When did your opinion of Diana change and why?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

When did your opinion of Diana start to change and why?

• Morton book (1990)

Votes: 25 9.8%
  • War of the Waleses (starting 1990)

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Squidgygate (1992)

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Hewitt affair (1993)

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • Charles' interview (1994)

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Panorama interview (1995)

Votes: 43 16.9%
  • Phone calls to Oliver Hoare (1994)

Votes: 14 5.5%
  • Dodi al-Fayed (1997)

Votes: 23 9.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 96 37.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to put what a wonderful post, to you and jcbcode99, but as you probably know, I have said I will not post on these threads because it upsets too many people, so my lips are sealed, hands tied, silenced!:flowers:

Ahh, the 'I would never dream of posting xyz' about xyz post. While lips were sealed and hands were tied, fingers were still flying across the keyboard, so not quite silenced.

Let's stop the bickering before this thread gets closed. Back on topic!!!

I disagree. I don't think you can make her responsible for her apparition in the headlines today. If we keep rehashing, as you say, it's not because she's Diana, it's because she's famous. And mind you, most of the news coming up today are mostly gossips and stories to sell papers. For example, the sex claim with Paul Burrell; it'd be wrong to blame her for that when nobody knows if it's true. All you see today when her name appears is because a few are still using her as their cash cow. It will always be the same thing for famous dead people.

I agree with you with things like Paul Burrell and the others coming up with stuff that wasn't really known or suspected during her life but there are people still bringing up things like Hewitt, the phone calls, the Morton Book and her Panorama interview and those she was responsible for and those are the things that I blame her for. In doing those things she didn't think about her sons and the long term impact on their lives. Those are the things she should be blamed for that her sons are still suffering through.

People like Burrell, who just wants to make money off her now that she is gone and can't defend herself I don't blame her for totally - as she has no control over their actions but... had she not done some of the things she did then these people wouldn't be able to say the things they do and be believed.

So she is responsible for the pain that her sons probably are still suffering when they see her life rehashed - due to actions for which she must be held responsible as she did them or due to the fact that what she did makes it possible for others to cash in on her. How must the princes feel when Burrell says some of the things he says? Why does he say these things - because she treated him in such a way that he feels that he can say these things e.g. that he is protecting her legacy and not William and Harry. Burrell must be held accountable for that comment and comdemned for it, but the fact that there are people who see that as correct is because of her actions. The fact that when they support their father and say they 'love Camilla to bits' is seen by some as betraying their mother is partly because their mother trashed their father in public - so the criticism of her sons is still due to the actions of the mother.

I am totally against anyone who is trying to cash in on her life but the fact that people are still doing so is because of her actions. The fact that they are doing so in often a negative way surely brings sadness to her sons. That is my point - her actions lead to current actions which should be upsetting her sons and therefore she is responsible - even 11 years after her death.

Let's stop the bickering before this thread gets closed. Back on topic!!!

Hear Hear!

As I voted "{ Other"and an explanation was requested,here it is.

On Diana.She never was my next best thing instead of a pet she seems to be to many others.
Remembering the day of their engagement,I recall I thought;
"What is this suppose to be?" A "lightweight",unfit for her future role.

With the years,one saw her change,elevate from a schoolkid to a young woman,into a hysterical belated adolescent,a state
of mind she never got away from.A loose canon and flimsy superficial girl who acted while camera's buzzed,but other then that,
wasn't halve as special as the St.Di diehards would like you to believe.

But then that comes/came with that silly cry for celebrities,for superficial/fake/plastic stuff/people that reached hysterical proportions really,focussing on Diana.The Panorama interview hit us all like a brick,and god,was she good,she knew exactly how to play the camera's,
work her eyelashes for her,her "innocent" appearance,all of that and then some.

Her causes,yes,they did raise awareness,got to give her that.
She could focuss on a cause for as long as it took,and certainly while camera's were rolling,
I never lost that feel of "fake" watching her.
She made an impact nonetheless.

