Camilla and The Public

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think Camilla wants to be like Diana at all - why would she? The original was a nightmare enough for the Royal Family without a faded copy. In a way, Camilla can't help but be like Diana. She's a member of the Royal Family and she has a set image to follow. Camilla has to wave on the balcony, wear pretty hats and meet sick people - and she's Princess of Wales and married to Charles. There's a level of similarity but I agree - she should be herself and I think she is. We can only go on what we've seen of her so far and I think it's all been wonderful.

Queen Mary I said:
I think Camilla would be crucified (in the press) if she tried to be like a Diana (which I am quite sure she does not want to do). She should just be herself. That is really all she can do without coming off as artificial.

I think most people have grown beyond wanting a repeat of all the drama we had with Diana.

I am 40 and like Camilla's style. It's simple, uncomplicated and very pretty. But her clothes are really secondary to her personality. She glows IMO and has a very warm smile and kind, "I am interested in you," eyes. Does she stick with mainly UK designers? I know I botched the name of the design firm which designed her wedding dress but I have read little about the designers she favors for shoes, handbags....even who does her hair.

Skydragon said:
I think most people have grown beyond wanting a repeat of all the drama we had with Diana.

I think I am going to get away from Diana in this thread-and I hope everyone else does too.

Didn't you bring her up in the first place?

Don't even think about going there, you two.

Now, both of you back off, put your hackles down, go and have a nice up of tea, and stop this incessant bickering.

Elspeth

Royal Forums administrator

BeatrixFan said:
Didn't you bring her up in the first place?

I don't think so. But I am trying to steer this back to pleasant waters. I would hope we could all try and cooperate.

I wouldn't go anywhere you didn't want me to Elspeth. I'm still rather full of gin and tonic from last night - blame it on my slightly inebriated state. ;)

maryshawn said:
I am 40 and like Camilla's style. It's simple, uncomplicated and very pretty. But her clothes are really secondary to her personality. She glows IMO and has a very warm smile and kind, "I am interested in you," eyes. Does she stick with mainly UK designers? I know I botched the name of the design firm which designed her wedding dress but I have read little about the designers she favors for shoes, handbags....even who does her hair.

I too thought Robinson Valentine was one man, that is the name their collection is sold under and most of us presumed it was a man. Some of her outfits are quite inexpensive and very few of the designers seem, at the moment, to advertise the fact that they are designing for her. I love the embroidered items she wears.
With Camilla, none of it feels superficial, she really comes across as wanting to know about you I believe.

She really does seem to leave everyone who meets her, with a happy glow, I really do think that she is an absolute gem.:)

In time Camilla will get to award Royal Warrants and then we'll know exactly who she favours fashion wise!

Oh goody - drunk in charge of a mouse. Sounds as though you really do need that cup of tea!

Elspeth said:

Now, both of you back off, put your hackles down, go and have a nice up of tea, and stop this incessant bickering.

Elspeth

Actually I am going to have this wonderful Cuban egg nog I received as a gift. And fulfill my New Years resolution of ignoring inflammatory posts-and not starting any. Promise.

LOL. In charge of a mouse? Anywho.....

This the clip that I mentioned in another thread. This really does show Camilla up close and personal with the public. And this clip is amazing because it shows Camilla's reactions to the camera's who were desperate to catch the shot of the chap (David) kissing her. Listen out for 'and the other one' when she kisses him. It also shows how Charles and Camilla function as a couple , "This is the poet I'm always telling you about". I love this clip and if the link runs out or doesn't work then let me know and I'll post it again.

It's a clip from The Queen's Castle, BBC.

CLIP

Elspeth said:
Oh goody - drunk in charge of a mouse. Sounds as though you really do need that cup of tea!

Better than being drunk in charge of a horse. lol:D

Or a latte. I'm going to Starbucks now for a soothing mocha, peppermint and caramel non-fat latte! Don't gag; they're actually quite good!!!!

Elspeth said:

Elspeth

I'd forgotten about those--geez, even in your gin and tonic recovering state, you're miles ahead of me! Does one have to be royal for awhile before awarding them?

BeatrixFan said:
In time Camilla will get to award Royal Warrants and then we'll know exactly who she favours fashion wise!

Well, the Queen, Prince Philip, Prince Charles and the Queen Mother all award(ed) warrants. They might have a Royal Warrant for Camilla as Duchess of Cornwall, but even if they don't, when she's Queen she'll be able to give out Royal Warrants as long as Charles lets her. And I think he will. 'By Appointment to HM Queen Camilla' - sounds good doesn't it!

I can't see Charles not letting her do so. I think he would want her to have all the privileges that come with her role. Even now, if Camilla really, really wanted to give this particular honor to a firm, could she do so under Charles' name?

BeatrixFan said:
Well, the Queen, Prince Philip, Prince Charles and the Queen Mother all award(ed) warrants. They might have a Royal Warrant for Camilla as Duchess of Cornwall, but even if they don't, when she's Queen she'll be able to give out Royal Warrants as long as Charles lets her. And I think he will. 'By Appointment to HM Queen Camilla' - sounds good doesn't it!

Well, I don't know if Charles's warrants have been renamed as 'By Appointment to The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall'. I mean, if they have then it covers both. If not then Camilla could ask him to give one to a company she uses - but it's usually done on household. So for example, the Queen has Robinson's cordials so they got a Royal Warrant because she drinks it. It's not so much about whether the Queen likes a product - it's really to show that they supply the Queen with a product. And then the Hyacinth Bucket's of the world can boast that they have the same tea as Her Majesty.

Ahhhhh, I get it now!

Does Harrod's have a warrant? I'd heard royals like PMargaret shopped there often enough and were given lovely gifts. Harrod's has even sponsored some polo matches for the royal family--or for causes near and dear to the royals' hearts.

BeatrixFan said:
Well, I don't know if Charles's warrants have been renamed as 'By Appointment to The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall'. I mean, if they have then it covers both. If not then Camilla could ask him to give one to a company she uses - but it's usually done on household. So for example, the Queen has Robinson's cordials so they got a Royal Warrant because she drinks it. It's not so much about whether the Queen likes a product - it's really to show that they supply the Queen with a product. And then the Hyacinth Bucket's of the world can boast that they have the same tea as Her Majesty.

OK, off topic but we did get on to a mouse..... Does cuban egg nog--you've really gotten my interest going here--have anything in it, like rum?????;) What makes is "cuban?" (besides the fact it's probably made in Cuba!)

Queen Mary I said:
Actually I am going to have this wonderful Cuban egg nog I received as a gift. And fulfill my New Years resolution of ignoring inflammatory posts-and not starting any. Promise.

maryshawn said:
Ahhhhh, I get it now!
Does Harrod's have a warrant? I'd heard royals like PMargaret shopped there often enough and were given lovely gifts. Harrod's has even sponsored some polo matches for the royal family--or for causes near and dear to the royals' hearts.
Harrod's used to have Royal Warrants from the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales.

Certainly the Duke of Edinburgh cancelled his Royal Warrant there in the mid-90s but it was because he didn't shop there any more and not because of Dodi and Diana. It may also have been to do with the Duke's personal views of Fayed but that is reading between the lines of the two men's relationship rather than on any facts. Fayed made a comment about it not mattering as nobody cared about what the Duke of Edinburgh thought anyway.

I think the Prince of Wales ended his warrant around the time of the divorce as it was Diana who shopped there and not him.

I don't know if the Queen still has a warrant there.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the Royal Warrants have gone from Harrods and quite frankly, if they hadn't I'd climb up with a screwdriver and take them off myself. That ghastly man doesn't deserve Royal patronage.

maryshawn said:
OK, off topic but we did get on to a mouse..... Does cuban egg nog--you've really gotten my interest going here--have anything in it, like rum?????;) What makes is "cuban?" (besides the fact it's probably made in Cuba!)

Well a friend at work (I work part of the time in Florida) brought it in. I actually am probably being incredibly ignorant. I call it 'Cuban Egg Nog' because my amiga is Cuban and she calls it 'Crema de Vie'. I told her it was Heavenly and reminded me of egg nog-she said it IS egg nog. True there are varieties the world over. It has Coconut Cream, amongst other goodies, LOTS Of Rum and it was a smash hit at the politically correct office Holiday Party!The best part was that she gave each of us these delicate individual bottles tied with red ribbon. yummy! And one cuppa is NOT enough! I saved mine for the New Year. And begged her for the recipe! I haven't tried it on my own yet. I never had Tropical nog before and it was lovely! I think-I'm not sure I remember. ;) I found this Puerto Rican nog online that is VERY close and eerily similar story about the friend's nog being a smash-though my friend's name is Maria not Miriam-lots of friends from the Tropics have contributed fabulous drinks to the world!: http://www.chiff.com/a/eggnog.htm

Erm to try to get back on Topic :D I've only found mostly references to Camilla quitting smoking but I did find this one tiny tidbit that she allegedly used Yoga to help her quit-it's a teeny tiny piece and one has to scroll down a bit to get to Camilla's section:

http://www.fp1.com/news/news5/news.html

I haven't been able to locate the original reference source.

Last edited:
chrissy57 said:
Harrod's used to have Royal Warrants from the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales.

Certainly the Duke of Edinburgh cancelled his Royal Warrant there in the mid-90s but it was because he didn't shop there any more and not because of Dodi and Diana. It may also have been to do with the Duke's personal views of Fayed but that is reading between the lines of the two men's relationship rather than on any facts. Fayed made a comment about it not mattering as nobody cared about what the Duke of Edinburgh thought anyway.

I think the Prince of Wales ended his warrant around the time of the divorce as it was Diana who shopped there and not him.

I don't know if the Queen still has a warrant there.

All the warrants came down at about the same time, although I don't think they'd all actually expired by then. Pretty much a case of knowing that they wouldn't be renewed and staging a pre-emptive strike by taking them off the storefront voluntarily before being made to do so. You can hardly blame the Duke for not wishing to patronise a shop owned by a man who'd accused him of being the mastermind behind a murder conspiracy.

Well, between G&Ts and Cuban eggnog, I'm impressed that you're all managing whole sentences!

<stern nannying tone> You'll regret it in the morning, you know...</nanny>

BeatrixFan said:

Prince Philip issued his own warrants, as did the Queen Mother. I don't think Diana ever did, so perhaps Camilla won't be doing so until Charles becomes king.

Elspeth said:
All the warrants came down at about the same time, although I don't think they'd all actually expired by then. Pretty much a case of knowing that they wouldn't be renewed and staging a pre-emptive strike by taking them off the storefront voluntarily before being made to do so. You can hardly blame the Duke for not wishing to patronise a shop owned by a man who'd accused him of being the mastermind behind a murder conspiracy.

Elspeth do you know the actual date of when the DoE cancelled his warrant?

For some reason I thought it was before Diana's death but it may only have been by a few months?

Just curious and being lazy on this Monday afternoon!!!

End of 2000 according to the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/601935.stm

I think it was more a matter of letting it be known that the warrant wouldn't be renewed than of actually cancelling it in midstream, but the essential message was pretty much the same.

Thanks Elspeth.

For some reason I thought it was earlier - I was in London in 1995 and thought it was about the time of that visit but my memory must be failing me as I approach (now what was my age again!!).

Back
Top Bottom