The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre_Real016 View Post
also, i think that even if the Churchill-Spencer family's imperial titles were passed down through the female line, they may have also relinquished it during the anti-German sentiment during World War I much like what the Battenbergs did..
The use of foregn royal or noble titles requires approval by Royal Warrant.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
The use of foregn royal or noble titles requires approval by Royal Warrant.
i believe Queen Anne approved of Churchill's imperial titles.. in fact, Churchill is the only British citizen to have ever given not just a foreign title like that of the Duke of Wellington, but an actual state and served as its sovereign..

Old 11-21-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234 View Post
I read somewhere that Diana was also related to former u.s. secretary Colin Powell. I wish I could remember the link.
Ancestry of Colin Powell

William Addams Reitwiesner recently died, but his website is still up.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Aristocracy

I am not sure about Colin Powell being related to Diana, but as she is descended from a Miss Jobs, an American, it could be from there. Incidentally, most of the Spencer money came from her so why not!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Recently,Earl Spencer gave an interview to an American newspaper,basically he talked about Althorp as a historical value.
Patricia Sheridan's Breakfast With ... Charles, the ninth Earl Spencer
Old 12-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
Recently,Earl Spencer gave an interview to an American newspaper,basically he talked about Althorp as a historical value.
Patricia Sheridan's Breakfast With ... Charles, the ninth Earl Spencer
Very nice article. Probably one of the best I've read with the Earl. Thank you for the link.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Lady Raine Spencer, stepmother of the late Diana, Princess of Wales took part in the concert "Icons of Russian Ballet" dedicated to Anna Pavlova in London.
- Picture

I wasn't sure where to post news about Raine; my apologies if this is the wrong thread.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:49 AM
Majesty

The connections between the Royal Family and the Spencers goes back literally hundreds of years, although Diana was the first Spencer to marry into the Royal Family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
anne with sarah? It's the first time that the royal family and the spencer are toghether without william and harry?
Old 05-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
The connections between the Royal Family and the Spencers goes back literally hundreds of years, although Diana was the first Spencer to marry into the Royal Family.
yes, of course, diana was in line with harles II, but sine diana death only we can see the spencer and windsor together with william and harry. Diana's funeral, diana's fountain diana's 10 anniversary and william's wedding. I think in some birtdays of the boys too but never see the spencer and windsor togheter without william or harry
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 05-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Gentry

Really, the Spencers are the most illustrious family from British aristocracy, they descend directly of all kings and queens of England who left descendants, except from the Windsor Kings ("Windsor" are actually the Saxe Coburgh Gotha, originally from a german principality). Diana's grandmother Ruth Roche, Baroness Fermoy was the closest friend of the Queen Mother, and her and the Queen were present in Frances and the 8th Earl Spencer Wedding.The Queen is Godmother Diana's brother Lord Spencer.
I've found another pics from Lady Sarah Mccorquodale and Princess Anne in that same event and another pics of her that shows Lady Sarah's interests are those typical from aristocracy, as horses and huntings:
http://medias.photodeck.com/931edafc...165_xlarge.jpg
http://medias.photodeck.com/f4792a1e...179_xlarge.jpg
http://medias.photodeck.com/d91bf27e...168_xlarge.jpg
http://medias.photodeck.com/25bc5ede...171_xlarge.jpg
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...12Feb11-93.jpg
http://medias.photodeck.com/cf8ee6ca...083_xlarge.jpg
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...d-5Mar11-9.jpg
http://medias.photodeck.com/58a032c8...184_xlarge.jpg
http://medias.photodeck.com/94525768...077_xlarge.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6192/...18ac60a910.jpg
Lady Sarah McCorquodale with Prince William and Kate Middleton
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...04_468x386.jpg
http://www.royaltyinthenews.com/wp-c...lliam-Aunt.jpg
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/P...LwrrKb-DZl.jpg
Lady Sarah Mccorquodale and Lady Jane, Baroness Fellowes and Chelsy Davy:
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...Di-Sisters.jpg
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...Di-Sisters.jpg
Lady Sarah in recent Wedding of Spencer family:
http://www.heatworld.com/images/1011...Corquodale.jpg
Thanksgiving for Diana
http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/767...0D22D75EAB5FDE
An article about the Spencer sisters and the royal connections of Jane, Baroness Fellowes
http://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&rc...WDL9GZ3de4SakA
Old 05-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Well we have a lot of old and illustrious families in the UK, many of which can claim descent from ancient royal lines, including the Spencers but I don't think I would say the Spencers are the most illustrious. Certainly not in their contributions to the nation.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Majesty

Had it not been for Diana's marriage to The Prince of Wales, most of us-especially outside of the UK--probably would never had heard of them.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Had it not been for Diana's marriage to The Prince of Wales, most of us-especially outside of the UK--probably would never had heard of them.
Yeah, of course, actually what all the world has been heard is about Victoria Beckham, Lady Gaga and the Kardashian girls, shallow mainstream culture, but we are talking about the British aristocracy, that was until recent times (but not now) one of the most closed and exclusive stabilishments of the world. Very snobbish and arrogant, of course, but it doesn't change the fact Lady Diana Spencer was a direct descendant of all Tudor kings, Stuart Kings, form Mary Queen of Scots, William the Conqueror, and also of all the main kings and queens of the Europe's history as Charlemagne, the Medici family from Florence, the Kings of France, the Habsburgs. Of course it is just interesting, no human being is best or worst due to the ancestors. And, hadn't the Stuart Kings left no descendants, the "Windsors" (actually Saxe Coburgh Gotha, originary from an obscure german principality) would be totally unknown right now... That's the way things be, and there's a concensus among genealogists that the Spencers have far more royal bood in their veins than the Windsors, and it is very rare a direct lineage from so many crowned heads. Diana even descends from the ancient Kings of Persia and Babilonia, as Darius. And there was certainly prejudice, 'cause Frances used to say the Windsors were "little germans", Diana talked about she had married into a "german family". And when Prince Philip and the Queen have threatened Diana to taking her the tittle , she answered "My tittle is older than yours!"
Old 05-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Heir Apparent

While the Spencer's are an aristocratic family with an old and noble lineage, and even some royal lineage through largely illegitimate lines, to say they are more royal than the BRF is stretching reality more than a little bit. It makes a good story though.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Eh, some aristos used to sneer at the Spencers as "sheep farmers!"

Just goes to show, no matter how high your position, you can always find a bigger snob to look down on you.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Gentry

Some royal lineage? The Spencers descend directly from practically all most important queens and kings from Europe (and even outside of it), who has "some" royal lineage are the Saxe Coburgh Gotha. The nobility of a family is measured as older a noble family is, that's fact, I've learned it 'cause I'm an amateur genealogist, eh,eh. But it's only a curiosity, and it's a just interesting, but no more than that, I don't think those people are better than you or me, or anyone just because who their ancestors were. And even the British aristocracy is leveling down, it was no surprise that Kate Middleton descends from a jailbird, a dustman, and a road sweeper. I think that's amazing, that's democracy, we are all just human beings!Really, the Spencers were sheep farmers who became very rich, there was a time when they were richer than the Royal Family, but they wanted nobility, so what they did? They married their sons and daughters into the descendants of queen and kings, their women were noble, and their blood was "nobler" in every generation. That's the way things worked, and they were ambitious... That's it! Indeed, I think that explains a lot of things, Diana looked down to the Windsors, so she dared to defy them, so Earl Charles Spencer in his eulogy, it was extremely arrogant, you know, the Queen was there and the planetary audience... I think for the Spencers the Windsors where no more than corny germen. Of course I think it is snobbish, and I do think arrogance and Spencers could be synonyms, or being, I haven't a total sympathy for them...
Old 05-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Majesty

Believe me, the women you mentioned are of no interest to me. The Spencers are an illustrious family, no doubt about that. We'd learn about various families through studying British history in school--but I don't remember hearing about the Spencers until Diana came along.

I couldn't understand Diana's comment about "my title is older than yours, Philip," because Diana didn't have a title. Her style of "Lady" was a courtesy title that referred to her father's title of Earl Spencer, not one that she personally owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariana Pazza View Post
And when Prince Philip and the Queen have threatened Diana to taking her the tittle , she answered "My tittle is older than yours!"
Old 05-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

well, the spencer are a noble family from some centurys along, william when become king will be the firt in line with charles II, for example. I have the line complete of diana and in some point diana and charles are cousins, I don't know the nivel.
But it's normal that the name spencer was unknow until diana married charles, but in the high class of england was very know.

surely it can reach higher than the spencer, all the glory will be the day that William becomes king. after all, he is half spencer
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 05-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Believe me, the women you mentioned are of no interest to me. The Spencers are an illustrious family, no doubt about that. We'd learn about various families through studying British history in school--but I don't remember hearing about the Spencers until Diana came along.

I couldn't understand Diana's comment about "my title is older than yours, Philip," because Diana didn't have a title. Her style of "Lady" was a courtesy title that referred to her father's title of Earl Spencer, not one that she personally owned.
Oh, sorry, I never wanted to mean you have any interest for shallow celebrities, how could I know that, besides, it seems to me people interested in royalty have in general a better taste and a higher culture than those interested in mainstream culture. As I'm a foreigner, I'm easily and frequently misunderstood! I only have mentioned that to ilustrate how an illustrious family tree is not a garantee of being a planetary celebrity. Indeed, "celebrity" is considered something very vulgar for the high aristocracy. I think for sure Diana was referring to the fact her family's nobility is older than that of the Windsors, and she had more Kings and Queens of England as her direct ancestors than the current reigning house. She had said "tittle" as her family in general. I remember I have read sometime that before Diana's Wedding, her father said her: "Always remember you are a Spencer!" An excerpt about that:.."But the British Royal Wedding hasn’t just exposed the British public’s fascination of where the Middleton’s come from – they care about where everyone comes from. As this rather amazing article in New York Magazine noted: the current House of Windsor are seen by some members of the landed British aristocracy as nothing more then “middle-class Hanoverians.” The Royal Family as you may or may not know only became the House of Windsor in 1910, changing their name (how common!) from the German sounding House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (Queen Victoria’s husband, Prince Albert, was Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha). And Diana, upon being threated by Prince Phillip: "If you don't behave, my girl, we'll take your title away." Diana is alleged to have replied: "My title is a lot older than yours, Philip." Diana was only too happy to remind Philip that while he may be married to the Queen, the Spencer family has been titled since the 1500’s. Snap."-
I remember reading that Diana's great-great-great-grandmother Sarah Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough (1660-1744) had left court coming back to Blenheim Palace when the first King of german dinasty was crowned because, in her words "the King is too German!" I think the most remarkable Spencer until now is Sir Winston Spencer Churchill, whose contributions for British nation and for world politics in general are inestimable. Of couse the Tudor and Stuart kings where of great importance for England, but they were not Spencer, tough direct ancestor of the nowadays Spencers.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Majesty

Prince Philip was born a Prince of Greece and Denmark, and Denmark has Europe's oldest monarchy. Therefore, Philip's original title was older than Diana's. I agree with you about Sir Winston Churchill. He was a great man.

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, genealogy, museum, princess diana