Camilla & Charles: What Is Your Opinion Now?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether Karl Lagerfeld said what he said when Diana was alive or deceased, it was disrespectful either way. A man in his high profile position should have more ethics about him and keep his mouth shut.

Why!? Because somebody might listen to him? Why shouldn't he speak his mind and tell the truth - his truth. What you're saying is, he met Diana and has an opinion thats negative. Whereas most people on here never met and have an opinion thats positive and should take precedence over his views?

To say one is "stupid" is just plain rude

No it isn't. If he said, "She was of limited intelligence", he would have been saying the same thing in 5 words instead of 1. (One refers to himself in the context you've used it).

kerry said:
You might be on to something there. I didn't keep up with Diana's fashion but I'm quite sure she probably wore Chanel!

I didn't think she wore Chanel, it wasn't trendy enough. I understand that Camilla on the other hand has been wearing Chanel for years.

It is not fair when people make comparisons between Camilla and Diana and they are not in Dianas favour just as it is not fair for comparisons to be made to make Camilla look better. They are and were their own women. In my opinion, K.L. said the Diana bit to get headlines and attention. He could have just praised Camilla but that would not have gotten as much attention if he didnt mention Diana. I think it is rude. Yes, it is true that Diana wasnt the brightest fish in the sea but she is dead, let her rest in peace.

JOY! said:
I can't say I was much of a fan of Camilla. Nor am I a big one now. Though I was completely suprised when I found out they were getting married, usually the chick on the side, doesn't become the next bride (hey that rhymed). I guess as long as there both happy, but I must say I don't respect her choice of commiting adultry, or Charles. I've always wonder if what they had was really love, or simply lust? only they know I guess.

Initially, she would have been the bride. Camilla was likee many girls in the sixties, I'm sure. Charles genuninely loved her, however, if not for his pig uncle Mountbatton hadn't encouraged him to waste time by sowing his oats. Yes, a virgin was desired and added a better reputation, but IF Diana had affairs with guys before marriage, this would be a moot point I suppose. Furthermore, after all they've been through (Camilla especially) I would think it would definately be love indeed. Few couples, unless it was permanently enduring the way this love has, would have survived all these years and the repeated public crucifixion.

If those two would have been allowed to marry in the first frickin' place things would have been different. Ironically, (I hope I'm not flamed) Diana was more like the girl on the side than Camilla. She was (despite her good points) a vapid, selfish, thoroughly insane person who caused a lot of harm. Furthermore, she was overly paranoid and subconsciously casued a lot of her worst fears to come true. On this last oint however, I cannot judge too harshly since mental illness is a pretty bad disease and something that at times cannot be helped.

What? So every comparison has to be in Diana's favour? It isn't fair - it's life. Why would he be desperate to get in the press? He could get in the press any way he wanted. The truth of this matter was, he was asked what he thought of Camilla. He gave his opinion. It was in Camilla's favour for once and not Diana's and now people hate him for it. What a load of old rot.

She's dead - that doesn't mean her life was any different. She's open to criticism just as much as anyone else.

BeatrixFan said:
The truth of this matter was, he was asked what he thought of Camilla. He gave his opinion. It was in Camilla's favour for once and not Diana's and now people hate him for it. What a load of old rot.

She's dead - that doesn't mean her life was any different. She's open to criticism just as much as anyone else.

That's a bit overdramatic BeatrixFan. Several of us like Camilla and we definitely don't hate him for saying something in her favor. He's a good designer - just a little syncophantic for my tastes right now.

Diana is certainly open to criticism whether she is alive or dead. Same with Karl Lagerfield or any other public figure. Once he spoke to the press, he opened his words up for interpretation and possible criticism. Its an occupational hazard of fame.

Incidentally we don't know if he was asked his opinion or he just offered it.

Overdramatic? I don't think so at all. It's obvious. Every time someone praises Camilla, somebody finds some reason for it to be discounted and it gets a little tiresome.

ysbel said:
Incidentally we don't know if he was asked his opinion or he just offered it.

I read the article, that he offered his opinion on Camilla and was asked about Diana.

Joan Rivers, Elton John, and Ozzy Osbourne somehow escaped our scathing wit then when they praised Camilla. ;)

Skydragon said:
I read the article, that he offered his opinion on Camilla and was asked about Diana.

So it wasn't sycophancy as I believed. Everything is ok, then.

Elton John? He'd praise a fart in a phone box to get his face in the news.

I agree with Beatrixfan, It does seem like from a certain group whenever anything positive is said about Camilla, it is immediately discounted somehow. I am not talking directly about the Lagerfeld's commment. Although it wasn't necessary the comment about Diana.

Someone was asking about people who have said bad things about Camilla.
I looked at one point and I think it was 5 people I could find. Two of them I can't remember offhand.
Richard Parker Bowles
2 servants - one who said she was messy and was a cheap tipper. The other was her cook/housekeeper who claimed she never made her own breakfast. Wasn't that part of the woman's job?

I know her ex mother in law didn't like her (big surprise there :) ) but apparently both families weren't happy with the marriage. They each thought Andrew and Camilla could have married better.

cde said:
I agree with Beatrixfan, It does seem like from a certain group whenever anything positive is said about Camilla, it is immediately discounted somehow. I am not talking directly about the Lagerfeld's commment. Although it wasn't necessary the comment about Diana. Someone was asking about people who have said bad things about Camilla.

I think you are wrong with your 5 people and as BeatrixFan pointed out, every good comment on here is normally met with scorn from the Diana fans and the many who just listen to one side of the debate.
Lagerfeld gave his opinion about Camilla, a woman he knows and likes and who was then asked what he thought about Diana. He gave his honest opinion there as well.
Would people have preferred that he had said Diana was intelligent and he had had intellectually stimulating conversations with her, which anyone who has even read about her, would know was untrue.
Instead of blaming Lagerfeld, blame the reporter for asking for an honest comparison, IHO.

Did the reporter ask for a comparison?:)

Even if he didn't, why shouldn't he compare them? Everyone else is.

Then I would think a little better of him. But still he didn't have to say she was stupid. :)

Why not? He was making a point that she wasn't intelligent which is well known. if he said, "She wasn't intelligent" it would mean just the same thing as; "she was stupid" or "she was a dunce" or "she was about as intelligent as a shrubbery". However he put it, he wanted to say that she was of limited intelligence and he did.

I don't know about other people's manners-yours included BeatrixFan. But if someone is dead you should not say mean things about them - they can not defend themselves. Lagerfeld's has made himself not very popular with the public who loved Diana. Can't she rest in peace after almost nine years being dead and taken advantage of by almost everyone around her.

I have accepted Camilla. But I believe she probably didn't want Lagerfeld's help with public approval. I don't think this comment helped her with the public. I bet she doesn't wear his designs either. Can we get back to Camilla and Charles news? What about Charles' court proceedings with the press:) ?

It's nothing to do with manners. It's to do with saying what you actually think instead of saying what you think you should say.

Lagerfeld's has made himself not very popular with the public who loved Diana. Can't she rest in peace after almost nine years being dead and taken advantage of by almost everyone around her.

And you think he actually cares what Diana fans think of him? He's said what he thinks and good luck to him. Again, just because she's dead doesn't mean she's free from criticism. As I said before, Hitler's dead and we say mean things about him. Diana is no different in the respect that she's dead and she is as much open to criticism as anyone else.

Can we get back to Camilla and Charles news? What about Charles' court proceedings with the press:) ?

In the Charles and Camilla news thread yes. I still see this as an attempt to make his comments dissapear because for once they don't paint Diana in a good light. It's just an attempt to cover up an anti-Diana comment.

I dont think his comments have helped Camilla though. Everyone is allowed to critize the dead. It is usually when one dies that you figure out the real person. Diana was not the brightest fish in the sea but what relevance does that have today. None. You can praise or trash Diana all you want but that has no relevance and wont get anyone any where. Its time to let Diana go for fans and nonfans. We dont need the comparisons whether good or bad. Let Camilla be her own women, Diana did not set standards as to what the Princess of Wales should be so she should not be judged or compared to Diana. Thats just my opinion.

He didn't say it to boost Camilla's profile - he said it as an individual. I agree, it's time to let Diana go - if I had my way, she'd be rubbed out of the history books completely and never mentioned again. But it won't happen because whether we want it or not, there will always be people who a) compare them and b) refuse to see the truth.

BeatrixFan said:
It's nothing to do with manners. It's to do with saying what you actually think instead of saying what you think you should say.

If we didn't have manners the whole world would disagree
and be in chaos. Just like this forum subject is right now.

Again, just because she's dead doesn't mean she's free from criticism. As I said before, Hitler's dead and we say mean things about him. Diana is no different in the respect that she's dead and she is as much open to criticism as anyone else.

Fine, but comparing Diana to Hitler who killed people just shows you are a loose cannon without manners that wants the last say in all of this.

In the Charles and Camilla news thread yes. I still see this as an attempt to make his comments dissapear because for once they don't paint Diana in a good light. It's just an attempt to cover up an anti-Diana comment.

No it isn't an attempt to cover up anti-Diana comments. I am just tried of the subject matter and want to get back to the really news of the day-Charles fighting the press in a forum about Charles and Camilla.:) :) :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If we didn't have manners the whole world would disagree
and be in chaos. Just like this forum subject is right now.

And it isn't? But thats beside the point. Just because my posts disagree with yours doesn't mean they are ill-mannered.

Fine, but comparing Diana to Hitler who killed people just shows you are a loose cannon without manners that wants the last say in all of this.

Stop. Read. Reply Again. I did not compare her to Hitler in that respect and I made a point of making that clear. A loose cannon? I'm perfectly content to battle this out and I couldn't care less if I have the last say or not. But don't try and cover this up because it doesn't please you - which is what I believe you are trying to do. "Oh! It's pro-Camilla, quick let's change the subject".

When people are repeating themselves over and over again, its time to move on.

I'm repeating myself because people don't seem to be reading what I'm saying - they are reading 2 words and making a statement on it, which means I have to repeat what I 'said'.

georgiea said:
Did the reporter ask for a comparison?:)

Read the article yourself and see what you think.
I don't think he even compared them, for all we know the comments were one hour apart. He was asked about the two women and gave his opinion, the reporter then chose to put the remarks together.
He would still say he thought Camilla was fun, intelligent etc if anything happened to her, so why should he lie or say nothing, just because Diana is dead. Whether they are dead or alive does not alter what they were like.

BeatrixFan said:
I'm repeating myself because people don't seem to be reading what I'm saying - they are reading 2 words and making a statement on it, which means I have to repeat what I 'said'.

Its still getting repetitious and boring. If you try two times and people don't get it, they never will.

BeatrixFan said:
"Oh! It's pro-Camilla, quick let's change the subject".

It is not the case. The case is that there is something like good manners and saying that someone is stupid is not the most polite thing to say especially about dead person :) It has nothing to do with the Camilla or Diana or even Hitler ;) Now - get back to the topic - The Times about Charles's case against Mail On Sunday:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2035025,00.html

I think we've beaten this particular dead horse to a rather bad-smelling pulp by now. As long we we're getting to the point where people are telling other people that they don't mean what they say they mean, which is a hair short of an accusation of lying, there's nothing to be gained by carrying on round this circle.

I think it's time to let this drop, agree to disagree about what everybody does and doesn't mean, and carry on the conversation in other directions.

Anybody who disagrees is welcome to contact me by private message.

Elspeth

British royals moderator

Whoa!!! If Karl Lagerfield had said that I was stupid, no one would even care. But because it was Diana, it’s a big deal. Do I agree with what he said? Opinions do vary. Well, I'm on the other side of the Atlantic where Americans are still caught up in the fairytale. Her intelligence or lack there of, isn't something that's widely discussed here. Even though the interview was done by the New York magazine, it has never been an issue that has caused a big media frenzy.

Maybe Diana wasn't the brightest. She might not have even liked Karl Lagerfield! I remember Diana with a warm and fuzzy heart but that's just me. She's gone and just because there are some that don't hold her in good remembrance doesn't bother me one iota.

What does is that Camilla is still being compared to her. That's like comparing apples to oranges...they are different. Princess Camilla is here. Let's stop with the comparisons and move on.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom