Camilla and The Public

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Raking over the past doesn't accomplish anything since that's where you'll remain. To keep pushing Diana's presence on Charles and Camilla, as well as on Kate, by inevitable comparisons and pointed barbs doesn't accomplish anything. It actually makes people want to roll their eyes even more, which is what I'm doing now. Point of the story, if Camilla makes Charles and his children happy, and the British public delighted with her appearances and comportment, I'm very pleased for all concerned. She's obviously an asset to the house of Windsor and has rehabilitated her image in the public eye with grace, dignity and a strong work ethic.

I look forward to seeing Camilla as Queen Consort whenever that day arrives.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I just can't respect anyone who holds an ounce of respect for Camilla.

Someone who can't respect me because I like someone/something they don't isn't worth my time. Camilla makes Charles happy, his sons like her, and his family has accepted her. Being someone who isn't in the UK or a Commonwealth country, she holds no affect or bearing on my life, so I can sit here in North Carolina and say I like her, without giving a fig what someone somewhere else thinks.

Cheers to Camilla! :flowers:

The public should leave what is in the past in the past to put it bluntly and focus on the now. The thing that matters most is if she's doing a good job or not.

And no I'm not a Camilla fan or a Diana fan. I'm rather indifferent towards both of them, because who says Diana would still be 'that Diana' right now if she lived. I do admit I feel sorry for her but I also feel sorry for Camilla in a way. The public still judge her for things that happened ages ago.

I'm sorry, but I just can't respect anyone who holds an ounce of respect for Camilla. I think that her role in the monarchy is a total joke. She knows that no one likes her, so she looks to the monarch who held the most public adoration (Diana) and tries to copy off of her. Granted, she is certainly not the worst out of the bunch but she certainly isn't wonderful.

So you can't respect William and Harry either as they obviously respect Camilla as their father's wife and can see the happiness he has brought to him.

She actually knows that some people, including Charles' sons do like her. If you have ever seen Camilla with William and/or Harry (as I have) you would know that they enjoy being with her and certainly do respect her.

So you can't respect William and Harry either as they obviously respect Camilla as their father's wife and can see the happiness he has brought to him.

She actually knows that some people, including Charles' sons do like her. If you have ever seen Camilla with William and/or Harry (as I have) you would know that they enjoy being with her and certainly do respect her.

This was my reaction to that particular post also.

I just don't see why people let themselves get so personally upset over a situation when the people who were actually involved, and most affected by it, have themselves moved on.

I'm sorry, but I just can't respect anyone who holds an ounce of respect for Camilla. I think that her role in the monarchy is a total joke. She knows that no one likes her, so she looks to the monarch who held the most public adoration (Diana) and tries to copy off of her. Granted, she is certainly not the worst out of the bunch but she certainly isn't wonderful.
I would like to point out Diana was never a monarch, for the last 60 years the monarch of Great Britian has been Queen Elizabeth II.
Two, not all of us liked Diana or fall into the Diana was saint and therefore could do no wrong camp. You may feel that way but please do not insult everyone here who is prepared to like and defend Camilla and/or Charles even if their actions were not always prudent.

Last edited:
I think Camilla has really turned around they way the public look at her. Yes there will always be those people who hate her simply because they love Diana but for most people they see Camilla for who she is herself. At the end of the day I think most people now recognize that Charles and Diana just weren't right for each other while Charles and Camilla are. After years of only being able to judge her as "the other woman" we now get to judge her as a person in her own right and we see she is kind, warm, funny and caring. I think for the British public there is also a degree of admiration for the fact that Camilla has had to bear and has overcome much unfair criticism and even unfairer blame and hate for the breakup and even death of Diana. I really feel the Diana memorial service 10 years after Diana's death was a real turning point, the way it was handled and the way Camilla had to not attend was seen my many and the media as the only answer but one which humiliated Camilla so unfairly.
To those people who don't like Camilla (and might even dislike people just for liking her) i ask this - do you dislike Camilla for who she is as a person or just because you love Diana so much?
(and before I get hatemail or shouted down I grew up during the Diana years and loved her, admired her and still thing she was wonderful but that doesn't mean I can't like Camilla as well)

One thing I tend to notice is the people who castigate Camilla for being the "other woman" during Charles and Diana's marriage, never seem to bring up the fact that Diana was screwing around on Charles herself. It's almost as if they don't want to believe it is true, so therefore it must not be.

All three of them behaved badly. That is fact. No one was faithful to their spouse, including Camilla. Everyone cheated on everyone. It was appalling, it was ludicrous, and it was public. That was more than a decade ago, close to two. LET IT GO. Diana has since died, but even if she hadn't, her and Charles were divorced, so it's not like Camilla stole a crown off her head. It's doubtful Charles would have remarried had Diana still been living, but that's another thread. Camilla is Charles's wife now, and by all accounts, has become an asset to the BRF.

I would like to think that if Diana was still alive, for the sake of her sons, she'd want people to let it go and move on.

I would like to think that if Diana was still alive, for the sake of her sons, she'd want people to let it go and move on.

Completely agree, Diana would have moved on and found somebody of her own and IN MY OPINION likely would have come to accept or at least no speak out against Charles and Camilla. Everyone always says how much Diana loved her sons and if she loved them that much she would accept Camilla's role in Charles live and put up with it as otherwise it would hurt her sons as it would potentially tear the family up and William & Harry from either Charles or Diana. We have to remember Diana died before she got into a stable, loving relationship or her own If she had died when she was clearly with a life partner/husband our views on Camilla would not nearly be as bad as they are, we can't get stuck in the past, sad as it life moves on and people can't live forever in the past

One thing I tend to notice is the people who castigate Camilla for being the "other woman" during Charles and Diana's marriage, never seem to bring up the fact that Diana was screwing around on Charles herself. It's almost as if they don't want to believe it is true, so therefore it must not be.

I actually never heard of it. Care to elaborate? I mean I knew she had a relationship but that was after they were divorced

I actually never heard of it. Care to elaborate? I mean I knew she had a relationship but that was after they were divorced

I'm surprised you hadn't heard about that. No, Diana had several affairs while married to Charles, one of them with James Hewitt, who has always been rumored to be Prince Harry's father, even though Harry greatly resembles his cousin (his aunt Sarah McCorquodale's son) and his grandfather, Prince Philip.

Let's stay on topic folks....Camilla and the Public.

Back to topic, I have to say that I never particularly cared for Camilla. I didn't dislike her as such: she just didn't do anything for me.
In recent years, however, I've warmed considerably to her. She appears to be a genuinely nice woman and I, for one, enjoy reading about her more than most other members of the royal family, including the younger royals.

I think a lot of people, in and outside the UK, feel the same way.

Over the years, I've come to admire and even like Camilla. At one time, I was one of Diana's staunchest supporters ... and I'm still a supporter, but I don't believe she was a total innocent in the marriage. I think all three made mistakes, and if we forgive Diana, we should also forgive Charles and Camilla.

(It's more accurate to say that the current UK ruling house is a descendent of Henry VII, rather than Henry VIII.)

Last edited:
" The woman who stole Charles "

I have never heard this expression before, it sounds as though it should be in a novel. You are of course entitled to your opinion of the Duchess, and your comparisons with Princess Diana, however, Monarchy is not a beauty contest. Had things turned out differently, Diana would indeed have become Queen Consort, on the accession of her husband, but that time is now passed. When the Prince of Wales becomes King, his present wife, Camilla Duchess of Cornwall will become Queen Consort, a right which is both constitutional and moral, and i`m afraid you will simply have to live with it.

Anyways, as I was saying Camilla will probably never be that favoured by the public. Unfortunately, she will always be known as the "woman who stole Charles". It's a shame, though. If Charles had married her instead of Diana the public would probably have favoured her a lot more.
I have to admit the appellation "The Woman Who Stole Charles" cracked me up! It never ceases to amuse me that people can still hold on to the notion that someone can 'Steal' another adult, or even just their love. It is an absolute nonsense.

It is insulting to imagine that an adult human being is able to be "stolen", as if they are an inanimate object incapable of thinking or feeling. Human beings are blessed or cursed with emotions and love is only one of them. You can kill love but you can't steal it. Love can only be given and, if you are lucky, received.

IMO, Charles and Camilla have both been lucky and there are many, many photos that illustrate that shared love, given and received. The media is finally starting to realise that this is a healthy, happy couple who have much to offer and are realising their continued demonizing of Camilla was merely proof of their stunning lack of perspicacity!

As the years go by, public opinions of Camilla has changed. Many people strongly disliked her, now a lot of those people admire and respect her. The passage of time has a lot to do with it.

I am one of those people who believes that women and men can still another's significant other. In some states in America I believe there is even a law against it called "alienation of affection". I especially hate women who do this to their fellow females.
Anyway, Camilla has brought some of her detractors over to her side by just carrying herself with dignity and graciousness. I also believe it doesn't hurt that it seems her mother in law and her stepsons have given her their stamp of approval. Even when Camilla was still "the other woman" in the early 90's she kept quiet and did not get involved in the War of the Wales'; she kept her mouth shut even when she was constantly being called ugly and trashed in the media.

I don't believe you can steal someones love. You can lose their love or fall out of love but thats it.
Anyway, Camilla seems to be progressing quite nicely in gaining public approval. People can see her warmth when she undertakes her engagements and they can also see that Charles is much happier than he was in the late 80s and 90s. Certainly of the 3 principals she handled the War of the Wales with quiet dignity. Never complain and never explain worked well for her.

Last edited:
I am thrilled that where ever Camilla goes people, ordinary people, not media with an axe to grind, meet and are impressed by Camilla and her warmth and genuine care. That is all that matters, what the people think, not the media, not the haters, and not those who have a selective view of history.

