Camilla and The Public

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let’s move on from the discussion of Prince Charles’ first marriage.

Always been one of my favorites. She’s the real deal in my eyes.

Statements [alleged] to have been made to a Tabloid paper, [and published in another] are scarcely 'authoritative'.

Unless [and until] we hear/see [in 'black and white'] a Buckingham Palace statement confirming this, i'll doubt its veracity...

Last edited:
Statements [alleged] to have been made to a Tabloid paper, are scarcely 'authoritative.

Unless [and until] we hear/see [in 'black and white'] a Buckingham Palace statement confirming this, i'll doubt its veracity...

It does seem odd to have it come up again as the issue has been in abeyance for some time.

Princess Consort? That doesn’t seem right at all...

Why? It was announced at the time of the marriage that Camilla would be Princess Consort rather than queen. It has not been mentioned for a while now but that was the original intention.

Why? It was announced at the time of the marriage that Camilla would be Princess Consort rather than queen. It has not been mentioned for a while now but that was the original intention.

Was it? I guess “Princess” just doesn’t sound like the wife of the King.

Yes it was. It was announced at the time of the weddng and attracted comment, because it was unusual.

It's certainly what was said at the time, but that was when there was still a lot of hostility towards Camilla from Diana superfans, and also when acceptance of divorcees marrying into the Royal Family was still a moot point.

Times have changed since then, and IMHO Camilla should be known as Queen when the time comes, but I don't see why the issue's being raised now. And what's with that "when the Queen steps down" headline. The Queen isn't stepping down.

I don't see what the problem is. The title of "Princess of Wales" was closely associated with Diana, especially as there hadn't been a previous Princess of Wales since 1936, and it would have been awkward for Camilla to use that, but there's no reason she shouldn't be known as Queen. I think it'd be very insulting if she wasn't: it'd be suggesting that she had some sort of second class status. Marriages end. People remarry. It was all a long time ago.

Yes indeed it was, Clarence House released the information in an official press release.

It is intended that Mrs Parker Bowles should use the title HRH The Princess Consort when The Prince of Wales accedes to The Throne.

https://web.archive.org/web/2014062...rh-the-prince-of-wales-and-mrs-camilla-parker

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...known-Princess-not-Queen-Charles-crowned.html

Clarence House said: 'The intention is for The Duchess to be known as Princess Consort when The Prince accedes to the throne.'

The papers are just repeating what Clarence house said 15 years ago, whether that's what is going to happen is a different matter.

Last edited:
It's certainly what was said at the time, but that was when there was still a lot of hostility towards Camilla from Diana superfans, and also when acceptance of divorcees marrying into the Royal Family was still a moot point.

Times have changed since then, and IMHO Camilla should be known as Queen when the time comes, but I don't see why the issue's being raised now. And what's with that "when the Queen steps down" headline. The Queen isn't stepping down.

I don't see what the problem is. The title of "Princess of Wales" was closely associated with Diana, especially as there hadn't been a previous Princess of Wales since 1936, and it would have been awkward for Camilla to use that, but there's no reason she shouldn't be known as Queen. I think it'd be very insulting if she wasn't: it'd be suggesting that she had some sort of second class status. Marriages end. People remarry. It was all a long time ago.
I don't know what to make of it. I thought for some time it was more likely that she would be titled Queen.. but they may have been taking soundings again, and have decided to again state that she will be Princess Consort. I think that the truth is, there is a lack of popularity for Charles and Camilla and towards the idea of her being Queen. If something reappears on their website we will know...

Have you ever heard of a British king's wife with the title of princess?

I always thought that Camilla didn't use the title of Princess of Wales to keep from hurting Diana's fans. But I see no reason not to use the title of queen consort.

. I think it'd be very insulting if she wasn't: it'd be suggesting that she had some sort of second class status. Marriages end. People remarry. It was all a long time ago.

Its unlikely [even inconceivable] that the Prince of Wales would allow his beloved Wife to be publicly insulted in this manner - she was 'non-negotiable', remember ?

The Kings Wife IS Queen, there is no other title [in Law] available - as 'Cornwall' was for the wife of the Prince of Wales [not wishing to use her highest ranking Title]..

No such 'secondary' option is there for a Kings wife.

Last edited:
If nothing had been said at the time of Charles and Camilla's marriage, I doubt that there'd be any question that she'd be Queen. But the "Princess Consort" announcement was made along with the "Duchess of Cornwall" announcement, because at the time feelings were still running high over Diana. They probably wish they hadn't said it now, but, OK, it seemed like a good idea at the time. It was just an announcement, though - it's not as if it was a Royal Proclamation or an Act of Parliament - so there's no reason they can't change their minds, and I think Camilla has won the acceptance of the public now.

Its unlikely [even inconceivable] that the Prince of Wales would allow his beloved Wife to be publicly insulted in this manner - she was 'non-negotiable', remember ?

The Kings Wife IS Queen, there is no other title [in Law] available - as 'Cornwall' was for the wife of the Prince of Wales [not wishing to use her highest ranking Title]..

No such 'secondary' option is there for a Kings wife.

I agree with you on all points but I do think there may be a difference of opinion between Charles & Camilla. It's very clear that she doesn't give two figs about her title or status and she'll be aware of the limited public support she has for taking the title Queen (from reputable polls taken regularly). Given her track record of appearing happy to play second fiddle, I suspect she's reluctant to cause problems / distractions for Charles when he becomes King so although she will be Queen, the title Princess Consort avoids upsetting her critics. On the other hand, I suspect Charles is determined she'll be his Queen & will do his utmost to persuade her to take the title in the hope that the public will adapt & support him.

My personal view is that Camilla should just go for it, take the title Queen & people will become familiar with it quite quickly. The public isn't going to erect barricades & storm the palace. As I've said before, we rarely do revolutions here. We're mostly a placid country, saving our passions for cricket, tea, biscuits and discussing the weather. There will be some grumbles, a few papers might try to whip up a drama but ultimately, she'll be Queen & we'll move on.

If nothing had been said at the time of Charles and Camilla's marriage, I doubt that there'd be any question that she'd be Queen. But the "Princess Consort" announcement was made along with the "Duchess of Cornwall" announcement, because at the time feelings were still running high over Diana. They probably wish they hadn't said it now, but, OK, it seemed like a good idea at the time. It was just an announcement, though - it's not as if it was a Royal Proclamation or an Act of Parliament - so there's no reason they can't change their minds, and I think Camilla has won the acceptance of the public now.

I agree...I mean, there will always be people who hate Camilla, but for the most part the public has accepted her. More importantly, the Queen has as well. Camilla’s proven her worth, she’s been a wonderful support and booster for her husband.....it shouldn’t be an issue.

Lily:

I agree with you on all points but I do think there may be a difference of opinion between Charles & Camilla. It's very clear that she doesn't give two figs about her title or status and she'll be aware of the limited public support she has for taking the title Queen (from reputable polls taken regularly). Given her track record of appearing happy to play second fiddle, I suspect she's reluctant to cause problems / distractions for Charles when he becomes King so although she will be Queen, the title Princess Consort avoids upsetting her critics. On the other hand, I suspect Charles is determined she'll be his Queen & will do his utmost to persuade her to take the title in the hope that the public will adapt & support him.

My personal view is that Camilla should just go for it, take the title Queen & people will become familiar with it quite quickly. The public isn't going to erect barricades & storm the palace. As I've said before, we rarely do revolutions here. We're mostly a placid country, saving our passions for cricket, tea, biscuits and discussing the weather. There will be some grumbles, a few papers might try to whip up a drama but ultimately, she'll be Queen & we'll move on.

I completely agree. I would also add that Charles isn’t going to want to make it appear as if he and Camilla gave in to public pressure. She’s his wife, she’s been an wonderful, upstanding member of the family, and she’s deservedly Queen. If some take this as an anti-Diana move, that’s their issue.

Have you ever heard of a British king's wife with the title of princess?

I always thought that Camilla didn't use the title of Princess of Wales to keep from hurting Diana's fans. But I see no reason not to use the title of queen consort.

No matter, they said at the time of the marriage that it was intended that she would use the title Princess Consort. In recent years possibly they have been hoping that the public would be OK with her being queen.... but Im not sure if that will happen.

Not so sure. I think that she's accepted but not really unquestioningly. If the RF are taking soundings, every now and then, they may come across the fact that her ratings are not that high..and maybe will decide to go with the lesser option. THey DID bring It up first...

There actually hadn't been a Princess of Wales since 1910 when George V became King. Although Edward VIII was Prince of Wales he didn't have a Princess and so prior to Diana the previous Princess of Wales was Queen Mary.

people will become familiar with it quite quickly. The public isn't going to erect barricades & storm the palace.

I think the Accession Council [held in the first 24 hours of the new Kings reign], is CRUCIAL in this.. if [along with his Regnal name], Camilla is proclaimed Queen, then the nation [in mourning] will unquestionably swing fully behind the bereaved King and Queen, and the rest of the Royal family.
And it will be [irrevocably] done.
No doubt all of this has been exhaustively discussed, examined 'with a fine tooth-comb' and already decided upon..

But we won't know what decision has been made until that day

Last edited:
I think they will go with the conservative option... I did think she mght be named as queen but in latter years Im not so sure.

There actually hadn't been a Princess of Wales since 1910 when George V became King. Although Edward VIII was Prince of Wales he didn't have a Princess and so prior to Diana the previous Princess of Wales was Queen Mary.

Sorry, total brain fail - put it down to it being Sunday night! Yes, if Edward had had a Princess of Wales, history would have been very different :lol:.

I agree that they should just proclaim Camilla Queen when the time comes. There's hardly going to be a revolution over it.

I think the Accession Council [held in the first 24 hours of the new Kings reign], is CRUCIAL in this.. if [along with his Regnal name], Camilla is proclaimed Queen, then the nation [in mourning] will unquestionably swing fully behind the bereaved King and Queen, and the rest of the Royal family.
And it will be [irrevocably] done.
No doubt all of this has been exhaustively discussed, examined 'with a fine tooth-comb' and already decided upon..

But we won't know what decision has been made until that day

I agree it's crucial to proclaim her Queen from the start. They need to be brave & just do it. Any objections are pure nonsense. We are a nation that now has a twice divorced Prime Minister with an indeterminate number of offspring and another on the way via his much younger girlfriend (now fiancee). Anyone becoming agitated over a once divorced Queen Consort needs to loosen up with some yoga (or pour themselves a large G&T).

Its my belief that the way things are now, the moment Charles becomes King, Camilla becomes Queen, it will be that if Camilla is to be known as something other than Queen Consort, that is what would need to be proclaimed at the time. ?

Bear with me if you see unusual things in my posts such as the "thumbs up" in the header. My system died and I'm on a still unfamiliar laptop that has a mind of its own at times. :lol:

Last edited:
If Camilla is to be styled as Princess Consort, then IMO set the precedent that the spouses of the monarch should be Prince/Princess Consort going forward. I realize that the way a royal family operates is the opposite of egalitarianism, but what's good for the gander should be good for the goose as well.

If Camilla is to be styled as Princess Consort, then IMO set the precedent that the spouses of the monarch should be Prince/Princess Consort going forward. I realize that the way a royal family operates is the opposite of egalitarianism, but what's good for the gander should be good for the goose as well.

Not necessarily. If that were the case then Kate would become Duchess of Cornwall when Charles becomes King. I think she and W will be Pr and Pss of Wales

IMO when Charles becomes King people will be so shaken by Queen Elisabeth passing that they won't be really interested about the subject of Camilla's title.

Back
Top Bottom