The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Serene Highness

1989 - Rare family photo

http://25.media.tumblr.com/0f89ba4ff...i0jao1_500.jpg

Old 02-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

I do think a documentary should be made on Althorp. I think there's a great deal of history behind the estate.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Just reading all the info on the estate site, it's got tons of history.

LaRae
Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Majesty

IMO, if there was no connection to Diana, then this House doesn't really rate a mention. I have a number of friends in the US and I have never listed this as a must visit place. Outside of London, I would say Windsor (history across the ages + royal factor); Blenheim - architectural masterpiece; Chatsworth (home of the Dukes of DEvonshire) for the grandeur and scale of English nobility and for the rugged coastal view - Alnwick the seat of the Dukes of Northumberland.

There are probably a 100 houses like Althorp so it isn't outstanding.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Althorp rates a documentary. Yes, there are many homes like it, but perhaps this just means there should be many documentaries.

Here is a very short clip of Tim Wonnacott there which I saw in an episode of Bargain Hunt. Tim Wonnacott of BBC's Bargain Hunt visits Althorp House I don't know whether this has been posted earlier in the thread, and it's a very long thread so forgive me if I don't check through it.

The home has an interesting history, and is full of interesting and significant paintings and items. I also saw Fiona Bruce's visit for Antiques Roadshow, but I can't find a video of that.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelydiana View Post
I was thinking about this a couple days ago I know a lot about Diana but I was jst wondering if Diana had any cousins? I don't think i've read that her father and mother had sisters or brothers and I hve never heard of her aunts or uncles. So did Diana have any aunts or uncles or any cousins growing up?
I heard she has 6th cousins from--- a very knowledgeable source-- so she must have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th cousins as well.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by figureskater View Post
I heard she has 6th cousins from--- a very knowledgeable source-- so she must have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th cousins as well.
Having 1st through 5th cousins isn't the result of having 6th cousins. You only have 1st cousins if your parents had siblings who in turn had children.

Diana's father, Edward John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer, had one sibling, a sister named Anne, who had 5 children - Elizabeth, David, Richard, Michael, and Diana.

Diana's mother, Hon. Francis Ruth Burke Roche, had a brother, Edmund, and a sister, Mary. Each had 4 children; Edmund: Francis, Elizabeth, Patrick, and Edmund; Mary: Alexandra, Antonia, Joanna, and Edward.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

People go on about Diana's aristocratic European links but her ancestry has some others in it as well. She also passed along some Indian and Armenian bloodlines to her sons through a family housekeeper who bore one of her ancestors a child.
Prince William's Indian ancestry revealed by DNA analysis - Indian Express
Old 06-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
People go on about Diana's links but her ancestry has some others in it as well. She also passed along some Indian abd Amernian bloodlines to her sons through a family housekeeper who bore one of her ancestors a child.
The original article is from the Times. I didn't know about this thread and so I've posted the info under Duke of Cambridge. Mods can move them here if its more appropriate.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
People go on about Diana's aristocratic European links but her ancestry has some others in it as well. She also passed along some Indian and Amernian bloodlines to her sons through a family housekeeper who bore one of her ancestors a child.
And lets not forget the American angle on Diana's mother's side in Frank and Ellen Work. Their daughter Frances (Fannie) was among the creme de la creme of New York society in her time. TBH, I think this is where the tendency to use Frances or Francis stems from in Diana's family.

I think it makes for some interesting reading.

Spencers |
Old 06-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Majesty

What I found interesting about the Indian link, is of course that William will one day be Head of the Commonwealth. ( I know this is an assumption because it is not automatic but it is a safe assumption.)

Old 06-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Royal Highness

Andrew Parker Bowles is a 4th cousin to Diana

George Charles Bingham, 3rd Earl of Lucan> Charles George, 4th Earl of Lucan> Rosaline> Cynthia Hamilton> John Spencer> Diana

George Charles Bingham, 3rd Earl of Lucan> Augusta> Mildred Sturt> Cynthia Cadogan> Ann De Trafford > APB

I knew there was link with Diana and Andrew but not the one I was looking for. I am still looking for link between the Fermoys & the PBs.

Any help?
Old 07-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Nobility

"Secrets of Althorp: The Spencers"

For those of you in the U.S. who might be interested, tomorrow, Sunday, July 7th @ 8pm ET, PBS will air "Secrets of Althorp: The Spencers" a documentary about Diana's family home narrated by her brother, Charles.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Cannot wait to see it! Saw it advertised on PBS a couple hours ago!

LaRae
Old 07-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Royal Highness

Saw the program was disappointed, it was made for the American audience. They spent about 15 minutes of a 52 minute program on Diana.

Charles Spencer didn't sound as arrogant as I thought he would but then he was promoting his family home to the American market.

When he was describing the Duchess of Marlborough he sounded like he was describing Diana.

Seeing Althrop had 90 rooms and 31 bedrooms, I can understand why Diana was disappointed with Highgrove & Kensingston Palace. It probably felt like she had married down.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:43 AM
Serene Highness

I saw the Althorp program and found it interesting. And you are right, he didn't sound arrogant.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Saw the program was disappointed, it was made for the American audience. They spent about 15 minutes of a 52 minute program on Diana.

Charles Spencer didn't sound as arrogant as I thought he would but then he was promoting his family home to the American market.

When he was describing the Duchess of Marlborough he sounded like he was describing Diana.

Seeing Althrop had 90 rooms and 31 bedrooms, I can understand why Diana was disappointed with Highgrove & Kensingston Palace. It probably felt like she had married down.
I was irritated that they obviously mispronounced Althorp for the American audience as Al-thorp...when in the uk and if you visit there they make a point of telling you it is pronounced Al- trup.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

I like that the program helped highlight the Spencer & Washington link.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I was irritated that they obviously mispronounced Althorp for the American audience as Al-thorp...when in the uk and if you visit there they make a point of telling you it is pronounced Al- trup.
When the current Earl was a reporter for NBC, he pronounced both his then title (Viscount Althorp) and the family home as "All-thorp". Diana did the same. I've got it on video somewhere...
Old 07-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Nobility

I watched the Althorp documentary Sunday and considering the program was a little less than an hour, it is interesting what Earl Spencer chose to include. I enjoyed the various stories including one about a previous Earl Spencer (Charles' grandfather?) snatching away Winston Churchill's cigar as he was smoking it in the Althorp library. The close connection between the Spencer family and their neighbors, George Washington's ancestors, including their falling on hard times and receiving assistance from the Spencers. The architectural history and recent restoration was also very interesting esp. the story surrounding the leaking roof and Charles's father leaving him the task of replacing it as well as replacing the tile façade which covered the original red bricks. The Althorpe Estate is very beautiful and despite some of the controversy over Charles Spencer (private life, etc) he seems to be fulfilling the family legacy by keeping the Althorp Estate "alive". Glad I watched, I learned something:)

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, genealogy, museum, princess diana