The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
So if I were American, I may have been more inclined to have formed a similar opinion?.lol.
American loved Diana, Princess of Wales. When she danced with John Travolta at the White House that was her making here.

Quote:
I also see no reason for Earl Spencer to give a reading. What uncle who is a guest, and not a member of the wedding party, ever gives a speech? I find that notion rather odd myself.
Again in this thread it is mentioned that he was asked. I can not remember if it was at the abbey or a reception.

Quote:
So yes, we will have to agree to disagee :)

Yes, it states that they will be seated behind William and Catherine's friends. So not immediately after the Middleton's as I suggested, but still in one of the four most prominent localities.
I don't think blood relatives should be seated after friends. Sorry.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
American loved Diana, Princess of Wales. When she danced with John Travolta at the White House that was her making here.
Many Australian's adored Diana, but I fail to see what one's nationality has to do with it. That's all.

Quote:
I don't think blood relatives should be seated after friends. Sorry.
And I would not endeavour to query that opinion :)

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-26-2011, 01:03 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Looking back there is certainly a possiblity that Charles regretted his decision not to let Diana live at Althrop. But really, who can blame him. Let's not forget the press was relentless with Diana after the divorce. He might have been thinking if she had a place to call home, she might not have felt the need to hang out with Dodi. But I think the living after an agrument with someone who has died, always has regrets.
The press was relentless with Princess Diana since she dated Prince Charles. The press became ruthless after she got rid of her police protection.

As stated in Diana by Sarah Bradford Princess Diana decided after losing Garden House at Althorp to get rid of her protection. The relationship with her brother Charles after the house situation was not close. Near then end of her life Diana visited him in South Africa and they were friends again. I think to this day his speech in the abbey was to protect his sister in death after all he is head of the Spencer household and wanted the world to heard Diana's side.

Off topic. Princess Diana's mother was not on speaking terms with Diana when she died. I think her death was hell for Francis.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Yes, it states that they will be seated behind William and Catherine's friends. So not immediately after the Middleton's as I suggested, but still in one of the four most prominent localities.

IMO, they'll be as far from the RF as it is possible to place them, without the snub becoming obvious.
As it is now, it's still possible to argue either way.

(If Earl Spencer gives a reading, I may faint from the shock! I think it's equally likely Kate's Uncle Gary would be asked to give one!)
Old 04-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Administrator

From the seating chart it doesn't appear that they are sitting behind the Middleton family and friends. They are actually sitting across the aisle from them. Charles, Jane, Sarah and their spouses (and fiance) are actually sitting in the front row...how is this a snub?

Below is a chart provided by Madame Royale in the Guest list thread. I hardly qualifiy this as behind.

Quote:

The Royal Wedding

Furthermore, I see absolutely nothing wrong with the seating plan.

The Spencers are seated across the way from foreign royal representation. To have some people suggest they have been treated inappropriately is just rediculous imo.
And I am sorry, if Diana was alive...the Spencers still would NOT be sitting with the British Royal Family. The only people who sit with the BRF are members of the BRF.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Courtier

Maybe if anyone can drag up the setting-arrangements from Charles & Dianas Wedding? .. but that wouldn't help that much probably, as DOE's Family is also Royal -

To poor me - the seeting looks fine - I can see no slight to Charlie Spencer .. who seems keen enought to slight the BRF whenever he can.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Actually what would be helfpul is to see the seating chart of Peter Phillips wedding (which we know is private). Since his parents were divorced, one does wonder where the Phillips sat. But then again, it wasn't like they had to invite foreign royals and government ministers.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Courtier

True good point, Zonk
Old 04-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Administrator

I certainly understand the concept that family and friends of the bride sit on one side and those associated with the groom sit on another side. That is what happens in normal weddings. But this isn't a normal wedding. If William was William Wales or Joe Smith, I would imagine that the Spencers would merge in the crowd with the Wales's and/or the Smiths. But again, this isn't a normal wedding. This is a royal wedding.

William is the heir's heir and there is protocol that must be accounted for. I mean, does anyone remember Charles and Camilla not going to the Westminister wedding because the Queen was going and as result Charles couldn't sit with Camilla? There are different rules involved.

Again, I repeat my earlier statement. If Diana was alive, the Spencers still would not be sitting with the BRF.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Heir Apparent

It's interesting to think where infact Diana would have sat. As the grooms mother I would think she'd have sat beside the royal family. In any case I'd like to think she'd have taken, given the nature of the ceremony, precedence over any other women beside the Queen in the abbey.

Anyway, that's a guessing game that is endless.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Without a doubt in my mind, if Diana was alive she would be sitting with the Royal Family in the front row. Didn't the Queen insist that upon her divorce (although she lost the HRH title) she was still considered a member of the BRF?

There is no way that William would have allowed her to be treated any differently than the Mother of the Groom.

But I agree, we can talk about that for days and it doesn't change the fact that Diana is no longer here physically.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Without a doubt in my mind, if Diana was alive she would be sitting with the Royal Family in the front row. Didn't the Queen insist that upon her divorce (although she lost the HRH title) she was still considered a member of the BRF?
I do believe it was something to that effect.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Royal Highness

Where Princess Diana might have sit is a loaded question.

I think it would depend on these factors:
Princess Diana and Prince Charles are friends now.
Diana, Princess of Wales was still close to her grow up sons after the divorce.
She had another husband and family and move on from the House of Windsor.
Diana might have bad feeling towards Camilla and not want to sit near her.
I think she would have sat with her siblings. And the Spencer siblings and Diana would be seated on the grooms side. She was very proud of her heritage.

Getting back to the wedding and the Spencer siblings. I feel that they should have sat with the royal family to honor Diana. It is my opinion that 3 seats would be no problem to reserve in Westminster Abbey.

I guess with everyone I have to disagree to agree.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It is my opinion that 3 seats would be no problem to reserve in Westminster Abbey.
Six seats actually, and they have been reserved. All three of Diana's siblings are either married or soon will be.

And then theres the question of their respective families, if they have been invited to attend which as it stands, we currently do not know.

So it's not a matter of three seats at all and as the seating arrangements which have been released clearly indicate, the Spencers are seated across from foreign royals and the Middleton attendee's. A prime position it would seem.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Actually 7 seats...don't forget Great Aunt Anne. And then why would they (Sarah, Jane and Charles) be separated from their children. Were they expected to sit with the BRF as well?

Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea

I am an American, I liked Diana, I like Will and Kate- I hate Earl Spencer but I don't believe they are being snubbed bc this wedding is different then a wedding you or I may attend it isn't brides side /grooms side, it's Royals and non Royals period.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea
Again in this thread it is mentioned that he was asked. I can not remember if it was at the abbey or a reception.
An article did,when they were first engaged, suggest the Earl would give a speech and you're right we did discuss....luckily I believe that articles proven false :)
Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Articles also suggested that Kanye West was also going to attend. So far nothing.

In regards to the Earl giving a speech, if he was close to William and was going to be mindful of the place (not using it as an opportunity to rehash old issues) than I wouldn't have a problem with giving him a speech. He is after all William's uncle, but it appears that his giving a speech is not the cards.

Thats not to say that Sarah or Jane or another Spencer could give a reading. Eugenie, did after all, give a reading of a scripture at Peter's wedding.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Actually 7 seats...don't forget Great Aunt Anne.
How remiss of me
Quote:

And then why would they (Sarah, Jane and Charles) be separated from their children. Were they expected to sit with the BRF as well
I agree.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Actually 7 seats...don't forget Great Aunt Anne. And then why would they (Sarah, Jane and Charles) be separated from their children. Were they expected to sit with the BRF as well?
If you want to be technically correct 7 seats. But my reasoning is if seating is limited to just four. I think for the wedding if seating is limited their spouses, fiancee and children could sit else where. I don't think that would be a problem. At the receptions that would be a problem.

Like I have stated in the past, Diana, Princess of Wales would have been honored if her siblings would sit with the royals. This might be a royal wedding, but Diana, Princess of Wales in my opinion is not being represented at the wedding. And I guess being a Diana fan is more important than being American. I guess that fan part is the REAL REASON FOR MY FEELINGS OF A SPENCER SNUB.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Courtier

mhh.. when I got married, my father was allready dead - do you think I should have invited his sister and her kidds to represent my father at my wedding? Of course I didn't. I mean, they where invited and there of course - but as themselves .. as family .. ... why should it be diffrent with Dianas family?

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, genealogy, museum, princess diana