Camilla and The Public

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The title of what Camilla would use when Charles is King didn't need to be address at the time of their marriage. They could explain why the DoC instead of PoW and just stopped there. Using the DoC title was the concession.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I am afraid I have to disagree. At the time, there was quite a lot of debate in relation to her future titles, and the issue of whether she would be Queen or not had to be clarified. Tony Blair had to clarify in Parliament that when Charles accedes to the throne, Camilla will indeed be Queen legally, just as she is Princess of Wales.

Maybe your own option but is not reflected in the polls.

I realize you like C&C but William is light yeas ahead of Camilla in terms of POPULARITY

I agree and I don't know why people need to put William down to make Camilla look better

I agree and I don't know why people need to put William down to make Camilla look better

Or why people need to compare William's or Kate's popularity to put down Camilla.

I think Camilla herself couldn't care less what her style is. I hope Charles won't make a fuss about it. In the end it doesn't matter how she is styled, we all know who she is anyway.

I've always thought she was something of a good egg that enjoys a chuckle and a little dishing about friends. It's always been clear that she was a good listener and not an egoist. Like a number of her set, she practiced something of an open marriage, which can work unless the press grabs it and decides to expose it in the worst way. That will happen when the openness is with a prince who is married to "the people's princess." Bad luck, that.
Most of all, she clearly knows who she is and is comfortable in her own skin. People like that are indeed fun to be around.

I've always thought she was something of a good egg that enjoys a chuckle and a little dishing about friends. It's always been clear that she was a good listener and not an egoist. Like a number of her set, she practiced something of an open marriage, which can work unless the press grabs it and decides to expose it in the worst way. That will happen when the openness is with a prince who is married to "the people's princess." Bad luck, that.
Most of all, she clearly knows who she is and is comfortable in her own skin. People like that are indeed fun to be around.

I've always had the exact same impression of her, regarding everything you said. I'm glad the sexist press bashing of her as some sort of evil femme fatale seems to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I am delighted by all these positive comments, I have always appreciated her !

A beautifully written article. I agree 100% with the author.

The Duchess of Cornwall has proved that she's a lovely, adorable, woman, an asset to the Monarchy. When the time comes, she'll be a great Queen, or Princess Consort, because the title doesn't really matter: she's amazing!

Camilla has won us over, and deserves to become Queen - Telegraph
I really LOVE this article thank you for drawing our attention to it !!!!!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 1h 1 hour ago
Clarence House has said repeatedly Camilla doesn't want to be Queen - only Princess Consort. Surely no UK govt would force her to do it?

Richard Palmer can say whatever he wants. In the end, the final decision will be made by the man who'll be King (in agreement with his wife, of course). And when asked if the Duchess of Cornwall is going to be Queen, he said: "That could be."

The Duchess herself, when asked if she's going to be Queen, replied: "You never know."

This Princess Consort thing isn't set on stone. As things stand now, I'm confident she'll be called Her Majesty The Queen.

Richard Palmer can say whatever he wants. In the end, the final decision will be made by the man who'll be King (in agreement with his wife, of course). And when asked if the Duchess of Cornwall is going to be Queen, he said: "That could be."

The Duchess herself, when asked if she's going to be Queen, replied: "You never know."

This Princess Consort thing isn't set on stone. As things stand now, I'm confident she'll be called Her Majesty The Queen.

No matter if she's Her Majesty The Queen or Her Royal Highness The Princess Consort, Camilla will be Charles's Queen Consort.

Richard Palmer isn't saying anything, it's Clarence House officials that issues the same statement whenever their asked about Camilla's future title. Officials at Clarence House and Buckingham Palace has never changed where they stand on the issue.

Last edited:
No matter if she's Her Majesty The Queen or Her Royal Highness The Princess Consort, Camilla will be Charles's Queen Consort.

Of course she will. A thousand years of laws and customs say she'll be Queen.

Not satisfied enough with the somewhat positive YouGow poll claming that 49% of the British Public was ready to accept Camilla as Queen, the Daily Mail made his very own poll with some expected different results :

Camilla shouldn't be Queen, say public: And four in ten say Charles should step aside and let William be king | Daily Mail Online

You may dispute the accuracy of polls at your own peril, but the fact is that a significant percentage of the public still does not accept Camilla as queen and is even unsure about Charles as king.

And next week another poll will come out with different figures again. It comes down to the way the questions are asked, who is asked and every thing else.

Basic line is - about half the population are ok with Camilla as Queen while about half aren't.

About 40% still won't William to take his father's place - been dropping over the last few years - it was around 60 - 70% when he married.

I'll be happy when the time gets here and Charles ascends the throne. That way, Camilla's title issue will be settled once and for all and everyone can move on. No matter the polls, articles and other debates- the issue will be settled when Charles's succession kicks off.

Not necessarily - initially she will be Queen Consort. How soon after his accession the matter will be settled we don't know. To create her Princess Consort will mean he will have to issue LPs and parliament will have to pass legislation to strip her of her right to be equal to her husband - to actually deny her the right of every other woman in the land - to take the female style of her husband.

It could actually be an issue that plagues the first year or so of his reign as it has to be resolved by the coronation as a Queen Consort is crowned as Queen while a Princess Consort will simply sit in the balcony and not be part of the ceremony at all.

Not necessarily - initially she will be Queen Consort. How soon after his accession the matter will be settled we don't know. To create her Princess Consort will mean he will have to issue LPs and parliament will have to pass legislation to strip her of her right to be equal to her husband - to actually deny her the right of every other woman in the land - to take the female style of her husband.

It could actually be an issue that plagues the first year or so of his reign as it has to be resolved by the coronation as a Queen Consort is crowned as Queen while a Princess Consort will simply sit in the balcony and not be part of the ceremony at all.

Whatever or however it happens, I think everyone will be glad to have the issue officially addressed and eventually resolved. It may be a headache at first, but at least all the speculations and endless debates will end.

Could you do it without stripping the Queen title? Charles becomes King and then issues LP creating Camilla a Princess of the UK like Philip is. The Coronation you just crown Charles. George IV barred his Queen from his coronation.

What bugs me is why Charles would want his wife demoted from her legal title? There is no morganatic marriage in the UK. If the end game is for Camilla to be Queen than keeping up the Princess Consort bit seems to me as a hinderance.

What's going to be bad is- is this Camilla title debate going to happen right away instead of paying tribute to the Queen or is it just going to be in limbo for appropriate mourning period?

Last edited:
Could you do it without stripping the Queen title? Charles becomes King and then issues LP creating Camilla a Princess of the UK like Philip is. The Coronation you just crown Charles. George IV barred his Queen from his coronation.

What bugs me is why Charles would want his wife demoted from her legal title? There is no morganatic marriage in the UK. If the end game is for Camilla to be Queen than keeping up the Princess Consort bit seems to me as a hinderance.

What's going to be bad is- is this Camilla title debate going to happen right away instead of paying tribute to the Queen or is it just going to be in limbo for appropriate mourning period?

Would the CoE crown a queen who is not married to the king in the Church ?

George IV was able to deny his wife the right to be Crowned alongside him but he never tried to strip her of her legal title - neither he nor the government of the day even suggested such a thing. She was Queen from his accession until her death.

What is needed for Camilla is for her to be actually stripped of the title of Queen to give her a lesser title - making the marriage morganatic and thus saying she isn't his equal and even raising the question of her right to accompany him to different places etc.

Would the CoE crown a queen who is not married to the king in the Church ?

The Archbishop of Canterbury blessed the marriage very publicly.

If that was going to be an issue it would have been made public at the time.

George IV did try to strip her of the title of Queen. It pass the House of Lords but got withdrawn.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pains_and_Penalties_Bill_1820

However Charles doesn't hate his wife like George IV did. So Camilla wanting to use a lesser title but still do the duties of a Queen Consort baffles me.

As you said, the Archbishop blessed them,as the CoE now often does in the case of divorcees, but he didn't marry them. Charles and Camilla had a civil wedding, but were not remarried in the Church.

George IV did try to strip her of the title of Queen. It pass the House of Lords but got withdrawn.

Pains and Penalties Bill 1820 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However Charles doesn't hate his wife like George IV did. So Camilla wanting to use a lesser title but still do the duties of a Queen Consort baffles me.

She decided to use a lesser title in her current role. She don't use the title of Princess of Wales and palace and Clarence House officials don't acknowledge her as so. She's done just fine as with the title, Duchess of Cornwall. She'll do just fine with the title of, Her Royal Highness The Princess Consort.

As you said, the Archbishop blessed them,as the CoE now often does in the case of divorcees, but he didn't marry them. Charles and Camilla had a civil wedding, but were not remarried in the Church.

The Church of England is far more tolerant than posters on this forum. Having blessed the marriage I can see no reason why the Archbishop would have a problem crowning Camilla.

Of course, there will be a vocal minority who will protest.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Duchess of Cornwall however is one of Charles' titles but when King he won't have the title of Prince and so she will have to actually be stripped of her rights to take her husband's titles and ranks by being given a lower title than that of her husband.

Duchess of Cornwall however is one of Charles' titles but when King he won't have the title of Prince and so she will have to actually be stripped of her rights to take her husband's titles and ranks by being given a lower title than that of her husband.

Well, if that's due to take place, then so be it. Camilla will continue to do a good job regardless. I think she's proven that she don't need the major titles to do her job.

George IV was able to deny his wife the right to be Crowned alongside him but he never tried to strip her of her legal title - neither he nor the government of the day even suggested such a thing. She was Queen from his accession until her death.

What is needed for Camilla is for her to be actually stripped of the title of Queen to give her a lesser title - making the marriage morganatic and thus saying she isn't his equal and even raising the question of her right to accompany him to different places etc.

I do not see how she should be taking all the "punishment". This is a 50/50, 'two to tango' situation. It would be more fair to have them both sidelined! Might be the reason the Queen is still there, despite how difficult it must be for her to still keep all those public outings. Perhaps she can't bear it either? :D

It is refreshing to see a royal lady who feels secure and confident in her own self, knowing that she is ageing et al. She is an unexpected gem in the British monarchy.

The intention was to make Camilla Her Royal Highness The Princess Consort. But... the King also is Duke of Lancaster. By virtue of her marriage to His Majesty The King, Duke of Lancaster, Camilla could also be known as Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Lancaster. I like that title. Lancaster is a most important Duchy as it provides income for the Sovereign.

:flowers:

Not satisfied enough with the somewhat positive YouGow poll claming that 49% of the British Public was ready to accept Camilla as Queen, the Daily Mail made his very own poll with some expected different results :

Camilla shouldn't be Queen, say public: And four in ten say Charles should step aside and let William be king | Daily Mail Online

It is the Daily Mail, Nico... Take it with a firm pinch of salt. Illustrative for the "relevance" of the Daily Mail: for months they are painting Labour leader Mr Ed Miliband down as a Wallace, as a whimp, as un-Prime Ministerial material, as a goof, whatever. Despite all this work by the "Wreck and Destroy"-department of the DM, the polls still are "too close to call" to the amazement of the DM and panick of the Conservatives. All this to show that everything commissioned by the DM should -per definition- be met with utter distrust. It is also a show that what the omnipresent DM splashes on their website is not per definition the communis opinio in the UK. They are good in one thing: pictures. That is all.

Back
Top Bottom