The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-22-2020, 09:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I think Megan has given people something else to focus their ire on and that helps Camilla.
I dont think so. I think that there is a large sub set of people who just wont ever forgive her for the Diana years.. and I think that the general public who take a bit of interest have been OK wiht her for a while but since things like Di's 20th anniversary, and the Crown TV series etc the somewhat negative mindset has grown again...
Besides I think that people who tended to like Meghan and Harry are likely to be Diana fans as well,

Old 11-22-2020, 12:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It's been 15 years already since Camilla became a working member of the RF and, although she is not as hated as she was in the Diana years, she has not become particularly popular either.

Camilla seems to be comfortable with her low profile and not being the "Princess of Wales", but rather just the Duchess of Cornwall. I think she would be comfortable too with being the Princess Consort and won't insist on being crowned Queen. The early years of Charles' reign will be shaky as QEII will leave big shoes to fill and Charles is not popular either. I don't see him wanting to stir up controversy by reneging on his previously announced "intention" that Camilla be styled as Princess Consort.
Iím sure theyíve both -especially Charles- acknowledged that they wonít ever be popular, and come to terms with it. I understand why he wouldnít want to antagonize the public, but I also think itís hideously unfair...even if Camilla doesnít care.

Old 11-22-2020, 12:08 PM
Aristocracy

When Charles is King, Queen Camilla will be a thing. She will die a Queen.

I am torn on Camilla, it's clear Charles loved her his whole life and really only needed heirs so he married Diana. Diana's family should have been more suspicious with how young she was. She was young and naÔve. Camilla was the other woman, will always be seen that way to others but in reality she's the true love and the love of his life. If Charles wasn't an heir, he would have married her years ago.

Charles & Camilla handled things very poorly but it's clear he's always been in love with her and she's in love with him. I also am a Diana fan and I feel for her knowing she lost her life, Camilla is now the step-mom to her kids and will be a step-grandparent to her kids. It must be hard to be dead and watch the woman you hate around your family. I always wondered if Harry & William resent her, but it's whatever. I think the public will never move on because Diana died. if Diana had lived, it would have been easier to accept Camila as Diana would have lived her own life.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess_Watcher View Post
When Charles is King, Queen Camilla will be a thing. She will die a Queen.

I am torn on Camilla, it's clear Charles loved her his whole life and really only needed heirs so he married Diana. Diana's family should have been more suspicious with how young she was. She was young and naÔve. Camilla was the other woman, will always be seen that way to others but in reality she's the true love and the love of his life. If Charles wasn't an heir, he would have married her years ago.

Charles & Camilla handled things very poorly but it's clear he's always been in love with her and she's in love with him. I also am a Diana fan and I feel for her knowing she lost her life, Camilla is now the step-mom to her kids and will be a step-grandparent to her kids. It must be hard to be dead and watch the woman you hate around your family. I always wondered if Harry & William resent her, but it's whatever. I think the public will never move on because Diana died. if Diana had lived, it would have been easier to accept Camila as Diana would have lived her own life.
Barring a small minority, I think most people have accepted Camilla as Charles' wife. They have been married 15 years. Diana and Charles divorced 24 years ago, and Diana died 23 years ago. They were not the first couple to divorce. C&C were not the first couple to have an extra-marital affair and then marry. c30-40% of UK marriages end in divorce.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Barring a small minority, I think most people have accepted Camilla as Charles' wife. They have been married 15 years. Diana and Charles divorced 24 years ago, and Diana died 23 years ago. They were not the first couple to divorce. C&C were not the first couple to have an extra-marital affair and then marry. c30-40% of UK marriages end in divorce.
Of course not and I agree, but it's the way Diana was used for heirs, cheated on and then had a tragic death that leaves a sour taste in people's mouths. Then Camilla has stepped in to be her kids step-mother and step-grandmother.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
He will make her Queen, regardless what it is the public opinion. She will never be as popular and loved as Diane. But she is the person who had always loved. It was ashamed that he wasn't understood from the beginning so Diana had not to endure her life living with him. One thing I will never understand after the disaster life of Margrethe's life without the love of her life how is possible the Queen did not get the message?

What makes you think that it was the Queen who prevented Charles from marrying Camilla? As far as I understand, that is not what happened.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I've read that Charles' marriage to Camilla is what made it possible for Harry to wed Meghan.

Still, I agree with Denville that there are still many Diana fans who will always see Camilla as the obstacle to the "fairytale" marriage.
It's not fair, but it is what it is.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I've read that Charles' marriage to Camilla is what made it possible for Harry to wed Meghan.

Still, I agree with Denville that there are still many Diana fans who will always see Camilla as the obstacle to the "fairytale" marriage.
It's not fair, but it is what it is.
That seems to be the attitude that Charles and Camilla have taken...they certainly arenít courting popularity, just doing their thing, which I find admirable.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:04 PM
Serene Highness

I do wish that people would get past all this. It was a long time ago. Camilla has worked so hard over the past 15 years. William and Harry clearly get on with her. She makes Prince Charles happy - and he must take a lot of putting up with.

There never was a fairytale marriage. Charles and Diana were not suited. If they hadn't been the Prince and Princess of Wales, they'd have got divorced after a few years, tried to get on for the sake of the children, and both moved on with their lives. But, as others have said, some people just can't seem to accept that!

I never get the impression that the Queen tried to stop Charles from marrying Camilla in the 1970s. I don't think the question ever arose. Camilla chose to marry Andrew Parker Bowles: I don't get the impression that marriage between her and Charles at that point was ever on the cards.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:54 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
He will make her Queen, regardless what it is the public opinion. She will never be as popular and loved as Diane. But she is the person who had always loved. It was ashamed that he wasn't understood from the beginning so Diana had not to endure her life living with him. One thing I will never understand after the disaster life of Margrethe's life without the love of her life how is possible the Queen did not get the message?
Because Diana said yes. She didn't ask for more time or a break. She wanted to marry Charles.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
That seems to be the attitude that Charles and Camilla have taken...they certainly arenít courting popularity, just doing their thing, which I find admirable.
Charles did hire Mark Bolland to work with Camilla and they do use PR like all other royals.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Yes it is and IMHO it is due to the fact that they're not overtly and continuously focused on raising their popularity numbers that I have changed my initial opinion of this couple, especially Camilla.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:25 AM
Courtier

who exactly are the people surveyed re: popularity of the royals?
Old 11-23-2020, 12:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
who exactly are the people surveyed re: popularity of the royals?

That depends upon the firm conducting the poll and where/when it gathers its responses.

Here is one of the more recent polls conducted by the well-respected YouGov UK from October 2020. They ask respondents to give their age, gender, location and political party.

More on their polling methodology.
https://yougov.co.uk/about/panel-methodology/

Here is the summary on the Duchess of Cornwall.
Quote:
The Duchess of Cornwall, Camilla, has split public opinion in the latest round of YouGov Royal Favourability tracking, with 44% viewing her positively and 43% negatively, for a net score of 1.
Click on the link below to find the summary and the full report.

The company gives this information as to whom was polled (Adults in the UK) and the sample size (1,626).
Quote:
Sample Size: 1626 GB Adults
Fieldwork: 2nd - 4th October 2020
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/entertai...nd-meghan-drop
Old 11-23-2020, 01:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Yes it is and IMHO it is due to the fact that they're not overtly and continuously focused on raising their popularity numbers that I have changed my initial opinion of this couple, especially Camilla.
I donít think youíre the only one. Courting popularity would have smacked of desperation and a need to be liked. Charles and Camilla are doing what they believe is right, they are living their authentic lives. In doing so, they havenít given much if anything for the media to chew on and, in fact, the media seems to have realized that there were two sides to the story of the War of the Wales. Some people will always hate C and C, but many have come around because C and C have done so much good. Plus, the Queen is a fan of Camilla ..thatís always a good thing, lol
Old 11-23-2020, 01:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I donít think youíre the only one. Courting popularity would have smacked of desperation and a need to be liked. Charles and Camilla are doing what they believe is right, they are living their authentic lives. In doing so, they havenít given much if anything for the media to chew on and, in fact, the media seems to have realized that there were two sides to the story of the War of the Wales. Some people will always hate C and C, but many have come around because C and C have done so much good. Plus, the Queen is a fan of Camilla ..thatís always a good thing, lol
It took quite some time before the queen was willing to Accept Camilla as Charles' future wife.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
It took quite some time before the queen was willing to Accept Camilla as Charles' future wife.
Yes it did......but when HM gave Camilla a chance, she took to her, so......
Old 11-23-2020, 03:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeyah View Post
Comment: Camilla is the greatest victim of The Crown's republican lies

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, is one of the most impressive, hard-working and dedicated members of the Royal Family, yet her rights as a woman are being denied.

Under British law, women have the right to take the same rank and status as their husbands, yet today Camilla is not the Princess of Wales, and when her husband becomes King she will, as things stand, be the Princess Consort rather than Queen. Despite having been married to Prince Charles for 15 years, during which she has made him happier than at any other stage of his life, she is going to be denied the right of equality that has been accorded every other monarch's wife in a thousand years of British history.

This aberrant Ė indeed abhorrent Ė situation is being further entrenched by the fourth season of Netflix's TV series The Crown, which covers the start of Prince Charles's marital breakup with his first wife, Diana, Princess of Wales, before the fifth season covers her tragic death. Despite the fact that it is largely fiction from start to finish, such is its power over the public imagination that it will open up the whole painful, but now ancient, story, to the inevitable detriment of the reputations of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle...SQ5KWKI746GOU/
Well, I agree with you! "The cown" (this series IMO does not deserve this title...) digs out old resentments that slowly began to heal over the years. Here we are again, back in the 1990s: Evil Charles and Camilla, the cold Queen and the saintly Diana....! Iīm so fed up with this clichť like, black and white image of the brit. RF. This series is like one huge republican propaganda clip... The mess is that unreflected people, unable to divide fiction from reality, think all this is authentic....!
Old 11-23-2020, 05:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Yes it did......but when HM gave Camilla a chance, she took to her, so......
She certainly was very dubious about Camilla and refused for a long time to meet her. It took a long time before she accepted that Charles was really determined to stay iwth her and that it would be better for Camilla to be his wife, rather than his mistress. I think she likes her on a personal level but being happy about her marrying charles was another matter....
Old 11-23-2020, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Just to advise that a number of posts discussing titles have been moved to the Questions About British Styles and Titles thread - https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ml#post2356539

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, public opinion