The Travelling Diana Exhibition from Althorp

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh how I wish I could see this exhibit while it is in the United States- but would really like to go to Antwerp sometime and see the estate there. Those of you who have see it are so lucky!

Do you mean Althorp? Althorp is her family's estate, and there's a display there that's open during the summer months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diana: A Celebration Comes to Philidelphia, PA USA

The National Constitution Center in Philidelphia, PA USA will have nine galleries dedicated to the life and celebration of Diana, Princess of Wales. The galleries will include the life and legacy of Diana starting from her young childhood, to her engagement with HRH Prince Charles, to her marriage, to her charity work, etc. The galleries will be open from Oct 2nd - Dec 31st 2009. Apparently some of her personal artifacts will be included, like dresses, etc.
Here is the link...
National Constitution Center - Diana: A Celebration

The Spencer tiara was displayed with the veil and wedding dress. However, I'm not sure whether it's a replica and it's high on the mannequin's head, so you can't see it close up. But it does look authentic (i.e. made of diamonds and not of rhinestone) and if it is a replica, it is a very accurate.

Oh, I believe it was a replica.

Are there any photos one might post of this tiara on the display? I'd love to see it- thanks in advance!

you could not take photos in the exhibit sorry I wish i could have.

Empress Rouge, I saw on TV a few years ago a report about how the dress was cared for in transit and how conservators have to work with the fabric to protect it, so at that time it was the real dress.

If it's any kind of a reputable display, if these things are replicas, they should be labeled as such.

I thought the dress was real but the tiara did not look as bright and real as the pictures that I have seen in the past and even the ones at the exhibit....looked very fake to me but I am not a jewler....I may be wrong

I still haven't seen the exhibit, but I would imagine taking the real tiara would be a security and insurance nightmare.

I would imagine that the Earl, any company transporting these items and the museums would all have insurance on them. And the Earl should provide security and insurance for them anyway (otherwise I'd be nipping into Althorp for a souvenir).

Yes, I would imaginge that the tiara (among other things) do have security and insurance attached to them.

Buts it one thing to have those things (security and insurance) attached to it while its sitting in a vault in Britian, or on view at the Diana exhibit at Althrop, quite another to be touring all over the world. Which is what the big exhibits have to deal with on a regular, but would you consider this tour to be on the level of say the Hope Diamond?

I still haven't seen the exhibit, but I would imagine taking the real tiara would be a security and insurance nightmare.
Apparently, both are the genuine article.

... the tiara did not look as bright and real as the pictures that I have seen in the past and even the ones at the exhibit....looked very fake to me but I am not a jewler....I may be wrong
This point has been mentioned before in relation to the exhibition. The problem is that jewels set in silver are difficult to keep "bright" as silver tarnishes quickly and requires regular polishing. Someone here or elsewhere saw the Spencer tiara up close and was very disappointed with it's dull condition.

Oh then maybe it is the real deal....I hope you get a chnace to take the trip and see for yourself (Zonk) .... it was not as big as i thought it would have been and not a lot of stuff that has not been seen a thousand times before in public but it was nice to see the stuff in person for myself and not just in a book or on the internet..I guess it would depend on how big a fan you were to weather you thought the exhibition worth the drive...Oh one more thing in Philly I thought the sucurity was lax and that there were just regular gards with no guns just sticks.... odd I thought for having such pricles things such as Specer family jewls there....

I wouldn't think the Spencer jewels are priceless, not like the Koh-I-Noor, Hope Diamond or La Peregrina. I wouldn't even think the wedding dress is priceless.

I would guess at the most, the dress is $500,000, and only that because of the personal association with Diana. And I'd say $100,000 for the wedding tiara. I mean, it's a nice tiara but we see nice tiaras at Christie's all the time. And in this case the real value is the close association with Diana.

It's interesting about the family films you had never seen,Iowabelle. Do you think these have been seen publicly before or not? Perhaps not, as Earl Spencer did have quite a bit of films and photos of his children, however, it seems everything associated with Diana has been seen publicly at one time or the other.

Grace these were the same faimly films that were shown at the concert for Daina in 2007. There were about 157 personal items shown most have been seen in public before.:flowers:

This point has been mentioned before in relation to the exhibition. The problem is that jewels set in silver are difficult to keep "bright" as silver tarnishes quickly and requires regular polishing. Someone here or elsewhere saw the Spencer tiara up close and was very disappointed with it's dull condition.

All I can say is thank goodness for platinum, but of course that came in much later than some of these jewels and tiaras, a favourite brooch of mine, which is Victorian, is very disappointing when seen in normal light. Candlelight must have made them look magnificent.
T
Although the Spencer tiara looked magnificent at Diana´s wedding.

I wouldn't think the Spencer jewels are priceless.

I guess what I ment by priceless was irrplaceable tokens of her! Diana will never have another wedding dress, wear that tiara again, write another letter to her family. To me that is what makes the Spencer Family things Priceless.. Like you said because of the fact that they are tied to Diana. The dress was a dress but because she wore it, you can not replace it and you can not put a price on it. At least IMO. BTW the dress was a massive ball of fabric and very plain nothing like the pics I have seen with her in it, she really made the Dress what it was. :flowers:

I have never seen Diana´s wedding dress, I have seen the videos of her in it and there is no doubt she made it beautiful, it was really just a huge amount of crumpled silk, but on her with that really beautiful (perhaps not the most valuable) tiara, she looked a picture and the wedding photos with her bridesmaids were fabulous.
When we see how much people paid for her dresses when she herself sold them for charity we can see how the wedding dress could be described as priceless.
Though I can´t think of anyone in the world who could wear it and make it as beautiful as she did.

I do agree with you, Lady Ann. I was trying to be heartless and set a $ figure on everything. As you know, there's always the cost of the materials of the item and then the origin and history of the item. For example, the Liberty Bell probably wouldn't fetch much for its metal, but as far as we Americans are concerned it's a one of a kind and couldn't be replaced.

My figures for the wedding dress were pretty much a guesstimate, sort of based upon the price of the Travolta dress and the Elvis dress, etc. The greatest value is in our memories of that day... and it is priceless for that.

So it isn't history, it isn't exquisite craft-work, it isn't even popular culture? It's money uh: are there any genuine people who don't look at something and see dolar signs before their eyes? Fortunately there are, so our condolences go out to the money grubbers and their fetid little minds.

I'm sure they will thank you for your good wishes.:whistling: The sad fact is that to any insurance company, sentiment, craftsmanship, culture etc is worth £0.

I have learned that Diana, A Celebration is coming in November to my Art Museum at Grand Rapids, Michigan. I can not wait to see the exhibit. It has now started to be exhibited in Atlanta, Georgia.

We are able to get the exhibit because one of the Amway founder's Devos relative asked Earl Spencer if we could have the exhibit in a midsize town in America. Amway headquarters is in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

They say about 90 million people will see the exhibit.:);):)

This exhibit comes to where I live this November. I can not wait to see Princess Diana's wedding dress and the Spencer tiara. :);):)

I read that the money gotten at this sale will help with refurbishing the home. The roof is need of replacement. I wonder how much money is needed for upkeep each year on a
house of that size?:);):)

Well, he did not let her live there when she was alive, now he makes a tour of her things?

If you mean Diana?
There aren't her things, they are family heirlooms, which he has the right to sell.
And as for living there, I didn't even know she wanted to.

At about the time of the divorce she asked her brother is she could live in one of the homes on the estate. He originally said 'yes' but then changed his mind. I have read that it wasn't so much that he said 'no' as that he said 'no' to the house that she wanted as it was near the front entrance and security would be an issue.

At about the time of the divorce she asked her brother is she could live in one of the homes on the estate. He originally said 'yes' but then changed his mind. I have read that it wasn't so much that he said 'no' as that he said 'no' to the house that she wanted as it was near the front entrance and security would be an issue.

That is also my recollection.

I attended an Exhibition of Diana's Dresses in Branson, MO

I was able to attend an exhibition of Diana's dresses and memorabilia from her life at the Branson Exhibition Center in Branson, MO. The exhibition is going to be here about 6 months. It was pretty impressive to see all the collectibles and memorabilia they had. It's the one that was at Disney - but they have expanded it.

The pink beaded dress Diana wore in India was breathtaking! I never could understand how anyone could spend 20,000 dollars on a dress like celebrities do sometimes. However, when I saw the intricate hand beading on that dress, I realized I wouldn't charge less than 20,000 for all the work in it.

Below is information about the exhibit.

Overview: Diana — The People’s Princess is a fascinating, full-scale exhibition which gives an intimate glimpse at the life of Princess Diana— as told through her own personal objects and stories from every day life.

Displayed in a stunning 26,000-sq. ft. setting at the new Branson Exhibition Center, this exhibition showcases an impressive collection of her own dresses-- which she auctioned for charity weeks before her untimely death-- as well as hundreds of artifacts relating to her life in a world-class, museum-quality, interactive experience.
From handwritten notes to intriguing insight into her life as a member of the British royal family, this special engagement offers a rich, personal perspective and showcases the life and passions of one of the most iconic and inspirational individuals of our age, Princess Diana.

Location: The Branson Exhibition Center (formerly Roy Rogers Museum)
3950 Green Mountain Drive
Branson, MO 65616
Hours:

Monday – Thursday: 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. (last entry at 8 p.m.)
Friday – Saturday: 9 a.m. – 10 p.m. (last entry at 9 p.m.)
Sunday: 12 noon – 6 p.m. (last entry at 5 p.m.)

Ticket Prices:
Adult: $19.95
Senior (62+):
$17.95
Child (4-12): $ 9.95
College Student (With Valid ID): $17.95
Family Pack (2 Adults & 2 Children): $55
(All prices include tax)

Back
Top Bottom