The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
This is the Wikipedia page showing the descent of the Danish monarchy from Gorm The Old - User:The Emperor's New Spy/Sandbox/Descent of Margarethe II from Gorm the Old - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No. 29, Louise of Hesse-Kassel, was the mother of both Alexandra, consort of Edward VII of Great Britain, and George I (William) of Greece (Prince Philip's grandfather).
great! thanks.. it seems Diana also descends from Gorm the Old through Anne of Denmark, Queen of England and Scotland, mother of Charles I and grandmother of Charles II and James II as well as the mother of Elizabeth Stuart who's granddaughter was Raugravine Karoline of the Palatinate, ancestor of Diana, Princess of Wales through the line of her grandmother Cynthia Hamilton, Countess Spencer.. :)

Old 01-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
There has been, broadcast on PBS in July, and it's pretty good.
Here is the PBS link [not available in some countries]
Video: Secrets of Althorp - The Spencers | Watch Secrets of the Manor House Online | PBS Video
I watched that, and I really enjoyed it. Though I did have a question about something after I watched that and some documentaries on the Downton Abbey house. How is it Earl Spencer was able to re do the whole house (according to him ) but it is very hard for The Carnarvons and others to fix up their homes? For example I think there are still quite a few rooms and even the roof needs to be fixed on Highclere Castle. Though I don't know when the documentary I am thinking of was done so it could have been fixed up by now.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:58 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Althorp the house would still receive a sizeable number of visitors (although it is currently closed) and the Estate is run on a commercial basis. Maintenance is progressive and if large projects such as the recent re-roofing couldn't be paid for in cash then a bank loan based on future income may have been available.

I would imagine that Highclere would be toting up the cash from the increased number of visitors over the past few years. No matter how good the paying attendance figures, no aristocrat with a large house and estate to maintain is going to cry rich.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I do think a documentary should be made on Althorp. I think there's a great deal of history behind the estate.
There is a documentary out there about Althorp and it is recent. I saw it on my PBS station. There was also one about Highclare and another one or two that I can't remember right now. They were shown after "Downton Abbey" on Sunday nights in 2013 and are repeated often. I don't know where you live or if these documentaries were only shown in America but you can probably find them on Netflix or similar.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Rare Pictures:
On 1 June 1954, Princess Diana’s parents, Lord Spencer and Frances Ruth Roche, the younger daughter of the 4th Baron Fermoy, were married in Westminster Abbey by Percy Herbert, Bishop of Norwich.

HM The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, The Queen Mother, Princess Margaret and other members of the Royal Family attended-
The Queen and her Duke | On 1 June 1954, Princess Diana

A.W. TOZER
Old 08-19-2014, 07:17 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Princess Diana's memorial 'neglected', former royal chef claims - Telegraph
17 August 2014

Princess Diana's memorial 'neglected', former royal chef claims

Princess Diana’s brother Earl Spencer has been criticised for allowing her memorial stone to become "messy and overgrown", by her former chef.

Darren McGrady, who worked for the Princess of Wales after her divorce from Prince Charles in 1996, accused her brother of neglecting the gravestone which is situated in the grounds of his Althorp Estate.

The chef tweeted a series of images of the memorial, which is placed on an island in a lake, surrounded by overgrown vegetation and algae covered water. Mr McGrady, who also spent 11 years working at Buckingham Palace, said: “If I cared for Princess Diana in life as you are doing in death I would have been fired. Please tidy up the vegetation on the island. Prove you wanted Princess Diana there through love and not just to make money.”

While Diana’s final resting place was kept a secret for security reasons, a memorial including a small temple was built on the Althorp Estate which people can visit for £18.

Mr McGrady, who now works in Texas and calls himself The Royal Chef on Twitter, added: “Made me so sad to see how Althorp Estate has neglected Princess Diana's resting place.”

A spokesman for the estate said the spread of algae was the result of a hot summer and was a common problem. He said: “Algae is an unsightly problem for many lakes in the summer months...the exceptional temperatures of this summer have made the task of keeping it entirely under control extremely difficult.”
Old 10-13-2014, 10:16 AM
Majesty

I'm reading the recorded Bradford Diana. It's read by Katherine Kellgren. She pronounces Althorp all-trip. I remember the TV program Secrets of Althorp using the pronounciation all-thorp. Are both used?
Old 10-13-2014, 10:46 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I'm reading the recorded Bradford Diana. It's read by Katherine Kellgren. She pronounces Althorp all-trip. I remember the TV program Secrets of Althorp using the pronounciation all-thorp. Are both used?
Awl thrup as far as I remember. Doesnt have to look sensible. Its English. Bear in mind that Featherstonehaugh is pronounced Fanshawe.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Awl thrup as far as I remember. Doesnt have to look sensible. Its English. Bear in mind that Featherstonehaugh is pronounced Fanshawe.
Thanks, Cepe. Sometimes I think I must be going mad!
Old 10-25-2014, 12:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

BTW, I just finished Earl Spencer's book on Althorp and I thought it extremely well written. The Eton shows.
And he discribes the pronunciation as Awl-thrupp.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:43 AM
Royal Highness

Bit of trivial

Ann Spencer's first child was a girl that she named Elizabeth Sarah.
John Spencer's first child was a girl that he named Elizabeth Sarah.

Ann Spencer's 4th pregnancy resulted in a girl which she named Diana.
John Spencer's 4th child was a girl which he named Diana.

Ann & John both had 5 children each.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:52 PM
Majesty

​Charles Spencer on Diana, Althorp and the death of kings - CBS News

The interior of Althorp looks amazing
Old 03-15-2015, 06:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Althorp is indeed a beautiful family home.

I think William and Harry visit once in a while and whenever they have the spare time. All private, so we'll never know about it.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
...But his best line came during the discussion of Althorp, the 500-year-old family pile for 19 Spencer generations, which he inherited when he was 27 after his father died. It has 90 rooms, some of which he hasn't even been in.

"I know it sounds absurd," he says, when Oprah jumps in to say it's not so absurd now that Americans have been introduced to Downton Abbey.

Downton creator Julian Fellowes, a titled aristocrat himself, is a pal, Spencer says.

"I did have the joy of sending Julian a clip from the Los Angeles Times where there was a profile of my house and the reviewer said it made Downton Abbey look Downton shabby."
More: Diana's house: Better than Downton Abbey?
Old 06-28-2015, 01:27 AM
Royal Highness

Any Oz posters interested in Althorp - this is the property being covered in this coming week's episode of "Secrets of the Manor House".

SBS ONE and SBS HD this Saturday 4th July at 7.30pm.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Any Oz posters interested in Althorp - this is the property being covered in this coming week's episode of "Secrets of the Manor House".

SBS ONE and SBS HD this Saturday 4th July at 7.30pm.
Thanks for letting me know about this.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Royal Highness

General question

If John Spencer had died in 1978 of his brain aneurysm who would have administered Althorp and until Charles Spencer reached what age?

In 1978, Charles Spencer was 14.
Hopefully he would not have been given complete control of Althorp at just 14 or would he?

Would Raine have administered the estate?
The Spencer children did not like Raine and considering how they treated her when John died in 1992 would she have been allowed to stay at Althorp after 1978?

Would Frances?
Frances was divorced from John and remarried but she was the mother of Charles Spencer would she had been allowed to move back into Althorp and take control of the estate?

Sarah Spencer?
Sarah was 23 in 1978 would she have been allowed or did she need to be older or male?

Anne Spencer Wake-Walker?
She was John's sister. Would it have fallen on her or did they need a male from the Spencer line?

I understand that a will might have been in place but if there was no will what would have happened?

Thanks

(Mods, If not in right place please move.)
Old 12-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
You raise some very interesting questions and although I have no clue what would have happened, I would be very interested in knowing the answers.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Why did the Spencer children dislike Raine so intensely?
Old 12-01-2015, 10:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

The children were raised in a broken home and had problems accepting their stepmother back in the day.

A.W. TOZER

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, genealogy, museum, princess diana