Camilla and The Public

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi kids!

I have been on vacation for a couple of weeks. Hope the holidays were good to you all.

I like her style..simple and classic...her clothes do not wear her, she wears her clothes. They are very tasteful for a lady at her stage in life.

She does seem to have found herself a style that looks good on her, doesn't she? Robinson Valentine must be reaping the rewards in much the same way that Catherine Walker did in the 1990s.

Elspeth said:
She does seem to have found herself a style that looks good on her, doesn't she? Robinson Valentine must be reaping the rewards in much the same way that Catherine Walker did in the 1990s.

I think they can now afford to pick who goes on their client list. They should be very proud of themselves!:)

Robinson Valentine. Finally got the name down. Is he still her primary dressmaker/fashion advisor? The outfits RV makes are so lovely--simple but elegant and, above all, appropriate for the occasion. I should think it would be hard to find a designer one can trust to properly support you by researching what you will need when you are out and about on engagements. But RV is doing a great job--and I have to give credit to Camilla, too, as she chose that firm.:)

It's actually two designers, Robinson and Valentine, both ladies working as a team. I forgot their first names.

Antonia Robinson and Anna Valentine. At least, I think it's that way round.

Elspeth said:
Antonia Robinson and Anna Valentine. At least, I think it's that way round.

You are quite right, it is Antonia Robinson and Anna Valentine. I love their extensive use of embroidery.

Camilla seems very nice and will always be there for her husband.

People who don't like her should realize that she makes mistakes just like everyone else.

I really like those series of photos capturing Camilla with all her expressions and it's just as funny to see how Charles cracks up in reaction. The old lady bag is hilarious, but the real gas is the one where she's following the Apache officer up the steps to the helicopter; her hand is - shall we say, strategically placed - and needs a special caption of its own.

On the other hand, I don't care how Camilla dresses (although it's always fun to critique her fashion) and don't rate her ability to be future Queen Consort on that basis, nor should anyone. She's brought Charles and his children much warmth and happiness, she's carrying out her royal duties with humor, poise and charm, and she's winning the approval of the public by those very attributes. If their PR people have had a hand in turning around the couple's public image - well, what of it - it's been done before. But Camilla's been largely responsible for the change in people's perception on her own merit, and she's done a lot of good for Charles' image as well just by their interraction in public. I think the majority of people are intelligent enough to realize that Camilla might just be the right lady for Charles and the job after all.

Last edited:

It is quite clear that the DM has finally decided to throw its lot in to support Camilla. I think she is doing a wonderful job as the DoC, and no doubt in time will do a sterling job as consort to the King. I suspect the DM is just falling in line with the changing public opinion in support of Camilla.

I really like those series of photos capturing Camilla with all her expressions and it's just as funny to see how Charles cracks up in reaction. The old lady bag is hilarious, but the real gas is the one where she's following the Apache officer up the steps to the helicopter; her hand is - shall we say, strategically placed - and needs a special caption of its own.

On the other hand, I don't care how Camilla dresses (although it's always fun to critique her fashion) and don't rate her ability to be future Queen Consort on that basis, nor should anyone. She's brought Charles and his children much warmth and happiness, she's carrying out her royal duties with humor, poise and charm, and she's winning the approval of the public by those very attributes. If their PR people have had a hand in turning around the couple's public image - well, what of it - it's been done before. But Camilla's been largely responsible for the change in people's perception on her own merit, and she's done a lot of good for Charles' image as well just by their interraction in public. I think the majority of people are intelligent enough to realize that Camilla might just be the right lady for Charles and the job after all.

Well-said!
It just goes to show that it is possible to live down a scandal, and resultant hostile opinion, and earn the respect of the public.

Yes,she has done a very good job in her public role.

Well said :clap:.

There's no doubt in my mind that Camila will do a great job as a Charles' consort. The indication of her being a good and genuine person is her interaction with children. Children are very candid beings, and if they don't like you, they won't bother hiding it. Children flock to Camila, and that shows us that she is a kind and caring individual.

The indication of her being a good and genuine person is her interaction with children. Children are very candid beings, and if they don't like you, they won't bother hiding it. Children flock to Camila, and that shows us that she is a kind and caring individual.

Totally agree. This picture is a perfect illustration - that little boy is relating to her like he would his mother - or any trusted adult. Beautiful to see. Not everyone has that ability for instant repoire with a child. It cannot be forced. The hardest thing to watch is when someone is trying hard to create the connection with a child - one wants to whisper in their ear to hold back more. Not with Camilla - the children come towards her. Speaks volumes about her.

http://tinyurl.com/czndjel

Last edited:
Her PR people are working over time. The royal family must be worried prince Philips scare will have brought home the fact the Queen will not be around for ever and I sadly think it could spell the end. Charles doesn't have the same love and respect from the people and Camilla certainly doesn't No matter how much spin they say and write

^^^^^
That may well be your personal view but doesn't represent all of his future subjects.

Not all of them but most I think IMO

I was one of those people who was a Diana fan and had absolutely no use for Camilla - the third person in the marriage.

But Camilla has worked very hard since she became the DoC. She always seems to be dressed appropriately and does not try to be the star of the show. She's a wonderful support for Charles and they always look so happy together. IMO Camilla has made him a better PoW.

I loved the pictures in the DM...Camilla just looks like such a nice person. And she must be...even William and Harry seem to really like her. I know that my opinion has changed and I would guess that generally public opinion is changing and the DM as you say, has picked up on that. Camilla is a hard person not to like.

Totally agree. This picture is a perfect illustration - that little boy is relating to her like he would his mother - or any trusted adult. Beautiful to see. Not everyone has that ability for instant repoire with a child. It cannot be forced. The hardest thing to watch is when someone is trying hard to create the connection with a child - one wants to whisper in their ear to hold back more. Not with Camilla - the children come towards her. Speaks volumes about her.

http://tinyurl.com/czndjel

That is very true. I know from experience that children can be the easiest to get along with, if they take to you (I know I prefer children [if with special needs then I'm even more at ease] to adults). The picture is telling us what words cannot. Probably one of my favorite images. Also, if you check in the thread that deals with the Duchess's patronages, you'll find pictures from the three decorating at Clarence House. There are quite a few images with a little boy who became Camilla's shadow. Again, says so much about her as a human being.

Her PR people are working over time. The royal family must be worried prince Philips scare will have brought home the fact the Queen will not be around for ever and I sadly think it could spell the end. Charles doesn't have the same love and respect from the people and Camilla certainly doesn't No matter how much spin they say and write

I think you're being a little too dark here. We cannot know how the public will receive Charles and Camilla when the time actually comes. For all we know, they could be a hit too. Moods and sentiments change as time goes by.

There will always be a core of people who can't move forward and do what obviously William and Harry have done - forgive Camilla for any role she played in the ending of their parents' marriage - and as they lived through it they have a better understanding of what went on.

There will always be a core of people who think Charles is way better off without Diana (and yes I am in that camp).

The majority of the people really couldn't care less but many of them are the ones who are coming to see Camilla as a warm-hearted woman who suits Charles and makes him a more contented person and a better PoW than ever Diana could have done. Slowly more and more people from this group are coming to support Camilla - for whatever reason.

It must also be remembered that there are an increasing number of people who simply don't remember Diana. She has been dead now for 14+ years so basically kids now leaving school will have no real memory of her. In 10 years time those people will be reaching their late 20s. Time is the one thing still on Camilla's side in turning round public sentiment - as she is seen supporting Charles, as she is seen with William and/or Kate etc she will continue to win over people except the hard-core haters.

I don't think time is on her side or Charles the older they become the less they will appeal to younger people. William and Catherine are the future .C&C are irrelevant. Just a fact of having a long living monarch (which of course is wonderful and I hope continues)

I have come to like and respect Camilla far more than I ever will for her husband. She is a great asset to Charles.
IMO there is absolutely no point wallowing in the past its already done. Diana made her mark on history and will never be erased much to the dismay or happiness of some. It brings me great pleasure to know in the last year of her life Diana was out of that meaningless marriage and started to discover her self and enjoy life.
Why should Camilla be denied that?

I'm sure Camilla is happy but I think her public appeal isn't what her PR people are trying to make out. Most people , not royal followers , don't care about her.

Most people don't care about any of the royals.

Time is on the side of Charles and Camilla as the people rally around the aged new King - for the simple reason that they will empathise with him when his mother dies.

Charles has long-lived genes in his ancestry so there is a very good chance that he will live for 20+ years after the death of his mother - not such a short reign. Edward VII had a short reign because he had never taken very good care of his health while Charles has always taken good care of himself.

If Charles lives to the age of his grandmother - William will be in his late 60s when he becomes King - not such a young man by then. Even if Charles only lives as long as his father William will be late 50s. There will be a series of elderly monarchs over the next century.

By the time William becomes King his heir will be the popular young royal - just as Elizabeth was in the late 40s early 50s, Charles in the late 70s early 80s and now William. It is the way of the institution - to admire youth, despise middle age and then value old age and experience.

But does Camilla have long life genes ?and she hasn't looked after herself So maybe the idea of her being Queen won't happen

Her father lived to 89 so that is one long-lived ancestor. His father lived to 72. Maternal grandmother lived to 86. So like Charles she has some long-lived genes within a couple of generations.

Yes she has smoked but has now stopped - will that affect her in the years ahead - we don't know.

Her father lived to 89 so that is one long-lived ancestor. His father lived to 72. Maternal grandmother lived to 86. So like Charles she has some long-lived genes within a couple of generations.

Yes she has smoked but has now stopped - will that affect her in the years ahead - we don't know.
Camilla's main problem is that she may very well be have inherited the Osteoporosis that made her mother's life a living hell. That's genetic and even health nuts are brought low by it.

But does Camilla have long life genes? And she hasn't looked after herself - so maybe the idea of her being Queen won't happen.

Whew! I'm not sure how what is written is actually meant, but there's something disquieting hearing someone wishing or 'hoping' for someone's demise. I can't believe that this is a healthy thing - especially towards a stranger. This goes too far. I don't know what to make of it. Perspective....

Back
Top Bottom