Nevertheless,I recall I heard about an accident in Paris late that night in '97.I never went to bed but watched/listened to the BBC as,
little by little,news broke.
And was really devastated to learn they both had died,she,I 've always felt,due to a sloppy Paris ambulance system.Why drive from
one end of Paris at the Pont d'Alma to the other end while other hospitals were so much closer by?I've never understood that,
it was so unnescesary.

What developed then was the most unheard of display of grief.
Well,it should have been,but right from the very start that sunday morning,I recall the BBC's Duncan Kennedy,and Jenny Bond,
using phrases as if a saint had just left us and talked each and everyone into a sort of media hysterics unknown to history and
a vox populi ad nauseam.

There was immense grief,mixed with,what I saw/see,as immense fake as well,and it often was not as much the grief for Diana's
passing as well as their own frustrations or 5 minutes of fame or whatever,poured out into the streets of London.Appalling.

Those of you who were old enough at the time,will understand when I say "it chooked me up to watch the funeral".Everything,from the moment her coffin left Kensington Palace to the Abbey,to the boys joining the procession,the millions lining the streets in silence.That
made a lasting impact.No/one in his right mind wants anyone to die that young,but no/one could ever have imagined this outpoor either.
It was perplexing really,beyond anything known to men before,except for JFK´s assassination and funeral,if you were old enough,and I was.Felt I couldn´t breath at times,so chooked up by the images on tv,the service at the Abbey,all.
And all that for a girl I never thought was fit for her role at all.She made an impact,even on me.

I agree with you with things like Paul Burrell and the others coming up with stuff that wasn't really known or suspected during her life but there are people still bringing up things like Hewitt, the phone calls, the Morton Book and her Panorama interview and those she was responsible for and those are the things that I blame her for. In doing those things she didn't think about her sons and the long term impact on their lives. Those are the things she should be blamed for that her sons are still suffering through.

People like Burrell, who just wants to make money off her now that she is gone and can't defend herself I don't blame her for totally - as she has no control over their actions but... had she not done some of the things she did then these people wouldn't be able to say the things they do and be believed.

So she is responsible for the pain that her sons probably are still suffering when they see her life rehashed - due to actions for which she must be held responsible as she did them or due to the fact that what she did makes it possible for others to cash in on her. How must the princes feel when Burrell says some of the things he says? Why does he say these things - because she treated him in such a way that he feels that he can say these things e.g. that he is protecting her legacy and not William and Harry. Burrell must be held accountable for that comment and comdemned for it, but the fact that there are people who see that as correct is because of her actions. The fact that when they support their father and say they 'love Camilla to bits' is seen by some as betraying their mother is partly because their mother trashed their father in public - so the criticism of her sons is still due to the actions of the mother.

I am totally against anyone who is trying to cash in on her life but the fact that people are still doing so is because of her actions. The fact that they are doing so in often a negative way surely brings sadness to her sons. That is my point - her actions lead to current actions which should be upsetting her sons and therefore she is responsible - even 11 years after her death.

Excuse me but I don't follow you. It's not actually Burrell who did the claim but one of his in-laws and all I can recall of what Burrell said was never derogatory towards Diana. You can't blame her for acting bad with Burrell if he's not more responsible than her (from what we are aware of, of course). Moreover, if you blame Diana for having an affair with Hewitt, which I need to precise was never meant to be public, you have to be fair and admit that it's exactly the same thing for Charles with Camilla. Both couples were spread over the tabloids front pages and both stories may have upset the Princes. So Diana responsible for having an secret affair and being recorded during phone calls? Umm, I don't think so. But you have a point with the Panorama Interview and the Morton book; that was a true mistake and totally unwise thing to do.

Felt I couldn´t breath at times, so chooked up by the images on tv, the service at the Abbey, all. And all that for a girl I never thought was fit for her role at all. She made an impact, even on me.

Diana, Princess of Wales made an impact on the world. I truly believe if two factors in her marriage were never there - her broken mental health and young age - Princess Diana would still be married to Prince Charles and maybe alive today.I have thought of her as a tragic figure ad can not change my good opinion of her.:flowers:

There is something tragic about her, I agree. I do believe that she had great hopes for her marriage and adult life--perhaps hoping against hope that things would be okay after they were married and on their own. But the weaknesses were there and came out strongly under great pressure. She gave into her weaknesses/flaws in terms of how she conducted her personal life and the people she went to for her advice. The hardest thing about watching Diana's life in the last few years was seeing her rushing headlong into destruction. She was taking so many risks and losing control of everything. It was a sad end.:ermm:

Diana, Princess of Wales made an impact on the world. I truly believe if two factors in her marriage were never there - her broken mental health and young age - Princess Diana would still be married to Prince Charles and maybe alive today.I have thought of her as a tragic figure ad can not change my good opinion of her.:flowers:

There is something tragic about her, I agree. I do believe that she had great hopes for her marriage and adult life--perhaps hoping against hope that things would be okay after they were married and on their own. But the weaknesses were there and came out strongly under great pressure. She gave into her weaknesses/flaws in terms of how she conducted her personal life and the people she went to for her advice. The hardest thing about watching Diana's life in the last few years was seeing her rushing headlong into destruction. She was taking so many risks and losing control of everything. It was a sad end.:ermm:

I can't help but agree with you Mermaid1962, well said.

My opinion of the Princess has never changed. I remember looking at photos and media footage of Princess Diana in 97 and noticed how happy and healthy she looked. I beleive she was on the road to maturity and to becoming a better person, when she passed.

I beleive she was on the road to maturity and to becoming a better person, when she passed.

Agree with you sirhon. That is why her death was tragic.

BTW LOVE YOUR AVARTAR!!!! CHANGE COMING:flowers:!!!!!

I didn´t vote, because I consider Diana as a human being who had great qualities and also faults like anyone of us. For me, and most Brazilians, she represented the beauty, magic and charisma that a princess should have.

But that's not what I said.:flowers:

I can't help but agree with you Mermaid1962, well said.

My opinion of the Princess has never changed. I remember looking at photos and media footage of Princess Diana in 97 and noticed how happy and healthy she looked. I beleive she was on the road to maturity and to becoming a better person, when she passed.

Yes, I understand that--the "beauty, magic, and charisma." I like to remember that side of her as well as the side of her that was caring and kind. :flowers: There were two Dianas, in a way. I think that toward the end of her life, we were seeing more of the formerly private Diana. The more she tried to justify her behaviour, the worse she looked. Had she kept quiet about her personal life, her public persona wouldn't have been so damaged.

I didn´t vote, because I consider Diana as a human being who had great qualities and also faults like anyone of us. For me, and most Brazilians, she represented the beauty, magic and charisma that a princess should have.

Yes, I understand that--the "beauty, magic, and charisma." I like to remember that side of her as well as the side of her that was caring and kind. :flowers: There were two Dianas, in a way. I think that toward the end of her life, we were seeing more of the formerly private Diana. The more she tried to justify her behaviour, the worse she looked. Had she kept quiet about her personal life, her public persona wouldn't have been so damaged.

I just think the 1986-1996 Diana, Princess of Wales was getting mentally sick and her reckless actions in her personal life portray that to me. But she did have her beauty, magic and charisma in public. SHE WAS HUMAN AND ALL HUMANS HAVE SOME FAULTS. I think if she would have lives we would have seen a great friendship between Diana and the BRF. She was coming to maturity at 36. So I still think Diana's good out weigh the bad and my opinion will never change about how good Diana, Princess of Wales was and would have come to be if she lived.:)

Yes, I quite agree. Had she survived that accident, I think that it might have been a life-changing experience for her. Close brushes with death often do that.:flowers:

I just think the 1986-1996 Diana, Princess of Wales was getting mentally sick and her reckless actions in her personal life portray that to me. But she did have her beauty, magic and charisma in public. SHE WAS HUMAN AND ALL HUMANS HAVE SOME FAULTS.

However my main royal interest is Diana (i have a huge collection on her) my opinion on her changed actually the last year. I started to look at images from her in video's and i noticed that many many times she looks bored and like she was making fun of everybody and also the way she looked in the camera sometimes was so strange.
I also noticed that many times she did not react on kind gestures from charles even turned the other side. Most pics we see from her is with a smiling face but that is just the nicest pic take out but as far as i concern the attitude of diana was not grown up many times.

Maybe i am wrong and i hope so but i have the feeling that she was a kind of nagging woman. neverthelles she was a beautiful woman and worked very hard, that is for sure.

Di-fan

That was my perception too... that she was finally entering a phase of her life where she was content and more in control. The timing of her death was so sad in this respect; I think there was much untapped potential there. It seemed like her demons were finally dissipating. Who knows the woman she would've evolved into with a healthier maturity and a better sense of self-worth? The most unwise things she did seem to have been products of someone who felt out of control.

As it was, she didn't have the chance to live her mistakes down as Charles apparently has... or as most of us hope to. ;)

I just think the 1986-1996 Diana, Princess of Wales was getting mentally sick and her reckless actions in her personal life portray that to me. But she did have her beauty, magic and charisma in public. SHE WAS HUMAN AND ALL HUMANS HAVE SOME FAULTS. I think if she would have lives we would have seen a great friendship between Diana and the BRF. She was coming to maturity at 36. So I still think Diana's good out weigh the bad and my opinion will never change about how good Diana, Princess of Wales was and would have come to be if she lived.:)

That was my perception too... that she was finally entering a phase of her life where she was content and more in control. The timing of her death was so sad in this respect; I think there was much untapped potential there. It seemed like her demons were finally dissipating. Who knows the woman she would've evolved into with a healthier maturity and a better sense of self-worth? The most unwise things she did seem to have been products of someone who felt out of control.

As it was, she didn't have the chance to live her mistakes down as Charles apparently has... or as most of us hope to. ;)

Stardrift so right. Nice that you have join the TRF. :)

I was 15 when Diana died, and I remember being so devastated. I got up at 4am to watch the funeral. It was so sad to see someone who seemed to be on the road to peace and happiness so suddenly lose their life. For a while, I saw her almost like a saint and refused to believe any of the stories of her being mentally ill or manipulative.

Now that it has been 11 years since Diana died, I see her differently. I do think she was acting irrationally during the War of the Waleses, without a thought of how it would all effect her two boys. The Panorama interview was just plain wrong, with her saying to the whole world that Charles should not be King.

I have to be honest that I really don't think Diana was that good of a mother. Yes, she was very attentive and affectionate. But a good mother wouldn't use her kids as part of her scheme to get even with their father or embarrass them in front of the world. And if she was manipulative with her public image, she would've been manipulative with Wills and Harry.

I don't see Diana as a bad woman or a good woman. She did have faults like everyone else does, but I see her as unwise, and emotionally immature. Her charity work did show the kindness of her heart, but I also wonder if she overdid it.

I've moved a couple of posts over to the Charles & Diana thread as they are a better fit there than to the "when did your opinion change" question.

To answer the question: It hasn't.

(My post was one that was moved, although I don't post in the Charles and Diana thread.)

I just came across this topic today. I chose "other"
I was twelve when Charles and Diana married. Before that I was not interested in royalty. But from the moment I saw the wedding on a very bad tiny televisionscreen on a campingsite I was hooked. I really liked Diana and also the rest of the BRF ( and later on also other royals). I "felt in love" with prince Andrew:lol:( how pathetic) I think I needed all this in my teens. I was a very shy girl and collecting items about esp Diana was just an escape. When I was 18-19 years it all of a sudden stopped, I lost my interest.
Then I came to England in 1995, I lived there till 1999. It was impossible not to notice Diana. She was everywhere: in newspapers, magazines, television etc. It was then when my opinion changed. I really wondered why I had been so interested in her. To be honest I found her very, very pathetic.
Her endless revenge, the absolutely stupid Panorama interview, I only saw half of it.
I realised then that she had a lot of psychological problems. But she always blamed someone else and it seemed she refused to see her own part in the problems.
I remember thinking in 1997 when I read that Diana was again blackmailing the RF: "When does this stop, she can't go on like this for her whole life!"
Two or three weeks later she was dead. I was shocked and felt sorry that she had not overcome her problems. She was so selfdestructive. Of course the crash was not her fault, but i do think that she destroyed herself. So sad.
Although I was not keen on Charles either (esp his aldultery), I do like him now. He is doing a good job and he is a good father.
I am very pleased there is no Diana in the Dutch Royal family, this is just not a healthy situation

How was Diana blackmailing the royal family in 1997?

My opinion of Diana never changed per say. As the years have gone on I've gotten a new perspective. Like when she revealed that she too had an affair, I saw her as more of a human being like myself. She insecruities just like I did/do. I never have like Diana bashers, shes no longer here to defend herself. She so many internal conflicts that she just didn't know what to do with herself and her reaction to it, all of it played out in the public eye. Yes, Diana did bring some the tabloid stuff on herself. I see her now just like you or I a human being that had faults.

My perception of Diana did not change. I was married a year after Diana and Charles and my two sons were born a year after William and Harry. I clearly remember reading about and watching the courtship, engagement and their wedding and wondering how on Earth Diana could ever survive adjustment into royal life. Her damage was so very obvious to me even then.

Both Charles and Diana used the other. As a schoolgirl, Diana had a poster of Charles in her room. She first met him at a "country" Spencer gathering. Years later, by her own admission, her first lengthy conversation with him was quite planned, with her using her compassion over the death of his dear uncle to immediately endear him to her. Obviously, Charles was following the call of duty and expectation in his choice of marriage partner. It was such a contrived fairytale from the very onset.

Diana survived as long as she did by proving that her lack of "O Levels" in relation to her actual level of intelligence was reflective only on paper. The Royal Family, Charles included, and Camilla as well had absolutely no clue that Diana could and would turn out to be such a force with which to be reckoned. Even when there was a faulty step on Diana's part, royal protocol assured Diana a win at every turn. The stiff upper lip and a silent defense by the royals opened the door for a windfall of public successes for Diana. She played the game as a pro in spite of all of her personal damage. It is no wonder at all that the Duke of E so disliked her.

Diana's downfall was in her timing. Ultimately, she failed to learn and exhibit good timing. By 1997 the fight was over, yet she was still playing the game. If only she had avoided allowing the likes of Al Fayed then or in her future to thrust her into the middle of his own battle with the British government and the royal family, she would most probably have found and achieved much of the security and balance that she so desperately sought. I would like to beleive that vindictiveness did not cause her death, but sadly I think she was very much aware of how what she was doing would effect both Dr. Khan and the royal family, when she accepted the invitations to her last holidays. She had already won the game...if only she had realized it and stopped playing.

So very true. I wonder if she would be with Dr. Khan now or living in America? I wish she did not gamble on life after she won her freedom. But even with that shortcoming I still admire Diana, Princess of Wales.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my opinion changed long after she died. I was young then and never remembered all the incidences before. I didn't hate her, but I saw her as human, rather than some idolized fairy tale princess. I never liked her comment about her treatment by the royal family after all she "had done for them." She did good things for them: produced (good looking) heir and spare, gave them good publicity after a some what scandalous 1970s, and eased the atmosphere and their interaction with the public.
However, marrying into the royal family gave her a great outlet as well. Being essentially a high school drop out, Diana would have probably just lived sheltered, cushy life as the wife of a fellow aristocrat or nouveau riche social climber looking for blue-blooded connections. By marrying Charles, she managed to become the thing she excelled at, a celebrity. Diana just had star-power, and she used it for good like charity work and bad during her divorce and her affair with Dodi.

Nouveau-riche social climber?!:eek:

I think my opinion changed long after she died. I was young then and never remembered all the incidences before. I didn't hate her, but I saw her as human, rather than some idolized fairy tale princess. I never liked her comment about her treatment by the royal family after all she "had done for them." She did good things for them: produced (good looking) heir and spare, gave them good publicity after a some what scandalous 1970s, and eased the atmosphere and their interaction with the public.
However, marrying into the royal family gave her a great outlet as well. Being essentially a high school drop out, Diana would have probably just lived sheltered, cushy life as the wife of a fellow aristocrat or nouveau riche social climber looking for blue-blooded connections. By marrying Charles, she managed to become the thing she excelled at, a celebrity. Diana just had star-power, and she used it for good like charity work and bad during her divorce and her affair with Dodi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom