Camilla and The Public

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, those naysayers will have to live with the fact that Camilla is popular because she will be Queen Consort whether they like it or not.

Basically she will be known as Queen Consort or known by something else such as Princess Consort regardless of what any of the public think. Everyone has an opinion on this and its good to get a pulse on what the public thinks but when it comes down to the final wire, its up to the powers that be that can do all the legal legwork and a biggie too is Camilla's wishes I think.

Personally, I do think no matter what she is known as, she will be a remarkable asset not only to Charles but also the monarchy and the family.

It is a phenomenon we see in the last decade. Something which is BIG! news for media are essentially leaving people totally undifferent. Media predicting anger suddenly find themselves surrounded by an audience who could not care less. A lot of the so-called "unrest in society" only takes place on television.

It is the same with the Duchess of Cornwall. When Charles is King and Camilla will be Queen. The average Brit will shrug the shoulders. As long as they can have an undisturbed nice barbecue in their garden and as long as England plays well at the World Cup, they could not care less.

It reminds to a CNN classic. In the 1980's the Indian PM Rajiv Ghandi was assassinated, like his mother, PM Indira Gandhi was once assassinated. A CNN crew flew in full force to Delhi, expecting emotional scenes, chaos and mass hysteria. All the CNN crew saw was just life going on. In the broadcast the CNN reporter, with a serious and solemn face, stated: "A nation too stunned to grief".

:flowers:

Surprising that the Daily Mail didn't pick up that one ...

Perhaps we should be heartened that the poll received such little comment in the media. I think we're getting to the stage where Camilla's position in the royal family is not only accepted, but no longer really noteworthy. Of course the usual suspects will try and stir the pot, but for most people not only has she been accepted but it also makes complete sense that she should be Queen when her husband is King.

Imo Camilla indeed comes across as a person who can make people feel at ease and you could imagine having her come to visit at your house. Like someone said what also helps a lot is that William and Harry seem to genuinly like here and are often seen joking around with her.
I think she would make a great queen next to the "head of state king" and i hope she will have a chance to have that role for a good many years..

It reminds to a CNN classic. In the 1980's the Indian PM Rajiv Ghandi was assassinated, like his mother, PM Indira Gandhi was once assassinated. A CNN crew flew in full force to Delhi, expecting emotional scenes, chaos and mass hysteria. All the CNN crew saw was just life going on. In the broadcast the CNN reporter, with a serious and solemn face, stated: "A nation too stunned to grief".

That is a classic!

I think the increased approval is a sum of various little parts. Camilla seems not to be the Rottweiller the media once depicted. Camilla has become more prominent in royal events. Camilla does major public appearances with a lot of natural panache and in great style. Camilla seems goodnatured and approachable.

Sometimes small details can make a whole world. On April 29th 2013 the Duchess impressed the Dutch watching live TV by her glorious appearance for the Queen's Farewell Banquet in the Rijksmuseum. They saw an elegantly dressed Duchess, with sparkling jewels, admiring the stunning surroundings and interacting most charming with the other guests.

On April 30th 2014 the Dutch learned from media that -before the Investiture- the Duchess of Cornwall left the Amstel Grand Hotel for a stroll through Amsterdam. People in the street could not believe it was Camilla, walking there in the streets and were flabbergasted when she bought a little orange hat from a street vendor and started to chat with Amsterdamers passing by. Her approval went up in turbo mode, Camilla has conquered Amsterdam.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...Camilla-new-orange-hat-streets-Amsterdam.html

Please note that all posts regarding the lifespans of Charles's ancestors have been deleted as off topic.

Any and all additional posts will be deleted without notice.

Believe it or not :

HOW CAMILLA WON OUR HEARTS
It has been a long, hard journey, but the Duchess of Cornwall has never been more popular. Thomas Blaikie celebrates her 'arrival' and reveals the secret of her success

How Camilla won our hearts

Please note that all posts regarding the lifespans of Charles's ancestors have been deleted as off topic.

Any and all additional posts will be deleted without notice.

But on topic, if somewhat creepy, should Camilla outlive Charles, this member of the public thinks she will make a spectacular continuing member of the working royal group. She has exceeded all expectations. In my mind, that says more about the press and how they trash people's personalities than it does about her. People who knew her knew she was a good egg in a bad carton.
I'm happy she is on board for the ride!

I'm not the biggest fan of Camilla. But I recognize that she does Charles happy.
I think there were two Charles, Charles Diana and Charles Camilla.

Last edited:
I do have to admit that until I came to TRF in 2008, all I had previously "known" about Camilla were the blurbs that graced the front of the tabloids. I did see her as The Bride of Chuckie and the evil witch of the west as I really didn't know better. Once I started following Charles and Camilla by the actual "real" reporting of their events and their marriage here, I realized how drastically wrong my opinion of this woman was.

Before she was married to Charles, no matter what was tossed at her, she bore with a calm, discreet manner and once they were married, she carried out becoming a steadfast, warm and caring spouse and working member of the BRF with a grace that I think almost equals the Queen's. It doesn't surprise me that as the public had the opportunity to see Camilla in action, that they too realized that their concept of the woman was in error. Actions speak volumes and Camilla has more than proven herself to be a woman that deserves respect as Charles' consort.

I think the passage of time has made a huge difference.
People have come to see that Charles and Diana simply were not suited and couldn't make their marriage work.

Camilla is in tune with Charles; she calms him down and cheers him up.
I think most people have come to accept her.

Charles loves Camilla and that is that. On another site on TRF a new fiancée is being derided for her past. I have no idea how she will be acclaimed when the queen dies. But past that, they seem to be a great couple and too bad it didn't start that way.

Camilla always appears to put on a good face and do her duty. But I still get the feeling that it isn't what she was seeking. The tiaras, carriages, state dinners etc. Foah I would love to know what her reaction was when the idea of going from mistress to wife came up.
Anyway I guess like me over time and delving deeper than headlines from tabloids gives more substance to Camilla.

Camilla always appears to put on a good face and do her duty. But I still get the feeling that it isn't what she was seeking. The tiaras, carriages, state dinners etc. Foah I would love to know what her reaction was when the idea of going from mistress to wife came up.
Anyway I guess like me over time and delving deeper than headlines from tabloids gives more substance to Camilla.

I agree. I think he wanted her with him all the time. Although European monarchies take g/friends/lovers/fiancees on royal trips, that does not happen in the UK. So that meant marriage and she loves him. She was "non-negotiable" - he wasnt going to make another mistake. And I expect it was his determination that carried the day. Knowing she had his support she went ahead - and the gentle intro has helped her.

Its a special relationship because of what they have overcome.

Camilla had to find its place. Camilla will never be as popular as Diana was. Camlla had to prove to people that it was the ideal woman to stand next to Charles.

When Charles and Diana married, I suspected it would not last as there was not only a significant age difference, they appeared to have little in common. Never the less, the romantic in me hoped it would work. Dian was beautiful and always looked so well put together.

Like others, I bought into the picture Diana painted in the Martin Bashir interview. Since I joined TRF and have learned so much about Charles, Camilla, and Diana, I have realized that Camilla was always the right one for Charles and he was always the right one for her. I am happy for them that they have been allowed to build a life as a married couple and she can be with him experiencing all the wonderful things they have experienced over the last 10+ years. You can clearly see how much they love each other and how affectionate they are after 10+ years of marriage. I hope my marriage is as successful as their's has been.

Camilla, if you are reading this, I am sorry for all the negative thoughts and doubts I had about you. I was wrong. You are an incredible and fascinating lady.

But on topic, if somewhat creepy, should Camilla outlive Charles, this member of the public thinks she will make a spectacular continuing member of the working royal group. She has exceeded all expectations. In my mind, that says more about the press and how they trash people's personalities than it does about her. People who knew her knew she was a good egg in a bad carton.
I'm happy she is on board for the ride!

Interesting line of thinking...

I think that if Camilla were to outlive Charles she would slowly fade into the background in terms of being a working royal. She's not now the most active of the full time royals, and is past retirement age. I could see her continuing to support her mother-in-law and stepson, depending on who is monarch, but more in a role similar to the Kents or Gloucesters now than the one filled by the Queen Mother previously.

It took a great deal of PR work to get the public to accept and warm up to Camilla and it all started before she became officially engaged to Charles. I remember the BBC News Online website used to announce Charles's official engagements and Camilla was included. I think the idea was to get the people and the media used to the idea of Charles & Camilla working together as a couple and team and little by little it worked.

Now members of the media and a great deal of people on the internet will argue with you up and down on why Camilla should be crowned Queen next to Charles when that great day arrives. All that hard work from the palace PR teams, Charles's happiness, Camilla's charm and William & Harry's public display of acceptance towards Camilla has paid off big time.

She do seem to be a very warm person and funny too. Camilla goes about her royal duties with lots of ease and the people do enjoy meeting her.

I think Camilla has put her past mistakes behind her and that's a good thing. I did think she was treated badly though on the 10th anniversary of Diana's death. I may be alone in this, but I think she should have been able to attend Diana's memorial service. I think it would've been her chance to publically make her peace and help honor her stepchildren's late mother. I think the behavior from the public on that issue was wrong in many ways.

Last edited:
It took a great deal of PR work to get the public to accept and warm up to Camilla and it all started before she became officially engaged to Charles. I remember the BBC News Online website used to announce Charles's official engagements and Camilla was included. I think the idea was to get the people and the media used to the idea of Charles & Camilla working together as a couple and team and little by little it worked.

Now members of the media and a great deal of people on the internet will argue with you up and down on why Camilla should be crowned Queen next to Charles when that great day arrives. All that hard work from the palace PR teams, Charles's happiness, Camilla's charm and William & Harry's public display of acceptance towards Camilla has paid off big time.

She do seem to be a very warm person and funny too. Camilla goes about her royal duties with lots of ease and the people do enjoy meeting her.

I think Camilla has put her past mistakes behind her and that's a good thing. I did think she was treated badly though on the 10th anniversary of Diana's death. I may be alone in this, but I think she should have been able to attend Diana's memorial service. I think it would've been her chance to publically make her peace and help honor her stepchildren's late mother. I think the behavior from the public on that issue was wrong in many ways.

IIRC, the process you mentioned above of including her on official engagements with Charles started prior to Diana's passing. When Diana died, the whole process was pushed back. But, that was a long time ago so maybe I am mis-remembering.

IIRC, the process you mentioned above of including her on official engagements with Charles started prior to Diana's passing. When Diana died, the whole process was pushed back. But, that was a long time ago so maybe I am mis-remembering.

The did not appear together when Diana was still alive. The very first time Camilla and Charles were pictured together was actually in early 1999. This was a very carefully staged event when they left the Ritz Hotel together, after the birthday party for Annabel Elliot, Camilla's sister. the world's media had assembled together outside, in anticipation of "the" shot.

People have to just get over the past. You cannot change it. It is a waste of time and certainly does no good to anyone to keep fueling over it. People can argue that everything has always been Charles' fault. Others say Diana was certainly not lily white. Camilla's past shows no moral character. We only read the media slant, and you know what liars they are.

I just hope that the future of Charles and Camilla are happy years, as regardless of the past, everyone deserves to be happy at least once in their lives.

People have to just get over the past. You cannot change it. It is a waste of time and certainly does no good to anyone to keep fueling over it. People can argue that everything has always been Charles' fault. Others say Diana was certainly not lily white. Camilla's past shows no moral character. We only read the media slant, and you know what liars they are.

I just hope that the future of Charles and Camilla are happy years, as regardless of the past, everyone deserves to be happy at least once in their lives.

Well put. There is little doubt that they appear to be very happy together, and the public has gotten used to seeing Camilla at the heart of the BRF. In a few years time, she will be Queen, and most of us will accept it.

Charles and Diana should never have married and probably would not have if the media had stayed out of it. During their brief "courtship" there was overwhelming media coverage all focused on Diana becoming the Princess of Wales. Much like the media has been with William and Harry -- if they but enough pressure - they will get their wedding.

If Diana had not died, I don't see Charles and Camila being able to marry. The media would have kept the focus on the "injured" Diana and Camilla would have been portrayed by the media as a home wrecker and evil person.

In time, Charles and Camilla will be considered a great love story. Sadly people were hurt along the way.

I hope Camilla is crowned along with Charles.

Charles and Diana should never have married and probably would not have if the media had stayed out of it. During their brief "courtship" there was overwhelming media coverage all focused on Diana becoming the Princess of Wales. Much like the media has been with William and Harry -- if they but enough pressure - they will get their wedding.

If Diana had not died, I don't see Charles and Camila being able to marry. The media would have kept the focus on the "injured" Diana and Camilla would have been portrayed by the media as a home wrecker and evil person.

In time, Charles and Camilla will be considered a great love story. Sadly people were hurt along the way.

I hope Camilla is crowned along with Charles.

I don't think Charles & Diana's marriage was a mistake because they were really happy in the early years and in love. I think it was a series of mistakes that caused it to go down and they never received the correct help they really needed. I think if they had the right help, they would've been able to go forward together as a couple or resolve things peacefully and with more respect and dignity.

I think Camilla & Charles would probably gone on to marry regardless because I think Diana (if she were alive) would have moved on also.

I think the people are warming up to Camilla as time goes on because of her warmth and charm and they see how Charles is once again happy and his sons are happy too. The Queen and Prince Philip and the royal family have embraced her. Along with the great PR, everything seems to be good. Whether she's HRH The Princess Consort or HM The Queen, it's all good to me.

I wonder how William and Harry would feel if they heard people say their parents shouldn't have gotten married. Whatever crap Charles and Di went through Id assume they would go through it again cause it resulted in their sons.

I wonder how William and Harry would feel if they heard people say their parents shouldn't have gotten married. Whatever crap Charles and Di went through Id assume they would go through it again cause it resulted in their sons.

I Agree. Many marriages go wrong and that's what happened with Charles and Diana. But the best of the wedding were the children.

Yes, the children were the best. Look, they never had a marriage. He loved someone else. And, to his credit, he really did. Diana wanted more, to her credit, but it would never be available. Never was. And DMAN, if Diana were still alive, Charles would not have married Camilla, because his mother would have never sanctioned it. It will be interesting when he is king and they anoint Camilla, while her first husband is in the gallery. The Church's hypocrisy is quite evident on this one.

Back
Top Bottom