Camilla & Charles: What Is Your Opinion Now?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ysbel said:
Welcome to the Royal Forums kerry. Yes, I would say most people in the U.S. (and especially in NYC where I live) were grateful for the respect they paid at Ground Zero.

While no one likes a marriage to break down, some Americans are just plain cynical about royals and they didn't care who Charles married whether it was Diana or Camilla - it was all just a bunch of fluff to them. There are some people who didn't followed royals until they were first captivated by Diana and they wanted the fairytale to have a happy ending. And lastly, there were old royal watchers like me who followed the royals from the 70s, before Diana, who had grave reservations about the marriage from the start just because of the age difference and figure that while a divorced Prince of Wales marrying another divorcee in a second marriage is not ideal at least the second marriage has a better chance of surviving. So American opinion runs the gamut.

Just judging from news reports (I was in Florida at the time of the Tour) most people in the U.S. were indifferent to the C & C Tour, or they weren't even aware they were in the States. As to Ground Zero there were mumblings in the local press about the rather loud color Camilla wore on such hallowed ground-they seemed to feel she should have worn something quieter. I don't know what could be considered suitable but to me Ground Zero is a cemetery-after all many remains were sadly never found. I think maybe something in gray or dark blue but not black-it's a bit late for a funeral imo. Anyway I was frustrated that night after night our local channel only showed a few seconds (or so it seemed) of Royal coverage squeezed between other banal news. I think the students at Georgetown University gave the C & C the best coverage of their tour. My brother's step-daughter goes there and she reported (with her permission I add this here) 'we were all told to be nice, on our best behaviour, and to show the school off to good advantage-we were warned any nasty behaviour would not be tolerated-they both seemed very nice, Charles is rather red-faced (I'm not sure what she meant by that??) she's not pretty exactly but she has nice blue eyes-I wasn't close enough to them to shake hands but it was rather exciting we don't get Royals every day here do we?'. That was the gist of her email.

My memories of Charles and Diana's wedding are vague but I do remember thinking 'he looks too old for her-and she looks too pretty for him'. But that was my childhood self. I do think they really had nothing in common and if only he had made up his mind about Camilla-or if only he had insisted she was 'non-negotiable' way back when. And if only Diana had cut and run the other way when he proposed. Lots of if onlys sad to say.

kerry said:
. In America, we were all rooting for them to give us our fairy tale ending. .

Hi Kerry, I think you have just about summed it all up in that one sentence.

A lot of people only took their own feelings into account. None of us would really like to force someone else to be in a living hell of a marriage, would we?
I believe this fairytale will finally have a happy ending!:)

I hadn't thought about this but it's an excellent point!!!! Makes sense the photographers would be tailing her to get some new photos for their use in the days before the marriage and after. Photos sell papers. I think Camilla is behaving very well--despite her not particularly enjoying being photographed, and who can blame her for that???? She actually photographs quite well and wears lovely but not over the top clothing. I think her use of makeup and her hair color suits her beautifully. Whomever is advising her is doing a great job! As to her relationship with the press, I've yet to hear a story of her being sour or unpleasant--and, Goodness knows, it would've been reported!

Truly, it does make sense now that you bring it up that Camilla would be in so demand for photos given the rather limited collection the press had. And I think she has stepped up to the plate beautifully. I actually find her sometimes shy, tentative looks rather endearing. I do hope she's not hounded constantly though. No royal (or anyone) should have cameras in their face everytime they step out the door. It will be interesting to see how she handles her daughter's wedding so as to make sure her daughter is the focus of attention (tho' she carried that off well during PWilliam's graduation ceremonies).

I recently came across a photo of Camilla in Hello or some such publication, taken years ago when her children were small. They were standing in front of a huge, blazing fireplace. She looked very pretty. Wish I could find the image so I could scan and post.....but it may well be here somewhere.

BeatrixFan said:
The Camera Business. When Charles announced that he was going to marry Camilla, the Press panicked because they didn't have any photographs of Camilla apart from the odd few of her hunting and kissing Charles. They suddenly needed thousands in their stocks to make sure they could trump every other newspaper. So the media interest is huge because there's money in photographs. Camilla is the most senior female royal after the Queen and so they have to make sure they can do a decent report with pics immediately. Camilla is very good with the press. She gives them their picture and then moves on.

Camilla has really proved herself this year. She has shown that she is capable of being a loving and caring wife as well as dutiful and much-loved Princess. Long may it continue!

I'm glad I could be of help maryshawn! I get so annoyed with people saying Camilla is horsey and ugly - she isn't. When I look at her now, she seems to glow. She just has a natural beauty that shines right through in everything she does. I have a clip of her seeing a friend at the wedding - I'll see if I can link it. It really does show a wonderful side to Camilla we rarely see - her voice is rich and wonderful, she's funny and caring , happy and yes - pretty. Now, let me find that clip!

That would be great! I would love to see/hear it! (I've heard her voice but muffled in clips where the announcer was talking over her--which was annoying as I wanted to hear her voice, not his!!!!)

I have a brother in law who is a very accomplished photographer/cinematographer. He was taking some photos of us the other day and I showed him some of Christie Brinkley at 52's recent photos for CoverGirl. He said and showed me how photos can be so easily manipulated to make someone look better--and worse. In other words, some of the older photos of Camilla were taken at less than flattering angles as if to play up the image of her looking "horsey" (which she clearly doesn't). I've also noticed many were in black and white which totally obscured her coloring. In short, media manipulation can extend to how someone is photographed if the media is trying to project the image they want to project of someone.

All that being said, I think she is looking marvelous. And I think the media has been pleasantly surprised now that they've had the chance to interact with her and discover she's so kind and gracious.

BeatrixFan said:
I'm glad I could be of help maryshawn! I get so annoyed with people saying Camilla is horsey and ugly - she isn't. When I look at her now, she seems to glow. She just has a natural beauty that shines right through in everything she does. I have a clip of her seeing a friend at the wedding - I'll see if I can link it. It really does show a wonderful side to Camilla we rarely see - her voice is rich and wonderful, she's funny and caring , happy and yes - pretty. Now, let me find that clip!

I've posted it in the Camilla and the Public thread - sorry, I forgot which thread I'd mentioned it in! I hope you like - personally, I love it and it makes me all warm and fuzzy everytime I see it.

BeatrixFan said:
I get so annoyed with people saying Camilla is horsey and ugly - she isn't.

My post above wasn't meant that way. Just want to clarify this. Personally I think that there is something really attractive about her. That a lot of people think of Camilla as ugly, horsey etc. is probably because for a long time only the worst pictures of her were published.

Oh no Gladys, I wasn't commenting on your post. I was speaking in general - I thought your post was very true.

maryshawn said:
I recently came across a photo of Camilla in Hello or some such publication, taken years ago when her children were small. They were standing in front of a huge, blazing fireplace. She looked very pretty. Wish I could find the image so I could scan and post.....but it may well be here somewhere.

I know what picture you mean. It's in a magazine I bought a couple of months ago and it's one of the pictures of Camilla I like most. I don't know if it would be possible to scan and post it here because of copyright reasons.

Gladys said:
My post above wasn't meant that way. Just want to clarify this. Personally I think that there is something really attractive about her. That a lot of people think of Camilla as ugly, horsey etc. is probably because for a long time only the worst pictures of her were published.

I didn't read your post to mean that and I agree, they chose the pictures that did not do her justice.:)

What a relief! I find it rather difficult to make a point clear in another language than my own. And it's that easy to make some stupid mistakes ... :)

Hi Skydragon,
I too believe that this will finally have a happy ending!

kerry said:
I too believe that this will finally have a happy ending!

Wouldn't that be wonderful:) . They look so happy and content together. It just goes to show that love can conquer all and Camilla, with Charles, can conquer the British press. A very Happy New Year to You.:)

Skydragon said:
Wouldn't that be wonderful:) . They look so happy and content together. It just goes to show that love can conquer all and Camilla, with Charles, can conquer the British press. A very Happy New Year to You.:)

Thanks Skydragon! Have a safe and Happy New Year!

Does Charles still ski? I know he used to, perhaps still does, love going on skiing holidays. I've never seen a photo or mention of Camilla skiing. Wonder if they will be going to some of his favorite spots this winter? I certainly hope they will be able to carve out some private time away from the cameras......I still am holding fast to my opinion Camilla and Charles are looking happy and doing a great job.

It has been reported that Camilla is a afraid of heights (and flying) which I can relate to :) I tried skiing , but I was a basketcase on the chairlift but I digress... Due to that, I can't imagine she skies. I don't think she has ever gone to to Klosters with Charles. I heard Charles was going skiing with friends in January and Camilla was going to America while he was skiing.

It is really nice to see how happy they look.

Chalk me up for being able to relate, as well! :) Good point about the chairlift....I hated them and someone who doesn't like heights or flying (and she is on record with both comments), that would be not particularly fun! I think it's nice when a couple can pursue other interests without getting into a snit about it. They really do seem very well-suited tempermentally--and that's a huge thing!

cde said:
It has been reported that Camilla is a afraid of heights (and flying) which I can relate to :) I tried skiing , but I was a basketcase on the chairlift but I digress... Due to that, I can't imagine she skies. I don't think she has ever gone to to Klosters with Charles. I heard Charles was going skiing with friends in January and Camilla was going to America while he was skiing.

It is really nice to see how happy they look.

I think she is doing fine..She looks like a nice english lady to me who come from Denmark.

amager33 said:
I think she is doing fine..She looks like a nice english lady to me who come from Denmark.

Hi amager33, welcome to the forum.
Thank you very much for that vote of confidence for our very own Duchess of Cornwall.:D

i dont like neither charles or camilla, and i will never like them or accept them they are both a waste of the british tax payers money. I dont blame australians not wanting charles as there king, i dont want charles as my king. In my opinion when charles becomes king it wont be a good thing for this country

Hang On. Whatever you think of TRH personally, I don't think you can say they are a waste of British tax payer's money. That is extremely unfair - Charles's charity work is admirable and he's done more in the way of charity (with the Prince's Trust etc) than any other member of the Royal Family. He brings in millions for the Duchy of Cornwall and has never ever shirked his duty even in the dark times. Even if he's being hounded in the press, Charles will always go to his engagements and honour them. And as for Camilla, she's done 154 engagements in one year (not a full year I might add) which is again, admirable. Whatever you may think of them, calling them a waste of tax payer's money is a bit strong. Out of interest, do you pay tax?

Raia said:
i dont like neither charles or camilla, and i will never like them or accept them they are both a waste of the british tax payers money.
Maybe it would be better if you gave your reasons why?
Understanding that Charles receives his income from the Duchy of Cornwall is also relevant.

Charles and Camilla both receive, at least indirectly, some taxpayers subsidies as a result of their Royal Protection Officers, use of the Queen's aircraft, expenses associated with state visits and the use of Clarence House. But the majority of their costs are covered by the Duchy's income.

I think the BRF popularity in Australia may be down a bit since Mary married into the Danish Royal Family. Its understandable to be more interested in one of your own.

ysbel said:
I think the BRF popularity in Australia may be down a bit since Mary married into the Danish Royal Family. Its understandable to be more interested in one of your own.

here in argentina happend something similar, since maxima's marriage with willem-alexander the rest of the royal families lost importance. the maxima's wedding we can see in direct but the wedding charles-camilla not, but all the royal events before was in direct.

Raia said:
i dont like neither charles or camilla, and i will never like them or accept them they are both a waste of the british tax payers money. I dont blame australians not wanting charles as there king, i dont want charles as my king. In my opinion when charles becomes king it wont be a good thing for this country

Why don't you like them, is this based on your personal opinion of meeting him, reading about him or on what you have been told? In what way do you believe that Charles will be bad for Britain? He does a lot for disadvantaged youngsters, he is trying to bring acceptance to all faiths, if you go to his website, the list of charities he supports is diverse.

If you read the article in question, you will see that they only asked 1200 people out of nearly 20.5 million, (figure courtesy of Warren) so it is over exagerated to say all Australians do not want Charles as their King.

I think that Charles (and Camilla) are good for this country and I will be happy to accept Charles as my King.

branchg said:
Charles and Camilla both receive, at least indirectly, some taxpayers subsidies as a result of their Royal Protection Officers, use of the Queen's aircraft, expenses associated with state visits and the use of Clarence House. But the majority of their costs are covered by the Duchy's income.

True but a lot of British Taxpayers are quite happy to support the Royal family, of which Charles and now Camilla are a part. I am much happier that part of my taxes go to support Charles and Camilla, than I am that they go to support MP's having more than one, two or even three houses.
The majority of their day to day expenses are covered by the money generated by astute management of the Duchy.
Didn't it work out that only 4 pence per week (or month) of each taxpayers money went to support Charles, Camilla, William and Harry?

Last edited:
When I started this post I asked everyone to back up their opinions so please post your reasons on whether you like them or not. Dont just come in and say I like them or I dislike them. Please post reasons. Thank You.

not always there is a reason. it can be a sensation, an attitude etc but the reason can be many or none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom