation about MY important topic to ask about that kid who is getting married."
I saw this comment for the first time in a video clip yesterday, and was appalled at the lack of fatherly love and joy... not to mention lack of kindness! Loved how happy Camilla was though!

I saw this comment for the first time in a video clip yesterday, and was appalled at the lack of fatherly love and joy... not to mention lack of kindness! Loved how happy Camilla was though!

I saw this clip several times during the coverage of the wedding and I know I saw a smirk on Prince Charles' face. To me he was very obviously being tongue-in-cheek about the engagement. I think he gets along very well with his now daughter-in-law and was probably very happy and most likely aided and abetted her with all the planning of the specific flowers and trees they used for the wedding.

I think it is time to put Diana to rest. the wedding of William and Kate wasn't harking back to Diana's, there didn't seem to me to be any reference to the poor woman at all. Lets face it both Charles and Diana were spoilt children, who set out in the end to see who was the most popular, and surprise, surprise in the eyes of the press the pretty woman won.

I ma no fan of Prince Charles, but I did think Camilla looked lovely at the wedding and she seemed to be genuinely enjoying herself. There are no dramas with Camilla, she just get on with it and seems to be in a happy marriage. Diana was throwing herself from the absurd to the ridiculous, anything for a headline. Personally, I think she was a very bitter and unhappy woman.

If what the media is saying about Kate's wedding dress showing she has respect for the establishment she has married into, then what did Diana's show - that she was a young girl, living her fairy tale, one that she felt in many ways was her destiny. I wonder what her life would have been like had she married Andrew instead.

Please lets stop the comparisons between Diana and the new Duchess of Cambridge, Katherine is a much more mature woman, much better educated and living in a totally different time.

I think it is time to let Diana rest in peace, she has been dead now nearly 14 years, almost as long as she was in the media light, her myth seems to be growing with each passing year. Let us not forget that she was cheating on her husband, trying to take her life, suffering from a nervous eating disorder and not coping with the world she found her self in. she was a flawed human being like all of us, not a saint.

RIP Diana - I hope

Osipi said:
I think he gets along very well with his now daughter-in-law and was probably very happy and most likely aided and abetted her with all the planning of the specific flowers and trees they used for the wedding.

Yes, in his speech he called her the daughter he never had so I agree with you Osipi- he's not the most outwardly public emotional figure but believe him to be thrilled with his sons and new daughter in law :)

I think it is time to put Diana to rest...
I don't think anyone has forgotten Diana's flaws as they are well documented. Nor have I seen the media or people today trying to portray Diana as a saint. It appears that the family and the public has moved on and choose to remember the good and not dwell on the bad.
It was wonderful to see a united family at Will and Catherine's wedding.

Lets not forget that Charles wanted to marry Camilla before he even sought after Diana, he was however forbidden to marry her because she was not a virgin and was then pressured into marrying Diana.So I also see how this would have affected him as well. Also Diana was no innocent herself as she admitted to her affairs, she was flawed just like the rest of us. I am glad it worked out for Charles and Camilla in the end and I am also glad that Diana lived happy toward the end of her life. I am also thankful that William and harry will not be forced to marry!

I do really think its time to stay in the here and now of things. From my perspective, William and Kate's wedding did honor to each and every one of the people near and dear to them with no one being singled out as more or less important than the other. To degrade this is to degrade everything that is important in their lives. I thought the wedding perfectly had a touch of everyone in it and that's what made it so wonderfully special. The first words of the prayer that William and Kate wrote were about "family".

Perhaps it is only the Australian media, but there have been so many comparisons between Kate and Diana, that it is becoming tedious.

Why don't they compare her to some one who is worth of comparison e.g Princess Mary, and let poor old Di rest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom