Camilla and The Public

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's extremely harsh :ermm:

I'm not going to debate the soap opera with you because this isn't the place, but since marrying Charles, what has Camilla done that could possibly make her unappealing to even the most passionate of Diana's admirers? :huh: I don't want to hear about the 70's, the 80's, the 90's, or the years between the death and the wedding. I want to hear about Camilla's time as The Duchess of Cornwall, because that is what this thread is about. She has been an exemplary representitive of The British Royal Family, and will be a wonderful Consort. You can hold the view that she was the only problem Diana ever had, for all I care, but your assertion that her warmth and work ethic haven't won you over can't go without elaboration.

It's tricky to explain why I just don't like somebody, but I'll try. I find Camilla goofy, for example in those photos in the Daily Mail article. Did she really "break wind"? Eww Pretending to stab Charles with a knife? Was that supposed to be funny? When I saw Prince Charles photographed next to that Romanian lady Elena Uldrea Prince Charles could become king... of ROMANIA after revealing he is related to Vlad the Impaler | Mail Online I thought that's the kind of lady I'd rather he be with. Yes, I know Camilla is his choice, but part of me just thinks Prince Charles should have a beautiful, elegant wife. As far as Camilla's charity work, well all members of the Royal Family are expected to do royal duties. It is not really *that* remarkable. I thought this was interesting: The Prince of Wales - TRH visit Dorchester and Poundbury

'Art teacher Mary-Ann Cooke showed The Duchess some pottery and said: "She said she wished she could come here and do some pottery herself so I offered to give her some clay to take away with her but she said they probably wouldn't allow her to spend the afternoon doing pottery."'

Who were "they"? If it weren't for "them" would Camilla be lying around all day instead of working?

Anyway, I can't help it if I just don't care for Camilla. I'm sure she's a nice enough person, but I will never be a "fan". *shrug*

:previous: Thanks for the reply :flowers:

I'll admit Camilla is goofy, but she pulls it off IMHO :D

As for the charity issue, The Royals are strongly encouraged to patronise charities, truth be told, but Camilla just seems so at ease doing it.

Last edited:
Definitely a good addition, Vicki. Category 5: Previously "meh" and now thumbs up on the Duchess?

I'm guessing there may be still a few other categories.

I have to say that periodically, I find myself feeling terribly sorry for the Royals. Pretty much all of us have said or done things or gone through periods of our lives that we are not proud of nor should we be. But over the decades, I've noticed that as a rule, people tend to hold the Royals to a different standard. It's like they aren't allowed to be simply human and have periods like that. Periods that hopefully they outgrow just like the rest of us do. It really does make me pity them their life in the fishbowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post Vicki :clap:

It's too easy for Royals to get black marks against their names :sad:

Last edited:
I get the sense that Camilla would rather have remained a private person who doesn't have to have her picture taken everytime she walks out the door. But I admire that she is willing to do a job she was not seeking to do and smile for the cameras that were so cruel to her and mocked her for everything, most notably her looks.

Lots of people are "armchair critics," I think. They like to critique people doing things they themselves will never do (such as be in the public eye or acting in a film - whatever it is). I note that public figures are often very careful about criticizing each other - as they understand what it is like.

One thing that is winning about Camilla is her positive attitude...she also tries to be helpful.

Personally I believe Camilla's increased acceptance/popularity is a good thing for the monarchy in general and for Charles in particular. As his consort once he succeeds to the throne it will be a good thing.

There will always be people who hate Charles and Camilla because of the past; but I do think the way they have handled themselves has made some people open to them and willing to accept them as a couple. Especially when Camilla stated she didn't want to go by the title Princess of Wales despite the fact that it is her rightful title.

Well said! Thank you. Regardless of whether Camilla was concerned with public opinion, Charles' or his sons' feelings, the bottom line remains that she has shown a tact and sensitivity in situations that would throw most people for a complete loop. I think she's doing quite well these days. Bravo for her!

Camilla.

I agree completely. It is vitally important that Camilla be given the title Queen, on the accession of Charles. It is her right as his wife, and it is her right constitutionally, as the consort of a reigning King. There is also another reason why Camilla should become Queen. The republican " movement " in the UK compensates for it`s small membership by adopting a vicious and hatefull campaign against individual members of the Royal family which frankly, turns my stomach. The idea of Camilla being given a lesser title, on Charles` Accession, would play right into the republicans` hands, giving them more credence and prestige than their numbers warrant. This cannot be allowed to happen.

I'm sorry, but I just can't respect anyone who holds an ounce of respect for Camilla. I think that her role in the monarchy is a total joke. She knows that no one likes her, so she looks to the monarch who held the most public adoration (Diana) and tries to copy off of her. Granted, she is certainly not the worst out of the bunch but she certainly isn't wonderful.

Well I for one don't care if you respect me or not. Also Diana was never a monarch she was a Princess.

Diana has been dead for nearly 15 years. The world has moved on even if you haven't.

The world has moved on? Ha! More like her legacy bears witness for thousands of people to honor. Look at just about every other avatar on here. They are of Diana. Whether you like her or not, you can't say that she still isn't popular. =]

This thread is about Camilla and her role in the royal family and her relationship with the public. There are many other threads to discuss Diana.

Anyways, as I was saying Camilla will probably never be that favored by the public. Unfortunately, she will always be known as the "woman who stole Charles". It's a shame, though. If Charles had married her instead of Diana the public would probably have favored her a lot more.

Anyways, as I was saying Camilla will probably never be that favored by the public. Unfortunately, she will always be known as the "woman who stole Charles". It's a shame, though. If Charles had married her instead of Diana the public would probably have favored her a lot more.

I think if you read through the posts in both Camilla's and Charles' current events threads, you will find that not only are the both of them warmly received wherever they go, they also present themselves as a genuinely happy couple. Camilla has a warm, down to earth quality that puts whomever she meets instantly at east I think.

I'm sorry, but I just can't respect anyone who holds an ounce of respect for Camilla. I think that her role in the monarchy is a total joke. She knows that no one likes her, so she looks to the monarch who held the most public adoration (Diana) and tries to copy off of her. Granted, she is certainly not the worst out of the bunch but she certainly isn't wonderful.

As one of the people that you 'can't respect' because I think Camilla is wonderful - all I can say is - I don't care.

Camilla is earning respect and love from people all the time - because she is actually showing what the wife of the heir to the throne is supposed to do - support her husband and the monarch and never show up either of them.

I think if you read through the posts in both Camilla's and Charles' current events threads, you will find that not only are the both of them warmly received wherever they go, they also present themselves as a genuinely happy couple. Camilla has a warm, down to earth quality that puts whomever she meets instantly at east I think.
Yeah, exactly! Stealing the real Prince is kinda complicated process, we admire this fact :D
I think Camilla will be never adored by the public as Diana was. And she's not trying to be "Queen of Hearts\Nations\etc.".She's Camilla :D
Anyway, she's very pleasant and cheerful lady, she has warm relationships with her stepsons, and it means a lot for me.

rk800 said:

You might want to check out why the public thinks before making ridiculous comments that Camilla will never be "favoured". People round the world who come into contact with British Royal stories fit into 3 categories, those who don't care period, Diana Fangirls and those with an objective view of past as current events.

Also; "she will always be known as the woman who stole Charles" is incorrect. She might be known like that to you and other Fangirls, but not everyone in the world who I doubt you could speak for.

Oh almost forgot your first post in this thread contain some very rude comments, and some rather incorrect statements as well. Particularly Camilla copying off Diana, HA! Why would she want to copy off someone who did almost everything wrong in her life, save her children.

Last edited:
I loved Princess Diana. However, I also really like Camillia, and have enjoyed her contributions to the BRF...I don't feel the need to choose one or the other. I can respect and appreciate each royal lady as a unique and individual human being.

No media ever compares Camilla and Diana anymore for years. How could they?
How can a glamorous mid thirties woman and a down to earth woman well into her 60s can be compared?

Over here in Germany the press is rather neutral if not friendly towards Camilla. She earned the respect of people who follow what she does.

I can respect Camilla, in fact, I like her very much for the public things she does and HOW she does them, imho she is doing a wonderful job. If that makes my character questionable, well, think what you want.

I like to believe I am objective in my views, I tend to be a little harsh on Diana in my current posts but that is mostly only if they are a rehash of the adultery, and Camilla, Charles, Diana triangle and I tend to point out that Diana wasn't as innocent as some would like her to believe.
When Princess Diana died for me it was like Titanic mania all over again, I had to have everything about her every book every magazine and I even brought into the blame the royal family for their coldness towards Diana. If this board had been in my life back then I would be just as much a fangirl as some currently are.
Camilla is completely different from Diana and there are no comparisons between the two. They may have been married to the same man, wear the same jewelry, and both had blonde hair, but that is really wear the comparisons end. From what I have seen, Camilla has no desire to attempt to be Diana and has tried to be as good of a step-mother to Diana's children as she can be.

I must say that I agree with you Patra, in my opinion a very sensible point of view.

I'm sorry, but I just can't respect anyone who holds an ounce of respect for Camilla..

Maybe you didn't mean to be insulting but the above comment is just that. The nice thing about this forum is that everyone can have their 'favorite' royal without putting down others who have a different opinion. Diana had many good qualities and Camilla has good qualities. We can spend pages listing each of their shortcomings. That really does no one any good. We cant redo the past- if there were no Princess Diana we would not have Prince William and Prince Harry.

I believe Camilla has done her best to live down the scandal, and imo she has succeeded to a large extent.
Furthermore, Charles seems relaxed and comfortable with her.

Back
Top Bottom