With each and every appearance Camilla is making real friends of people who have met the real Camilla. Long may it last.

I think she had the most to loose. If Diana had wanted, she could have stayed married to Charles indefinately. He would never have divorced her if she hadn't given the Panorama interview. She was a beautiful woman with charisma - always able to find supporters, even though she was not able to keep real friendships.

Camilla OTOH was in a very delicate position when it comes to society. She is not of such a superior birth that she could have dared not to care - not a Lady Jane Wellesly who famously said she need not marry a title, she was born with one! Then when her husband divorced her, she was just an ordinary Ex-officer's wife. Then she lost a lot of money with Lloyds... So she was not in a good position - and was heavily vilified in the media and by Diana's supporters.

She only had two things going for her: Charles' unwavering support, respect and love and her own ability to make real friends, long-time friends, loyal friends.

What we experience today is the real thing: an elderly lady, not very beautiful, not very healthy, not very educated, but with a sunny nature, genuine compassion, steady loyality, personal dignity and the ability to give others the feeling they are special.

That's what the media is forced to show us today because even as they try hard, they can't come up with negative things and time's definately on her side. Those who remember Diana age with Camilla - and view tends to change over time. What once was the story of a betrayed innocent and an experienced witch is today (thanks to years and years of reporting) the story of a man who was married to a beautiful but spoilt princess who chose the ordinary looking "best buddy"-lady in the end. Isn't that what we all dream off, now that we reached a certain age? When we read about the "new love" of this socialite playgirl and the new, younger wife of that freshly divorced Mr. Multi-Millionaire - isn't it much nicer to read about Britain's future queen who is adored by the future king, called my "Darling wife" and treated not only with courtesy but with genuine affection?

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
I couldn't put it better even if I tried.
Excellent post! :flowers:

Please note that posts that dealt with the Charles/Diana/Camilla triangle (i.e. stealing someone else man, Camilla was Charles's true love, etc.) have been deleted as off topic.

Posts that referenced the triangle but stayed on topic (i.e despite of the triangle, Camilla's public percetion is .... ) have remained.

Let's try to say on topic.

Thanks!

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Last edited:
Kataryn, you said it beautifully! I couldn't have put it better.

My, my, you all see me blushing... :blush::blush: Thank you very much, you are very welcome!:flowers:

What we experience today is the real thing: an elderly lady, not very beautiful, not very healthy, not very educated, but with a sunny nature, genuine compassion, steady loyality, personal dignity and the ability to give others the feeling they are special.

Very well said.

Some people are academically inclined, while there are those who posses the gift of humilty and interact well socially. That in itself is a gift.

Though I'd not so much classify the late Princess of Wales as necessarily being spoilt, rather she was a woman who lived a life with a great deal of emotional instability and that is something I feel many people chose to overlook and instead diagnose her simply as having been someone who was 'tricky'. At the end of the day, Diana was not a well lady throughout much of her adult life. Not an excuse, but merely a truth I do believe.

Last edited:

Very wisely said I agree full heartily!! We are sadly living in an age where love and compassion is at times lacking.

What once was the story of a betrayed innocent and an experienced witch is today (thanks to years and years of reporting) the story of a man who was married to a beautiful but spoilt princess who chose the ordinary looking "best buddy"-lady in the end.

Its not as black and white nor would I use the same context. But I do agree, he was married to a woman he couldn't connect to emotionally nor could she fully understand him as he didn't fully understand her as well. Now he is married to a woman who understands and loves him unconditionally. She loves him the way he needs to be loved imo.

Though I'd not so much classify the late Princess of Wales as necessarily being spoilt,

I tried to point out the changing image of Daina and Camilla through the years:

Diana's last weeks spend with Dodi, if we see that as her new beginning after the divorce and the time necessary to adapt to a new situation left, at least by me, the image of a "spoilt" lady: I understand the first holiday with the children with the Al Fayed's but never understood what she saw in Dodi if it wasn't what he could give her and to show off a bit when in parallel Charles started to stand by Camilla in public.

Camilla back then was seen as a "Rottweiler" both in looks and temperament and nobody seemed to understand back then why Charles preferred to be with her in London when he could have been the one to spoil the beauty in France.

Today that view changed - and rightfully so.
Diana is understood to have been a beautiful but troubled woman with a good, compassionate heart which made people fall for her but made it very difficult if not impossible to live with her in the long-term while Camilla is seen as a good-hearted lady in the best sense of the world who one can turn to in whatever trouble and get help and support which in return gets her others love, affection and support - and that indefinatedly. No matter how she looks for beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally when I see her genuine smile, I am glad that she is Charles' life, for I believe he is worth having her for a wife. But then I'm a very romantic fan of Camilla...:flowers:

When we read about the "new love" of this socialite playgirl and the new, younger wife of that freshly divorced Mr. Multi-Millionaire - isn't it much nicer to read about Britain's future queen who is adored by the future king, called my "Darling wife" and treated not only with courtesy but with genuine affection?

Yes. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom