When did your opinion of Diana change and why?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

When did your opinion of Diana start to change and why?

• Morton book (1990)

Votes: 25 9.8%
  • War of the Waleses (starting 1990)

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Squidgygate (1992)

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Hewitt affair (1993)

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • Charles' interview (1994)

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Panorama interview (1995)

Votes: 43 16.9%
  • Phone calls to Oliver Hoare (1994)

Votes: 14 5.5%
  • Dodi al-Fayed (1997)

Votes: 23 9.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 96 37.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Skydragon makes a very excellent, valid point that suggests to me that Diana was not mentally ill/unstable. If it were the case that Diana was taking sleeping pills for five years, then I think it is highly likely, especially with the amount of public engagements she had, that would have taken stimulants as well. Sometimes, those things can make you a bit loopy and a little foggy--also, taking medications daily for years does have side effects.

I read that Princess Diana for the first ten years of her life did not sleep through the night, so I don't think she took sleeping pills or stimulants. She did not drink and would not take medications the the shrinks were going to prescribe, so I really don't think she took a sleeping aid.

I know that we're all suggesting that perhaps Diana had a mental illness or was mentally unstable--but I just don't buy it. The only problem we know of was her eating disorder and we can look at her family and see some problems--but not her immediate family. Her sisters seem quite normal and her brother seems a lot like Diana, in my opinioin.

Princess Diana's mother in her later life was an alcoholic and her oldest sister Sarah had anorexia when she was dating Prince Charles. Plus her uncle commiting suicide, so as you can see her family had a history of mental illness. Alcoholics are very depressed individuals that can sometimes be manic depressive and eating disorders are mental illness that need a lot of counseling and I believe medication.

Because of the inquest I have been thinking a lot about Princess Diana lately. I truly believe she was never loved by Prince Charles, mentally ill, spoil and very Spencer/Femory in temperment that brought about a very unhappy life. I don't think Princess Diana was just a vindictive and spoil individual as some people think of her. :flowers:

georgia
I don't think Princess Diana was just a vindictive and spoil individual as some people think of her

I also don't believe that the Princess was just a vindictive and spoiled individual. She was a kind, caring and giving woman.

Post partum depression makes three conditions Diana had.

She used the blue eyeliner when she first got engaged because she was still used to doing her own makeup and all the girls in the early 80s wore blue eyeliner.

I read that Princess Diana for the first ten years of her life did not sleep through the night, so I don't think she took sleeping pills or stimulants. She did not drink and would not take medications the the shrinks were going to prescribe, so I really don't think she took a sleeping aid...
Well "spoil" is too much for me. She was a quick-tempered child and she still kept this attitude in her married life and that wasn't a good thing but "spoil", I don't think so either. Her parents accepted everything for her but because they just wanted peace. If she was spoiled, then it's not her to blame. I'm not saying they were not good parents but it seems that they cared more about themselves than their kids education ; just look how they fought to have the childminder !

Last edited by a moderator:
Post partum depression makes three conditions Diana had.

She used the blue eyeliner when she first got engaged because she was still used to doing her own makeup and all the girls in the early 80s wore blue eyeliner.

Thanks ysbel :D. I agree that makeup can be significant of her mental state. Her way of dressing was rarely designed without a message or an idea to show.

If Princess Diana sounded cold and calculating, could it be because she rehearsed her lines? I read in various books on Diana that the questions were given to her before hand. Being all over the place in speech is not cold and calculating, but very confused individual.

I don't think she was all over the place; she seemed very calmed and very composed. The reason she seemed calculating were the lines she decided to rehearse. In response to her marriage she said coolly, Well there were three in this marriage so it was a bit crowded when she knew that wasn't the total truth but it would be memorable enough that people would forget that it wasn't the truth.

I also don't agree with the other member who said Diana was undisciplined. When she wanted something she could be incredibly disciplined. Collaborating with Bashir on the interview, writing and rehearsing and keeping it a secret from all of her closest friends over several weeks and the ability to perform her rehearsed lines all on cue speaks of an incredible discipline and determination to follow through with the interview's purpose. It is too bad that all Diana's charisma, intelligence, and self-determination were bent towards damaging the 'enemy' as she called them (the royal family) and Diana succeeded marvelously in damaging the enemy as I knew she could do if she put her mind to it. The tragedy again was what she chose to put her mind to.

That action and some others are the reason that people call Diana vindictive. She may not have been vindictive to everybody every single time but she was vindictive to enough people often enough that vindictive is a fair and just adjective to use to describe Diana.

Well "spoil" is too much for me. She was a quick-tempered child and she still kept this attitude in her married life and that wasn't a good thing but "spoil", I don't think so either. Her parents accepted everything for her but because they just wanted peace. If she was spoiled, then it's not her to blame. I'm not saying they were not good parents but it seems that they cared more about themselves than their kids education ; just look how they fought to have the childminder !

I think when Diana was a child then being spoiled would be her parents fault. But once she became an adult the she bore the responsibility of whether she wanted to continue the spoiled behavior. That goes for Charles too.

Thanks ysbel :D. I agree that makeup can be significant of her mental state. Her way of dressing was rarely designed without a message or an idea to show.

Well I think the message of the blue eyeliner was that Diana wanted to look like all the other 80s girls. :D But what I think she meant was the black eyeliner that Diana used for the Panorama interview. It looked very dramatic and made her look sadder. I think that was on purpose.

Plus her uncle commiting suicide, so as you can see her family had a history of mental illness. :flowers:
Which uncle is this? Her mother's or dad's brother? I know Diana had a step-brother that committed suicide supposedly, but I never heard about any uncle.

WHY do people everywhere think that they had a RIGHT to EXPECT the marriage of Charles and Diana to work out? WHY did they expect the ROMANCE OF A CENTURY out of it?

Even during the courtship phase, Charles was openly IN LOVE with Camilla and Diana was IN LOVE with being the Princess of Wales and someday QUEEN. Is there really any dispute about this?

I will never be convinced that there were not private understandings that Charles would continue to see and sleep with Camilla, that Diana would get the Royal life and status she so craved and everyone would SHUT UP and not cause a stink about it. Problem is, those agreements were not kept.

Diana produced the heir and the spare, that was her function. She was paid in excess of 17 MILLION GBP for her job performance, in the divorce and she kept the Princess of Wales title.

People's dream bubble got busted, WAHHH, time to get over it.

Which uncle is this? Her mother's or dad's brother? I know Diana had a step-brother that committed suicide supposedly, but I never heard about any uncle.

Yes, but this step-brother, Adam Shand Kydd, died in 2004. So it couldn't be put as a factor of mental illness and so on. Adam Shand Kydd - Telegraph

I don't know the name of that uncle ... Maybe someone can help us there ?

WHY do people everywhere think that they had a RIGHT to EXPECT the marriage of Charles and Diana to work out? WHY did they expect the ROMANCE OF A CENTURY out of it?
Even during the courtship phase, Charles was openly IN LOVE with Camilla and Diana was IN LOVE with being the Princess of Wales and someday QUEEN. Is there really any dispute about this?t.
(my bolding)

As I admire your frankness, aren't you a little simplistic here ? Diana had thought about being Queen one day of course but are you saying that she only married Charles for that ?! Honestly, who would at 20 years old marry only for position. I don't believe it, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
(my bolding)

As I admire your frankness, aren't you a little simplistic here ? Diana had thought about being Queen one day of course but are you saying that she only married Charles for that ?! Honestly, who would at 20 years old marry only for position. I don't believe it, sorry.

The night before the wedding, at the Queen Mother's residence, it has been written repeatedly that she rode around all over the house on a tricycle reciting "I am going to be Queen" repeatedly. I think the thought had crossed her mind.

It was her mother's brother, Lord Fermoy. The same chap who, during Diana and Charles's courtship, took it upon himself to inform the press that Diana had never had a lover.

The night before the wedding, at the Queen Mother's residence, it has been written repeatedly that she rode around all over the house on a tricycle reciting "I am going to be Queen" repeatedly. I think the thought had crossed her mind.

I don't suppose for a minute that anyone is suggesting that it hadn't crossed her mind. It's just that a teenager from a broken home, brought up on a diet of Barbara Cartland novels, is likely to have wanted personal fulfillment from a marriage as well as just status.

I also don't agree with the other member who said Diana was undisciplined. When she wanted something she could be incredibly disciplined. Collaborating with Bashir on the interview, writing and rehearsing and keeping it a secret from all of her closest friends over several weeks and the ability to perform her rehearsed lines all on cue speaks of an incredible discipline and determination to follow through with the interview's purpose. It is too bad that all Diana's charisma, intelligence, and self-determination were bent towards damaging the 'enemy' as she called them (the royal family) and Diana succeeded marvelously in damaging the enemy as I knew she could do if she put her mind to it. The tragedy again was what she chose to put her mind to.

Diana was very disciplined with respect to her duties, too. She ran her office well and had a reputation for being far better organised and paying better attention to her correspondence, etc., than Charles.

It is indeed a shame that she did not direct her talents and energies to supporting her husband and the Monarchy - for her elder son's sake, if for no other reason.

But if she really wanted to be Queen, why would she jepordize her future title by doing an interview and having an author write a book about her life?

True but how do you explain bulimia and self-destruction if she seemed so selfish to you ? It takes alot to come to that and I don't think the problem started without an exterior factor.
Moreover, no one is vindictive or does such things that you describe very well by nature. Nobody is born to be this or that.
Even some psychiatrists believe that Bulimia is an attention seeking illness and apart from Diana telling us she was Bulimic, is there a medical report that confirms this? Again with the self mutilation, I don't recall Diana ever being seen with plasters or bandages on.

Everyone is capable of being a 'bad lot' and many times I believe it is nature rather than nurture. As I said, I am sure we all know people that had loving, caring family and they are complete rotters. I have also known people, as I am equally sure others have, that seem absolutely charming to everyone except their family.
(my bolding)
Many people are capable of plotting to marry to enhance their position, many are 'guided' to do so by parent(s) and grandparents(s).

Last edited:
Diana was very disciplined with respect to her duties, too. She ran her office well and had a reputation for being far better organised and paying better attention to her correspondence, etc., than Charles.

It is indeed a shame that she did not direct her talents and energies to supporting her husband and the Monarchy - for her elder son's sake, if for no other reason.

BRAVO!! I totally agree and find it remarkable that she was more interested in a feud with Prince Charles and his parents than what would be in the best interest of her eldest son and younger son as well actually. Most mothers DO put their children first.

I'm sorry but that tricycle story sounds ridiculous. I'm not sure I believe that's true.

But if she really wanted to be Queen, why would she jepordize her future title by doing an interview and having an author write a book about her life?

There is purely speculation on my part, but I think by that point she KNEW that there would be a divorce, I think she wanted one as badly as Charles at that point. I also think that her anger, resentment and rage at Prince Charles for loving and being in love with someone else overshadowed her common sense. I think she forgot the institution she was dealing with. I think she overestimated her own power and pull at that point. She appeared to be under the illusion that she could take the Monarchy on and WIN?????? Incredibly stupid, in my opinion.

I also think she was positioning herself for the best possible divorce settlement as well.

I'm sorry but that tricycle story sounds ridiculous. I'm not sure I believe that's true.

That was my first response as well, but Diana DID act like a child throughout her marriage and make very childish and irresponsible choices, even after she had sons to consider.

Even some psychiatrists believe that Bulimia is an attention seeking illness and apart from Diana telling us she was Bulimic, is there a medical report that confirms this? Again with the self mutilation, I don't recall Diana ever being seen with plasters or bandages on.

Okay for the self-destruction but for the bulimia or anorexia there are many pictures that can confirm it as well as many people close to her. For the self mutilation, I agee that there are not hard proof. :flowers:

It seems that some of you believe that she was all bad and evil. She didn't kill anyone, did she ? :D

Last edited:
It seems that some of you believe that she was all bad and evil.
Indeed, this is my impression as well. I'm getting the impression that some on this forum think the woman was downright evil and a horrible person.

Indeed, this is my impression as well. I'm getting the impression that some on this forum think the woman was downright evil and a horrible person.

I don't think she was evil and a horrible person at all. I think she was one of the most damaged human beings I have ever encountered in my entire life. I don't think the woman stood a chance from the day she was born. I think life conspired against her every step of the way.

With that being said, I don't think she was emotionally and mentally stable enough for any kind of adult romantic relationships, much less a marriage, much less a Royal marriage and all that entails.

She was significantly mentally ill and remained so throughout her life. I just hope that didn't get passed down to William and Harry.

Okay for the self-destruction but for the bulimia or anorexia there are many pictures that can confirm it as well as many people close to her. For the self mutilation, I agee that there are not hard proof. :flowers:

TheTruth I totally agree with your above statement. I do believe the self mutilation was done on one of the long royal vacation, so we really would never have seen Princess Diana in bandages.

It seems that some of you believe that she was all bad and evil. She didn't kill anyone, did she ? :D

I agree with TheTruth that some on this thread think she was all bad and evil.

Princess Diana's tragic, short life was mostly hell because of real and imagined situations. I really admired the her humanitarian abilities and the love she gave her children. My opinion of Princess Diana has just grown in the last few weeks from being on this TRF and I think all the troubles in her life shows that she was human and did the best that she could with the sorry situation and with all the problems that she had.:flowers:

I don't think she was evil and a horrible person at all. I think she was one of the most damaged human beings I have ever encountered in my entire life. I don't think the woman stood a chance from the day she was born. I think life conspired against her every step of the way.

With that being said, I don't think she was emotionally and mentally stable enough for any kind of adult romantic relationships, much less a marriage, much less a Royal marriage and all that entails.

She was significantly mentally ill and remained so throughout her life. I just hope that didn't get passed down to William and Harry.

Totally agree with the above statements of diamondBrg.:flowers:

Hi Diamond:

I agree with your analysis of Diana. She was a very emotionally messed up person and not very nice at times. Despite all her faults, I guess I will always have a soft spot for her. It is sad to read all the tales of her pettiness and irrational behavior. I don't like to think of her as mentally ill, just someone with a lot of emotional problems. Maybe there really isn't a difference, I don't know. Her marriage with Charles did not stand a chance because of her problems. The whole thing is sad to me.

Many people have written on this thread that they were 'pleased' to find that Diana was 'human' with failings like the rest of us.

This would pre-suppose that they thought she did not have any human failings - a myth put about by the media.

She was a young girl, not very bright - or at least not very academic - who came from a broken home. Rightly or wrongly, she had been chosen by 'the Establishment' as a suitable bride for the Prince of Wales, based on the old-fashioned principles that she had no romantic or sexual history, came from a noble family and was pretty. The fact that she was much younger than Prince Charles, was very naive, and did not share many of his views and ideals did not seem to matter. She was to look lovely, provide heirs, and support Prince Charles. She did the first two but not the third. The power she found she wielded because of the media-exploited Diana-mania went to her head and unfortunately she began to be manipulative.

I think neither Charles or Diana went into the marriage with anything other than the best intentions and hopes. But Charles did not love her - he married her for reasons of duty. If he had been less conscientious in his duties as heir to the throne, he might have said no to the Establishment. Perhaps he might have if Camilla had not married, knowing that she would never be acceptable to the Court. Perhaps he might have done what Harald of Norway did with Sonia. But he bowed to pressure.

I am sure Diana went into the marriage on a cloud of bliss - thinking of 'happy ever afterwards'. I don't think that anyone had explained the situation to her, that it was an arranged marriage. If they had, she might have decided it was not for her - or at least she would have been prepared. As it was, it all ended in disaster for both of them. He was not evil and unfeeling, but she felt betrayed and hit back like a manipulative child.

Times have changed now - many other Royal Families have come to realise that a good loving relationship that stands the test of time and royal pressures is what is important. I think that the fact that Prince William has been going out for so long with Kate Middleton, a middle class girl with no aristocratic connections, shows that the Court has learnt a lesson from his parents' disastrous marriage.

Would all those who think Diana was "all bad and evil" please identify yourselves, for I am unable to identify you from what you've said here. :D

I don't think Diana was all bad or evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom