Camilla & Charles: What Is Your Opinion Now?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I think there were some genuine people who were serious Royal watchers and didn't like Camilla but the average joe didn't have a clue who she was or what she'd supposedly done but they got led into the opinion by the media which happens every day and is why I don't bother with newspapers anymore.

You are right - Camilla did keep herself out of the public eye and it must have been horrific for her. All those awful things said about her and she must have wanted to scream and give an interview clearing her name but she just let them do it.

Vita said:
... but many of the biographies I've read on the BRF including Kitty Brown's The Royals, made reference to the incident...
Do you mean Kitty Kelly? If so, one should be wary of quoting her as a source. Kitty Kelly's exposés are notorious for factual errors and the presentation of gossip as fact.

Vita said:
I see where you're coming from. I cannot say it's secure information for certain, but many of the biographies I've read on the BRF including Kitty Brown's The Royals, made reference to the incident that occured between DOC and POW before POW's wedding and that it actually happened. Of course, that could be false and I apoligize for adding to the continuation of such information if it is.

I am not being nasty when I ask if you have read through the three Charles/Camilla/Diana threads that had to be closed down. Evidence for many of the 'facts' put about by the media and various authors were shown to be lies.

The fact is, IMO, that had Diana been happily settled, Camilla would not be getting this debate about her suitability from some people. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
An affair represents quite the same disgust and hurt for anyone of a maturing mind. It can, and often is, felt just as hard for the child as it is the parent...

"MII"

Last edited:
The way children respond to a parent's affair can be vastly different from child to child. Some children take it to heart and cut off relationship with the offending parent while other children have no problem making a new relationship with their parent's new significant other. I don't think one type of child loves their parents any more or less than the other type, they just respond differently.

Both of William's and Harry's parents gave them enough affairs to be hurt by. In a situation like that, and with children needing both parents, it can be hard to see one parent as the good guy and the other parent as the bad guy.

Its just as natural for the children to just want the pain to stop wherever it comes from but as I said, children are far too diverse for us to say there is a right way or wrong way for a child to respond to something like that.

The trouble is we are not talking about how William or Harry felt about it, we are talking about how some people who were not affected and didn't even know them personally have reacted and continue to react.

What anyone but the husband and wife concerned, consider black and white, is normally just a murky shade of grey. As time passes and even a 40 year old matures still further, most people can see what the hidden problems might have been and find a little forgiveness.

Do people hate every car driver who has ever been in a crash (even if it wasn't their fault) no, of course not. Why, because every circumstance is different.

To judge and condemn Camilla solely for the situation is a little one sided, when as you say, all of them were unfaithful.

Last edited:
I agree with you for the most part, skydragon, but that wasn't quite my point. People don't like to see children get hurt so its natural to dislike adults that we see as putting a child in a hurtful situation even if we weren't personally affected.

What I meant is that from the children's point of view, things can look a whole lot different than it does for adults looking in. Some children condemn their parents for a lot less than an adult would and others forgive their parents for something that adults would find hard to forgive. The whys and wherefores of a child's reaction can be puzzling to adults.

We can dislike either Charles, Camilla, or Diana for the hurt we think that William and Harry suffered but we really don't know how William and Harry themselves viewed the situation. Their view of the situation could be very different than ours. Right now in public they seem to be very warm towards Camilla so all we can conclude is that they appear to accepted the relationship at least to a certain point because from what we've seen, they've shown us nothing else to believe otherwise.

From what I've read, William primarily blames the press for the troubles his parents had, and while I can't verify it for sure; it seems to make sense based on his readiness to take on the press in defence of his girlfriend, Kate.

Last edited:
It seems as if the princes have made the best out of the situation and whatever they may have felt or didn't feel has no bearing on how they view Camilla now. They have accepted her and she them. That they have accepted Camilla with all the history and the media blitz that went with it shows a sign of maturity and wisdom that I know for sure that I would and do not have even at 22. LOL. And I think in the end, that's what Diana would have wanted; her children to just be happy and well-adjusted, and learning from the mistakes she made as a parent, wife, or whatever. I think the most valuable thing that Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall have taught everyone is that is better to marry for love than for any other reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, people don't judge Camilla for upsetting the children with her affair with Charles, otherwise they would have to dislike Diana for writing about it, her own affairs and all her other problems with Charles' and her own family, which she put into the public domain.

The reason most of them dislike Camilla is because she replaced their 'idea' of a princess.

I wonder how any of us would cope with the terrible things Camilla has had said about her, based as I said, on what the media wanted us to believe.

Id like to comment on some who said that Camilla wasnt treated bad by people, i think thats far from it! Camilla was treated bad by people and the media both were horrible to her...she used to go to supermarkets and people used to through all kinds of things at her and she used to affoid going to places because she used to get all sorts of nasty comments thrown at her!!!

Skydragon said:
The reason most of them dislike Camilla is because she replaced their 'idea' of a princess.
Camilla is undeniably a much more mentally stable Princess of Wales than Diana was. That isn't to diminish Diana at all though. I adored the late princess, not only because she was beautiful with a heart of gold, but primarily because of the love of her children.

You brought up a good point about Camilla replacing people's ideas of a 'princess': looking towards the future, her style seems more in line with previous Queen Consorts of the last century (with the exception of Alexandra). Presumably, this should serve her very well.

Skydragon said:

I think you are right Skydragon. From the moment of her engagement Diana was portrayed as the storybook 'Princess'. Reality didn't have a lot to do with it. And when the end of the marriage loomed, I think the media lashed out, seeing their 'front page spreads' and endless tabloid gold in dire danger of ending.

Their response was to create a wicked fairy/stepmother evil to the bone. Never let it be said that they let the truth get in way of a good headline - paycheque!:mad:

To be honest, I don't think Camilla stood a chance with all the vicious publicity generated in aid of a 'headline'.:(

How wonderful it is that time and reality have started to win and people are beginning to see the DOC as a warm and loving wife and stepmother. Someone who is there behind them, backing them all the way. Supporting and encouraging with love and understanding. She seems to have no need to be in the front of the news, but part of the story with her husband and stepchildren. All envolved seem to be enjoying the situation.

May we all continue to see a renewed and reinvigorated Prince Charles and a carefree Prince William and Prince Harry.

Thankyou Camilla for enabling our Prince to be the man we all thought he could be.:cool:

PreDoc - I am not trying to diminish Dianas love for her children in any way but, what everyone seems to miss, is the real and genuine love Camilla also has for these young men.

No stepmother would wish to replace a biological mother but, the love they have for her, seems genuine. Lets be honest, to gain the love and trust of a stepchild must be one of the hardest things in the world.

Vita said:
Wow if that's true, that's a shame. I can only say that my family and some of the people I know who are British were staunch Diana fans from the get go. But the media does play a big part in what the rest of the world thinks because obviously that's where we get the info from. But you never really heard much about DOC and what she was doing because she definitely kept herself out of the public eye.
She had to keep herself out of the public eye!
With her past as the mistress to the Prince of Wales, while still married to Andrew Parker Bowles, and her involvment in the relationship of DIana and Charles, there was nothing for her to come forward with. I am sure in a couple of more years when she has built up her credibility and has an "open" history with the prince and the people, she may have something to say and come forward in some way, but you will NEVER hear her speak on anything prior to her marriage!!;) IMO...

Most people (generally speaking) dont think of the Duchess as a Princess, although, we all know she is infact a Princess by the graces of her marriage.

Lets be honest, to gain the love and trust of a stepchild must be one of the hardest things in the world.

If they're already young adults, then yes!

"MII"

Kate Julie said:
I am sure in a couple of more years when she has built up her credibility and has an "open" history with the prince and the people, she may have something to say and come forward in some way, but you will NEVER hear her speak on anything prior to her marriage!!;) IMO...

I doubt very much if Camilla will ever give an interview, according to friends who have spoken 'on the record' Camilla intends to go to her grave without speaking publicly. She's from the Queen Mother school of royals "Never complain, never explain"

(The Queen Mother never gave an interview in her lifetime)

Skydragon said:
Sadly, people don't judge Camilla for upsetting the children with her affair with Charles, otherwise they would have to dislike Diana for writing about it, her own affairs and all her other problems with Charles' and her own family, which she put into the public domain.

I wonder how any of us would cope with the terrible things Camilla has had said about her, based as I said, on what the media wanted us to believe.

You are not giving camilla enough credit here. She is tough! I think, too the reason most dislike camilla is because they remember the manipulating that went on. eg. helping to select the bride; trying to befriend her when camilla and charles had been envolved; for suggesting "she's as quiet as a mouse - won't be any bother"! For not tending to her own marriage! Those are my reasons.There is something sneaky about her, IMO of course!(Before Diana came totally into the picture)

Charlotte1 said:
I doubt very much if Camilla will ever give an interview, according to friends who have spoken 'on the record' Camilla intends to go to her grave without speaking publicly. She's from the Queen Mother school of royals "Never complain, never explain"

Different generation and a different audience. I think as Camilla gets more comfortable within her role and as I said, has an open history with the prince and the people, you will see her speaking on behalf of some of her charities and interests, etc.
(The Queen Mother never gave an interview in her lifetime)

Different generation and a different audience. I think as Camilla gets more comfortable within her role and as I said, has an open history with the prince and the people, you will see her speaking on behalf of some of her charities and interests, etc:)

Camilla has given mini-interviews. She spoke directly to the cameras in New Orleans and in Egypt.

Kate Julie

Everything you have said is just gossip put about by Diana and the media she used. Do you have any corroborating evidence from anyone who was there and actually heard or saw any of this? I am convinced, as I said, the main reason most of them dislike Camilla is because she replaced their 'idea' of a princess but, of course they didn't have to live with the reality.

Good grief, if one of her crimes was to try to befriend Diana, then the rest of Charles' set and his family must be terrible people as well. Isn't that what everyone does when someone 'new' is introduced into a group. :confused: Thank goodness for friends like Camilla, willing to welcome new people.

The job Camilla is doing, for her husband and for her country is IMO wonderful and has actually made the people disillusioned with the celebrity culture, more interested in royalty.

BeatrixFan said:
The country was never against Camilla. The media was. The media hated her because she didn't provide them with endless snaps of leg and sparkle. Therefore, they reported that people disliked her, people tried to keep up with the Jones's and began to hate her because it was trendy. Now we see what a farce it all was.

I disagree. I think public opinion was very much against Camilla. I suspect that if Diana had still been alive their marriage would not have happened as smoothly as it did.

I think the only real reason people are willing to accept Camilla now is that they don't have Diana alive as a daily reminder. After all, when it comes to popularity she was (and probably still is) more popular than Camilla. As a result people have forgotten, so to speak, and are more willing to accept her.

Little_star said:
I disagree. I think public opinion was very much against Camilla. I suspect that if Diana had still been alive their marriage would not have happened as smoothly as it did.
I think the only real reason people are willing to accept Camilla now is that they don't have Diana alive

Their wedding would have been easier and earlier, Camilla was already being accepted at the time of the crash, their plans had to be put on hold!

The people in the UK who didn't particularly like Diana are more than happy to accept the woman that makes their PoW happy and content.

Last edited:
I disagree Little_star. Diana's death made their marriage harder not easier.

Camilla and Diana are both mainuplative people in my eyes. They are both Cancerians in their nature. However I would be very happy for Prince Charles because he has married the woman he truly loved and whom loves him very much. Camilla is trying her best to do a good job at the age of 58 years old which is certainly very challenging for herself. I just want to wish Prince Charles and her best wishes because I believe Prince Charles will be a good king with Camilla by his side.

Kate Julie said:
You are not giving camilla enough credit here. She is tough! I think, too the reason most dislike camilla is because they remember the manipulating that went on. eg. helping to select the bride; trying to befriend her when camilla and charles had been envolved; for suggesting "she's as quiet as a mouse - won't be any bother"! For not tending to her own marriage! Those are my reasons.There is something sneaky about her, IMO of course!(Before Diana came totally into the picture)

I think for those that choose to believe, then yes manipulating a young girl into marrying your lover would cause some people to dislike Camilla but what people forget is that when a marriage breaks down as badly as Charles and Diana's the partners say things they never meant, they change their story, and their friends take sides and repeat exaggerated stories that they may not even be aware of. Its very common and it doesn't just happen with Charles and Diana.

I take a hefty grain of salt anything that was published or let known after 1986 when the marriage was apparently in trouble and these revelations fall in that category.

I remember the day Diana died. Actually it was about 11:00 PM Friday I think-maybe Saturday-when the news hit Philadelphia. I was with my grandmother and aunt for the weekend. My grandmother told me to turn on the news because she knew how much I loved following the BRF. After they pronounced Diana dead, immediately afterward came at least two weeks worth of back to back coverage.

The media was v. pro-Diana because Diana was willing to share her story, but at the same time, it seemed as if she has been the wronged in her marriage and I know that most Americans love to route for the underdog and it seemed as if that's what she was. I stayed up till the early morn watching the coverage those two weeks and throughout the American coverage (and I saw a lot off BBC coverage but I'll just stick to what I know) it was rather clear: Diana was painted the tragic heroine and the DOC was painted as the horrible woman who was half responsible for her sorrows. Next, came the interviews with some of the British subjects (am I allowed to say subjects?) and to this day I have to say most of them seemed v. chilly towards Prince Charles and Camilla. Some believed Diana would have never been where she was if she was still with Prince Charles.

All I'm saying is when I said earlier that it seemed as the country was not too pleased with Camilla or Prince Charles, I was just basing it on not only what some of British kinfolk were saying, but also what I was seeing on television. And it wasn't as if people didn't know all the stuff that Diana had did because all of the American Networks made sure to talk about all of Diana's mishaps, but when they did, it was almost as if she only made bad decisions because of all the wrong that had been done to her. Obviously most people don't think it's right to do wrong just because you've been wronged but, again, many people will sympathize or think it somewhat justifiable. I know I did; especially at twelve when it seems like everything is black or white (though I still see things that way LOL).

And now that times has passed and Camilla is princess, it seems to me that some just think it's okay to sweep what she and he did under the rug because her and the prince are now seen as the star-crossed lovers finally joined. Sure they have a bit of a tragic story that turned into a happy ending, but look at the price that it seems other people had to pay in order for her to be the "loving stepmother" and "devoted and supportive wife."

I do think that DOC and PC make an excellent couple. They are right for each other in everyway. Maybe they should have been together from the start. I don't deny that. They've lasted for over thirty years and Lord knows if that ain't love then I don't know what is, but I guess for me, my opinion of them really hasn't changed much just because of what happened during the middle of their relationship. But as long as the people of Britain are cool then it's your thang, you know? I mean at one point you just have to suck it up and think about what's good for the better of the country, and I have to agree-as much as I love Diana and believe that a lot of that stuff wasn't her fault-Camilla is much more stable. But then again, she always had the heart of the man who had hers.

Last edited:
I think the main reason that alot of Royal watchers want to sweep Diana under the carpet is because they believe that Diana did more damage to the Monarchy than good. I certainly believe that. She was a wonderful celebrity but a hopeless consort and Camilla is a brilliant consort with no interest in being a celebrity. That's the difference.

nonsense! they all did damage to the monarchy! diana is sweep under the carpet because she is no longer alive

xtan said:
nonsense! they all did damage to the monarchy! diana is sweep under the carpet because she is no longer alive

I just don't see why Diana has to be the one who is single handedly responsible for "damaging" the monarchy when it's Prince Charles who is actually the real royal. Shouldn't he be responsible for damaging his own family as well? What about Sarah Furgeson and Prince Andrew? The Royal Family has not been infallible since the day it came into existence, the only difference between then and now is that saying something about them in a negative fashion might have cost you a head back in the day.

Whatever one thinks of PC and the DOC now or then, it's only fair they take equal shares of tarnishing the BRF image (as if it wasn't a bit tarnished before then). Diana wasn't in this alone and neither were PC or the DOC.

I don't ever remember Diana trying to be a celebrity, it just happened. The media took a shine to her and went to town with hit. Maybe she did create some hype during the War of the Wales' but for initially, I don't think she was trying garner the attention. Besides there were many RF members who fancied being in the spolight before Diana and no one tries to sweep them under the rug. But then again, I don't know. Maybe you have.

Vita said:
I just don't see why Diana has to be the one who is single handedly responsible for "damaging" the monarchy when it's Prince Charles who is actually the real royal.

Be fair, now. The previous post did say that "they all did damage to the monarchy." It sounds as though you're really in agreement with what xtan posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom